• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Game is dope as hell, but it's no secret that the market for these types of games is completely saturated.

A lot of people just weren't having it coming off of the Fallout 76 and Anthem fiascos, methinks.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There can only be so many Gaas Loot shooter on the market before people burnt out on all of them.....
The market doesnt have a problem with GaaS games. They're talking about an over saturation problem, too many choices for and money being spread thin. One of the unexpected market competition games they referring to is no doubt Apex Legends.

Sorry for the dumb question, but isn't the big sellling point of a GAAS game that there are no more sequels?
No. There was always going to be new entries to The Witcher, Elder Scrolls, Assassin's Creed, Zelda, etc.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
Itt: ppl who think td2 was a massive flop bc it didn't have snow
Truth is that it didn't miss expectations by that much, they expected to move I believe 19 million total units. (All Ubisoft games) and they moved 18 million, even if we say that was all entirely due to td2 that's not that big of a miss
Personally I'm looking forward to underground expansions that should debut at e3

danhz

Apr 20, 2018
they should have taken more time and made it a next gen game, would have been wiser.
If they going to release the avatar game with the film(end of 2021), they couldnt be giving more time to division 2.
If plans were TD1-TD2-Avatar, they couldnt have done TD1-Avatar-TD2. Releasing an avatar game 2 years before the film wouldnt have make any sense.

andyp2

Nov 3, 2017
Another game didn't meet the ambitious expectations of the dudes with spreadsheets, so much shock.

Oct 25, 2017
Incredible game, but sometimes expectations are out of control. Best soundtrack of the year, easy. Most fun of the year so far. Everything about it really is incredible and everyone should play it if they're considering it.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Where I am it's the complete opposite. Every single kid in my god sons class are on console including those on his football team. About 70% of them are on ps4 and he's the 30% on xbox.

Weird! I'm seeing a large lean to PC.

And they don't have a clue what to do when something goes wrong with it, as things invariably do with Windows and PCs. And they don't want to learn how to fix it either, it will be left to gather dust whilst they get on with gaming on their consoles again. Seen it happen.

Strange how PC gaming growth is not showing what your saying at all.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
True, but then D1 didn't launch in a world with PUBG, Fortnite and APEX.

It was always going to be a more difficult sell in the current climate

it literally sold inline with the first, one of the most hyped games of the generation without steam and in the world you mentioned above. Sales on PC are strong, no doubt!

Just think....NO Steam!

Oct 26, 2017
If TD2 can't even meet sales expectations then either Ubisoft's expectations were fucked or GAAS is doomed, I don't think it's realistically possible to launch a product like this in a better state.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
It certainly feels like there is a shift in the market. Fortnite has really eaten up a huge chunk of the market. XBL most played games is indicative of how a handful of evergreen titles such as GTAV, R6S, Roblox (obviously Fortnite) have dominated the top10 this gen. There is only so much time.

Also, this is the first major Ubisoft title in a while to fail to meet expectations, WD2 being the last one.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
You play the same activities over and over hoping for better loot, if that's not grindy then I don't know what is... On a side note I love grindy stuff so don't see that as a bad thing, the setting/story on the other hand sucks.
Imo repeating whole elaborate set of activity is not necessarily grind if the activity itself (and by extension the whole game) is designed with that replayability in mind.
I see grind as something like farming materials by killing enemies, going around to respawn them, then kill them again and so on....i.e. doing an activity that's not as elaborately designed or even designed in the first place but you do it anyway to gain the advantage and because of how monotonous it is it feels like you are slogging/grinding your way through.

But what do you say when the game has activities themselves that are elaborately designed to be played from start to finish repeatedly. I think there needs to be a certain distinction to be made between these two even if on the surface level they are the same.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And i was laughed at when i told people that TD 2 was not going to be as successful as TD.

It will be more successful due to the increased commitment in terms of additional content as time goes by.

TD1 also didn't have Fortnite to compete with which many people seem to ignore for these sorts of games.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Did they not factor Anthem into their sales predictions?

They must've had some unreasonable expectations if, even with Anthem's lacklustre performance, they still managed to overestimate their sales potential. I would think Anthem not soaking up as many sales as expected would make the difference with any reasonable prediction.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Idk, I thought it was a tremendous improvement over the first game.

If it wasn't for the museum's DC would be a boring ass setting though.

Progression in the game works amazing. You can find improved gear and guns everywhere. There is no cap on powerful gear (looking at you destiny)

Matchmaking for everything raids (still looking at you Bungie)

They should be proud of this game.

Unfortunately we live in this fortnite world fucking Everything up.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
These pub seem to think their games are the only games coming out or on the market.

Last edited:

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Having no idea about this game other than it is another Division, can someone explain what is "boring" about the setting? It's Washington DC, right? That sounds interesting to me.

I skipped Div 2 because I didn't enjoy Div 1. Not sure why the setting bears any blame.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Imo repeating whole elaborate set of activity is not necessarily grind if the activity itself (and by extension the whole game) is designed with that replayability in mind.
I see grind as something like farming materials by killing enemies, going around to respawn them, then kill them again and so on....i.e. doing an activity that's not as elaborately designed or even designed in the first place but you do it anyway to gain the advantage and because of how monotonous it is it feels like you are slogging/grinding your way through.

But what do you say when the game has activities themselves that are elaborately designed to be played from start to finish repeatedly. I think there needs to be a certain distinction to be made between these two even if on the surface level they are the same.

I can see that, I always used grind as doing the same activities over and over, then used farm when farming mats and stuff. Again I don't see grinding as a negative, some of my most favorite experiences in games this gen have been loading up the strike play list in destiny and grinding it for a few hours while relaxing.

Oct 30, 2017
It deserves more success in my opinion. It's my current GOTY. Really fantastic game.

Having no idea about this game other than it is another Division, can someone explain what is "boring" about the setting? It's Washington DC, right? That sounds interesting to me.

I skipped Div 2 because I didn't enjoy Div 1. Not sure why the setting bears any blame.

That criticism comes from people who either didn't buy that game or just played the beta. The setting in Division 2 is great, especially the designs of the strongholds. It doesn't have that dreary snowy New York feel that Div 1 had but it does have an interesting weather cycle and missions taking place in museums are really fun.

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

I think the location is actually pretty great once you dive into it. They did an amazing job recreating the city.

Deleted member 32563

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Anecdotal but I think the negative impact of Anthem affected GaaS as a whole. Here me out. I know many folks who felt so betrayed and bothered by that game who swore off looter shooters in general.

After a month or so of Anthem alot of my PS friends didn't go back to Destiny 2 and decided against Division 2. Probably a good game but guilty by association.

Many folks are just tired of the genre not taking innovative steps and just creating an uninspired addicting game loo all for greed. But who knows.....

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Idk, I thought it was a tremendous improvement over the first game.

If it wasn't for the museum's DC would be a boring ass setting though.

Progression in the game works amazing. You can find improved gear and guns everywhere. There is no cap on powerful gear (looking at you destiny)

Matchmaking for everything raids (still looking at you Bungie)

They should be proud of this game.

Unfortunately we live in this fortnite world fucking Everything up.

There is no matchmaking for raids. 😉

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
From the way people are talking in this thread you'd think the game is a flop.

Feels like any game that doesn't out do its predecessor in an immediate and explosive way is looked at as a disappointment. Its ridiculous and unrealistic expectations given how many more games now from every direction are demanding more and more of the player's time.

Deleted member 8784

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Shows just how ignorant you are.
Division 2 is not grindy at all.

Don't be daft.
Shall I put it differently? People want a better pay-off for their time investment than repeatedly playing the same pieces of content, earning the same rewards, weapons and armours but with higher numbers on them, until the numbers are eventually high enough that they can progress.

That's the loop with Destiny, the Division, Anthem. I think people are tiring of that wheel.

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if I'd cite the Raid as an area to expect growth upon release since it only applies to such a small fraction of players. I know I wont get to it for awhile, level wise. Then there's the matchmaking to deal with.

Still love the game though.

Oct 27, 2017
The boring ass setting probably didn't help. Massive step back after the first one.
I stand by what I said previously, they should've stayed in NYC. Kept it in summer, expanded into the whole of upper Manhattan, added half of Brooklyn and the Bronx, expanded the subway system, and they could've rolled all content forward seeing as many didn't play the content released after launch.

Zelent

Banned
Mar 12, 2019
I had a feeling this would happen eventually.
There are way too many online games now. The market is saturated.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
While being surprised that it didn't sell well, I'm kind of glad because seeing that saturation is a real problem in the GaaS market is a good lesson for publishers to learn. Saves them a lot of money and maybe it gives us a traditional game or two more.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I was done with GaaS after Destiny 1.
The second they announced a sequel to what was supposed to be a "10 year plan" I vowed not to sink any significant time in any of these games again.

I'm surprised the genre is doing as well as it is, to be honest. They need to lower their expectations, if sales aren't meeting them.

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
It s a great game. I've been having fun with it. But it's release definitely lacked excitement and hype.

I think gamers are generally burn out on GaaS shooters at the moment.

Oct 25, 2017
People want a better pay-off for their time investment than repeatedly playing the same pieces of content, earning the same rewards, weapons and armours but with higher numbers on them, until the numbers are eventually high enough that they can progress.
big disagreement there pal, that's exactly what people do want

JCizzle

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Not sure if I'd cite the Raid as an area to expect growth upon release since it only applies to such a small fraction of players. I know I wont get to it for awhile, level wise. Then there's the matchmaking to deal with.

Still love the game though.
Right. It doesn't make sense to make ultra challenging content aimed at 1% of players and simultaneously hope that it will bring people to the game. For every one person it serves, 99 others are twiddling their thumbs wondering why they should bother. I think resources are almost always better aimed at content that will serve a wider number of people.

Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget that The Division 1 is the game with the biggest opener ever at Ubi, if the expectations were beyond that and it failed to meet those expectations....then it's still a very very successful game even by AAA standards.

You could say the success of The Division 1 was an anomaly, it was a brand new IP that just sold unexpectedly but had little to no legs, unlike other games from Ubi. And I doubt even Ubi knows why it sold as much. I guess it was because people bought it for the cool visuals and perhaps didn't realise what kind of game it was and it wasn't really as fleshed out at launch. That's one of the reasons for the less than expected sales on consoles. How many looter shooters exist out there best Destiny, Warframe and Anthem (which is what a real flop looks like) in the first place for it to be a heavy competition enough to make the game a "flop"?

If the publisher keeps supporting the franchise then the player base can grow even with "less than expected" sales at launch.

Also no the lower sales is not because of the setting like some people are implying. While it may seem worse in one glance, the Div 2 is a lot more atmospheric and unique in look than The Div 1. It's also the only looter shooter that launched without any issues and was already content rich. In short the quality of the game is high.
Yeah, didn't TD1 sale like 6M early on or something? Unless official numbers are out there on sales and Ubi tells us what they expected this report is mostly useless. I love this series with all it's warts and the understanding that Massive will never give me the perfect iteration of the game I want nor the one any other player wants and the fact that this game will change a ton over it's lifespan (with the toughness/armor/health systems being at the center of most of those changes).

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
And they don't have a clue what to do when something goes wrong with it, as things invariably do with Windows and PCs. And they don't want to learn how to fix it either, it will be left to gather dust whilst they get on with gaming on their consoles again. Seen it happen.
Yup that's exactly why the PC market is shrinking......oh wait.

Compared to how things were PCs are borderline plug and play these days. It's so easy dare I say even a child can figure it out.