• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have now hit level 5 and am a conjurer in the Mage guild. I forgot how much of a dick the Balmora leader was (get him to join or kill him, get her dues or kill her, take his notes or kill him). My build is working out well so far, though I'm relying on summons a lot. It only takes a couple good hits from a melee weapon to kill me. I really wish I had swapped in athletics or acrobatics for enchanting as a minor skill. I always relied on them pretty heavily to level up early on.

I'm a bit surprised I haven't been attacked by the Dark Brotherhood, I thought they started attacking you when you leveled a few times, but I guess you have to actually start the main quest first? I usually begin the main quest immediately, but this time I actually took the advice of Caius and have been doing other quests and leveling first before triggering it.

How is the loading when using those super jump boots?
The scrolls of icarian flight or were there actually boots with a similar effect? I gave it a shot and each load was around a second.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't tried BC yet. So all I have to do is put my OG Morrowind GOTY disc and it will play? Will it need to install or download or anything?

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't tried BC yet. So all I have to do is put my OG Morrowind GOTY disc and it will play? Will it need to install or download or anything?
It will download the game once you put the disc in (at least I think it was a download, I don't think it installs from the disc, but I could be wrong). I think it was a couple gigs.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
The scrolls of icarian flight or were there actually boots with a similar effect? I gave it a shot and each load was around a second.

Yes, that's what I was thinking of actually. I got it confused with the 'Boots of Blinding Speed'. Thanks for the response though, that's the answer I was looking for.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
I have now hit level 5 and am a conjurer in the Mage guild. I forgot how much of a dick the Balmora leader was (get him to join or kill him, get her dues or kill her, take his notes or kill him). My build is working out well so far, though I'm relying on summons a lot. It only takes a couple good hits from a melee weapon to kill me. I really wish I had swapped in athletics or acrobatics for enchanting as a minor skill. I always relied on them pretty heavily to level up early on.

I'm a bit surprised I haven't been attacked by the Dark Brotherhood, I thought they started attacking you when you leveled a few times, but I guess you have to actually start the main quest first? I usually begin the main quest immediately, but this time I actually took the advice of Caius and have been doing other quests and leveling first before triggering it.

Congrats on the progress! I just hit Level 10 earlier, with a custom class. Bosmer Agent.

Also, I think the Dark Brotherhood won't start attacking you until you reach the step in the Morag Tong questline where you have to deal with their agents in Vvardenfell.

Xenon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's been so long since playing this. Did Morrowind have leveling like Oblivion and Skyrim?

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Man, once I finish Death of the Outsider I'm booting up Morrowind again. It would be a mistake not to play it for the 15th time.

Going to try to create the weirdest build possible. Maybe a non-destruction pure mage with the boots of blinding speed?

Xenon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good Lord, I forgot about fatigue and acrobatic leveling up for just walking around :( really hurts when you're trying to level up other stats

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
I made a post on Page 3 listing all the cheat codes for the game. You could try using the Stamina one. It's what I always use, because I can't stand the Stamina drain on full analogue stick tilt.

Cheat codes for anyone who wants them, translated to the bumpers since there are no black/white buttons:

NOTE: You have to highlight the stat you want to use the code for. After you type in the code, immediately press A. While holding A, back out of the stats menu and the effect will still be active. There are two caveats. First, if you navigate to any other item on your stats page, or any other page in your B menus, you will have to reapply the code. You also cannot apply any of these codes without having already lost any health/magicka/stamina.

Unlimited Stamina Regen: RB, RB, LB, LB, RB

Unlimited Health Regen: RB, LB, RB, RB, RB

Unlimited Magicka Regen: RB, LB, LB, RB, LB

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City
I've been playing this all week! Well... until God of War, who runs the xbox club here? trying to get accepted and its been a couple days.

MirVie

Nov 17, 2017
A restoration spell or an item you've enchanted with "restore fatigue 2 points for 20 seconds" is relatively cheap and helps while running around. If you go into combat with 0 fatigue your spells and attacks will fail a lot.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
So, you input these and you get regen during normal play? Do you have to reapply them each session?

Reapply them each session, reapply them every time you move to a different section of the B menu, etc. They're only really useful when you're doing things continuously. Like, say, moving from location to location.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The fatigue system is definitely this game's weak point (more so than the combat imo). I'm kind of surprised they never adjusted it after launch, losing that much fatigue for running (slowly) is brutal. Are there any constant effect items that have restore fatigue? I never messed much with enchanting, I guess you could make one that way if not.

Thankfully my destruction skill is high enough now that even without stamina I can still cause a lot of damage so I don't worry about it anymore.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
The fatigue system is definitely this game's weak point (more so than the combat imo). I'm kind of surprised they never adjusted it after launch, losing that much fatigue for running (slowly) is brutal. Are there any constant effect items that have restore fatigue? I never messed much with enchanting, I guess you could make one that way if not.

Thankfully my destruction skill is high enough now that even without stamina I can still cause a lot of damage so I don't worry about it anymore.

Yeah, someone mentioned getting a +2 stamina per second piece of armour is pretty cheap and should cover you.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
I played this game for a short while and then got stuck on a quest that seemed broken, or that required something that felt like cheating to get past it. I think it was part of a guild quest? and I think it was necessary actually, but anyway, you have to travel to some far away town and steal a dagger from a chest that, no matter how hard you tried, never seemed to unlock. I ended up spamming the chest with a spell? Or maybe I just got lucky after about 10 tries, then I warped away from all the guards that were coming after me.

Anyway, I was a bit scared that the game would consist of a lot of these kinds of quests where your character build felt like it had to be absolutely perfect or else you wouldn't be able to progress. Was I just a bad player? I really liked the world and thought that the story was interesting; way more in-depth than anything most JRPGs have to offer, and one of the few times in a video game where reviews like "wow, this has a great story!" rang true.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I played this game for a short while and then got stuck on a quest that seemed broken, or that required something that felt like cheating to get past it. I think it was part of a guild quest? and I think it was necessary actually, but anyway, you have to travel to some far away town and steal a dagger from a chest that, no matter how hard you tried, never seemed to unlock. I ended up spamming the chest with a spell? Or maybe I just got lucky after about 10 tries, then I warped away from all the guards that were coming after me.

Anyway, I was a bit scared that the game would consist of a lot of these kinds of quests where your character build felt like it had to be absolutely perfect or else you wouldn't be able to progress. Was I just a bad player? I really liked the world and thought that the story was interesting; way more in-depth than anything most JRPGs have to offer, and one of the few times in a video game where reviews like "wow, this has a great story!" rang true.

I wouldn't say most quests are like that and the ones that do require specific skills usually have workarounds of some sort. In your example, all locked chests tell you what level they are locked at. If you don't have a high enough security skill, you can cast an open lock spell (and the spell will tell you what level or level range it can unlock), and if you can't do that you can just buy an open lock scroll. You can also find items that have the open lock spell effect.

You can make up for almost any kind of skill shortcoming with scrolls and potions, so don't ignore them.

There also aren't any limits on leveling skills, so even if you don't pick security as a major or minor skill, you could still max it out with enough effort (though it will take a lot of work). The skills you pick mainly determine how easy a start you have. There is also the option to turn the difficulty down, there aren't any penalties for doing so and it's worth it to experience the world/story if all else fails.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
You know, I did almost nothing with scrolls and potions in that game. I feel like, in learning everything else, I probably forgot about them entirely.

Good to know there are ways around that kind of thing. I was eventually able to complete the quest, but it was a kind of hilarious game of "run away from the guards until you get a chance to cast your warp spell."

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm starting to regret not picking Conjuration as one of my build's skills. I really like only having to rely on conjuring weapons to use rather than hording all the good ones to myself.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to regret not picking Conjuration as one of my build's skills. I really like only having to rely on conjuring weapons to use rather than hording all the good ones to myself.
It has been a lifesaver for me. I didn't really consider what I would do with enemies that could reflect all my spells, bound mace takes care of them fast. Feels a bit cheap considering how low the mana cost is.

Xenon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am still playing this every night. Slowly getting my straight magic user strong enough to make the trip required for guild quests. I forgot you could rest outdoors, so that's been a big help. Alchemy seems like it's the easiest way to get cash, Restore Fatigue potions. Getting the crap kicked out of me has built up my unarmored skill but I am wondering if I should have gone light armor instead, too late now though.

Things I like:

No quest markers. Using directions just feels great and more engrossing.
Difficulty - It started out challenging, but I how I see my character grow and I'm forced to use more spells than I normally would.
The simple graphics work so will even in 4K.
The persuasion system - it has weight

Things I'm not so fond of

Cliff Racers
The First option of the pause menu being New Game - wtf

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The best Elder Scrolls. Not sure if I even want to hunt down my disk because I know I'll get sucked in for 500+ hours again.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
I am still playing this every night. Slowly getting my straight magic user strong enough to make the trip required for guild quests. I forgot you could rest outdoors, so that's been a big help. Alchemy seems like it's the easiest way to get cash, Restore Fatigue potions. Getting the crap kicked out of me has built up my unarmored skill but I am wondering if I should have gone light armor instead, too late now though.

The easiest way for me was to just randomly stumble on really good shit, then sell that stuff to the Mudcrab. Rinse and repeat. I'm now swimming in upwards of 30k gold.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The easiest way for me was to just randomly stumble on really good shit, then sell that stuff to the Mudcrab. Rinse and repeat. I'm now swimming in upwards of 30k gold.
Where is the Mudcrab? I can never remember. I've been selling to the creeper and got around 80k, but it was pretty annoying having to buy, sell, rest, rebuy, resell, etc to actually get the money the gear was worth. Not that I really need more gold at this point unless I start going into enchanting.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
Where is the Mudcrab? I can never remember. I've been selling to the creeper and got around 80k, but it was pretty annoying having to buy, sell, rest, rebuy, resell, etc to actually get the money the gear was worth. Not that I really need more gold at this point unless I start going into enchanting.

Mudcrab is east of Vivec City, on one of the islands near the coast.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mudcrab is east of Vivec City, on one of the islands near the coast.
Thanks! I'm now up to 200000 gold so I think I'm set for the rest of the game.

I've now been named Hortator by the three great houses and Nerevarine by the Ashlanders. The endgame of vanilla Morrowind begins! Overall I've had a lot of fun with my mage build, but the lack of regenerating magicka has been more of a headache as I fight tougher enemies. I still die extremely fast if I don't buff myself and even with a pretty big pool I run out pretty quickly and have to burn through potions. Maybe I just need to read an enchanting guide and make something with a ce of fortify magicka? I know you could make some really broken things using the right potions and enchanting, but I'm so close to the end that I might just stick it out.

MirVie

Nov 17, 2017
Thanks! I'm now up to 200000 gold so I think I'm set for the rest of the game.

I've now been named Hortator by the three great houses and Nerevarine by the Ashlanders. The endgame of vanilla Morrowind begins! Overall I've had a lot of fun with my mage build, but the lack of regenerating magicka has been more of a headache as I fight tougher enemies. I still die extremely fast if I don't buff myself and even with a pretty big pool I run out pretty quickly and have to burn through potions. Maybe I just need to read an enchanting guide and make something with a ce of fortify magicka? I know you could make some really broken things using the right potions and enchanting, but I'm so close to the end that I might just stick it out.

If you have plenty of money you can visit an enchanter and have them enchant your gear for you. It cost an awful lot though, but you can then sell some daedric or ebony weapons off to them to recoup the costs.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If you have plenty of money you can visit an enchanter and have them enchant your gear for you. It cost an awful lot though, but you can then sell some daedric or ebony weapons off to them to recoup the costs.
The highest I could make with what I had was one with a constant effect of fortify magicka 20 for 100000 gold (I assume enchants get more efficient if you have a higher enchanting skill?). Didn't seem worth it since that is just one more spell so I skipped it. I forgot how overpowered Wraithguard + Sunder/Keening made you so I easily finished the main story without it.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Does using a non-game of the year Morrowind disc give you the game of the year version on the XB1?

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I still have a lot of other games to play through so after finishing the main quest I took a break, but I still plan to come back and finish Tribunal and Bloodmoon eventually.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I had to resort to buying a used copy off Amazon because MS just can't figure out why I can't purchase originals on my account. Should get it soon.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Finally got my copy.

What resolution does this run at on a normal xbox one? It looks like 720p if not lower...

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man one thing I forgot about is what a nightmare it is to be a mage in this game. No hotkeys/hotlist for spells, you need to either go to the spell menu to select or cycle through them in order.

Shadowrun

Oct 26, 2017
Oh man one thing I forgot about is what a nightmare it is to be a mage in this game. No hotkeys/hotlist for spells, you need to either go to the spell menu to select or cycle through them in order.

That's why I went melee with a light focus on magic. Haha.

I've owned this game forever, and have gotten the farthest I've ever been in it thanks to the BC upgrades. For those curious, I just finished Tell Fyr, and now, I'm sneaking into the Ministry of Truth.

One thing I love about the old games is the loot placed in the world does not scale to your level. There's an earlyish main quest where you go through a burial tomb, and there is just a ton of rare high level gear there.

Deleted member 5727

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but only a few hours from back when it was not more than a couple of years old.

Yeah, I think people who are basically new to Morrowind will find it a hard game to adjust to. The combat is very weak, the journal is a mess, animations are stiff, etc.

Otoh, people who've played Morrowind before know what they're getting into, so they should have a better time of it.