• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Did you have trouble with the adaptive triggers in some third party games?

• Yes

Votes: 67 29.3%
  • No

Votes: 52 22.7%
  • Shut up and stop playing Fifa and Fortnite

Votes: 110 48.0%

• Total voters

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
I'm loving the DualSense. That thing is everything I never dreamed a controller could be and a serious improvement over the already lovely HD Rumble on Switch.

But my hands can't take it anymore. Or, at least, in some games, I have big problems with the triggers.

While the implementations of the new features in games like Astro Bot and Spider-Man are super cool, there are third party softwares where the main focus is showing off the "spectacularity" (does it make sense?) of the new features without any consideration about how they could affect gameplay and especially comfort.

There are two examples that you can easily test:

1. Fortnite: the new version of Fortnite is pretty cool. Graphics are great and the game is super smooth and fast to load. That said, the biggest change from the PS4 Pro version of the game is surely the adaptive triggers. So when you shoot a gun you feel a different kind of pressure than a rocket launcher or a rifle and so on. The thing is nice and immersive, but it represents a disadvantage in competitive play and, most of all, after a long session my hands suffer. You would think that you could deactivate the function through the in-game settings, but no. There are no QOL features in this sense and you need to turn off the adaptive triggers from the system menu.

2. Fifa: the next gen version has been availably in the last few hours and the main shift from the past, other than faster loading times and a graphic update, is in the controller. The haptic feedback seems fine, but the adaptive triggers functionalities…well, I don't think they make a lot of sense. The triggers become harder to press the more the player you're controlling get tired, and I think this function basically becomes a barrier for having some fun during a match. But, hey, some people may like it. The problem is, again, there's no way to selectively turn off the triggers in-game and you need to adjust them everytime you want to play Fifa in the console menu.

This is absolutely not a Sony problem,
it seems that it has more to do with third party games. There must be some middle ground between "just turn them off completely" and "HEY COOL THE BUTTONS BECOME SO HARD TO PRESS".

So, my questions are:
-Did you have some problems with the triggers as well in these or other games? Am I too weak or sensitive?
-Could the trend of implementing DualSense features at all cost even in games where they're not much needed become a problem? Is it a small version of "the waggle gimmick" all over again?
-Why the hell are there no QOL settings of this kind inside massive games like Fortnite or Fifa?
-Is it possible to be taken seriously in the year 2020 with a "Nintenleo" nickname?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it's implementation in FIFA and Fortnite is pretty dire, sadly.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I can understand wanting to turn it off, but I thought the implementation in Fortnite was pretty good.

Also many games (I noticed this in Spider-Man) count a button activation pretty early in the range of tension, so you don't usually need to smash the button all the way down.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had to turn off adaptive triggers in cod mp, they get in the way. It's fun for sp games at least.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
worms rumble should disable adaptive trigger. doesn't feel like its needed. i don't think there's an option to disable it either unless i overlooked it.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't tried the implementations you mentioned (Fortnite and Fifa) but, at least on paper, they seem to be what I was expecting. I think the idea is there and it should add to the immersion. But immersion is not allways what we're looking for in gaming. For multiplayer is pretty obvious that adaptive triggers are a disadvantage and I think I'll turn them off whenever I can. For singleplayer they work well.

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Yeah, those kinds of implementations only make sense in a multiplayer game if it's forced on everyone (which won't happen because you can turn it off in the OS). You're just handicapping yourself otherwise.

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
Had the same problem with Rainbow 6. Its a cool effect but it impacts performance and it does lead to your fingers getting tired faster.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Not expecting much from it in 3rd party games in general. The big 1st party games will be a show case for it though.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
No one is going to like that FIFA implementation. Your players already play like they've lost their mind as their stamina decreases. Having the controller fight against you as well makes absolutely no sense.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Even with Astro Play Room and I think it has a lot of flaws. It works wonders in scripted one offs, but it crumbles when the player controls the action that triggers it and so could be getting it constantly for long periods of time.

Personally the PS5 controller constantly makes my hands go numb and it's not just the Size or Handle shape, so I often turn down/off the rumble and adaptive trigger features for extended or competitive play

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Not a fan of the bow feel in Demon's. Actually made me shoot slower.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seems to me that Team ASOBI are the only ones who figured out how to use adaptive triggers correctly. The key is to use this feature sparingly.
I'm playing Spiderman and it feels like something is stuck under the triggers at all times when swinging, it got annoying really fast so I had to turn it off. I'm at least glad that we can disable this on OS level, but per-game setting would be nice to have as well.

Heliex

Nov 2, 2017
The triggers are what got me into Fortnite to begin with, to each their own I guess 🤷‍♂️

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's interesting to see the various implementations. For instance, in Borderlands, you have one type of trigger pull for all weapons (that I've tried): hard resistance to a click halfway down. It's actually hard enough to press down that I don't like it much, and having the same trigger mechanism for all weapons feels a little lazy (for lack of a better term). However, in Warframe, it has the click of a pistol, bounceback of an auto rifle, etc. AND none of the weapons have as heavy resistance as Borderlands. As such, it feels great to play. I love it. R6 Siege has quite impressive support (and better than Warframe, because it utilizes the haptic feedback well), but it makes you realize that it makes the game harder.

Devs will continue figuring this stuff out.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I have a sense that Astro's Play Room will be the of peak dual sense implementation, unless a game is designed with all the various features in mind I don't think we will reach those heights and only Sony first party will be willing to do that.

Other than that the best implementations of it will be more subtle and maybe not so heavy handed.

It'll be a learning process for the developers.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I would never disable this feature, but I've had accessibility concerns about the dual sense since launch. It will improve over time. I hope studios make trigger resistance opt-in sooner rather than later. It's exactly the kind of feature I want in new hardware, but it's also a barrier for people who can't cope with it for wherever reason. Can't be an always-on thing or it will lock certain people out of games they'd otherwise enjoy.

Jul 3, 2019
For all the buzz about the controller most of its features aren't going to amount to much. Just feels like some marketing jargon that got latched onto by enthusiasts as a thing to champion as being a "killer" feature or "game-changer".
It's not.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I turned the trigger strength down to medium at the system level. I'm surprised the hard setting is the default. They are surprisingly strong.

Also, not just third party. The way they work in Spider-Man is kinda bogus. I turn them off there.

Putting astrobot aside, which I agree is an over-the-top demonstration, I've only played a couple games that really get it right. But when they get it right, it's so good.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Downloaded Fortnite just to try it out, deleted fortnite shortly after. Not overall impressed by how they did it. I like the way Astro does it, which will probably be the best demo of it going forward, it feels like your trigger is stuck broken on Fortnite though. Wish I Could test COD but I'm not paying for that.

HypnoToad344

Jul 11, 2020
I agree. Hopefully the overwhelmingly positive word of mouth coming from Astro's Playroom will cause some devs to try and leverage more for some easy good will.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Lmfao the third option

I was going to make a thread like this, so far it's been very underwhelming and actually a nuisance more than it is immersive. If Astrobot is the best showcase for the AT, i'm not sure that it's going to get much better.

It needs to be more subtle, but I don't really understand how you go about doing that; i'm very curious to see whether Deathloop is going to be annoying as hell to play with triggers considering it actually seems to be more designed with it in mind.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
They should just put an ON/OFF switch in the accessibility options of the quick menu, that right now is completely useless:

Emdl0-PWMAEe-NGt.jpg

What about having the ON/OFF Button Assignment in the quick menu just like PS4?
That's gone too... it was SUPER useful for me.
As I said it would be great to have an option for triggers and rumble... please Sony, let us fully customize the options in the accessibility section in the quick menu... PLEASE!!!!

May 12, 2020
2. Fifa: The triggers become harder to press the more the player you're controlling get tired, and I think this function basically becomes a barrier for having some fun during a match. But, hey, some people may like it. The problem is, again, there's no way to selectively turn off the triggers in-game and you need to adjust them everytime you want to play Fifa in the console menu.

NBA 2k21 has a similar implementation and I actually love it. I do agree it should be disabled for MP games like COD though.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
worms rumble should disable adaptive trigger. doesn't feel like its needed. i don't think there's an option to disable it either unless i overlooked it.

I'm getting pretty tired of this 'trigger has the resistance of a gun trigger' already and Worms is a decent example. You're just pulling the trigger far too much (like constantly) for it to make any sense. I think I'm gonna switch it off in Borderlands 3 too. It's not immersive in those cases, it makes me remember that I'm holding a plastic controller every time I squeeze the trigger. That's not immersion.

Astro stays winning, for obvious reasons.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Worst part is, if you turn 'em off in a game like CoD, the triggers feel fucking awful. They are soft and just feel plain terrible to pull without any adaptive functionality.

OP
OP
Nintenleo

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
They should just put an ON/OFF switch in the accessibility options of the quick menu, that right now is completely useless:

What about having the ON/OFF Button Assignment in the quick menu just like PS4?
That's gone too... it was SUPER useful for me.
As I said it would be great to have an option for triggers and rumble... please Sony, let us fully customize the options in the accessibility section in the quick menu... PLEASE!!!!
This would be a great idea. Agree about the off power as well.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I get the impression third party Devs are going for a very bare bones approach. I'd be surprised if they really even attempt to nail the feel of an action or take any time to make it feel particularly great. I mean, it being there AT ALL surprises me. But I do wish they'd put more effort in with it. Some games are great. Cod for instance and dirt 5. But Fortnite in particular isn't done very well at all. It's easy enough to deactivate system side while you play that game. But it would be better if it was in the game itself...or...you know...they work to make it better? Lol

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Turned it off in Warframe, having the trigger kick constantly like that was a bit too much.

thonerayman

Oct 27, 2017
I had to turn off adaptive triggers in cod mp, they get in the way. It's fun for sp games at least.

After about 40 hours of cod I disagree with this. Using the triggers I can pre-squeeze becuase I know the exact spot where I need to stop every time. So when I see someone I might need to squeeze a bit harder but I only have to go down a few mm to finish the trigger pull.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Same as the rumble triggers when X1 launched, Forza Motorsport and Horizon were perfect, other games not so much.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Not had an issue at all.

Quite like the implementations I've come across particularly worms rumble.. Shotguns feel great

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
You can adjust it to High/medium/low in the settings menu...

Early days though, there's some really good examples of it, highlight being Astro, and some poor ones. I think SP games will mostly benefit from it, and really that's pretty much where the bulk of Sony's WWS teams is coming from.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is the resistance actually strong enough that some of your hands/fingers are getting tired??

It can be pretty strong. But you can set that to be weaker in the system menu across all games..which I think is a good compromise for now.

But for me the feature is way too fucking good to just turn off. I don't care what game it is, even the poorly implemented ones, it's just. That. awesome...

but yeah...shooters in particular. Especially ones where it hasn't been thought about very well (Fortnite) it can wear your finger out a bit. It's mostly that your index finger doesn't exactly get that sort of exercise much...well...unless you're in a war or something I guess, but I imagine in time it won't feel so weird. It feels incredibly strange to go back to a standard trigger now though.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I've not had an issue with them across various games. I quite like it if anything. I'm honestly quite surprised people are getting worn out by them. I guess its dependant on ones own strength in their fingers. Since I play guitar perhaps that's why, but they never feel like a struggle to use

OP
OP
Nintenleo

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
I've not had an issue with them across various games. I quite like it if anything. I'm honestly quite surprised people are getting worn out by them. I guess its dependant on ones own strength in their fingers. Since I play guitar perhaps that's why, but they never feel like a struggle to use

I play guitar (a lot) as well but I still get worn out :P

On the FIFA triggers: anyone know if it's still possible to map sprint to R1?

Yep

tiebreaker

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Agree. They should have in game option to turn off some of the functionalities.