2 gifts from HylianSeven

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 2 gifts from HylianSeven HylianSeven!

This is a raffle that will expire in 12 hours. The winner will be drawn at random! Any prizes leftover after the deadline will become available on a first-come first-serve basis.

HylianSeven said:
Giving away extra copies of Fallout 76 I got for Xbox and PC!

These are our awesome prizes:

• Xbox One Xbox One: Fallout 76 - Won by Bru Bru (1 entry)
  • PC - Microsoft Store PC - Microsoft Store: Fallout 76 - Won by ExhaustedWalrus ExhaustedWalrus (5 entries)

petetnt

Oct 28, 2017
I have been writing good things about Fallout 76 community for years now but really, it's REALLY GOOD. People are super friendly. PVP is disencouraged. Helping newbies is always a top priority. Every can enjoy the events. Rich help the poor. Need extra money? Put a crappy gun for sale and someone will for sure buy them. Want to just hang around - join a random team. Want to do daily missions? There's always a team for that. It's really the least toxic community I have seen online. I have played for 350 hours and only have ran into 1 griefer and even that was a misunderstading.

There's things to say about end game economy, but in general it's great that things that matter to low and mid level players like stimpacks and ammo is plentiful for highlevel players, so you can just give them away as needed.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
so which is the better Fallout game:
FO4 or 76?
thinking about getting it.
Steam reviews say its boring tho. And I was bored by FO4 quickly too

2 gifts from Yogi.

GiftBot

Official Giveaway Bot
Verified
Mar 7, 2018

Giveaway

Restrictions:
Hello, I am bot! I come bearing 2 gifts from Yogi. Yogi.!

This is a first-come first-serve giveaway. Any claimed prize will instantly be delivered.

Yogi. said:
Join us in Appalachia!

I have my own Steam and Playstation versions and want to share the free Prime gaming ones for anyone who is interested!

These are our awesome prizes:

• Xbox series X/S Xbox series X/S: Fallout 76
  • Microsoft Store Microsoft Store: Fallout 76

petetnt

Oct 28, 2017
so which is the better Fallout game:
FO4 or 76?
thinking about getting it.
Steam reviews say its boring tho. And I was bored by FO4 quickly too

From last weeks Fallout 4 thread:

If you just want to play a Bethesda Fallout, Fallout 76 does everything that Fallout 4 does but better. Especially the newer quests are more akin to Fallout 1/2/NV than they are to Fallout 4.

If you just want to play Fallout 4, it's definitely a game that you can spend time on. It can be good, or it can be bad, but the lack of any significant choices or abundance of interesting characters make the story just a task list, so if you want to enjoy the game you need to find the enjoyment elsewhere - luckily the game does provide some good vistas for that.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
The 76 community is legit! It's interesting how it formed during Vanilla due to the absence of NPCs and it's just kind of kept going.

Bethell

Oct 27, 2017
Have recently re-started Fallout 4, for the 3rd time i think after watching the show.

FEels good to be jump back in - havent ever touched FO76 though!

The Kidd

Oct 27, 2017
My issue with F76 when I played it early last year was the hit lag from enemies, is that better now?

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
There are a few people just outside the vault door and the general starting area just giving stuff out. I just gave out some rib eyes and purified water to someone just coming out. They had the celebration hat on and everything! Aside from being kind if you've been playing the game long enough you are probably just exploding with stuff that you don't know what to do with.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
The opposite here. I'm about level 12 so far seen nobody.

Even did a couple events and still nothing. I get it tho it's a pretty big map with 25 players the max.

Surprised they just didn't make this a full blown mmo.

That seems crazy. If you really want to run into to people, just fast travel to their camp…costs a couple caps, but they usually Have stuff for sale.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
They really are. I've ran into multiple players that were nothing but helpful towards me, giving me items, helping me out during quests and the like. I thank all of you amazing Power Armored angels.

Plum

May 31, 2018
How is the 'onboarding' experience outside of helpful community members? Personally I'd really like a classical Bethesda-styled open world to explore - especially one I can play alongside podcasts/YT videos - but the idea of coming into a GaaS so far after launch is kinda stressful for me. Feels like there's gonna be all this 'stuff' dumped on me that was originally meant to be played over a long period of time.

I have started the game before, so I know the general gist of things from like 2 years ago, but for some reason it was hard-locked to 50fps on my PC so I dropped it. Might just go with the Series X version now it's officially 60fps.

petetnt

Oct 28, 2017
How is the 'onboarding' experience outside of helpful community members? Personally I'd really like a classical Bethesda-styled open world to explore - especially one I can play alongside podcasts/YT videos - but the idea of coming into a GaaS so far after launch is kinda stressful for me. Feels like there's gonna be all this 'stuff' dumped on me that was originally meant to be played over a long period of time.

I have started the game before, so I know the general gist of things from like 2 years ago, but for some reason it was hard-locked to 50fps on my PC so I dropped it. Might just go with the Series X version now it's officially 60fps.

There's two very distinct storylines that basically walk you through the whole game and new stuff introduced later open up as you progress. Even the other storyline was originally introduced in the patch, the point where the game started to become better. There is no "meta" you need to know or care about, outside of certain builds that might be more overpowered than others, but none of that is required to beat the game or have fun.

FPS limit can be unlocked on PC, it just forces VSync so you need to disable it from an .ini file. You need to cap the framerate through eg. NVidia inspector though.

Plum

May 31, 2018
There's two very distinct storylines that basically walk you through the whole game and new stuff introduced later open up as you progress. Even the other storyline was originally introduced in the patch, the point where the game started to become better. There is no "meta" you need to know or care about, outside of certain builds that might be more overpowered than others, but none of that is required to beat the game or have fun.
Cool, thanks! I was worried that they'd just dump all the separate major updates on you and expect you to figure things out lol.

Once my broken internet's up and running, and I'm not stuck with 4G tethering, I'll give it a download :)

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
So I really need to try it again.
How is the story and quest lines? It's it better than FO4?

Last edited:

Thecrisisking

Mar 24, 2020
I've been meaning to buy it and give it a shot. Can't get 3 to play on PC no matter what which is super frustrating.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Surprised they just didn't make this a full blown mmo.

This would kill a lot of the appeal of the world, feeling like it's dead and you are surviving. Honestly I'm very glad they kept it to small servers (not to mention I don't think the engine could handle it. They decided to use the same engine they do for their SP games and it really doesn't like doing MP). Having people everywhere would not feel like fallout at all.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
In the brief handful of hours I played last year, I saw a few people who waved at me and one person who gave me a starter kit kinda thing with a handful of useful items to make my life easier. It was very nice of them.

Going to potentially drag a friend into trying this co-op after we both enjoyed the show.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Start at level 2 or twenty? Have never played before.

Any other tips for new players?
It really doesn't matter. You can level up pretty quickly. If you want to head out with a bit of a build and able to equip things like power armor and great weapons right off the bat, go 20. If you want to start off with basically nothing to learn the game go 2. Neither choice really matters, just preference.

Spend a lot of your time when you first start collecting junk all over the wasteland and then building a camp with it. Make sure you scrap your junk and then store it so it doesn't weigh you down.

Don't shy away from joining events. Just don't start the events let others do it. Low levels are free to participate.

Joining a casual team is something like 99 percent of people do for experience bonuses and mutation bonuses most don't do it to play with others so feel free to join a team.

Or don't. With a proper build and equipment pretty much everything in the game can be solo'd including the end game bosses.

Resetta Stone

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing, Arizona
A few tips:

- Direct trading with players is still broken, so often players will just leave items in loot bags for you to grab. You can try direct, in-menu trading but it's a pain in the ass to work with.
- Keep a high INT stat if you can. It benefits newer players to level up as fast as possible so they can utilize weapons and gear that are maxed out, stats wise (Level 50).
- Weight reduction perk cards, specifically for ammo are your friend.
- Get ready to mutate! Buy some mutation serums from player vendors so you can jump higher (Marsupial) or regen health super quick when not in combat.
- If you're using said serums, be sure to use Starched Genes Lvl 2/Class Freak Lvl 3 cards to retain your mutations and reduce the debuffs from them.
- You can solo quests and for the most part are pretty decent to accommodate solo runs.
- Always join a public team, you get benefits from serums and Charisma-specific cards if you do.
- Don't waste caps on overpriced stuff in players vendors if you're scraping by on caps. Players tend to do this for trade reasons or are too greed stricken to lower prices. Luckily, it's not hard to gain caps in this game.
- Always check the donation boxes at the train stations. Whitesprings train station, especially.
- Join big events like boss runs if it has a bunch of players congregated there. A lot of them are higher level vets who'll melt face, just be sure to land some shots on the bosses so you can get the full spectrum of rewards.
- PvP is garbage, was always garbage, and will continue to be garbage.

I am probably forgetting loads since I have been playing since the beta, as some stuff has changed for new player experiences.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
Just gave it a shot again on PC - had to manually edit the ini file since GSync and frame-pacing were broken, runs pretty well now.
I remember why I abandoned the game tho - the controls on KB+M are pretty horrible and remapping (I need it for accessibility) is impossible in this game because almost every key is mapped for menus and stuff. I will try to use a controller or just play on Steam Deck - it runs good there.

q: can people mess with your camp(s) or is it always safe?

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Just gave it a shot again on PC - had to manually edit the ini file since GSync and frame-pacing were broken, runs pretty well now.
I remember why I abandoned the game tho - the controls on KB+M are pretty horrible and remapping (I need it for accessibility) is impossible in this game because almost every key is mapped for menus and stuff. I will try to use a controller or just play on Steam Deck - it runs good there.

They can nuke your camp and that will destroy it. But people do not usually waste nukes for no reason. You would have to tick them off for the most part.

There are ways to grief a camp. Baiting enemies or using turrets. But it is pretty rare for anybody to do this. I have only seen it a handful of times at level 1300. If somebody tries it, just leave the server. It is also pretty easy to repair your whole camp anyway unless you are a really low level.

OP
OP
Gowans

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
I've had another cool moment today.

I was in some hot water with a baddie way over my level, in the fight out of nowhere a guy pops behind me and starts fighting side by side. Loved it, we were best friends.

On top of that I've had people drop me guns, Bobbie pins, stims using the visual emotes to say hello.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017

What is the ini fix? This game has always required using Nvidia Inspector to enable Gsync since it launched.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
My brother and I picked this up again last night after not playing for a few years. We decided to just start out with new characters since we didn't remember much of what we were doing. Both did the tutorial, came out of the vault, and there was like a level 500 there waiting and started dropping us ammo and stuff, waved, then left lol. I thought it was pretty cool.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I really should give this a shot eventually.
Shame my video card is acting up and I'm too cheap for Xbox Live Gold.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
My brother and I picked this up again last night after not playing for a few years. We decided to just start out with new characters since we didn't remember much of what we were doing. Both did the tutorial, came out of the vault, and there was like a level 500 there waiting and started dropping us ammo and stuff, waved, then left lol. I thought it was pretty cool.
I always do stuff like that when I see low levels. I'll trot over and drop stimpacks/radaway/etc. I always laugh when im trying to use emotes to point out what I dropped, but they don't understand and just wander away.

Fulcrum

Nov 7, 2022
Community is great. Every time I give the game a try it is a positive experience. Unfortunately, I'm too dumb to understand the point of the game and stop playing a few hours in. I absolutely adore everything Fallout but just don't understand what FO76 is supposed to be.

Negatorous

Jul 14, 2018
This game is free right now if you're an Amazon Prime member, it's also on Game Pass right now as well IIRC.

Bio Booster Armoire

Prophet of Truth
Apr 21, 2020
I normally hate these GAAS-y, persistent MP games, but I got loads of mileage out of this one and the community was a big reason why. People are really generous when you're starting out and it's fun to receiprocate when you're fully geared, leveled up and sitting on enough fresh water, stims and food to outfit an entire server.

Never happened to me, but my brother has encountered multiple people just doling out high level schematics. Someone even crafted a few sets of endgame armor for him, just because.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
How many hours of fun can you expect from the game before the GAAS grind elements start getting in the way? Need a Fallout fix after watching the show, but Fallout 4 remains the kind of game that stumbles because it tied its own shoelaces together

Nester

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've always had good experiences in game with other players. Jumping in this weekend for my kids' first try in game!

DanteRavenkin

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
reading about everyone's positive experiences in game makes me smile! I've said elsewhere that 76 is my favourite Fallout game. I play on PC (and I WISH it had Crossplay so I could play with my brother) but I've done everything solo. Although, one fun aspect of the game is that you can just jump in and work with people on bosses. Like in Cranberry Bog...

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Xbox and PS5 got stealth updates last year that give it official 60 FPS already. There's not much more you need out of it.

Hmm. I wasn't aware about it tbh. Yeah this defines stealth update haha. Thanks for the tip. Still want proper update like FO4 though that may bring official DS support and SSD loadings.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I may give it a shot again. I tried it a few years ago (I think it was free for a few days?) and I didn't really get into it, but I hear it's so much better now.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Does 76 has proper ending or is there some kind of raids and grinding /seasons

The main/original storyline does have an ending, so if you're just worried about getting closure you do have some of that. On the other hand, it's also intended as a funnel into the endgame content, so of course the end doesn't mean the end.

From what I remember, the main thing driving the seasonal grind is the battle pass, but that was introduced just as I was leaving the game for the second time, after wrapping up the main story and Wastelanders, so I don't have a ton of experience with it. There are, of course, also rotating seasonal events and whatnot, and the occasional story drop with new missions and such, but from what I remember that stuff didn't really get in the way too much if you just wanted to focus on your own thing/finishing the story.