Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Used to be one of my favourite movies as a kid, I probably haven't seen it in over a decade though. Should rewatch it and see how it holds up.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
latest

KIMBLE!

This bit in Scrubs riffing on Flynn's extra past was amazing.

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
I don't know about The Hunted, but U.S. Marshals IS a sequel to the fugitive. Tommy Lee Jones plays the same character, Sam Gerard. Joe Pantoliano plays the same character too but I can't remember the name.

Huh I never realised that US Marshals is a sequel, I just thought Tommy Lee Jones played a similar character.

If thats not a sign that I need to rewatch them, then I dont know what is.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great movie. The cast is perfect.
What's funny is comparing this thread with any one about Avatar, where people are currently insisting that Avatar was a cultural event but no one remembers a damn thing about it. Whereas here, as soon as you mention it everyone knows every goddamn line. Now THAT'S a cultural touchstone!
Holy fuck, that's amazing.
I know nostalgia and rose colored glasses and everything, but seriously. They literally do NOT make movies like this any more.

Everything is just superhero garbage.
You should watch more movies. While they don't make movies like this, there is so much more than "superhero garbage" out there. Check out Eighth Grade, Leave No Trace, You Were Never Really There, etc.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Movie has urgency. The soundtrack is tense as fuck. Every time I hear the melody complete I feel like shit is about to happen.

The Fugitive was amazing when I was 8. I watched it last year and said, yeah, this is a good movie. It's not a story for the ages, but a damn good ride. It knows what it is and it executes really well, and apologetically so.

An aside, people that enjoyed this should watch Breakdown. I just came across it steaming and it's an incredibly underrated 'ride' type film.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
While they don't make movies like this, there is so much more than "superhero garbage" out there. Check out Eighth Grade, Leave No Trace, You Were Never Really There, etc.
Maybe the latter counts but I'm mostly referring to action-adventure-thriller type films, like The Fugitive, Speed, The River Wild, Air Force One, The Game, Enemy of the State, even Demolition Man... the list goes on...

They were all original/fresh cinematic stories (well, Fugitive technically adapts a 60s TV show, but it's still a fresh cinematic experience) with moments of great acting and directing... nowadays it just feels like everything is this hyperrealistic CGI warfare-style spectacle.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe one of the best movies made from a TV series? Which was also based on Sam Sheppherd.

Iconic, I always wondered what happened to Kimble after this happened. Doesn't seem like you could just go back to your normal life after this
Well he was rich. Probably enjoying retirement in a cabin in the woods somewhere
Well I mean his wife is still dead so it's not like he's happy I bet. I dunno, just think it'd be interesting to explore. Too bad Harrison wasn't interested in a sequel
I prefer to pretend he became a pro-wrestler as the inspiration for the character did.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
The Fugitive might well be my favourite movie, and US Marshalls is no slouch either (it's a huge shame that one has never been released on Blu Ray in Europe). For anyone that enjoyed those two I'd also recommend Enemy of the State which is pretty much the same sort of movie but starring Will Smith and Gene Hackman.

Thinking back on it, that style of "cheesy but so good" action movie doesn't seem to exist any more - Last Action Hero, The Rock, Demolition Man, Air Force One, Con Air etc. - feels like it died in the 00s.

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
Great movie. Probably 15-20 years since I watched it last, maybe time for a re-watch?

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe the latter counts but I'm mostly referring to action-adventure-thriller type films, like The Fugitive, Speed, The River Wild, Air Force One, The Game, Enemy of the State, even Demolition Man... the list goes on...

They were all original/fresh cinematic stories (well, Fugitive technically adapts a 60s TV show, but it's still a fresh cinematic experience) with moments of great acting and directing... nowadays it just feels like everything is this hyperrealistic CGI warfare-style spectacle.
Okay, I see. Thought it was the usual "they don't make good movies anymore, only superhero stuff" that we hear all the time here.
I think this kind of thing is more on TV now.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Fugitive might well be my favourite movie, and US Marshalls is no slouch either (it's a huge shame that one has never been released on Blu Ray in Europe). For anyone that enjoyed those two I'd also recommend Enemy of the State which is pretty much the same sort of movie but starring Will Smith and Gene Hackman.

Thinking back on it, that style of "cheesy but so good" action movie doesn't seem to exist any more - Last Action Hero, The Rock, Demolition Man, Air Force One, Con Air etc. - feels like it died in the 00s.
There are 8 Fast and Furious movies.

Nov 2, 2017
Huh I never realised that US Marshals is a sequel, I just thought Tommy Lee Jones played a similar character.

If thats not a sign that I need to rewatch them, then I dont know what is.
Not sure if it was an officially proposed plan or just an idea shared by an actor, etc., during an interview but I remember reading that US Marshals could possibly be the first of many "fugitive of the month" movies with Gerard hunting down a new fugitive with each subsequent movie. I suppose it didn't quite go that way. Love The Fugitive and US Marshals though.

I know they had a TV show reboot several years ago; wouldn't mind seeing another attempt based on a continuous hunt for "Kimble" or a fugitive of the month.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

Enemy of the State is pretty much next in line for great thrillers like this. Gene Hackman is so very good in it.

Travo

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
Heh, never liked Enemy of the State that much. I went to the theater to see it but only cause it had the Episode 1 trailer attached it.

#1 defender

Oct 27, 2017
Great movie. I still remember the first time i saw it on TV as a kid. It was on at 8 p.m. and it was such a great ride that i watched the rerun at midnight. And then i caught another rerun the next day. XD I must have seen it a dozen times over the years. Got the Blu-ray a couple of years ago and it still holds up really well.

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
Top movie

I have the dvd but still watch the FTA broadcast every time its on. Or I'll put the dvd on at the same time to skip the commercials.