Votes: 82 14.8%
  • Didn't care for it myself

Votes: 45 8.1%
  • I was never into this franchise

Votes: 43 7.7%

• Total voters

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
It definitely was, but we then got a huge bore fest to follow it up. What a shame.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I just rewatched the first 2 movies recently.
And yep it wasn't nostalgia, they are still as entertaining as the first time I saw them .

WildGoose

Oct 27, 2017
For a good amount of time (like, an entire summer I guess, felt like it was longer at the time lol) this and Pirates 1 were the best shit I'd ever seen. They're the Monkey Island films we'll never get. 1 is amazing but I fucking love Dead Man's Chest, and I'm glad to see a lot of folks in here saying it's also their favourite. Davy Jones and Barbossa are still two of the sickest characters of all time. Just really great villains with iconic performances. I can remember being in the cinema and freaking out at the ending. It was extremely good.

I think 3 is quite good in hindsight if a bit messy and uneven, but 4 was a real letdown and I've still never seen 5.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I always thought "Oh, the villain from the first film? How's he going to help, he's just going to be evil again".

So it sorta fell flat for me.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
I remember it being fun, but really didn't care for Elizabeth's character suddenly being able to fight better then 75% of pirates. Wish they just would have used a new character or zoeys character for that, felt too disjointed, but I was never a big fan of Elizabeth and will.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Yes it was hype inducing and the movie was fantastic. I still to this day can't watch the third one without falling asleep, such a letdown.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Alright, starting the first one right now, gonna rewatch them all. Thanks OP :p
Now I've rewatched Pirates 1-2-3-4, still enjoyed good parts of 3, it's a mess and too long but it has some fantastic scenes.
It took me a whole freaking day to rewatch On Stranger Tides, it just couldn't keep my attention. It's a shame that Penelope Cruz and Ian McShane were wasted on such a weak entry.

Finally watching Dead Men Tell no Tales for the first time right now, and it has a much stronger start already. The music helps. It also look distinctly different from the other ones. The image is clearer, colors really pop, I think I like it. Alright dropping the phone now and watching the rest, I hope it stays at this level for the rest of the movie, I kinda feel like the same sort of energy the original had.

Oct 25, 2017
Im rewatching 3 now and just can't get over how good these movies look and how enjoyable they were.

Can Verbinski please get out of director's jail already

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Im rewatching 3 now and just can't get over how good these movies look and how enjoyable they were.

Can Verbinski please get out of director's jail already

It really is kinda of insane how the visual effects cross the original 3 films still largely holds up. Davy Jones always gets brought up (and for good reason) but honestly all three movies have some incredible CGI work.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Yeah, as someone who overall has mixed feelings about the franchise, this moment legit remains one of my favorite I've ever had in a packed theater.

Also, does it maybe say something about getting older that, as time has gone on, I find myself much more drawn to the character of Barbossa than I am Jack Sparrow?

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pirates 2 was fucking awesome at the time. A perfect cliffhanger as far as I'm concerned.

I really enjoyed how they grabbed bits and pieces from the first movie and just made up a bunch of lore about the world lol.

Kopite

Oct 28, 2017
It was good, but the movie itself being a bit of a let down after the amazing original was a bit meh

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Add me to the "I like 5" list.

4 is godawful tho
Never even saw 5 because 4 was so bad. In fact, one of the only things I even vaguely remember about 4 that i kinda liked was the whole idea that, given the first opportunity, Barbossa would abandon the whole code and pirate lifestyle to become a privateer because of course he's just shamelessly out for himself.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I said it before and I'll say it again - bring the series back with Pirates of the Caribbean: The Secret of Monkey Island.
Make Depp/Jack take the role of Murray and have it loosely connected that way to the OG movies. Otherwise no returning roles.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Never even saw 5 because 4 was so bad. In fact, one of the only things I even vaguely remember about 4 that i kinda liked was the whole idea that, given the first opportunity, Barbossa would abandon the whole code and pirate lifestyle to become a privateer because of course he's just shamelessly out for himself.
Wait. Wait.

There was a FIFTH?!
That's the one with Javier Bardem as the bad guy.

I've never seen it either. The 3rd one was a slog but the franchise really lost me with the 4th, where they somehow managed to make a shit movie despite the casting coup of Ian McShane as Blackbeard. Unforgivable.
I watched it last night and it was surprisingly good. I had a good time and wasn't bored for a second, which is great after the borefest that 4 was.
Though I'll say that Jack has turned into too much of a buffoon. People were drawn to him in the first film because you couldn't tell if he was an idiot or a genius, and that's what made his legend. Now he's just an idiot. Still entertaining, mind you, but yeah.
I also thought I wouldn't like the new, younger cast but the new girl is pretty great.
It's a shame it was less successful than the fourth one because it's really better. I'm okay if it's the last one though.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah he was supposed to be able to stay home based on the lore (if you see a flash of light his time as the ferryman was over). I heard the newer one changed that to him just visiting and he arrives when his kid is an adult.

Yeah, the fifth movie had Will still aboard the Dutchman.

One of the writers for At World's End said that Will was released from the Dutchman at the end of the movie due to Elizabeth remaining faithful to him throughout the ten years but he wasn't involved in the fifth movie so the idea was discarded.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendship™
Oct 26, 2017
Florida

One of the writers for At World's End said that Will was released from the Dutchman at the end of the movie due to Elizabeth remaining faithful to him throughout the ten years but he wasn't involved in the fifth movie so the idea was discarded.

Makes sense. I remember how much we debated the ending, if it was a happy ending or not. Kind of sucks they decided it was better for a sequel if the curse didn't lift but I need to watch the new movie first before judging.

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
Seriously, it was THE shit! I left the theater shivering. Jack Sparrow was dead, Captain Barbossa was back. Damn, great stuff.

I think I might do a Pirates marathon soon...

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Johnny Depp during the filming of 5 was going through the Amber Heard days, so his acting here wasn't up to perfection either.
Yeah but I didn't think he was bad. As a comic character he was great, and to me the issue stems more from the writing than his character.

Yeah he was supposed to be able to stay home based on the lore (if you see a flash of light his time as the ferryman was over). I heard the newer one changed that to him just visiting and he arrives when his kid is an adult.

Wut
First time I've heard of this, and it's pretty dumb from the writer
At no point in Pirates 3 is it stated that the curse is lifted, or that it would be lifted if Elizabeth remained faithful (wtf is that). It's repeated thoughout the entire movie that the curse is forever, with only 24 hours granted on land every ten years. Why would it be repeated so much if actually the curse would only last ten years? At no point in the movie is there something about faithfulness being able to break the curse. It was all set up to give a bittersweet ending, that was the whole point.
Honestly it's the first time I see that people interpreted the ending differently.

Bengraven