• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Yeah I know. The answer is money.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The Fandom Menace is a group of Star Wars fans (that's mainly active on YouTube) that dislike Disney Star Wars and are very anti-Disney.
In the last couple of years this group has expanded their hate into other areas like Star Trek and Marvel/DC movies.

I'm actually not a Star Wars fan, but in the last 3 or 4 years I've rediscovered my love of Star Trek though Discovery and in particular Lower Decks.
I was honestly surprised by how much bile and hatred I found online by YouTubers about the shows.
There's also a streak of misogyny that is common with all these YouTubers too. You can see hints of that alone in the thumbnails below.

Three examples, all of which are from different channels.

ogDRbOr.jpg

QwvN4uO.jpg

MbC6DBG.jpg

Is there anything that can be done about this?

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
There are dozens of Star Wars threads every week on this forum, many of them with TLJ takes, so clearly the hate brigade makes people feel like these issues are worth discussing ad nauseum... (which isn't to say that Era posters agree with this site... just that they play a part in keeping these same debates a live issue).

NekoNeko

Coward
Oct 26, 2017
DOCTOR WHO ON THE BRINK OF COLLAPSE
the amount of times Brie Larson or Jodie Whittaker got fired in their universe is quite staggering.

Barrel_Roll

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
For some of them it's undoubtedly about making money off exploiting that segment of fandom and the YT algorithm.

Apr 25, 2020
I think it's just another avenue to express anti-corporate sentiment, which you know, is perfectly okay with me. I just find the obnoxious clickbaity thumbnails annoying more than anything.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
One of the nice things of largely no Marvel/DC/StarWars releases these last 12 months was the lack of absolutely exhausting fan tirades dominating the internet around every one of these releases.

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

People love to hate.

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
Everytime one of those shitty videos creeps into my YT recommendations I smash that Not Interested button.

Relix

Oct 25, 2017
They are smart because they are gaming the system. I think perhaps the real problem of those who consume the content and actually...enjoy it? Or go into "fan wars"?

Like we all know everyone hates TLJ and it's a piece of shit movie that destroyed Star Wars and everything along it, but there's a segment of the population that wants to watch the world burn and say they enjoy it. They just want to fight.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
9NjI1GT.png

haha

It's all a grift. Performantive toxic fandom is among the most reliable sources of income on Youtube.
Because people just love to hear their biases confirmed over and over and over again. Don't like women in movies? Here's some people that sound smart, telling you why you're right.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
The other problem I have with these is YouTube. They only let you ignore an entire channel if it shows up in your sidebar recommendations, not if they show up on your home page recommendations. And these keep showing up because I watch Star Wars related content and YouTube doesn't know the difference.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think it's just another avenue to express anti-corporate sentiment, which you know, is perfectly okay with me. I just find the obnoxious clickbaity thumbnails annoying more than anything.

so you okay with misogyny then?

there is nothing about being anti-corporate when the thing they are complaining about is literally women on protagonists roles.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I just don't get why worry about crappy YT channels. There are thousands.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of appreciate the overt thumbnails, as I can immediately put those channels on ignore whenever they happen to pop up in my youtube feed. No one should expose themselves to that kind of pandering toxicity.

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
There are a million different topics referenced in the thumbnails in the OP, and you choose to latch on to that?
No, that's what they're latching onto. I'm not talking about the thumbnails, I'm talking about the shit that shows up in my own YouTube feed. It's pretty much exclusively bitching about Kathleen Kennedy being the sole reason for Star Wars' issues, and Jodie Whittaker being the worst thing that ever happened to the BBC, etc.

TheGummyBear

Jan 6, 2018
United Kingdom

Just one glance at the thumbnails provided demonstrates that it has nothing to do with being anti-corporate. In fact, they can't get enough of corporate product when it suits them, and have even concocted a bullshit narrative like the Star Wars franchise being "woke no more" and Kathleen Kennedy despising the Luke Skywalker cameo in Mandalorian, and that she's now actively fighting Disney leadership, despite the fact she is an executive producer on the show and there is no sign of anything like that happening.

They adore corporate product when it panders to their wants and sensibilities, then get mad when there's the first female Doctor, or that Laura Dern turns up in Star Wars with purple hair, because it doesn't line up with what they want or expect.

Worse still is that by flooding the internet with their narratives, they manage to gain traction. To use the Star Wars example, I've seen people here on era push the bullshit narrative that Mandalorian canon is set to erase the sequel trilogy, a rumour that stemmed from these kinds of youtubers in the wake of the Luke cameo.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's all a grift to appeal to losers/right-wingers that think that women ruined things like Marvel and Star Wars. It sucks because people on this website reiterate a lot of their stupid and misogynistic takes on people like Brie Larson and Kathleen Kennedy.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I tired of their grift early on. Blocked many of them and tell youtube to stop recommending their channels if they pop up anywhere on your feed. I wish more people would do the same.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
"Did Bill and Ted go woke?"

Yes

In 1989

What did you think "Be excellent to each other" meant

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
You can't even watch a positive Star Wars video without getting inundated with that crap. It's really annoying.

grady

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
The fact that people are still arguing online about The Last Jedi is especially funny to me. It was a film I saw a few years ago and thought was alright at best, and haven't really thought about it since. People like this have somehow found something about it to debate seemingly almost every day for years now. Wasted life.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
This isn't unique to "The Fandom Menace".

There are hundreds upon hundreds of YouTube channels like this, all with thousands of subscribers. 90% of them are alt-right MAGA chuds. This is the same network of YouTube channels that ensures that you cannot mention Brie Larson or Vic Mignogna without explicitly siding with them.

They also see the MCU as "SJW PROPOGANDA" because they hire women or non-white people or non-straight people.

It's fucking poison.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You should recontextualize their work as wage labor then you'll understand how much exhaustion they can take.

And the way to "soft-solve" this is some kind of UBI. I cannot imagine a hard solution because social capital will usually always gravitate towards lowest common denominator stuff, such is the mathematical nature of popularity contests.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
The usual hate-mongers, alt-right or otherwise. They and all of the other groups that were going ham on Brie Larson and Captain Marvel in general back before and after Endgame were astonishing to see how stupid people could believe and spread the nonsense. WW84 (and now JW leaving Doctor Who after this season, apparently) is the newest "see? see?! people don't like them!" excuse to content mill a bunch of garbage out and get it spread via algorithms.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Heads up: some of you guys' favorite Star Wars youtuber, Star Wars Theory, showed up on Geeks and Gamers (a big Fandom Menace "I hate sjw" channel) after the stuff with Pablo Hidalgo happened.

Just another YouTuber that shouldn't see the light of day here.