• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder why they are so apprehensive about giving us the option to disable them on are end in a setting available on the website.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Imagine just straight up telling people we won't listen to feedback until a later date (lol) and then what appears to be a gag order on this thread. Silence.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
this continues to be an incredibly strange hill for the admins to die on when it comes to listening to feedback and iterating on changes to this website.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised it hasn't considering this is the only communication of this feature and the staff response is "we'll wait until you've had to deal with it for awhile before taking input"

still wonder if it's for advertisers

I don't think it's for advertisers, but that would be ironic since the easiest way to hide the tags is to use an adblocker

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
It's incredibly clear that the mods and admins did not have a coordinated message going into this, to the point where most of them didn't know what to say and fell over their shoelaces saying it, so I can understand the desire to keep quiet until they have a consensus message.

But a whole-ass day really seems like they just left the state in a van while this whole thing blows over.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Weren't they trying to back door an obnoxious ad bar a quarter way down the thread list a few weeks ago?

Stellares

Oct 27, 2017
At bare minimum the tags must be in their own column so titles are in the same starting position. Also if they weren't purple and distracting it would be better. As of now its a bad experience.

Oct 27, 2017
this continues to be an incredibly strange hill for the admins to die on when it comes to listening to feedback and iterating on changes to this website.

Yeah this is bizarre. I mean this is kinda a silly thing for users to stir drama and get worked up about, but that just makes the radio silence from the admins even weirder.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
It's a bit heavy, but not the worst thing. I say give it about a week to calm the reactionary responses.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I wonder why they are so apprehensive about giving us the option to disable them on are end in a setting available on the website.

It's probably not possible, or would require more know how than the team possesses.

It makes me want to post less though, and I have no desire to make new threads now until they at least tell us the rules and reasoning behind this. Do new thread makers have to add tags? How do we decide which one to use? Will mis-tagging or not tagging be actionable? Can we add more than one tag? How do you even add tags?

The mod team are unpaid volunteers, probably with their with their own full time jobs and families, and they're doing Gods work keeping this forum well moderated, but now they're also going to have to zip in and out of every thread adding tags as well?

Can we at least know what the benefit of this is, and why it's worth tanking the sites readability over?

I know there hasn't been an update yet, but hopefully the mods are working on a way to at least hide them visually

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
I don't like it, but maybe the tags could be redesigned into more neutral color that does not pop like this. "Spoiler" tag is unobtrusive [ironic, since that that should be most important of them all].

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else on large text mode on mobile getting thread titles with completely random font sizes?

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
You'd think the fact many people are needing a third party stylesheet just to make the thread list readable again is a pretty damning idictment of the changes. I guess I'm fortunate that I can pretend these don't exist anymore while on desktop, but the horror comes back full-force when I go on mobile.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
people saying that "bah, everyone just hates change" clearly don't remember the death of neon purple

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Why is an option to disable these tags so controversial? This makes no sense to me.

It's not, there just hasn't been any communication so people are speculating. I'm assuming there won't be an option to hide them because if that was possible a mod would have posted it was in the works 300 user complaints ago

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
It's not, there just hasn't been any communication so people are speculating. I'm assuming there won't be an option to hide them because if that was possible a mod would have posted it was in the works 300 user complaints ago

There was official communication last night in this thread. They said they will revisit it in the future if there continues to be strong feedback. No timeframe was given.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
Why is an option to disable these tags so controversial? This makes no sense to me.
It really shouldn't be, should it?

At a time when there's quite a lot of disquiet over how this site is run and moderated, and we're being told that admin and mods are actively listening to us and working to improve things, we get a new feature dropped on us unannounced, with no explanation whatsoever, and then told that it's going to be here for a while before they even start taking feedback. Now I'm not comparing complaints about thread tags with concerns over bigotry or user behaviours, but the approach taken here doesn't feel particular collaborative or constructive. Further, I am happy for admin to introduce new features and improvements to the board (such as being able to ignore threads without having to enter them) but if you're going to do so without any consultation, explanation or opportunity for feedback then you'd better be prepared for disgruntled users to sound off. Finally, for the avoidance of doubt, whilst I dislike this change, in the greater scheme of things it isn't a major problem in of itself (and the fact that users have already come up with a workaround to remove it definitely ameliorates the impact) but it's the way it is being done that rankles.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's definitely possible.They just don't want to do it for some reason and won't say why.

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
It doesn't seem to matter what the intentions are starting off but mods and admins on forums always seem to go mad with power after a while. The vast majority don't want this change.

DFG

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There was official communication last night in this thread. They said they will revisit it in the future if there continues to be strong feedback. No timeframe was given.
"Maybe if we leave and come back at a later date, they'll get used to it and shut up about it"

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It really shouldn't be, should it?

At a time when there's quite a lot of disquiet over how this site is run and moderated, and we're being told that admin and mods are actively listening to us and working to improve things, we get a new feature dropped on us unannounced, with no explanation whatsoever, and then told that it's going to be here for a while before they even start taking feedback. Now I'm not comparing complaints about thread tags with concerns over bigotry or user behaviours, but the approach taken here doesn't feel particular collaborative or constructive. Further, I am happy for admin to introduce new features and improvements to the board (such as being able to ignore threads without having to enter them) but if you're going to do so without any consultation, explanation or opportunity for feedback then you'd better be prepared for disgruntled users to sound off. Finally, for the avoidance of doubt, whilst I dislike this change, in the greater scheme of things it isn't a major problem in of itself (and the fact that users have already come up with a workaround to remove it definitely ameliorates the impact) but it's the way it is being done that rankles.

Yeah, I like the mods and admins of this forum, so I'm not trying to tie this in to some greater crusade against this forum or anything. It's just weird how secretive they're being over these tags.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's definitely possible.They just don't want to do it for some reason and won't say why.

They should just say "We like it, we're not bothered if the majority of users don't, get used to it" then we can all stop wondering about it and download browser extensions that fix it and move on

If they're working on a way to remove/hide it, then all we need is a brief message saying that with a promise of an update shortly and we'd all just move on

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017
This is how all the changes have been here. Remember when they tried to merge the forums, everyone said it would be awful, they did it anyways, it was awful, then reverted ASAP.

This is a money/advertising issue. I'm sure forum growth is stagnant and they're looking for an angle.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
It is insane that these tags have now existed for 3 days and there is no explanation-such as being able to click on one and see a filtered list- except for some random posts in a thread called "the f is this"

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
As a community manager: please era invest in community managing. Not even money, but time and transparency and feedback.

Also: I still would like an official way to disable the tags, given the reason they are, at the moment, a completely useless feature that's just here because it can be. This is not a "users don't like new stuff" thing, and if it were, just a/b test or make them opt-in/out.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
They should just say "We like it, we're not bothered if the majority of users don't, get used to it" then we can all stop wondering about it and download browser extensions that fix it and move on

If they're working on a way to remove/hide it, then all we need is a brief message saying that with a promise of an update shortly and we'd all just move on

I can't download browser extensions as I post 100% on iPad/iPhone in Safari. I don't want to stop using Safari, and more importantly, I shouldn't have to.

They added the option to disable the avatars in the thread titles, this should be no different. And yeah, a brief message that they are working on it would be great.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I like them overall but we need more like [LTTP], [Shitpost] and stuff so you can filter them and find the good threads. As it is it's just 90% of tags being either News or OT so it doesn't really add anything meaningful.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
I like them overall but we need more like [LTTP], [Shitpost] and stuff so you can filter them and find the good threads. As it is it's just 90% of tags being either News or OT so it doesn't really add anything meaningful.
Just add hashtag functionality to threads, and to the ignore & search functions. Job done.

Kuga

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My continued feedback, as requested: I still want an option to disable this tagging system, or, if that isn't feasible, for the entire system to be removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.