• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017

A combination of pandemic-driven shortages and the planet's increasingly gruesome fascination with crypto-mining means it's hard getting your hands on a new graphics card at the moment. And if you were wondering just how hard, look at this line-up—and resulting crush of humanity—outside a Micro Center store in Dallas.

The video below, captured by PrestonALewis, goes for 50 minutes, but you'll only really be interested in the first five or so, where we see a huge crowd form in the store's parking lot, before staff emerge to tell everybody that only one card per household can be purchased.

"Is there going to be enough for all of us?"

"No!"

Then, when the doors open (at around 3:55), all hell breaks loose.

kotaku.com

Chaotic Scenes At Nvidia GPU Restock

A combination of pandemic-driven shortages and the planet’s increasingly gruesome fascination with crypto-mining means it’s hard getting your hands on a new graphics card at the moment. And if you were wondering just how hard, look at this line-up—and resulting crush of humanity—outside a Micro...

Last edited by a moderator:

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
WHY?!
It wouldnt be worth it to me personally...

Like wild starving animals getting fed a steak... Its ridiculous

Acting like they have no dignity.

Bohemian

Oct 26, 2017
Would have been awesome if there had been some people who didn't rush the store and then got moved to the front of the line for actually listening to instructions.

Is there a reason they weren't allowed to queue along the side of the building instead of having a bunch of people just gathered in no specific way surrounding the parking lot? Seems like that makes it 10x worse.

Absolute0

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how many of those people are there just to attempt to resell the cards for 2-3x msrp.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
I thought about going to my local center but decided against waiting outside a whole day only to get stampeded to death lol

Shit sucks tho, 8 and a half months since launch

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how many of those people are there just to attempt to resell the cards for 2-3x msrp.
after they recoup their upfront cost by mining on it for 60 days, even at half hash rate...then selling it used

this damn shortage is crazy, makes my 2070 used purchase for 350 seem like the deal of a century every damn day

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like maybe we have figured out ways to do things like this before that don't involve mad rushes by mobs of people.

Trago

Oct 25, 2017
I'm soooo thankful I was able to snag a 3080.

This whole situation is just fucked, and it seems like it's not gonna get better anytime soon.

And what really sucks to know is that a lot of these people are probably scalpers lol.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Why the hell didn't they have a line formed and pass out tickets like normal retail stores do?

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Zs9v6yH.gif

holy shit

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
If you're at the back of a "line" like that, just go home lol. You aint getting shit.

lairo

May 28, 2020
I really feel this is the way things'll be for years now. Same with consoles, PS5 are still hard to get, it's incredible.

Off topic: Kotaku is incredibly unusable, halfway through the article I got a video ad with no way to close, covering literally half of my screen. At the sponsored content part, there was literally more ads than could fit, and nearly no article. How can people still read it with this experience?

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
kotaku.com

Chaotic Scenes At Nvidia GPU Restock

A combination of pandemic-driven shortages and the planet’s increasingly gruesome fascination with crypto-mining means it’s hard getting your hands on a new graphics card at the moment. And if you were wondering just how hard, look at this line-up—and resulting crush of humanity—outside a Micro...

KG1U9R5.jpg

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Just to be clear - this is every Microcenter. Tustin's location has had it even worse, if you can believe it. I'm so glad I finally managed to get my GPU and get out of that crazy scene.

Cr1st0

Oct 28, 2017
Crypto has been the culprit for this. Makes no fucking sense.

Edit
Also wondering if I can sell my 2070 super for more than its worth