FairFight

Oct 27, 2017
Chandler, AZ
Everything works on my dualsense but the sound of plastic creaking every time I move a thumbstick, pull a trigger, or push a button aside from the touchpad has me concerned. I know I'm going to go through a lot of these.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
I know people point out joycone, but I've had to replace my duelsense for drift twice in a year. I am fully expecting to have to update for drift again at this point.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
I've gone through like 4 DS4's and they all felt vastly different from each other out the box. Feels like a complete gamble, and the house always wins. The piece of shit blue one I bought started stick drifting after *two months*. Makes me feel like a complete sucker tbh.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I'm not terribly surprised by wonky Dualsense triggers. You could easily imagine this becoming an issue the moment you feel the thing in action. I do suspect I might be pressing harder on the things because of the resistance of the adaptive triggers, but it's hard to say if that's imagined or not.

Is there a known reason why drifting sticks are on the rise across manufacturers though? I'm aware Drifting sticks have been a thing for as long as analogue sticks have been a thing, but the amount I've been hearing about it has been steadily on the rise for almost six years straight. Are they all using parts from the same manufacturer that are having production or QA issues? Or do we just need too many of these things nowadays, that manufacturers have to compromise quality to be able to keep up with demand? The industry does keep on growing.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not terribly surprised by wonky Dualsense triggers. You could easily imagine this becoming an issue the moment you feel the thing in action. I do suspect I might be pressing harder on the things because of the resistance of the adaptive triggers, but it's hard to say if that's imagined or not.

Is there a known reason why drifting sticks are on the rise across manufacturers though? I'm aware Drifting sticks have been a thing for as long as analogue sticks have been a thing, but the amount I've been hearing about it has been steadily on the rise for almost six years straight. Are they all using parts from the same manufacturer that are having production or QA issues? Or do we just need too many of these things nowadays, that manufacturers have to compromise quality to be able to keep up with demand? The industry does keep on growing.

I've only ever had one Xbox stick with drift that I know of. The only reason I know it drifted is because I linked it to an iPad so me and my son could play Minecraft together.

On the Xbox there was no drift at all and every game was completely fine. On iPad drifted constantly. There must be some software trickery going on as well somewhere.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
No. Nothing comes close to the QC of Xbox One controllers. I think I've had an issue on no joke about 50% of the controllers I've purchased from Microsoft, even on the Elite V1 and V2.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
No. Nothing comes close to the QC of Xbox One controllers. I think I've had an issue on no joke about 50% of the controllers I've purchased from Microsoft, even on the Elite V1 and V2.

It's all relative.

I've had 4 Xboxes One (OG, S, 2x X) and neither had any faulty controllers.

I have second-hand Switch, and after a year or so the right stick started drifting.

PS5 tho? 1 month in, and my anaogue is already role playing Initial D.

What's puzzling, is that you'd expect controller quality (especially analogues) to improve, yet it somehow gets worse and worse...

vrietje

Dec 4, 2018
I have a launch switch and I have 3 or 4 sets of joycon and as far as I know I think that one stick is drifting after 3 years.
I have a anniversary grey dual shock 4 and that stick had broken after a year. The older one that came with the ps4 still works

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017

I think they all get the parts from one company and said company is either getting worse or changed something that means they are more prone to failing or perhaps it's other things with the controllers that are doing it.

I would say generally the controllers this gen are a lot more creaky, they just feel cheaper.

Maybe misremembering but I think Valve said something about analogue sticks and is sourcing elsewhere.

Newman96

Oct 27, 2017
I've had to send 3 Dualsense's for replacement since launch, they're rubbish so far really unimpressed. Not looking forward to them now being out of warranty

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
My brother had stick drift and trigger issues. Mine is holding up fine but I don't use it much to be quite honest, it's not my main console of use.

And as per the thread last week I really don't think it is a great controller. It's one of the least comfortable controllers I've ever used. I'd swap all of the fancy tech for something that feels comfortable to hold.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I admit there is a weird left stick, left drift on the dualsense. This is across two brand new dualsenses. But it is pretty easy to recreate and stop from happening. But *knocks on wood* I hope I don't run into another ds4 situation. Those controllers were abysmal in quality. Worst controllers ever.

My single (blue) xbawks one controller feels like it is made out of titanium. That thing has no issues whatsoever. But I only have one of those...

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
For me it's been xbox controllers with either buttons that randomly work or stick drift. It's the worst and I hate it.

Jun 1, 2021
My first dualsense broke very quickly. Trigger lost its resistance and pretty sure it's no longer holding a charge. Second controller is fine so far.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
i have 2 of them going strong since console launch,
almost daily use, and they are both pretty much in continuous rotation because of poor battery life.

1 series x controller going strong since last jan,

even my joycons are going strong after 2 years.
knocking wood.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
Recently I bought a black and red Dualsense. They're both fine and get the job done, but I did notice that the black one is better built. It feels tighter and more robust as far as its buttons go (all of them).

Ogawa-san

Nov 1, 2017
The only drifting controller I ever had was a 3y+ old DS4 which I used extensively. With all the failing dualsenses around, I expected mine to start drifting right as the warranty ended. And yup, one year and two weeks after launch, the left stick started being oversensitive going left, and honestly I didn't use it that much in this first year...

I'd just go ahead and buy another, but I can't trust a brand new $70 controller to last. It sucks.

I also play anything heavy on adaptive triggers fully expecting them to give out at some point. It survived DIrt 5 somehow, but the next game might do it.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
I never understood these problems.

What are some of you doing with your controllers? I'm playing since the original Game Boy and in all these years and every console i played so many games and not once did a controller break (i had bad rubber on the launch PS4 controller).

Some controllers will break of course, it's a mass produced product.

Marvo Pandoras

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
No drift in my controllers but 2 out of 3 of my dualsenses will no longer connect to wireless/wired to my PS5. They only connect wired to my PC. My Red dualsense is the only one working correctly.

Sidenote: I had terrible controller luck. My elite controller series 1 x and d pad right button doesn't register. My joycons drift.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer - Powered by Friendship™
Oct 27, 2017
The shittest part of the DS4 is the charge port. Not had a problem with any other parts of my controller except that cheap micro usb garbage.

Hopefully the dualsense has at least improved on that.

Last edited:

smcc94x

Jul 13, 2021
I've had 3 x trigger springs break.

Have used Youtube to learn how to replace them myself.

And I am very gentle with my controllers. Never had any controller issues with PS1/2/3/4.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
How do you go about replacing them? Sony support? I kind of want to start a return process for my controller but the issues I'm haven't aren't very significant and I don't want to be without a controller for weeks (I'm assuming you send your controller in and they send you a new one).
One was still under warranty, and one I just had to eat the cost and buy another. For the warranty one I called sony and did that whole deal. Took maybe 3 weeks to get it back? Which is why I bought the second one... Which later also drifted. My first one drifted like, three weeks after I got my ps5?

Clay

Oct 29, 2017

What are some of you doing with your controllers? I'm playing since the original Game Boy and in all these years and every console i played so many games and not once did a controller break (i had bad rubber on the launch PS4 controller).

Why were you so rough on your PS4 controller? You really should have been more careful.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
The quality control is undeniably terrible.

I had drift on my launch controller. Replaced that and also picked up a red controller when it launched. After about eight months for each, the rubber on the left analog stick became loose and could be spun on the stick itself.

Bad post is bad.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Definitely the worst build quality controller I've ever owned.

Out of 2 controllers:
-2 broken R2 springs
-1 drifting so bad it made the controller unusable. Joy-Con drifting has got nothing on this.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Love DualSense but it is the first and only controller I've had drift with (launch one), even my launch Switch controllers and other 8 have no drift. But new DualSense is holding up nicely.

Sasaud

Oct 28, 2017
Nothing compares to the joycons, but yeah we are getting newer technology with worst quality control.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Still have no issue on either of my two dualsense controllers. Lucky enough to not have joy con drift but I barely play with them (and like others said, they are terrible controller no matter what).

Worst controller are still Dual Shock 4 for me. I had 5 and 4 faulty with different things.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
I've had 3 x trigger springs break.

Have used Youtube to learn how to replace them myself.

And I am very gentle with my controllers. Never had any controller issues with PS1/2/3/4.

I recently had the L1 trigger go out on a DualSense.
It wouldn't have been as bad but this was a $250 HexGaming controller that I was doing a review on.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Everything works on my dualsense but the sound of plastic creaking every time I move a thumbstick, pull a trigger, or push a button aside from the touchpad has me concerned. I know I'm going to go through a lot of these.

That's the issue with mine. It's works fine but the left stick creaks.

Do DualSenses have unique serial numbers? Is it possible to buy a new one and return a broken one in the box?

Normally I wouldn't do something like that but I was told recently that if you say a controller is defective when you return it it gets sent back to Sony, so you're not screwing anyone over, you're essentially shortcutting the warranty process.

I recently had the L1 trigger go out on a DualSense.
It wouldn't have been as bad but this was a $250 HexGaming controller that I was doing a review on.

I don't know if there's any way of knowing but that could have been due to the modifications HexGaming made, no?

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Same, one with analog drift so bad I had to stop playing Ratchet and Clank and wait for a new controller to come in. One where the haptics kicked in and my trigger popped and went loose and stopped working.

Oct 30, 2017
I've owned five and only have two working. They are absolute junk. The worst controller I've ever owned.

The first one that came with the launch PS5 started drifting immediately and eventually got so bad within less than a month it was pointless to even try to use it.
The second one I bought was exactly the same. Less than a month and unusable.
The third one works perfectly. No issues.
The fourth one drifts but only occasionally. I tried replacing it with a fifth but that one would never pair to the PS5.

So five controllers and only one has worked with no issues.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
I've had awful luck across the board in recent years. Joycons being Joycons, Xbox controllers (both Elite and standard) having quality control issues and frequently requiring exchanges to get one without a wonky button, PS4/PS5 controllers having awful batteries and the sticks not lasting as long as I'd hope. Feels like I haven't had reliable, issue-less controllers since 360/PS3.

mhayze

Nov 18, 2017
I'm wondering how long the warranty is on a new dual sense in the US - 1 year I would guess? Is Sony good at replacing them or do they claim it's a usage based problem?

Jacknapes

Oct 26, 2017
Newport, South Wales
Had to replace my Dualsense within 2 months of picking it up because the trigger snapped, but since then i've had no problems.

The joycons however, it's a different story. I'm on my 4th pair in 3-4 years of owning the console. Luckily, i bought cover which meant i can just pop into the store and change them over if they develop drift. These are the worst controllers i've had and it's unacceptable really.

Dualshock, bar the rubber on the stick wearing away, no issue. Didn't have an issue with the 360 controllers either, nor any other controller that came with the console or bought afterwards.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I've lucked out so hard in my 30+ years of gaming. I've never had to replace a controller, not even once. The biggest problem I've had with a controller has been that shitty white flaking/"dust" that happened around the N64 controller's joystick. lol.

The DualSense is my GOAT. Feels sublime. Best dpad around to boot. I am somewhat terrified of snapping/breaking the rear triggers, pulling on them as hard as I do for some games where the adaptive resistance kicks in.

Son_of_Oden

Feb 27, 2020
I really can't fathom how some of you are treating their controllers.

That's my personal statistics, all of them bought on launch:
2x PSX controller - still working
1x PSX Analog Controller - still working
2x PS2 Dualshocks - still working
1x Sixaxis - still working
2x PS3 Dualshocks - still working
2x PS4 Dualshocks - rubber on thumb sticks got loose --> changed them, still working
2x PS5 Dualsense - still working

No drift, no sticky buttons, no broken springs etc. I play quite regularly in bursts (weeks of 2-8h daily, weeks with no gaming at all) and fortunatelly never had an problems.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
My launch Dual Sense trigger snapped playing Hot Wheels. Dualsense defnitely seems to have some QC issues that need to be sorted out, and starting a "well joy cons exist" rebuttal seems to dilute genuine criticisms of Sony that they need to hear.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is there any third party alternative with the same or similar features?