• Shadow/Rouge/Blaze/Silver

• Everyone Is Here!

• Make Bunnie Rabbot canon

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
She's kinda canon now. The 360/PS3 version of Sonic the Fighters made her fully playable, and she was shown off in a piece of Classic Sonic art by Adam Bryce Thomas awhile back.
Yeah she's great in StF but she's more of a bonus oddity (and reference to Fighting Vipers) we need her in another game to fully cement her status as best cat.

Blaze, Amy, Shadow, Cream the Rabbit, Espio, Knuckles, Tails, Fang the Sniper, Mighty, Sticks, any of the cool new IDW comic characters…anyone really.

I don't mind playing as Sonic's friends, as long as they are given an actual play-style befitting of their abilities and/or characteristics instead of trying to fit them under some half-hearted Speed/Flight/Power templet.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone, though not in every game or all at once of course.

Lemme play as Tangle and Whisper in a console game.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
Sonic. Only Sonic. They still need to get a handle on his gameplay, they definitely don't need to go trying multiple different styles and characters.

Drachen

May 3, 2021
I'm pretty much fine with any Sonic 'friend' as long as they aren't an annoying ass baby character like Chip.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
People not voting Shadow and Blaze are really sleeping on the fact that they're the absolute best secondary playable characters in the entire franchise next to the original three. Mostly because they're just Sonic but slightly different, like how Knuckles was in S3 and Mania

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I only accept Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles.

Every time a game has had more playable characters than just these three, it turned out to be pretty bad.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I like Sonic, Tails and Knuckles the most, but I don't mind any of his friends really. Forces actually had a very cool concept and a reason for everyone coming together as a resistance... if just wasn't fleshed out enough for it to matter.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The problem with sonic's friends in game isn't the characters, it's that, usually, their gameplay is quite bad.

If they have a decent gameplay framework that's fun and interesting and they wish to develop upon, THEN they should put them into the game. If the gameplay mechanic is "sonic and...", they should just make a powerup for sonic that does that thing.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I voted for the original cast, but realistically they should focus on making just one character feel good to play before thinking about others.

Forces controls like absolute garbage. I'd go as far as to call it embarrassing.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
If we're talking actually playable then Tails, Knuckles, Amy and Blaze. With a dual story approach then Eggman is fine too, as for characters that show up as a plot device I'm fine with anyone but Big, Shadow, Rouge or Silver. This obsession with only Sonic and Classic Sonic as a knee jerk reaction to the "shitty friends" criticism is part of what has made modern Sonic games so boring, and all those people have moved on to "Sonic was never good" memes instead.

Dec 25, 2018
They're fun. Whisper is just straight up Sonic the Hedgehog's version of Sniper Wolf who used to hang out with Foxhound.

They were popular enough to get a miniseries, the first time in I want to say 20+ years a comic original character got their own spinoff.
Think the artist who designed the character mentioned Sniper Wolf and Kopaka as major influences (the latter influence most obvious in the mask design).

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
Only Tails, fuck the rest of them. Knuckles should be a proper bad guy. Not sure if he is or not because I don't really follow Sonic now.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
The pre dreamcast cast.

Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy and Metal Sonic.

Mighty and Ray too I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
Let them figure out how to play Sonic in 3D first before they start making other characters playable.
But if I had to choose, Knuckles for alternative route with his punches/climbing/gliding and maybe Tails for the easy mode.

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
Any would be good. I think the variety that comes from different characters play styles is something badly missed since the Adventure games.

Hutchie

Oct 27, 2017
In full game

tails, knuckles, shadow all running style (i.e. no stupid treasure hunting or shooting games)

in mini games

big the cat fishing
Amy whack a mole

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Can't believe I forgot about Tangle and Whisper in my earlier post; yes please. Would love to see them be playable in a main series game.

Only Tails, fuck the rest of them. Knuckles should be a proper bad guy. Not sure if he is or not because I don't really follow Sonic now.
Knuckles was never a villain; Eggman tricked him into believing Sonic wanted to steal his Master Emerald.

Yeah she's great in StF but she's more of a bonus oddity (and reference to Fighting Vipers) we need her in another game to fully cement her status as best cat.
She's at least got that appearance in official art to let us know she CAN appear in Classic Sonic media.

Just a shame that she can ONLY appear in Classic Sonic media now; same for the Hooligans. They really need to let go of those mandates; Honey's appearance in the short lived Archie Sonic reboot was great.

images

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tails, Shadow and Metal Sonic feel like characters that ought to be playable simply because of how much they're molded off of Sonic (Metal isn't a "friend" but he was a bonus unlockable in Adventure DX and I hope he gets that kind of integration in Colors Ultimate). Tails in particular works as an "easy mode" alternative, though in the boost formula's rigidity it'd be hard to slot anyone with new mechanics, except Shadow who's always a natural counterpart. It's crazy that it took until Forces for him to show back up.

Knuckles and Blaze are characters they should be accommodating, especially Blaze. She's the one friend character almost no one has anything negative to say about, she originated in a game that was critically acclaimed, and hilariously, she's one of the better controlling characters in Sonic 06. Speed and fire is a kickass combo, it makes her a cool foil to Sonic.

In a perfect world, the unique IDW characters would also get their chance under the sun. But more importantly I just want these friend characters to be able to exist centrally in the narrative rather than just Tails. Never mind the playable aspect, Sonic's world has felt lonely ever since 06.

As an aside, keep Vector around. His design is too good to be forgotten.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Weird poll options. I am fine with all sorts of playable characters, but I am tired of Tails and especially Amy being forced into just everything for no reason. I want to see unique mixes of characters, like how about a Sonic and Rouge game, a Knuckles and Blaze game or just something surprising in general.

I think most of the extended cast is good to fine, but I never want to see Charmy, Silver or the alien birds again. I would honestly like to see a handful of the old western made Sonic characters like Sally or Bunnie come back properly and I was never really a fan of them personally.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be up for Sonic/Blaze/Shadow. Gameplay wise they'd all be pretty similar with perhaps a couple different moves each to spice things up, and you'd get a nice character dynamic similar to Trevor/Sypha/Alucard from the Castlevania anime.

Oct 27, 2017
I like the idea of everyone being playable but not necessarily every needing a full campaign so to speak. Give a few characters lengthy play for story reasons, but then you can reserve everyone else for special/side missions tailored to them and probably get better results than having to stretch that out to a full game. Not outstaying the welcome etc.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
Not really a fan of how many of the extended cast look but it's fun to have different gameplay mechanics to try. One of the only parts of the 3D Sonic games I enjoyed was gliding around as Knuckles in Sonic Adventure.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Short of a Sonic Battle 2 with everyone, make a game where Blaze leads a team with Tangle and Whisper. And another team consisting of Amy, Cream, and Gemerl.

For any Sonic spinoff, there should never be another TSR situation where they get the whole game to themselves and still end up with the most milquetoast roster.

Shoot Zavok into space and send Silver back to his shitty timeline that shouldn't exist anymore. They can only come back if Ian Flynn is writing. As cameos.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
As long as they fit the game and are fun to play as, the more the merrier! I like some better than others but I generally like the inclusion of more than just Sonic and Tails.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland
People not voting Shadow and Blaze are really sleeping on the fact that they're the absolute best secondary playable characters in the entire franchise next to the original three. Mostly because they're just Sonic but slightly different, like how Knuckles was in S3 and Mania

Blaze is getting the short stick because of how she got paired off. Shadow has always been divisive and people flat out don't like Silver.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The pre dreamcast cast.

Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy and Metal Sonic.

Mighty and Ray too I guess.

Your missing Vector he has been around since Sonic 1. Mays as well bring the rest of the Chaotix with him as well along with bomb and heavy since those are pre dreamcast as well. Nack is fits that as well so he should be back as well along with the rest of team holagin so bean and bark.

That's said the dreamcast as a cut off point is pretty arbitrary so may as well bring in shadow and rouge since at the very least they can be decent skins. Meaning we can't leave out blaze and she will usually get paired with cream and cheese and those are good beginner characters and we don't want to loose the strong women and girls in the sonic series for silly reasons. Gemeral would also be good as a non evil robot for the games as he is creams friend. Omega should also be back as all Eggman robots must be destroyed and make him play more like Gama as her gameplay was pretty fast in the first sonic adventure.

You may as well bring silver in for the party as well as his time shit could make it even easier to bring in the idw characters like tangle and whisper and could even be essential in bringing the freedom fighters back.

Oh and Big, he is the heart of the franchise.

Biestmann

Oct 25, 2017
Why even put Blaze into the same option as goddamn Silver? She is the best Sonic friend of the 3D era and was a joy to play as in Rush. She's popular too, so I am puzzled she never made her return.

I think Tails and Knuckles have a spot in 2D-style stages as long as they play the same as Sonc with their own abilities on top, but in a 3D space I've never been a fan of what Knuckles and Tails more so had to offer. Blaze would just fit right into the boost style they love so much.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
It might be a spicy take, but Knuckles probably shouldn't be ranked alongside Sonic and Tails. Only thing he's really got going for him is seniority. His gimmick of lower jump, but can glide and climb is serviceable in the 2D outings, but there's never really been a good 3D Knuckles.

I'd honestly trade out Knuckles for Amy, Blaze, or even Shadow. All of those have more interesting gameplay gimmicks than Knuckles ever had.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm annoyed that fans have scared Sonic Team straight from ever having playable friends again. I miss playing as Tails and Knuckles. Hell, Shadow's combat focused playstyle in 06 was good on paper. I just want them to try again one day, even if it's just the original trio. Please, just no more Classic Sonic in the mainline games.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with having everyone playable but they need to have an idea thats at least a little fun for the characters. Don't just add it for the sake of evening the numbers out. If the idea isn't really that solid then scale their campaign to fit ala SA.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
I do not care about who but how. Minor variations of the boost, mega drive, rush or adventure Sonic gameplay are all welcome. I'd like a game that features those four styles with various Sonic characters, but I do not care who. If I had to choose it would be Sonic (boost), Tails (Mega Drive), Knuckles (Adventure) and either Blaze or Shadow (Rush). But that's just going off who is popular, as long as they only chose (minor variations of) the previously named Sonic playstyles, I am fine. Mech shooting, Werehogging, treasure hunting, whatever Amy's garbage in Adventure is, Chao, fishing can all die a miserable death.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, the Chaotix Crew and, if they really have to, Shadow. Anything else is worthless.