• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
wMxQ0cQ.png

Each event is preceded by prophecy.

But without the hero, there is no event.

Platforms: PC, Original Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Xbox Series S|X
Release Date:
PC - May 1st, 2002​
Original Xbox Release - June 6th, 2002​
360 BC Release - April 19th, 2007​
XB1 BC Release - April 17th, 2018 (9am PST)​
Price: $15 USD
Player(s): 1
Format: Digital/Physical (Xbox.com purchases and Original Xbox discs)
Developer: Bethesda Game Studios
Publisher: Bethesda Softworks
ESRB: T
Size: 991.09 MB (NA 360)
4.02 GB (PAL XB1X - extra languages)
1.5 GB (NA XB1X)

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind is an epic, open-ended single-player game where you create and play any kind of character you can imagine. Your actions define your character, and your gameplay changes and evolves in response to your actions. Confront the assassins' guild, and they take out a contract on you; impress them, and they try to recruit you instead. No two sagas are the same in the world of Morrowind. The end result is the most open-ended RPG possible—one with an infinite number of possible paths through the game. Includes Morrowind plus all of the content from the Bloodmoon and Tribunal expansions.

6gRVX1g.png

Why in the world would you play the vanilla console version of the game?
I suppose the nostalgia, convenience and, more importantly, having native controller support are the main selling points for folk to come back to this version.

How will the game perform on console?
While the original release (the OG Xbox had half the recommended RAM of the PC version) had a very inconsistent framerate and long loading times that both grew worse as your save file grew. Playing the game on Xbox One and Xbox Series consoles resolves these issues dramatically.

Are there additional visual enhancements beyond resolution on XB1 and XB1X such as LOD improvements?
The direct comparisons posted by Microsoft showed no improvements to draw distance. There will be enforced vsync for all XB1 consoles and increased texture filtering on the X.

Which version of the physical release will work on my XB1?
Both the original disc of Morrowind and the GOTY re-release will give you the Game of the Year edition on Xbox One consoles and the Series X.

Are the expansions included in the digital release?
Yes. Both Bloodmoon and Tribunal are included which should also confirm the included updates that came along with the GOTY edition on Xbox and PC.

Any tips for starting out?
Courtesy of Snormy
Snormy said:
Difficulty slider affects damage dealt and taken. There are no achievements so if combat is irritating in the beginning I strongly recommend tweaking this a bit.

You level up by increasing your Major and Minor skills. When you level up you can increase your attributes, if you increase some skills that are governed by these attributes enough times during this level up you can gain multipliers such as 3x strength in a single level up.

One important thing to remember is that the game hates Argonians. They are classified as Beast races and thus cannot wear boots nor closed helmets. Boots is of a particular irritation because there is one pair that is great for traversal as it boosts your speed by a large amount. Can't mod fix this irritation on console unfortunately. :(

I would recommend picking a weapon skill and armor skill as your majors so you start out higher. Using them will level you up and it feels naturally. Avoid athletics and acrobatics because you will likely use these two fairly regularly and they make good skills to add multipliers between leveling early on.

Try to have your class start with high weapon skill of your choice and some decent agility. This will really help with the "I'm swinging at air" thing with missing attack rolls.

I've read a few guides in the past but they are all different and offer interesting advice but also seem to push certain parts of the game. For me it was more fun to experiment and see stuff as I wanted.
UESP is pretty good but I think it is better as a resource when you are wondering about something specific rather than using it as a guide per se.

How does the game run on the various Xbox Platforms?
Original Xbox/360: 480p at a highly variable framerate (~10fps to ~40fps)
Xbox One: 960p at ~60fps
Xbox Series S:1440p at ~60fps
Xbox One X/Xbox Series X 1920p at ~60fps

Are there mods on Xbox?
No. This is the same, unmodified, version of the game as released in 2002 which also lacked official mod support.

Does the game support Quick Resume on the Xbox Series S|X?
Yes.

Mods on the Windows 10 version?
The store listing has an "enable mods" toggle (already enabled in the image below), once enabled you can edit the game's folders in the "ModifiableWindowsApps" folder.
y8MGXvu.png

vY87tem.png

Where to find mods?
Here is the nexus page for Morrowind:
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/

How is the game different from Oblivion and/or Skyrim?
Via 'Dad'
In addition to that page, this one might be some use to Oblivion and Skyrim players

Does this digital release work on 360?

Yes. The digital and physical release of Morrowind will run on all the consoles listed in the OP aside from the digital copy working on an OG Xbox.

Game Pass?
Yes, Morrowind launches into Game Pass on Xbox + PC on March 12th, 2021.

Does it have achievements?
No, like all Original Xbox BC titles there are no achievements in the game. The Windows 10 version also lacks achievements.

jiiYasT.png

0000009069.600x338.jpg
0000009071.600x338.jpg

0000009072.600x338.jpg
0000009077.600x338.jpg

1m6zq8C.png

Metacritic: 87

IGN: 9.4/10
Finally, I'll admit Morrowind isn't for everyone. It's a huge, sprawling, megapolis of a game that can take a couple hours just to get into and a hundred hours to complete. In an industry where most games present clear, linear paths guiding you from one pre-defined problem (a jumping puzzle, a monster, or some other dexterity test) to the next, some gamers will find Morrowind's open-endedness unfamiliar, bewildering, even perplexing. They'll sit there, waiting for someone to come along and tell them what to do.

But others will find it liberating. Freedom is intoxicating. If the purpose of games is to provide absolute escapism, to immerse us deeply in another world that never was, and then to give us the ability to go through it and do what we want to do, then Morrowind accomplishes that brilliantly.

Gamespot: 8/10
To be sure, Morrowind offers some of the best value for the money of any single-player game currently available, on the Xbox or on any platform. The game does have some drawbacks, but they're all generally minor enough that you should be able to look past them. You'll otherwise find that Morrowind fulfills its many ambitious intentions. It's a beautiful-looking, sprawling, and completely open-ended game that allows you to play pretty much however you like as long as you're willing to fill in a few blanks using your imagination. If that's the case, then you could easily spend a couple of hundred hours over the course of days, weeks, or months losing yourself, deliberately or not, in Morrowind's carefully detailed world. And if you're one to get hard-core into your favorite games, then that's about the highest recommendation you could hope for.

RPG Fan 8/10
Ultimately, if you have a choice, the PC version of Morrowind is the way to go. You'll not only have access to the patches, but the mod kit adds so much more to the game after you've defeated the main quest. Now, that's not to say that the Xbox version is bad-because it's not. If you don't have a high-end PC, this version is a more than viable alternative and will allow you to experience one of the most ambitious RPGs in recent memory.

3RfV1e2.png

Last edited:

Dad

Oct 25, 2017
I've made at least three dozen Morrowind characters and have still never beaten the main quest

Sev

Oct 27, 2017
By far Bethesda's best work. Vvardenfell remains my favourite fantasy setting in a video game.

Prevolition

Oct 27, 2017
This is a dream for me... I didn't think I'd be playing Morrowind again so soon and in 4k! Now I just need to get my hands on the Duke. When does that come out?

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
The greatest game lives again.

Have they confirmed that the BC version will be 4:3, 'cause I swear I remember the game supporting widescreen.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
I put so many hours in this gaem on the OG Xbox, really tempted to buy a One just for this.

WonkyPanda

Oct 26, 2017
People expecting a game similar to Skyrim might be in for a rough time.

Game is increbile, though.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Gonna start my first playthrough after Jade Empire. I downloaded it years ago and quit right after the opening.

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
"some gamers will find Morrowind's open-endedness unfamiliar, bewildering, even perplexing. They'll sit there, waiting for someone to come along and tell them what to do"

Yep. That was me. I 'didn't get it' back then. I stole some junk from some random house and got arrested and though the game was stupid and never went back.

Really looking forward to giving it another go now that I'm much older and relatively wiser.

Feb 22, 2018
Crossing my fingers that the GOTY version I bought recently works for BC. I don't understand why they're only listing the standard edition on the Xbox Store. Makes their asking price of $15 kinda shitty, when I bought this disc copy of the GOTY for that price.

Deleted member 34711

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 28, 2017
Never got around to Morrowind. I know mods are king but there's a novelty about playing on console that makes me want to have my first playthrough here.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
Ahhhh, good 'ol Morrowind. If there was ever one game I could experience again for the first time, it would be this one. Im glad to see it finally makes its way onto XB1. GOAT.

I think the next time I revisit Morrowind will be the Skywind project.

Feb 22, 2018
The "standard" includes the expansions.
I think you're mistaken. It wasn't like that when it originally came out.

There was this version that first came out:
19326-the-elder-scrolls-iii-morrowind-xbox-front-cover.jpg

Then later released was the GOTY version, which listed the expansions as the new bonus content not present in the original release:
194939-the-elder-scrolls-iii-morrowind-game-of-the-year-edition-xbox-front-cover.png

I'm assuming the version available digitally on the Xbox Store is the top one, because they use that box art, and do not mention Bloodmoon or Tribunal.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
The expansions are incredible. Despite having beaten this game a million times and having my Xbox disc copy, I'll get this digitally.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

I'm assuming the version available digitally on the Xbox Store is the top one, because they use that box art, and do not mention Bloodmoon or Tribunal.

The store description explicitly mentions the expansions but has the original box art. Hence the confusion.

Includes Morrowind plus all of the content from the Bloodmoon and Tribunal expansions.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Morrowind/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d802425307f9

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah

19326-the-elder-scrolls-iii-morrowind-xbox-front-cover.jpg

Then later released was the GOTY version, which listed the expansions as the new bonus content not present in the original release:
194939-the-elder-scrolls-iii-morrowind-game-of-the-year-edition-xbox-front-cover.png

See, that would make sense but in the description on the official store page:
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind is an epic, open-ended single-player game where you create and play any kind of character you can imagine. Your actions define your character, and your gameplay changes and evolves in response to your actions. Confront the assassins' guild, and they take out a contract on you; impress them, and they try to recruit you instead. No two sagas are the same in the world of Morrowind. The end result is the most open-ended RPG possible—one with an infinite number of possible paths through the game. Includes Morrowind plus all of the content from the Bloodmoon and Tribunal expansions.

So its using the cover art of the standard edition but the info states that the digital version will include both expansions.

Jan 16, 2018
The Xbox version of the game was how I first played it. It was the first open-world game I had ever played and it blew me away. I couldn't believe all the little knick-knacks and clutter you could pick up and put down, I thought it added so much character to the game. I would pick a nice-looking house that had no occupants and I'd fill it up and decorate it with stuff I'd collect throughout my travels.

If you're thinking of picking this up and playing again and haven't really read any of the books in-game, I highly recommend going into a Tribunal Temple and reading some of the literature in there. You'll get a lot of insight into Dark Elf traditions and their religion. (The 36 Lessons of Vivec are pretty out there, though)

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
Are the expansions something I could play right at the start or would I need to be a certain level?

Not a certain level, you have to finish certain questlines, IIRC.

Nothing is level-locked in Morrowind. The problem is more that you should probably wait to do a lot of the later quests (later meaning the quests you get after you talk to the guy the game tells you you're supposed to, quests which he has) until you level up.

Morrowind is hard. Insanely hard. At least in the beginning. The game has no qualms about making you feel like complete shit until you throw your head against a wall enough times to even have a semblance of a chance. Once you get Long Blade (or whatever weapon skill you want) up past, say, 75, then things become a bit easier.

Deleted member 8408

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This game is incredible but oh boy... those people who will play this for the first time after becoming accustomed to shite like Skyrim... I'd love to be a fly on the wall.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Does anyone know if the GOTY edition is available to purchase digitally? I am not home and cant check.

Deleted member 5727

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic to see Morrowind coming to X1X in near-4K resolution. That is amazing. I loved this game when it came out, and I still think it's my single best gaming experience, ever. I don't think I could duplicate the experience, because it was a "first time" for so much -- I was an RPG virgin. Imagine Morrowind being your first RPG ever ... it was a revelation of what games could be; I was hooked. It probably damaged my relationship at the time -- which isn't a good thing, but I say it to show you how deep I was into it.

I don't own an Xbox One yet, but man, this pushes me a lot closer.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
I've wanted to play Morrowind but I'm afraid it won't live up to the endless hype people give it, but because I started ES games in Oblivion I think I may need to jump on this..

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This is the game where the Elder's Scrolls formula finally jelled, and also climaxed. To anyone giving this a first try, have patience. Few video game experiences really rival just exploring the total fascination of Vvanderfell.

Edit: Also, don't be afraid to cheese the game. It's basically the entire point.

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have zero reason to pick this up since I have a zip file with Morrowind and all my mods sitting on my PC ready to play at any time, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted. I put hundreds of hours into the Xbox version (both the original and then GOTY) and even modded my Xbox so I could install mods for it. It's such a wonderful game, it's great to see it supported through their BC.

Feb 22, 2018
I have zero reason to pick this up since I have a zip file with Morrowind and all my mods sitting on my PC ready to play at any time, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted. I put hundreds of hours into the Xbox version (both the original and then GOTY) and even modded my Xbox so I could install mods for it. It's such a wonderful game, it's great to see it supported through their BC.
I never played my PC version for all these years because I'm a console gamer through and through. I HATE mouse/keyboard controls with a passion, because it just is painful to play games like that to me. To finally have another means to play this with a controller is very welcome.

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Easily the best game in the series. Would pick this up if I had an XB1

Hexer

Oct 30, 2017
I've wanted to play Morrowind but I'm afraid it won't live up to the endless hype people give it, but because I started ES games in Oblivion I think I may need to jump on this..
Just know that the beginning can be kinda slow. You will swing at things multiple times and probably miss many times, but once you get better at the skill you'll hit more. Same goes for blocking, which happens automatically if I remember correctly. The Magic system is really where it's at. You can create some really awesome (and sometimes game breaking) spells. My favorite thing to do in the game was I had my Acrobatics skill at 100 and then would get spells or scrolls that would amplify the skill, and I could literally jump over towns and go so far that the map has to keep loading multiple times. Game was amazing for its time and I can't wait to play it again. :D

Oct 27, 2017
Mount Airy, MD

It 100% will not live up to the ridiculous hype people are giving it here.

It's a good middle ground between the blandness of Daggerfall's generated world with near-complete freedom and the more restrained and focused Oblivion and Skyrim. But the combat...it kinda fucking sucks. A lot. And the interface is not especially great on console, IIRC. Enjoy it for a peak at this crazy aesthetic and lore, but don't go in expecting the moment-to-moment gameplay to be super awesome, especially if you go melee-focused.

edit: For what it's worth, I've played all mainline ES titles when they were new, and I personally enjoy them more and more as time goes on, so I'm hyped as fuck for whenever ES6 happens. Morrowind is the Persona 3 of the Elder Scrolls series, IMO. Lots of people pick it as their favorite, but I feel like there was still plenty of room to improve and like the later stuff more.