Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Pretty much the entire first 6 months of 2018 is in my backlog.
But since I bought and replayed Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze for Switch... I guess that is my #1 since it's really one of the all time greatest platformers.

But still, I have about half a dozen games I want to play before I make myself a pick...

as of right now Shaq Fu would be in my top 5 because that's how many 2018 I have played so far :P

Jul 24, 2018
Strange Journey Redux, FighterZ, P5 Dancing and Mario Tennis. I have a feeling it's going to change though with the release of Hokuto, Valkyria 4 and Spider Man.

Mercenary09

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So many good games in the first half of this year. Some of my favorites are:
1. God of War (Far and away my current GOTY)
2. Moss
3. Detroit: Become Human
4. Shadow of the Colossus
5. Overcooked 2
6. The Persistence
7. Yoku's Island Express
8. Yakuza 6

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
God of War & Hollow Knight for me, with Celeste being a close third (I just have to finish it).

Nov 13, 2017
ok, you baited me. how are these games 6s and 5s.

Just my opinion. I'm not giving objective reviews. It's just, on a scale of 1-10, the enjoyment I got out of them.

For me, Celeste felt almost like playing Super Meat Boy again, and I didn't enjoy the platforming in it too much. I had to force myself to finish it, instead of being compelled to do so. It did have some great bits though, like all of the second level (the one with the water you traverse through and the really nice music), and that pretty good boss fight with Part of Me.

As for Hollow Knight, I just don't enjoy it in general. I hated being lost so often, how I had to complete long journeys back to the bosses after dying to them; I dropped it eventually because I realized I was not enjoying my time with it. I also didn't like the artstyle. Dead Cells has been good but once again I'm not compelled to play it at all, although to be fair it has only been 2-3 hours.

I'm glad I tried all these games, but they didn't really do anything for me. I'm not trying to bait, but am merely displaying my view on each of the games I've played this year.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Monster Hunter: World. I haven't played a game that avidly in a long, long time. Had like 48 hours within two and a half weeks or something like that, which is fucking CRAZY for me. Been thinking about getting back into it sometime but the magic of that first month where my whole friends list was playing and partying up probably can't be experienced again.

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
God of War and Detroit: Become Human are currently my favorites, but so far nothing this year truly blew me away. 2018 is so far turning out to be my personal weakest year in gaming.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
I guess just God of War and to some extent Detroit, which I haven't beaten.

2018 is incredibly weak for me, but that's OK - I've been using it catch up on my 2017 backlog, which is one of the GOATs.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
1. Bayonetta 1/2: 2018 was my time to experience these gems. Very few games are as good as them, especially the sequel.

2. Octopath Traveller: Addiction. The one word to describe my time with this so far. Engaging combat system surrounded by a gorgeous artsyle and deep storylines.

3. DK Tropical Freeze: this game is beautiful. As both a gamer and observant. Each level felt uniquely crafted with just the right difficulty level. A few of the bosees were hit and miss for me though.

4. Sonic Mania Plus: this would be much higher if i didn't play the original already. To put it simply, this is the best Sonic game I've played, heck maybe one of the best 2D platformers period. The refinements made in the updated version really do make it feel like a more complete experience.

Everything else has been from 2017 though. Been playing catch up because of busy work schedule and other commitments. With this in mind special shout outs go to Mario + Rabbids, Doom 2016 and Splatoon 2

Which is why everything mentioned is Switch specific, constantly travelling to work.

Edit: Just got into both Hollow Knight and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, but they are on the back burner until everything else has been completed first

Raven117

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't recall if I have responded to this (I probably have). Will do so anyway.

(1) Far Cry 5. I think this was a great game. The soundtrack was god-tier as it was written as a way to support and supplement the story. I liked the story, while there were some funny devices that didn't quite work, overall, I liked the subject matter of what Far Cry 5 was trying to discuss (instead of chastising it for what it wasn't). I just had a ton of fun with this and wanted more at the end.

(2) Monster Hunter World. I have been a fan since since MH4U. (Not a long time). This was just a joy to play with the modern conveniences. Tackling monsters with strategy, and the intense fights, all make for a terrific experience. Can't want to see where the series goes now.

(3) God of War. Unfortuantely, I played Hellblade last year. The two games are nothing alike, but there is a heavy emphasis on lore. As such, the story notes of God of War didn't hit as hard because I knew what was going on. I loved the combat and the world.

Note that these three are tightly grouped together. They are all fantastic games.

Fjordson

Oct 25, 2017
It's been sort of a down year so far for me as far as new releases. Been playing older stuff mostly, though the next few months look pretty great for new games.

The one new release that really delivered for me was Monster Hunter World. Just an amazing game overall. I haven't played it in a while at this point, but I put in a good 90 hours or so when it came out.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Most of the games I liked that I've played so far this year haven't been 2018 titles. Of those, I guess I'd rank them:

1. God of War
2. Far Cry 5
3. Detroit: Become Human
4. Shadow of the Colossus
5. MLB The Show

This year has been really blah for me so far. But the 2nd half should more than make up for it.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
  1. God of War 10/10 masterpiece,exceded my expectations,everything is top notch.My game of the generation easy.
  2. Shadow of the Colossus 10/10 the original game is one of my GOAT,this ramake don't disappointed and delivery the definitive edition.
  3. Detroit Become Human 9/10 loved the story and characters,the huge amount of branches put others games of this genre to shame,the choices here has impact not like cof cof Telltale Games/Life is Strange
  4. Hollow Knight 9/10 maybe the best 8$ I spent in a game,I would paid way more,this game is for sure one of my all time indie games now.
  5. Dark Souls Remastered 9/10 I never played Dark Souls series,I started this year with this game and I am not disappointed,still a great game,outdated but the level design and gameplay still great.

Animagne

Oct 27, 2017
I love Monster Hunter World. I thought that I'd keep playing it throughout the year, but competitive multiplayer games occupied most of my year (Hearthstone, Fortnite, MtG Arena). But when I had some time to pick it back up for some post-game hunts, I immediately got back into the gameplay loop and had a blast. It's rare that for a single player game I could put in so many hours (especially after story is done) and would not get bored.

Ashler

Oct 27, 2017
1) Hollow Knight
2) Dark Souls Remastered
3) Shadow of the Colossus
4) God of War

Can't wait to play Dead Cells and Octopath Traveler!

Oct 28, 2017
1. God of War: nothing to add, just GOTY
2. Dark Souls Remastered: The last Dark Souls I had to play, and definitely the best, the Dark Souls I've played the most and the first I get the platinum.
3. Octopath Traveler: As a player that sucks at turn based combat I got a really good run with this game, now I'll consider future games that have turn based combat.

Games that are on my pending list to buy/play: Hollow Knight, Celeste, Shadow of the Colossus (I'm tempted to buy it as it's 16€ on PSN right now)

newgamewhodis

Oct 28, 2017
Brooklyn
Here's all my 8 and aboves from 2018 so far:

The Awesome Adventures of Captain Spirit - 9
Ghost of a Tale - 8.5
0N0W - 8.5
Mirror Drop - 8.5
FAR: Lone Sails - 8
Subnautica - 8
Minit - 8
Forgotton Anne - 8

Still have to play Celeste, Frostpunk, and Legendary Gary. They all look great though.

It has been a slow year, mostly in contrast to last year which was one of the best years in gaming in a while.

Last edited:

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Probably Celeste for me right now. It's sticking with me better than God of War did, which is the other major new release I've played.

HorseFD

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne
I've missed out on a few of the big games this year by focussing most of my attention on the Switch. So far:

1. Hollow Knight (Switch release)
2. Octopath Traveler
3. Celeste

I'm looking forward to playing Monster Hunter World and God of War at some point later in the year.

Hollow Knight has quickly become one of my favourites of all time, and possibly my favourite in the genre.

Edit: Forgot to add, I've just started playing La-Mulana 2, and it's looking like a strong contender for an end of the year list.

Last edited:

Stoof

Oct 25, 2017
Too fucking many

1. Celeste - Still my number one, I did not expect to fall in love with this game like I did
2. Hollow Knight - cranked out 40 hours of this in two weeks, I was not expecting to get so engrossed
3. Octopath Traveler - Everything I wanted from a classic style JRPG
4. DKC: Tropical Freeze - I didn't play my Wii U copy for some reason but I picked it up on Switch and can say this is my favorite DKC game ever
5. Iconoclasts - Very good surprise from the past week!
6. Monster Hunter World - I enjoyed my time with the game but it didn't grab me like past entries. I do think most of the changes are good for the series.

?. Bayonetta 1 - A replay but this game still so good. I need to get on Bayo 2.

I haven't played God of War yet but it's been a very good year for my Switch.

Last edited:

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I haven't played many games this year (and I've only picked up stuff on Switch) but I liked the following:
  1. Bayonetta 1&2 - Enjoyed them as much as when I first played them, which is very much. Especially in regards to Bayo 2. 10/10
  2. Celeste - One of the best 2D platformers I've ever played. The challenge is super satisfying and it's really easy to jump back in when you die because everything loads up so quickly. The story being good helps too. 9/10.
  3. Hollow Knight - It feels great to play and I really like the aesthetic/music. However, its less linear exploration structure can get in the way when you don't have all of your abilities, and sometimes the game's difficulty doesn't feel entirely genuine. 8/10
I can't really put Octopath Traveler up here yet because I haven't played through much of it yet, but I've really enjoyed what little I've played so far. Haven't really played Mario Tennis yet either but I do intend on getting into it at some point.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The three best games I've played so far this year were ports of games released in previous years.

Hollow Knight
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Bayonetta 2

Needless to say, I have not been impressed with 2018 so far, outside of Celeste and to a lesser extent, Monster Hunter World.

Though I have yet to play Octopath Traveler.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
It's been a great year for me so far, my favorite games including ports/remakes:

1. God of War by far it's the best game this year and this gen for me.
2. Monster Hunter World.
3. Shadow of the Colossus.
4. Hollow Knight.
5. Bayonetta 1.
6. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
7. Celeste.

recyclops

Jan 26, 2018
My favorite games so far are God of War, Moonlighter, Chasm, Crossing Souls and Adventure Pals.

bshock

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
2018 has been an extremely weak year for me. The only game I'd even consider worthy on a list so far would be Detroit Become Human, which was quite captivating.

Steve McQueen

Nov 1, 2017
Netherlands
Celeste on Switch is my favourite game so far.
Even talking about it makes me want to play it.
May be one of my favourite games ever and the OST is really fantastic.

Switch
Celeste
Inside (replayed it on Switch, still fantastic)
Night in the Woods
Owlboy

PS4
God of War
Detroit

Xbox
OnRush

Still have to finish Dead Cells and Hollow Knight.

zenspider

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
(chronological order)

1. Splatoon 2 I don't care if it launched last year, I'm counting it. Amazing support, great new maps, meta-changing weapons with unique playstyles, and fantastic DLC.
  2. God of War I never cared one iota about this series, but I couldn't ignore all the positive previews. While I don't think this game is a masterpiece on the level of Bloodborne, or even BotW, I enjoyed the first 2/3rds as much as anything in the "AAA" space as I can remember. Amazing combat, initally rewarding exploration, and smarter, braver storytelling than I expect from the AAA space.
  3. Mario Tennis Aces I know, I know, and I don't care. Online doubles is the most fun I've had gaming with my S.O.
  4. Hollow Knight Good lordy! There's nothing I can say that already hasn't been said. Metroidvania is, as a genre, not my favorite, but when done right, is a genre a number of my favorite gaming experiences. Hollow Knight has topped the all.
  5. Octopath Traveler My excitement for this title had been thoroughly tempered by the fact I have not finished more than 2 JRPGs in the last decade. I considered a purchase out of solidarity - I want these kind of games to succeed and fans of a genre I've loved to get them. The 2nd demo convinced me I could likely get enough time out of it to justify a purchase, and now I'm 60 hours in and playing it's all I want to be doing (and often can thanks to Switch). A lot of games have traded in nostalgia, but nothing has cashed in as well for me as OT. It's the perfect meld of looking back and forward. I love the world, the characters, and the loops. I thought people saying it would be thier GOTY were delusional, at least narrow in thier tastes, but here I am too. If it does best out Hollow Knight, it's because of the OST.

GOTY (so far): Hollow Knight

opalheart

Apr 5, 2018
I've been mostly playing through my backlog this year, so I've only dipped into a few new releases. However these 3 are still some of my favorites.

boxart_final3_preview.0.png

Celeste

In my opinion, this is the absolute best in the genre of uber-hard but not punishing 2D platformers. The reasons range from the clever level gimmicks that don't overstay their welcome, the movement mechanics that slowly have deeper intricacies unveiled as you play, but most of all - the way the story interacts with the gameplay. There are actually 3 mountains in this game. Firstly, the physical Celeste Mountain that Madeline chooses to scale; second, Madeline's anxieties and the realization she must come to regarding them; and third, the "mountain" of difficulty the player has to overcome. All of these feed into each other, and as Madeline climbs her mountains the game encourages the player to climb theirs. It works. It feels authentic, and by the end of the game I felt I had truly achieved something despite all the hardships thrown at me.

D2m2%2Fu.png

Secret Little Haven

I'm an absolute sucker for games that take place in fictional OS. I find them some of the most immersive experiences out there. SLH of course does this really well; it showcases a rose-tinted version of a late 90s PC interface and submerges you into the Internet culture of the time. The game is a kind of visual novel taking place mostly in an instant messenger, where you are given several choices of replies to the different characters. You play as Alex, who is a young trans girl but doesn't know it yet. The narrative revolves around her discovery of herself with the help of her realistically portrayed online friends, each one of whom reminds me of someone I've known at one point or another. The story truly resonated with me and elevated this into more than just a game. It caused me to reflect on myself and my experience of being transgender. I'd recommend the game to anyone who likes a relatively short, but dense and emotional story.

article_octoexpansion_2018-03-08_large.jpg

Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion

This single player DLC catapulted Splatoon 2 from a harmless fun multiplayer game that might've been a little too similar to the first entry, into now one of my top games of all time. The aesthetic and atmosphere of Octo Expansion's underground world are unlike any game I've played before, even compared to the rest of Splatoon, a series with an already unique presentation. The story gave us a much deeper look into some really cool characters we've already met, while introducing lovingly weird new ones. There are over 80 hard, to-the-point challenges some of which really kicked my ass, and I loved that. It all leads up to the final stretch of your journey where the smart level design and interesting setpieces shine the most. Long story short, it was fantastic and now I can't wait to see more from this franchise.

Last edited:

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
God of War stands out so far. I really liked Vampyr too,Shadow of the Colossus was amazing,but it's a remaster so it doesnt count :P

Want to try soon Detroit Human and sometime Monster Hunter World in the next months/year

Cybersai

Banned
Jan 8, 2018
I only bought three games this entire year, Kirby Star Allies, Wario Ware Gold, and God of War.

Not a great year so far, even though God of War was great. lol

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017
atm for me its between 3 games (haven't really determined which I like more yet)

God of War
Celeste
Warioware Gold

Pretty good variety in those 3 at least!

Rathorial

Oct 28, 2017
Really haven't picked up much this year, just not a lot interested me, but I did some backlog clearing.

So far best in 2018:
  1. God of War
  2. Dead Cells
  3. Slay the Spire
  4. Oxygen Not Included
  5. They Are Billions
Monster Hunter World this Thursday on PC will more than likely join the list.

Best games from last year or earlier I caught up on:
  1. Heat Signature
  2. A Hat in Time
  3. The Sexy Brutale
  4. Watch Dogs 2
  5. Witcher 3 expansions
  6. Planet Coaster

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology was excellent. And probably the only 2018 game I've played so far.

jb1234

Very low key
Oct 25, 2017
Celeste is my current GotY. GoW is a close second. I also very much enjoyed Yoku's Island Express. Everything else I've played this year hasn't left a lasting impression (even if they were fun at the time).

(Honorable mention is Hollow Knight, which was 2017's GotY. I replayed it this year on the Switch and enjoyed it just as much.)