• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
Surely they can't land on the Epstein drive? That thing is like the core of a star. It'd dig its own crater.
I'd imagine all flying would be done with an Epstein drive, including taking off and landing on a planet.

The advantages would significantly outweigh the detriments. With the drive you could pretty easily go single stage to orbit, even on Earth, which would be game changing as far as spaceflight is concerned.

Kylarean

Oct 25, 2017
Gig Harbor, WA
Surely they can't land on the Epstein drive? That thing is like the core of a star. It'd dig its own crater.

I'm trying to remember the Roci's orientation when they landed on
Ganymede and was shooting at the pods with the hybrids in them
but am coming up blank. Will have to rewatch that episode.

Bookwise:
They land horizontally on Ganymede and Ilus

Oct 27, 2017
I just binged all 3 seasons in a week and did not expect to love this as much as I did.

One question that I don't think we ever got an answer for and maybe was no big deal (or I just missed it), in the very first episode before the Cant gets destroyed, Holden's girlfriend says "There's something you should know" and then dies. I was waiting the whole series for what she was talking about!

Rolfgang

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Finally finished the third season last week. Got behind a lot, because I only found out it started again a day or two before the cancellation, so that was a wild rollercoaster.

All in all, I loved the season, especially the new characters and their interactions with the old cast. I thought Anna would be extremely dull at first, as a goody two shoes and thought she was only introduced as a moral counterweight to Errinwright. But her later arc really gave her depth and her friendship with Amos (gotta love that deadly teddybear) is shaping up to be something special.

I also love Ashford. His accent, his mannerisms and the fact you never knew if he was going to betray Drummer (<3) made him really interesting. He also fits perfectly in my list of characters that I love that are grey-ish and play on another level, such as Roose Bolton and Littlefinger (before they ruined him).

And of course the return of Miller. Fuck. Yes. Baby. He was my favorite character until his heroic death and I was so glad he was back, even in a minor capacity. I really hope he will come back in season 4 and onwards as a sort of compass for Holden. Let's what they can make of the new worlds with an Amazonian budget.

The question that I don't think we ever got an answer for and maybe was no big deal (or I just missed it), in the very first episode before the Cant gets destroyed, Holden's girlfriend says "There's something you should know" and then dies. I was waiting the whole series for what she was talking about!

I think it was a classic "Jim... I'm pregnant."

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017
I just binged all 3 seasons in a week and did not expect to love this as much as I did.

One question that I don't think we ever got an answer for and maybe was no big deal (or I just missed it), in the very first episode before the Cant gets destroyed, Holden's girlfriend says "There's something you should know" and then dies. I was waiting the whole series for what she was talking about!

Don't remember episode number, but when Holden fights the protomolecule monster In the ship. When episode ends, flashes to protomolecule near their power source. Never brought up again after that!

Feral

Oct 25, 2017
Your Mom
they showed the protomolocule on the ship at least once in the second half of S3. I assumed that's how Miller could communicate with Holden outside of the ring

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
Finally finished season 3 and that was a great second half. The third book is one of the best, so it was great seeing the events unfold without any padding.

I'm a bit worried about season 4, since book 4 is a bit slow and not what you expect after all the potential of opening up the portals, but hopefully they won't take the entire season to cover it, or I fear some will be let down (when the series needs to keep up the momentum).

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
I found it!

It was a short story written by Robert J Sawyer, "The shoulders of Giants".

You can read it online at
https://www.sfwriter.com/stshould.htm
Any reference to this quote of Isaac Newton ("If I have seen further it is only by standing on the shoulders of giants") always reminds me of the variation from Murray Gell-Mann, a physicist who was not particularly enamored of the intellects of his peers: "If I have seen further than others, it is because I am surrounded by dwarfs."

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey so I'm currently on season 2 - no spoilers for 3 please - but in episode 7 there's a mini-story about the guy who accidentally invented the engine system capable of interplanetary travel. Throughout the episode it cuts back and forth between 'present' and '137 years ago' and shows the increasing peril of this guy's first high G flight... but halfway through the episode the short/side story just... ends. With the guy flying off into space at high-g's.

I may have got distracted near the end of the episode and missed something, but scrubbing through I couldn't find an end to the side story. It just stopped. I'm two episodes later and it hasn't reappeared.

Does this get tied up in a later episode? Super strange that the thread just cuts halfway through the ep, it was providing great structure. The end of the episode is the Draper's encounter with a humanoid protomolecule thing and it doesn't return to the engine guy at all.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Hey so I'm currently on season 2 - no spoilers for 3 please - but in episode 7 there's a mini-story about the guy who accidentally invented the engine system capable of interplanetary travel. Throughout the episode it cuts back and forth between 'present' and '137 years ago' and shows the increasing peril of this guy's first high G flight... but halfway through the episode the short/side story just... ends. With the guy flying off into space at high-g's.

I may have got distracted near the end of the episode and missed something, but scrubbing through I couldn't find an end to the side story. It just stopped. I'm two episodes later and it hasn't reappeared.

Does this get tied up in a later episode? Super strange that the thread just cuts halfway through the ep, it was providing great structure. The end of the episode is the Draper's encounter with a humanoid protomolecule thing and it doesn't return to the engine guy at all.
Nah, that sidestory was just for that episode.

Oct 25, 2017

I believe there was a web short that finished it

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
They might not have really said it, but the story implied he was screwed. The ship kept going until it ran out of fuel, after he was long dead. His monologue about his wife finding his plans on his computer, is exactly what happened.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
Well, yeah, that is the end of the side story. The inventor died due to prolonged high g forces, but his invention was one of the main driver behind, e.g., Mars' independence and a general much higher mobility of humanity within the solar system.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
They might not have really said it, but the story implied he was screwed. The ship kept going until it ran out of fuel, after he was long dead. His monologue about his wife finding his plans on his computer is how the drive, is exactly what happened.
In the book they talk about it for, like, half a page but they do say what happens:
Yeah, he wasn't able to stop but because he left all his notes back home, people were able to replicate his work.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
In the book they talk about it for, like, half a page but they do say what happens:
Yeah, he wasn't able to stop but because he left all his notes back home, people were able to replicate his work.
blah, you quoted my mess of an post before I fixed it.

There was a bit in one of the books I like where they reference Epstein.

Something about there are telescopes that can find his ship, still on it's way to wherever it was pointed out, still going because of all the inertia speed it picked up from it's long, full burst of speed. The ship had so much of a headstart, there's no ships out there that could ever catch up to it, since it's had 137 years of time to fly away. He's basically Voyager now.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, that sidestory was just for that episode.

They might not have really said it, but the story implied he was screwed. The ship kept going until it ran out of fuel, after he was long dead. His monologue about his wife finding his plans on his computer, is exactly what happened.

Well, yeah, that is the end of the side story. The inventor died due to prolonged high g forces, but his invention was one of the main driver behind, e.g., Mars' independence and a general much higher mobility of humanity within the solar system.

Nope. dude died because of the constant acceleration, but he had the plans stored on his home computer. I believe it's pretty much the same in the book.

Huh. The way the episode was structured, opening with that story and dipping back to it, I expected it to end with the guy.

To boot, he never mentioned having the notes back home and it all seemed very final. Although it makes sense. And the whole "my partner/wife will live in comfort for the rest of her days" was said with the tone "she could if I found a way out of this bind..." vibe to it.

Very strange. Good story either way.

Thanks anyway!

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Huh. The way the episode was structured, opening with that story and dipping back to it, I expected it to end with the guy.

To boot, he never mentioned having the notes back home and it all seemed very final. Although it makes sense. And the whole "my partner/wife will live in comfort for the rest of her days" was said with the tone "she could if I found a way out of this bind..." vibe to it.

Very strange. Good story either way.

Thanks anyway!

"I never gave Katie a child, but she had the plans to my drive. They'd maker her rich for the rest of her life."

chalkitdown

Oct 26, 2017
Cast member addition, maybe? Book readers, are there prominent new characters in book 4 that we should look forward to?

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Casting news most likely.
Maybe they will start the early push of Inaros storyline. Maybe Bezos money will attract some bigger stars.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Michael Mando, please.

I didn't even know I wanted such a thing, but now I want this so much.

I just binge watched all but the last 3 episodes this week, and had to stop last night at 2 am. I had never even heard of this show before and it's so so damn good. Good on Amazon for picking it up.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Agree to disagree - my definition of big is different from yours. Especially after everything that happened in the last months.
That's pretty much the biggest news a show can have, judging any other news by "it still exist" isn't really fair. I'm sure whatever the actual news won't be anywhere near the previous news.

raindoc

Oct 29, 2017
That's pretty much the biggest news a show can have, judging any other news by "it still exist" isn't really fair. I'm sure whatever the actual news won't be anywhere near the previous news.
obviously. i never said big means biggest. and in this day and age and on twitter big can be used to hype the smallest thing.
but in my book, casting an actor who's name the majority of viewers would have to search on the web, ain't *big* news.
we'll see what the martian meant.

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
so any news on the news? or was it the confirmation on the next book's release date that was the news?

Paganmoon

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if this means anything

GoT crossover obviously.

Edit: hmm, doesn't that road literally mean "road of the dragon" or Dragons road or something?

Daniel Abraham's first book in his (awesome) The Dagger and The Coin fantasy book series is called "The Dragons Path".

Just putting that out there. Not sure how that'd be related to The Expanse in any way, other than Abraham.

Status
Not open for further replies.