• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Smash easily deserves GOTY over any game this year. it's not even close but it will probably not even get a nomination.

OP
OP
Empyrean Cocytus

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Fire Emblem getting a GOTY nomination would be great. Having Disco Elysium be the first indie game to win GOTY would also be great.

You know what would be even better? Seeing the Smash community go absolutely ballistic if Fire Emblem gets a GOTY nomination, and Smash Ultimate gets snubbed.

Gonna make a hot take here.

No Nintendo-published games (or in fact, any games available on Switch) will be nominated for GOTY.

FE Three Houses and Smash will both get genre award nominations, and will lose to The Outer Worlds and Mortal Kombat Xi respectively.

Last edited:

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Resident Evil 2
Sekiro
The Outer Worlds
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Death Stranding

are the five nominees I predict.

Yeah I think these are the likely noms for GOTY except replace Fire Emblem with something like Star Wars or DMC or something. I don't think they will nominate Fire Emblem it's still too "anime" and niche for TGAs.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Ah yes, just according to plan, Valve will reveal and simultaneously release Half Life VR on 11/19, the anniversary of Half Life, just in time for a Game Awards nomination.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
Death Stranding
Sekiro
Resident Evil 2

Those are the only 3 that are definite. Everything else could be anything, really. There's Outer Worlds, Apex, DMC5, Disco Elysium, etc

Last edited:

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna make a hot take here.

No Nintendo-published games (or in fact, any games available on Switch) will be nominated for GOTY.

FE Three Houses and Smash will both get genre award nominations, and will lose to The Outer Worlds and Mortal Kombat Xi respectively.
If Smash has a reveal for the Game Awards.

I can't see it not winning.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
I wonder, where are the nominations coming from?

Is it always the same jury? Do we know that?

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
My current order:
1. Death Stranding
2. Sekiro
3. RE2

I honestly can't believe it.. I was not expecting Death Stranding to come out on top for me. Albiet it's still subject to change for me as I'm not done the game yet.

May 5, 2018
Yeah I think these are the likely noms for GOTY except replace Fire Emblem with something like Star Wars or DMC or something. I don't think they will nominate Fire Emblem it's still too "anime" and niche for TGAs.
Remember Persona 5 got nominated for GOTY in 2017 and wouldn't that also count as a "niche anime" game too? Anything is possible.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Smash easily deserves GOTY over any game this year. it's not even close but it will probably not even get a nomination.
for a game that's basically "Video Games: The Game" it's somewhat disappointing that Smash doesn't get as much GOTY awards in the west as it deserves. Smash Ultimate is honestly my game of the decade. It really deserves a win.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
for a game that's basically "Video Games: The Game" it's somewhat disappointing that Smash doesn't get as much GOTY awards in the west as it deserves. Smash Ultimate is honestly my game of the decade. It really deserves a win.
this would be the year to give it a win honestly. no big AAA story game that people unanimously love.. just give it to smash.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Days-Gone-Vest.jpg

I hope my boy Deacon gets some love. Absolutely loved that game and pre-release footage and post release reviews told me I wouldn't. Glad I took a risk.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I get it though. You like it or you don't. I'm glad you guys consider it the second coming of jesus, however for me, as someone who does not like competitive gaming or fighting games, it's not interesting at all. Game Awards are voted by media, and i'm guessing there will be a lot who will not vote for Smash. I do believe they will get nominated for GOTY though. It's simply too popular.

this would be the year to give it a win honestly. no big AAA story game that people unanimously love.. just give it to smash.

Give it? It's voted by like 100 media outlets. Sekiro / Resi 2 got good scores everywhere.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get it though. You like it or you don't. I'm glad you guys consider it the second coming of jesus, however for me, as someone who does not like competitive gaming or fighting games, it's not interesting at all. Game Awards are voted by media, and i'm guessing there will be a lot who will not vote for Smash. I do believe they will get nominated for GOTY though. It's simply too popular.

there's so many other games that can be billed as "you like it or you don't", though. Fighting games in general have always had a helluva hard time winning GOTY awards. Even if you personally don't like it (which is fine!) I have to agree with the dude I originalyl quoted in that there really hasn't been another game that came out this year that's been as universally beloved across most gaming sub-communities as Smash Ultimate. Personally, my GOTY is Death Stranding. Usually my personal GOTY doesn't match up with whatever game wins the most GOTY awards anyways. That all being said, I really think that this Smash deserves a nomination moreso than any other game. Even the ones I personally enjoyed the most. Especially with all the crazy DLC fighters.

That's just my two cents though. I feel your comment about me considering the game to be the second coming of Jesus a bit unnecessary, though. Everyone knows that 1993's Cool Spot was the second coming. If anything Smash would be the third.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
New categories this year:
- Best Strand Game
- Best Connection Game
- Best Game from a new developer that once worked in a notorious japanese software house
- Best game with babies and cetaceans
- Most celebrity cameos in a game
- Special DHL Award

VFX_Veteran

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Best graphics should go to SW:JF (i.e. SW:1313). And that's despite the ray-tracing featured games like Control, Metro and BF:V. Control should win best tech though.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
One of the few exceptions to the rule and, even then, it couldn't win the majority of GotY awards the year it came out. It's not exactly controversial to say that AAA cinematic / narrative heavy single player games are by and large favored for GotY awards over other games

Yeah but Overwatch showed it's not a rule set in stone and Smash is at least as 'exceptional' as Overwatch.

ANd We know for a fact Smash has been winning awards- Sakurai showed us in the last stream.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
New categories this year:
- Best Strand Game
- Best Connection Game
- Best Game from a new developer that once worked in a notorious japanese software house
- Best game with babies and cetaceans
- Most celebrity cameos in a game
- Special DHL Award
Game of the Year: DEATH Stranding.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'll watch for any Sony news and interesting multi platform trailers. Outside of hoping The Walking Dead final season gets nominated for something, I don't care about the awards overall this year. Next year is when I'll put my vote down 🧟‍♂️🧱

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah but Overwatch showed it's not a rule set in stone and Smash is at least as 'exceptional' as Overwatch.

ANd We know for a fact Smash has been winning awards- Sakurai showed us in the last stream.
Well of course it's not a rule set in stone. It just shows us that it's possible for a multiplayer focused game to win the award. But that's really it. Possible. Still unlikely compared to other types of games

Now that is true. Smash will definitely some awards, just less than it otherwise would have had it come out at a different time in the year

Oct 27, 2017
Although my personal favorite fighting game this year was MK11, I'd be totally okay with Smash Ultimate getting Fighting Game of the Year. That game gets so much right so it'd be nice to see it get some awards love since it wasn't eligible last year.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
What exactly do you expect Outer Wilds to win?

So you didn't ask me but I'll answer anyway...

For me Outer Wilds is my GotY (unless Control/SWJFO really, really impress me)

Game of the Year - I think whether this gets nominated will be indicative of whether there is an indie quota of a sort. I don't think this is a year where there are a lot of utterly brilliant games, rather a lot of very good games. I think there's usually a fairly obvious major issue with all of the big AAA games (bar Sekiro) and I think that ought to allow something like Outer Wilds a chance.

Best Independent Game - It will surely be nominated and feels like it will be in a fight with Disco Elysium
Best Debut Indie Game - Same as Best Independent Game
Best Student Game - Presumably it doesn't count but it was begun as a student project
Best Action/Adventure Game - It's an adventure game in the purest sense and it is exceptional on that front
Best Narrative - There is something really special about how this game evolves its story and the mechanisms by which it does so. It unfolds naturally and non-linearly as you uncover the mystery, it keeps delivering surprises right to the absolutely incredible end

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
At least if Smash doesn't score a single nomination we can definitively call December a dead month for these awards