• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
THE FAVOURITE is a bawdy, acerbic tale of royal intrigue, passion, envy and betrayal in the court of Queen Anne in early 18th century England. At the center of the story is the Queen herself (Olivia Colman), whose relationship with her confidante, adviser and clandestine lover Sarah Churchill, Duchess of Marlborough (Rachel Weisz) is turned upside down by the arrival of the Duchess's younger cousin Abigail (Emma Stone). Soon the balance of power shifts between the women as they jockey for influence with the Queen and the court.

When I heard Lanthimos was doing a Fox Searchlight backed costume drama, I was a little worried he might be tampered down for Oscar considerations. But that appears to not be the case! Not sure what I love more, Olivia Colman's juicy role, Robbie Ryan's cinematography, or those always beautiful Sandy Powell costumes.

In Theaters November 23, 2018

OP
OP
ViewtifulJC

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DhquzOaX0AIFOX4.jpg

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Lol, looks great

I thought he'd be making a more conventional costume drama with this one but it looks like its filled with his usual brand of cynical and cruel humor which is dope to see

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Looks good. I like that the actors actually appear to be emoting in this one. His "just read the lines" approach worked well for The Lobster, but didn't for Sacred Deer IMO, with maybe the exception of Barry Keoghan's character.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry for the necro bump but did anyone see this? I can't find it playing anywhere in my area (South Florida). Very disappointing as it seems it's extremely limited release.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The Lobster was a fun watch and tackled some cool stuff, Killing of a Sacred Deer was less cool thematically but a better movie imo. Trailers for this don't do much for me but I'm glad it's good. This guy keeps pumping out movies.

Oct 27, 2017
I saw it last night. It wasn't quite as funny as expected but it's a good movie that left me thinking for a bit.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This was OK. Funnier than expected but far less strange than his previous films. Is it weird to be disappointed when Yorgos Lanthimos is somewhat straightforward?

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
So uh, did anyone see it? I saw it today. Wild is putting it lightly.

I think the third act was a little bit rushed, since I was hoping for more conflict, but it's an enjoyable trip.

All three actresses are stellar, I don't even the Academy.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Saw it today. Amazing film! Read previously that is was more accessible than The Lobster and Killing of a Sacred Deer but didn't really think that was the case. Funny and dark..Career best performances from all the leads, weird surreal cinematography.

Don't know if I liked it as much as The Lobster or Killing of a Sacred Deer, but I'd be unsurprised if its my favourite film of 2019 (just got released in the UK today)

Cinema was almost full... I think most were expecting a more traditional costume drama. I kinda of wonder how thrown they were.

I've been wondering,

do you think Abigail was corrupted by the environment, or was she always like that and just putting up a front? I like to think the former, my friend thinks the latter.

I think she was always a schemer

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Lanthimos finally topped Dogtooth, this movie was outstanding. Too many damn fish-eye lens shots, but that's his thing I guess. All three of those women should be up for Oscars, and Nicholas Hoult was also excellent.

Quick

Oct 25, 2017
Saw it tonight, it's damn good.

Cast was superb, so was the story. Nicholas Hoult in particular was great outside of Stone, Colman, and Weisz. And I really enjoyed it overall. It's marketed as a comedy, and it manages to live up to it while still keeping that costume drama look on.

I've been wondering,

do you think Abigail was corrupted by the environment, or was she always like that and just putting up a front? I like to think the former, my friend thinks the latter.

I'd say she was always like that, but her environment provided some inspiration later on in how far she could go.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely phenomenal dark comedy, easily the best I've seen in years. Maybe because all of its sharply aimed wrath feels so controlled?

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
a magnificent piece of cinema

it looked glorious, the script was super sharp, and the performances were sensational

there's a strong argument that it could the best film of the year

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
Saw this the other day and didn't realize there was a thread for it. I thought it started out okay and then kept getting better as I realized where it was going. But my wife was the reverse, where she thought it started out great and then was just okay by the end.

I appreciated the juxtaposition of this ruling class lording their power over their lessers, while still not living that great of a life by modern standards. It did such a good job driving home the absurdity of raucous nobility. Nothing was painted in black and white.

I want to know how much of Abigail's character was genuine. I think that's the driving element of the movie and it's quite intriguing.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been wondering,

i guess i took it as her being in a desperate situation and waiting for her time to take action. and like a lot of things once she started going she wanted to see how far she could take it. the element that i've been thinking about was her pride in where she thought she should be versus where she was, because of her noble background. rachel weisz's line about "playing very different games" has been on my mind too.

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
Finally saw this - it's available via early access on Vudu as of today, so I bought it without a second thought. Absolutely outstanding! I'll be mulling this one around in my head for a few days.

I liked the final touch, wherein

Abigail had achieved so much of what she wanted, and yet she's down on her knees serving again anyway.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Finally got to see this movie. Ended up liking it a lot.

Was rooting for Abigail... until that scene putting her foot on that rabbit. Then when she ended up serving yet again in the finale:

tenor.gif