Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017

Happy for Taylor since Folklore is a good album but I have to point out how black artist always gets screwed over by the Grammys. Basically gives them wins in certain categories but none in the big ones. I'm super happy for Beyoncé making history she absolutely deserves it but her whole Grammy win history shows this in action.

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
With Kacey Musgraves winning AOTY in 2019, Billie Eilish in 2020, and Taylor again in 2021, white women have been dominating that category and Adele is 100% guaranteed to win it again in 2022 if she releases this year. Kinda crazy.

Would love for the Academy to reward women of color too for AOTY, hasn't happened since Lauryn Hill right?

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
The Weeknd being snubbed is another example of why the Grammys will continue be a joke. Let's not forget 1989 won over TPAB..... yup. Atleast Nas won his first Grammy after 25 years. Smh, definitely should had one a long time ago.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
The Weeknd being snubbed is another example of why the Grammys will continue be a joke. Let's not forget 1989 won over TPAB..... yup. Atleast Nas won his first Grammy after 25 years. Smh, definitely should had one a long time ago.
Honestly 1989 winning over TPAB was not really a travesty depending on your definition of AOTY - if it's purely based on quality, sure, but if it encompasses cultural reach, commercial performance and general ubiquity, 1989 was the biggest pop blockbuster of the 2010s. I feel similarly about 25 vs Lemonade.

The Weeknd not being nominated, however, was a travesty as he had both cultural ubiquity and tons of acclaim to back up any potential nomination.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Honestly 1989 winning over TPAB was not really a travesty depending on your definition of AOTY - if it's purely based on quality, sure, but if it encompasses cultural reach, commercial performance and general ubiquity, 1989 was the biggest pop blockbuster of the 2010s. I feel similarly about 25 vs Lemonade.

The Weeknd not being nominated, however, was a travesty as he had both cultural ubiquity and tons of acclaim to back up any potential nomination.

Then why would Beck win a few years ago? Unless I'm completely out of the loop, I don't recall his album having cultural reach, commercial performance and general ubiquity. As many artists have already come out to speak out against the Grammys, they already confirmed to the public that it's all really nothing but a networking award show. If you show up to their parties, you're likely to get a nomination.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

The Weeknd being snubbed is inexcusable and more black artists need to be recognized.

But 1989 was an absolute monster of an album both critically and commercially. It's certainly valid to think TPAB was a better album but it definitely wasn't snubbed when an album like 1989 takes the award home.

Your later Beck comparison is more apt. Beyonce likely deserved the award that year although Beck's Morning Phase is a beautiful album.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Grammy's have been racist for ages. They are just getting shit on very publicly and being called out for it for the first time in a while by the Weeknd, which is going to crater whatever credibility they had left.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
As much as I like BTS, I can understand why they didn't win , "Dynamite" is just not that good a song.

Doby

Oct 25, 2017

If the Grammys and the Weeknd hadn't fallen out and he had got an AOTY nomination I think it's reasonable to assume Folklore still would have beaten After Hours. The Grammys are absolutely, unequivocally racist and I wish that had happened to refocus the spotlight on them.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
If the Grammys and the Weeknd hadn't fallen out and he had got an AOTY nomination I think it's reasonable to assume Folklore still would have beaten After Hours. The Grammys are absolutely, unequivocally racist and I wish that had happened to refocus the spotlight on them.
And how would Folklore beating After Hours be an instance of their racism?

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
And how would Folklore beating After Hours be an instance of their racism?

I would personally classify it less as overt racism than genre territorialism, with large contingents of the Grammy voting body voting for acts in the top categories that most closely reflect their own genre.

There were a lot of stories about this several years ago about how they intended to address this by expanding the slate of nominees (I remember reading that the Country and Rock genres are the largest memberships by far and they tend to vote as a bloc for artists that are most like them... it makes sense on some levels for Country artists to want a Kacey Musgraves or Taylor Swift win, and I wouldn't simply label their votes racist) and while that's brought more diversity to the nominees in the General Field, it hasn't resulted in, for example, more diverse Album of the Year wins (though it has to be acknowledged that 2/4 of this year's big awards were for WoC and all 4 were for women).

I think calling the Grammys racist is an overly simplified and reductive take, for certain, but the award definitely reflects American music's racial trends/biases in some ways, even though we have seen (to use examples from this year) nominations for a Black female country artist and a Chinese-White R&B artist.

A lot of hot takes about the awards definitely conflate the nominating process and the voting process, which are two very separate things and which vary by category!