Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Good:

- Zama, Under the Skin, In the Mood for Love making the top 10
- Obvious picks like Yi Yi and Tropical Malady and You, The Living and White Material make the cut (not a given for non-artsy lists)
- Nice inclusion of recent movies that haven't been fully beloved yet like Capernaum and The Souvenir and Happy as Lazzaro

Bad:

- Weird comedy picks that scream more "we should get a comedy here, any will do" There are lots ofp icks better than fucking TED
- Surprising nods towards forgotten also-rans like Nebraska, Anomalisa, We Need to Talk About Kevin, Waltz with Bashir, and Philomena

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Incredibles wouldn't have been my choice for a Pixar rep

And I probably would have picked Inception or Interstellar over the Dark Knight for a Nolan rep

No idea what Ted is doing on this list

OP
OP
Meows

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Under the skin at 4th place? I'm surprised it's even on the list.
One of my favorite movies, the score is something out of this world, the whole thing is just totally disturbing yet interesting to watch.

tumblr_p76ybsKDcf1ut1d6co1_500.gif

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Maybe I'm missing it but I don't see Fury Road on that list.

It would make the entire thing invalid.

Stove

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting to see Team America so high.

I really need to see In the Mood for Love.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the positions within the 100 can be interchangeable, but that is a good list to go through. Strange to see Ted on there though, but I guess it's just an opinion.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What's the deal with 'There Will Be Blood?' Someone explain to me why it's so strongly regarded? It's great in terms of the acting and cinematography, but the plot did nothing for me. Genuinely curious as to why I don't get it. To me it leans more towards a 'character study.'

Links to good articles I could digest would be appreciated.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Boyhood was so boring, worst part is I don't know if people are giving it a pass for the 12 years in the making thing or genuinely like the movie.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
That's a very US centric top ten. I don't mean made-in-Hollywood, but that the films focus on putting aspects and cultures of Americana front-and-center. You either have to be a native or an Americanophile to get the most out of them.

OP
OP
Meows

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting to see Team America so high.

I really need to see In the Mood for Love.
This is on The Criterion streaming channel right now and I highly recommend it, Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung are masterful in it.

It also made me want to have a good looking meal afterword.

tumblr_p7atvmVMNw1sr5vsyo5_r4_500.gif

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Aside from the undertaking of filming over years of time Boyhood is not at all deserving of the praise it gets. It's not bad nowhere in the top 10 films of the century. Not even top 25.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
What's the deal with 'There Will Be Blood?' Someone explain to me why it's so strongly regarded? It's great in terms of the acting and cinematography, but the plot did nothing for me. Genuinely curious as to why I don't get it. To me it leans more towards a 'character study.'

- Beautifully shot and crafted
- One of the most darkly funny hollywood films this side of........... well Phantom Thread I guess
- Awesome acting

I mean, those are what make a great movie

Maybe I'm missing it but I don't see Fury Road on that list.

It would make the entire thing invalid.

What? I was like "Well, it surely is between 11-15" but not even in the top 100 is crazy talk, I won't even bother with a click

no Fury Road is odd but "anyone who doesnt have it in their top 20 is crazy" is a nuts take. It's a perfectly crafted action movie and one of my favorite theater experiences of the decade and it still would be out of my top 30 i think.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

You answered your own question lol

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I think my tastes align a lot more with the BBC list than this one.

Surprised to see gangs of Gangs of Wasseypur on here.

No Country and Burning too low on the list for my liking.

Would have stuck Memories of Murder in there too.

Boyhood was so boring, worst part is I don't know if people are giving it a pass for the 12 years in the making thing or genuinely like the movie.

I got super bored during both movies.

Stove

Oct 27, 2017
This is on The Criterion streaming channel right now and I highly recommend it, Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung are masterful in it.

It also made me want to have a good looking meal afterword.

tumblr_p7atvmVMNw1sr5vsyo5_r4_500.gif

The film genuinely intrigues me because I know next to nothing about it. I suspect I will absolutely love it based on the friends who have recommended it to me specifically.

Unfortunately we don't have Criterion in Australia yet.

blonded

Oct 30, 2017
Needs more Korean films. Parasite should be on there but I guess it did come out really recently.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Bladerunner 2049 not in that list at all. Unless I'm blind.

If I'm not, they are.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Mad Max Fury Road not in the top 10 (never mind not being anywhere on the list at all), but somehow Team America made it? Come on Guardian this is bullshit.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
It's their own personal choice, but some good films on there especially

Synecdoche, New York

Which has an even more haunting effect on me now than when I orginally saw it.

Catvoca

Oct 25, 2017
Ted, the Seth MacFarlane comedy, is at 60, higher than movies like No Country For Old Men lmao

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy
No Country for Old Men is #86, but Team America: World Police is #10? Only one Pixar movie -- and it's The Incredibles? Bizarre list.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
I truly don't see what people like about that movie besides the obvious

It's certainly a marmite film. I enjoyed the sheer off-kilterness of it.

It's a film made for the cinema. I remember seeing it at a packed screening and afterward, it was funny hearing the comments coming out.

Narratively it's all over the place but it's surreal mood saves it for me.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Comedy options are very weird. And There Will Be Blood as the only PTA movie there is mildly baffling since I think I like pretty much every other movie he's made as much if not more.