• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
Back on the... other site, I created the OT for TGC 2. We had a good number of people who liked the game, so with the forthcoming release of TGC 3 (titled/marketed as TGC 2019) I thought I'd make a thread to talk about the game and share updates from the dev team.

Official site - http://www.thegolfclub2019.com/

-2 new game modes (Skins and Alt-Shot). We can bet our virtual currency on Skins matches!
-New options and props for course creators as well as simplified design tools. SpeedTree technology integration.
-Career Mode is supposed to be more robust (though they have been saying the same thing since patching it in the first game) as well as a more detailed character editor.
-Online Societies are back with new features including the ability to assign admins to help manage/control different aspects of societies (think "officers" for guilds in MMOs but on a smaller scale). Setting entry requirements for events has been added.
-Swing mechanics have been adjusted and tuned, as with the last iteration. More info at the link above.
-It seems the devs are putting an emphasis on Online Matchmaking and Private Session Play. Currently, this seems to only work on official and approved courses. Let's hope the "approved" course offering is large and constantly updated.

98MYIkL.png

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Still really disappointing visually. Stuff was forgivable when I got this on early access in 2014, but not so after two iterations under HB's belt. Looks to be running on the same creaky engine that regularly chugged under 60fps on a high end rig. Course assets in particular look threadbare and featureless.

But hey, at least we have "licensed apparel" now /s

OP
OP
gilko79

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
Server issues aside, I was pretty happy overall with the way it performed on the Pro. Gotta agree about the visuals... I was hoping for a bigger leap this time around. Then again, the last game only came out a year ago. Kinda surprised they are putting out another so soon.

depward

Oct 29, 2017
Wait, they're releasing a THIRD game already? I bought the first and thought yeah this is a decent go at it... purchased the second one hesitantly and from what I can see there was like ZERO support from these folks. No updating of courses when logging in. I was so incredibly disappointed. I'm not going to purchase a third iteration of a game that has very little upgrades to it from what I'm hearing.

OP
OP
gilko79

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
The new game will feature an officially licensed PGA Tour career mode. Q School, Web.com Tour, PGA Tour, and FedEx Cup standings. Official courses, too. More in the video below.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The new game will feature an officially licensed PGA Tour career mode. Q School, Web.com Tour, PGA Tour, and FedEx Cup standings. Official courses, too. More in the video below.

That's pretty huge to get the official PGA stamp. Career mode has always been a neglected part of the game so here's hoping this will finally be fun and challenging. Speaking of challenge I wonder what they are going to do to make the game harder. TGCTours does a bang up job at creating weekly events but the scores are pretty ridiculous. -40 or lower is not uncommon for a 4 round event. Yes they have various tiers but it needs to be improved (again).

OP
OP
gilko79

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
Some more tidbits:

Through a licensing agreement with Canadian developer HB Studios, the career mode in "The Golf Club 2019" takes a player on an authentic journey through Q-School, the Web.com Tour and a 32-tournament PGA TOUR season, including the FedExCup Playoffs, to become the FedExCup Champion. As players progress and complete challenges, they will attract sponsors who will offer rewards for continued success.
Launching in August, "The Golf Club 2019" will feature six precise replicas of renowned TPC courses: Summerlin, Scottsdale, Sawgrass, Southwind, Deere Run and Boston. The PGA TOUR and HB Studios will continue to support the golf videogame community into the future by adding authentic tournament courses and ensuring the best possible play experience for fans of the sport.

Source - http://www.hb-studios.com/forum/index.php/topic,23605.0.html

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait, they're releasing a THIRD game already? I bought the first and thought yeah this is a decent go at it... purchased the second one hesitantly and from what I can see there was like ZERO support from these folks. No updating of courses when logging in. I was so incredibly disappointed. I'm not going to purchase a third iteration of a game that has very little upgrades to it from what I'm hearing.

I think they were having some legal issues and now have full control moving forward. Looks like this is coming sooner than expected, August!

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Whoa, I thought EA had exclusivity locked down?? This is awesome, if only from a standpoint of less chokeholds on properties.

Still had no idea a 3rd entry was in the works so soon, never had a chance to try 2. Was really hoping for massive performance gains, but it sounds like that's not really the case.

TeeWhy

Oct 27, 2017
They really needed to invest more in gameplay development than licenses. This is not going to go well.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Whoa, I thought EA had exclusivity locked down?? This is awesome, if only from a standpoint of less chokeholds on properties.

Still had no idea a 3rd entry was in the works so soon, never had a chance to try 2. Was really hoping for massive performance gains, but it sounds like that's not really the case.

Seems like EA gave up the PGA license. Possibly new thread worthy?

The PGA Tour's licensing director Matt Iofredo told GolfChannel.com that the tour enjoyed a "long-term successful partnership" with EA, adding that the split was amicable. He told the site that video games are a good way to help grow golf as a sport, and that's why he's happy to see the PGA Tour's licensing deal go to a new company.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-loses-pga-tour-license-for-golf-games-new-compa/1100-6459111/

Luschient

Oct 30, 2017
Any hype for this game? I didn't know it was even a thing until I saw it randomly in the MS presentation.

I loved GC1 (even with the hiccups it had) and it will be great to have official PGA courses/players now in the new version.

stumblebee

The Fallen
Jan 22, 2018
You know, I'm really happy to see Golf Club work out for these guys. It's the best name for a golf game there's ever been and good golf games are always a good thing.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone tell me why golf games on consoles like Golf Club or TW are never 60 fps?

Isn't Madden and NHL? Anyways this game kind of had a weird launch. They always promised August so they were right but it seems like a strange way to just release the game with no warning. Prices went up but it's one of the few games I don't care because of how many hours I put into it. TGC Tours website is absolutely essential to this game. they do a fantastic job setting up tourneys every week. Downloading now on Steam.

Chris Davies

Oct 30, 2017
Released yesterday, really disappointed with it.

Posted this review on the TGC forums (very long, don't feel like it'll be there for very long before it gets deleted)...

--------------------

Hey guys.

I'm an avid golf gamer, from the days of good old Links to now. But nobody wants to hear a year of backstory...

I felt inspired to post because I'm not seeing my personal viewpoint represented by anybody else, and I'd like to give my feedback so it can (hopefully) be taken into serious consideration by the developers (who, unlike other devs, seem to actually read and respond to their community's thoughts).

Coming from any other modern sports game in the same price bracket to this (and I'm not exclusively talking about big EA games - the most recent example I can think of is F1 2018), I've got to be honest here. It's a pretty nasty shock.

With the absolute greatest of respect, in comparison to every other console sports game I've played, this feels like an "early access" title. Great gameplay or otherwise, I feel thoroughly ripped off given the price.

1) In the first round I played (Web.com tour on a TPC course), my introduction to the game - I couldn't get over just how bad the graphics are for a game I've just forked over ÂŁ45 for.

Yes, lighting has improved, and from some very select angles you see something that would make a good screenshot. But the majority of the time it just isn't very good. These are just a few examples of what I mean...

After every shot, during the ball flight, there's a massive (and impossible to ignore) hitch in the frame-rate that's been there since game one. Watching streams of the game before it launched, this stuck out like a sore thumb.

There are some buildings in the backdrop that just look like giant white cubes - and this is on an official course. Your eye can't help but be drawn to them, the models are so poor. There's no finesse or photorealism to them whatsoever.

But worst of all, this is LITERALLY how bushes are put together and how they appear at close range - in a game from 2018, running on a PS4 Pro:

yN4CrD7.jpg

Again, I'm not exaggerating or being nasty here, bushes are literally just a few pieces of flat textures shoved together in an asterisk-style shape. That wobble in the wind.

Even the golf ball has a halo around it like you've developed glaucoma whilst playing - and I'm sure turning off "bloom" fixes it but if that's your response, you're missing my point entirely (same if you say "it's a small team").

The package, in terms of graphical complexity, just screams "indie", but the price isn't indie - and this isn't game one, it's game three. You can't produce something so far behind the visual authenticity of the Rory golf games and charge the same price for it - not without guys like me feeling thoroughly short-changed, anyway.

Not that it matters now... You've got my money. Speaking of which; I was one of the guys who said I'd pay for DLC courses with them being official and scanned for accuracy - but let me tell you, there's absolutely no way I would now. They look and feel no different to community courses in my eyes.

2) I've been praying for a career mode. I don't care that it's unlicensed (i.e. all fake names) - even though it seems insane that a PGA license doesn't grant you permission to use PGA player names - but after I've sat for 6-7 hours and painstakingly recreated the competitors from the real tour, why can't I share this work with others?

If we can share courses, why can't we share golfers? If there's a licensing reason behind this (i.e. PGA wouldn't allow it), what is the point in the license, other than for the licensed courses which - again, I've got to be frank - look and feel no different to the community courses, as far as I'm concerned?

This isn't even my biggest bugbear - nor the fact that I don't think we can alter player abilities (so if I insert e.g. Tiger Woods, I can't make him any better or worse than any other player - let alone make his short game or long game any different to any other player like you can in Links)...

But I have to appear on the leaderboards etc. as my gamertag? You've gone all-in on licenses and "authenticity", then when you look at the scores (after every single hole) you've got - "B. Barker, N. Davies, G0LFER4LYFE84, T. Thomas"?

3) Gameplay. Yes, it's the best gameplay out there (and it's why I play the game). But I would argue this in no way represents a significant upgrade (and not one worth a whole new game and a price increase).

My first round, on the hardest club settings, I finished +2. It feels - and okay, I'm making a prediction here rather than stating a fact - like I'm going to be shooting silly scores in no time at all.

It feels like the only thing that makes the game challenging* is ridiculous wind conditions, or wedge shots that roll for days - hence why setting the PGA Tour difficulty to "very hard" just sets every fairway and green to very firm / fast.

If the only way you can make the game challenging is to essentially cheat you by making you play golf on an ice rink... It's not a great simulation, surely?

(*Or alternatively, removing green grids etc., which I personally think is madness - you're looking at a flat image, you need assistance to see breaks.)

I've not joined a society yet so I dread to think of the kinds of low scores people are already posting - yet it seems like the attitude towards this is that "it doesn't affect you so why do you care". Can we even lock societies to just the hardest clubs yet? To make it as realistic as possible, and as fair as possible?

If you're playing in a society / tournament where every round you've got someone hitting scores not even the pros can manage... It's just not golf, is it? It's super-robo-impossible golf. You expect that of Mario Golf, and EA's golf games too (because realism was never their biggest aim). But I thought TGC was supposed to be different.

Overall...

I just really cannot accept that this is a big enough change from TGC2, in any area (including gameplay), to NOT ONLY be an entirely new edition, but to be a FULL-PRICE TITLE. Sorry, but it's not in the same league as any other console sports title that costs this much money.

If the price increase is to pay for the PGA branding, I'm sorry, but it's absolutely 100% not worth it in my eyes, given what little it's added to the product (official courses that I don't think are any different to the others, and a career mode that, although much appreciated, would be just the same without the branding).

I'm hoping for lots of patches that upgrade things but if this entry constitutes a new release, I can't see there being any development that won't just become TGC 2020. But I won't be buying it based on my experience here.

All of this is absolute genuine feedback - if I was a troll, I would have posted a couple of lines and a few insults. I hope it's taken in the spirit in which it is intended (constructive criticism, from a disappointed gamer).

Last edited:

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Released yesterday, really disappointed with it.

Posted this review on the TGC forums (very long, don't feel like it'll be there for very long before it gets deleted)...

--------------------

Hey guys.

I'm an avid golf gamer, from the days of good old Links to now. But nobody wants to hear a year of backstory...

I felt inspired to post because I'm not seeing my personal viewpoint represented by anybody else, and I'd like to give my feedback so it can (hopefully) be taken into serious consideration by the developers (who, unlike other devs, seem to actually read and respond to their community's thoughts).

Coming from any other modern sports game in the same price bracket to this (and I'm not exclusively talking about big EA games - the most recent example I can think of is F1 2018), I've got to be honest here. It's a pretty nasty shock.

With the absolute greatest of respect, in comparison to every other console sports game I've played, this feels like an "early access" title. Great gameplay or otherwise, I feel thoroughly ripped off given the price.

1) In the first round I played (Web.com tour on a TPC course), my introduction to the game - I couldn't get over just how bad the graphics are for a game I've just forked over ÂŁ45 for.

Yes, lighting has improved, and from some very select angles you see something that would make a good screenshot. But the majority of the time it just isn't very good. These are just a few examples of what I mean...

After every shot, during the ball flight, there's a massive (and impossible to ignore) hitch in the frame-rate that's been there since game one. Watching streams of the game before it launched, this stuck out like a sore thumb.

There are some buildings in the backdrop that just look like giant white cubes - and this is on an official course. Your eye can't help but be drawn to them, the models are so poor. There's no finesse or photorealism to them whatsoever.

But worst of all, this is LITERALLY how bushes are put together and how they appear at close range - in a game from 2018, running on a PS4 Pro:

yN4CrD7.jpg

Again, I'm not exaggerating or being nasty here, bushes are literally just a few pieces of flat textures shoved together in an asterisk-style shape. That wobble in the wind.

Even the golf ball has a halo around it like you've developed glaucoma whilst playing - and I'm sure turning off "bloom" fixes it but if that's your response, you're missing my point entirely (same if you say "it's a small team").

The package, in terms of graphical complexity, just screams "indie", but the price isn't indie - and this isn't game one, it's game three. You can't produce something so far behind the visual authenticity of the Rory golf games and charge the same price for it - not without guys like me feeling thoroughly short-changed, anyway.

Not that it matters now... You've got my money. Speaking of which; I was one of the guys who said I'd pay for DLC courses with them being official and scanned for accuracy - but let me tell you, there's absolutely no way I would now. They look and feel no different to community courses in my eyes.

2) I've been praying for a career mode. I don't care that it's unlicensed (i.e. all fake names) - even though it seems insane that a PGA license doesn't grant you permission to use PGA player names - but after I've sat for 6-7 hours and painstakingly recreated the competitors from the real tour, why can't I share this work with others?

If we can share courses, why can't we share golfers? If there's a licensing reason behind this (i.e. PGA wouldn't allow it), what is the point in the license, other than for the licensed courses which - again, I've got to be frank - look and feel no different to the community courses, as far as I'm concerned?

This isn't even my biggest bugbear - nor the fact that I don't think we can alter player abilities (so if I insert e.g. Tiger Woods, I can't make him any better or worse than any other player - let alone make his short game or long game any different to any other player like you can in Links)...

But I have to appear on the leaderboards etc. as my gamertag? You've gone all-in on licenses and "authenticity", then when you look at the scores (after every single hole) you've got - "B. Barker, N. Davies, G0LFER4LYFE84, T. Thomas"?

3) Gameplay. Yes, it's the best gameplay out there (and it's why I play the game). But I would argue this in no way represents a significant upgrade (and not one worth a whole new game and a price increase).

My first round, on the hardest club settings, I finished +2. It feels - and okay, I'm making a prediction here rather than stating a fact - like I'm going to be shooting silly scores in no time at all.

It feels like the only thing that makes the game challenging* is ridiculous wind conditions, or wedge shots that roll for days - hence why setting the PGA Tour difficulty to "very hard" just sets every fairway and green to very firm / fast.

If the only way you can make the game challenging is to essentially cheat you by making you play golf on an ice rink... It's not a great simulation, surely?

[size=8pt](*Or alternatively, removing green grids etc., which I personally think is madness - you're looking at a flat image, you need assistance to see breaks.)[/size]

I've not joined a society yet so I dread to think of the kinds of low scores people are already posting - yet it seems like the attitude towards this is that "it doesn't affect you so why do you care". Can we even lock societies to just the hardest clubs yet? To make it as realistic as possible, and as fair as possible?

If you're playing in a society / tournament where every round you've got someone hitting scores not even the pros can manage... It's just not golf, is it? It's super-robo-impossible golf. You expect that of Mario Golf, and EA's golf games too (because realism was never their biggest aim). But I thought TGC was supposed to be different.

Overall...

I just really cannot accept that this is a big enough change from TGC2, in any area (including gameplay), to NOT ONLY be an entirely new edition, but to be a FULL-PRICE TITLE. Sorry, but it's not in the same league as any other console sports title that costs this much money.

If the price increase is to pay for the PGA branding, I'm sorry, but it's absolutely 100% not worth it in my eyes, given what little it's added to the product (official courses that I don't think are any different to the others, and a career mode that, although much appreciated, would be just the same without the branding).

I'm hoping for lots of patches that upgrade things but if this entry constitutes a new release, I can't see there being any development that won't just become TGC 2020. But I won't be buying it based on my experience here.

All of this is absolute genuine feedback - if I was a troll, I would have posted a couple of lines and a few insults. I hope it's taken in the spirit in which it is intended (constructive criticism, from a disappointed gamer).

You make some good points but it really boils down to this, there is no better option out there for a realistic golf game. The real value to me are the custom courses which is literally hundreds if not thousands already out there and most of all the TGC Tours Website.

Fishook

Dec 20, 2017
Thanks for the above review as the Golf Club has always been on radar, but I want a good single player career mode as my main focus. But having the PGA tour looked to sway me towards a purchase. The high price has led me to seek more reviews as it a lot of money for a impulse purchase.

OP
OP
gilko79

gilko79

Oct 27, 2017
Ivalice
I'll wait a while and gauge the feedback before deciding to pull the trigger. Hope the new additions (and PGA license) are solid.

Luschient

Oct 30, 2017
Completely forgot this game was released. From UK Jack Bauer review, doesn't sound like too much has been upgraded since the original GC.

That's really too bad as I enjoyed some aspects of GC but the frame rate stuttering really killed it for me. Enjoyed the Rory game a few years back and was ready for another good golf game. I'm guessing I'll still get this since it's the only golf option currently but damn they had a chance to really blow it out of the water with this release now that they have the PGA license.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
What sort of state is this game in now? Not played a golf game for years and i'm getting that itch again.

Dec 3, 2018
Ontario Canada
New guy here. 1'st post, long time lurker even before registering.

I've been playing TGC since 2014 and TGC1. I think the game is in it's best spot that it has been. It has some flaws but the latest version TGC 2019 Featuring PGA Tour has come a long way since the 1'st version. There is a somewhat robust career mode now. New modes of play added and online multi player.

Also 3 different club sets "beginner" "Pro" and "Master" add different levels of difficulty. With Masters being the hardest. There is a "tempo" now so it's not just pull back the stick and slam it forward. You have to have your rhythm down or your shot can go wildly offline.

What really adds to the game though is a site called TGCTours. (I'd link to it but not sure I can put links in as this is my 1'st post, just google TGCTours . com and you will find it) It's an online league that tries to emulate the real life golf tour with different "tiers". You play Q-school and depending on how you do you get placed into a tier. Which are PGA, Euro, Web then CCPro which consists of CCA, CCB, CCC, CCD. Next you have CCAM which consists of CCE, CCF, CCG and finally CCE. There is also a "beginner" tour where you can play using the beginner club set and there are no demotions or promotions and or stress of all that. You can just play and not worry how well you are doing. If you are into more of a hardcore experience you can join the "True Sim" tour which has a lot of the aids turned off and present a considerable challenge.

I think The Golf Club game would have died out long ago if it wasn't for TGCTours, it just adds a level of depth to the game that isn't in the game itself.

Still I won't lie, there are some issues with the game, some silly bugs but for the most part its a fun golf game. There is a discrepancy of play between the platforms. PS4 being the easiest and pc and xbox being somewhat harder. Not sure why that is but there has been some discussion in the past on the causes of that. I hope the next version they get that sorted so its an equal playing field for all. Really only matters though if you are playing on TGCTours and competing against all platforms.

I have nearly 2000 hours in TGC1, a few hundred in TGC 2 and 330 in TGC19. I do believe they are working on a new version. 2K is the publisher now and it appears that they may go to a yearly release cycle. Unfortunately the creators of the game HB Studios have gone silent, to the point of never posting on their forum leaving members on their forums wondering whats going on. Even in some cases totally ignoring customer posts who may be having problems even playing the game. It's sad really to see that considering back when Anthony Kyne was the project manager there were weekly dev streams and a constant engagement with the community. Now they just ignore you and lock any threads that they don't want to deal with. That said, leave that part out of it and I think there is a good and fun game to be had. I play every day, and play in the weekly tournaments on TGCTours. It's my go to game that I keep coming back to.

If your looking for a good and fun golf game to play, TGC 2019 is the only one and for me it's worth the money. A little too expensive if you ask me, just looked and saw it's $66 on Steam.

Sorry for the episode of War and Peace with the length. I'm tired and rambling.

/new guy signing off lol/

Last edited: