giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul

Illegal drug store selling heroin, meth, cocaine in downtown Vancouver for safe supply

Darrian_Matassa-Fung.jpg

By Darrian Matassa-Fung Global News

drug-store-sign.jpg

A Vancouver man has opened a mobile drug store to provide a safe supply of illicit substances to users in the downtown core.

70c8fc80

Drug user advocates have been calling for an accessible safe supply for years to combat the toxic and drug overdose crisis and, now, Jerry Martin has taken matters into his own hands.

"We are trying to help curb overdoses and other dangers that happen from drug buying," he told Global News.

"We are providing testing and supplies so people can do drugs safer."

Full article here:

globalnews.ca

Illegal drug store selling heroin, meth, cocaine in downtown Vancouver for safe supply | Globalnews.ca

Wednesday was the opening day for The Drugs Store, a small mobile store that is selling heroin, meth, cocaine and MDMA in downtown Vancouver.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like authorities are aware but he wants to be arrested specifically so he can challenge drug laws.

odiin

Oct 27, 2017
Man, heroin users are getting ripped off and would save a ton of money by switching to meth.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Not the worst harm reduction method, but really the government should be tackling this issue and providing safe ways to consume drugs for those who are addicted and want to ease off.

Kmonk

#TeamThierry
Oct 30, 2017
US
There are laudable elements to this plan for sure. But the issues in a venture like this must be extremely tough to manage.

Security alone seems really difficult. You either have to pay huge costs for proper security, or deal with hold-ups/break-ins on a daily basis. Maybe both.

CanadianGoose

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 23, 2023
I give this place a month before shit hits the fan. Wouldnt mind checking out the area though just because of my curious eye. Hardly ever go into Van anymore.

CanadianGoose

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 23, 2023
I guess I didn't realize that BC got a decriminalization order. The more you know.

Obviously I can't speak to the state of harm reduction in Vancouver, but is it as easily accessible as this man's shop?

Yeah, we have vans/set ups by our outreach centres that handle safe injection and give out clean needles as well.

OP
OP
giallo

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I give this place a month before shit hits the fan. Wouldnt mind checking out the area though just because of my curious eye. Hardly ever go into Van anymore.

I'm a few minutes away by car. I wouldn't mind checking out the MDMA for micro-dosing purposes.

Man, heroin users are getting ripped off and would save a ton of money by switching to meth.

The cheaper alternative to heroin is fentanyl, unfortunately. Meth is a stimulant, and is a cheaper and worse alternative to cocaine.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
This is objectively a good thing and I'm glad it's happening. Vancouver is on the frontlines of ending the war on drugs

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
He probably won't be. Vancouver decriminalized possession of small amounts of all drugs. Policing possession isn't a priority for the VPD
He'll be fine. Probably won't see in the inside of a cell.

There are bunch of shops that sell mushrooms, LSD, DMT and peyote in Vancouver, and not only are the owners not in jail, they're still operating!

That is great to hear! Canada for all its faults seems like quite a cool place in a lot of ways.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
While they de-criminalized possession, what about intent to distribute? Would seem to be a possible difference maker here.

The city could potentially come under pressure from the province/feds to clamp down on this specific store. However, there are quite a few stores selling magic mushrooms, peyote and other psychedelics all over the city. City of Vancouver is pretty hands-off. We have a massive overdose issue here and the need for safe supply is pretty broadly popular - in comparison to other cities/jurisdictions. In a vacuum, I think CoV would let this experiment play out

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
This would be lifesaving, and if there's a place to start in North America it's Vancouver BC.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
I try to be open minded about things I don't understand and I read the article but I going need someone to tell me in what way this helps as it doesn't seemed to be aimed at helping people to stop using. I don't get how it's supposed to stop overdoses

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
I try to be open minded about things I don't understand and I read the article but I going need someone to tell me in what way this helps as it doesn't seemed to be aimed at helping people to stop using. I don't get how it's supposed to stop overdoses

A lot of the drugs circulating in Vancouver are cut with fent. Approximately 2,300 people died of overdoses last year - covering everything from your daily opioid users to recreational party drugs users.

It's not designed to help people stop. It's designed to help people stop dying

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

you won't be having people that are going to do a drug anyways dying or needing medical care because it was cut with something else. same reason why clean needle programs are there.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA

you can't just stop all overdoses. but if someone is going to use and is at risk of ODing, they can do it in a safe use environment that is specially set up to treat an OD and assist the user through recovery. that's what a lot of people are trying to get their local governments to provide resources for in addition to decriminalizing possession and use. there's also the risk of drugs being laced with fentanyl and other deadly substances so there's demand for facilities that provide testing

65-70 for a gram here as of a month ago.

well his prices are in CAD not USD

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018

A safe supply stops overdosing from cut drugs.

Also, not everything has to always be aimed at getting folks to stop using. Getting folks to stop using is a good thing but if someone wants to use drugs, they should be able to have a safe supply.

Womble

Banned
Apr 15, 2022
I....don't understand how this works.

Where is he getting the drugs? How do the authorities not just walk in the door the second it opened?

I agree with the idea, but I don't get how he's making this work.

One things for sure though, drug enforcement agents will be all over this dude to find out where the drugs are coming in from.