OP
OP
donkey

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
donkey is right though, Destiny IS something we all have to deal with.
2MlGbEm.gif

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Felt like Char had completely regressed from the man he had become in Z.

I saw CCA before Zeta, and it made more sense that way, to me.
Char's characterization is entirely consistent. I don't feel like writing a manifesto here so just going to tl;dr the major bits

-The important things in Zeta are his interactions with Amuro and especially his speech at Dakar. The entire speech (which is being delivered off the cuff from his heart) is about how the planet has been pushed to the brink and needs time to heal, hence the rest of humanity needs to emigrate to space. Even at this point Char is disillusioned, but Amuro believes that humanity is capable of change. Char says he will give Amuro's way a chance.

-This leads into ZZ, which as I previously mentioned is often written off as a contributing factor to CCA in the western fandom, but is actually very important. Char is watching from the sidelines the entire time. Despite his pleas for change, the same status quo remains. The corrupt elites of the Earth Federation are entirely self-serving and incompetent in their war against Neo Zeon. They capitulate to Haman out of the desire to protect nothing beyond their own lifestyles (the very one killing Earth) and are willfully delusional that she will keep her word when they deal. The entire Earthsphere was nearly doomed again. It is only bailed out because Neo Zeon descends into civil war (and another newtype ace teenager fell into Bright's lap).

Char tried things Amuro's way. Nothing changed. From his point of view, drastic action needed to be taken in order to save both humanity and Earth in the long term. He went to Neo Zeon because it gave him the army he needed. He knew exactly how to bait the Federation elite into capitualing into a self-serving deal to get his hands on Axis. He was doing what he thought needed to be done, and knew he would go down as a villain for it.

Oct 27, 2017
Char's characterization is entirely consistent. I don't feel like writing a manifesto here so just going to tl;dr the major bits

-The important things in Zeta are his interactions with Amuro and especially his speech at Dakar. The entire speech (which is being delivered off the cuff from his heart) is about how the planet has been pushed to the brink and needs time to heal, hence the rest of humanity needs to emigrate to space. Even at this point Char is disillusioned, but Amuro believes that humanity is capable of change. Char says he will give Amuro's way a chance.

-This leads into ZZ, which as I previously mentioned is often written off as a contributing factor to CCA in the western fandom, but is actually very important. Char is watching from the sidelines the entire time. Despite his pleas for change, the same status quo remains. The corrupt elites of the Earth Federation are entirely self-serving and incompetent in their war against Neo Zeon. They capitulate to Haman out of the desire to protect nothing beyond their own lifestyles (the very one killing Earth) and are willfully delusional that she will keep her word when they deal. The entire Earthsphere was nearly doomed again. It is only bailed out because Neo Zeon descends into civil war (and another newtype ace teenager fell into Bright's lap).

Char tried things Amuro's way. Nothing changed. From his point of view, drastic action needed to be taken in order to save both humanity and Earth in the long term. He went to Neo Zeon because it gave him the army he needed. He knew exactly how to bait the Federation elite into capitualing into a self-serving deal to get his hands on Axis. He was doing what he thought needed to be done, and knew he would go down as a villain for it.
👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I'm happy for you if that's your takeaway from Char in CCA but I can't agree with any of it with the exception of him knowing he would be labeled as a villain for it because that much is apparent. Char CCA is just a weird, bitter older man that wanted to fight Amuro one last time.

Gespenst MKIV

Nov 1, 2017
It is both really Char believes in Contolism aka(get humanity off Earth) but he also wants to be the ace pilot and fight his destinated rival and not worry about being a leader and all that stuff the conflict between those two parts of him is part of the reason that CCA ends the way it does

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy for you if that's your takeaway from Char in CCA but I can't agree with any of it with the exception of him knowing he would be labeled as a villain for it because that much is apparent. Char CCA is just a weird, bitter older man that wanted to fight Amuro one last time.
I don't see the need to be facetiously antagonistic in response particularly considering Char's Counterattack is far from perfect and you basically have to infer Char's motivations between the combination of Tomino-isms and the movie's breakneck pace not giving an opportunity to establish them more clearly. But when you go back and examine Char's underlying motivations and actions in Zeta and not just that he was a "good guy" and Kamille's mentor, there's a straight line you can draw between it and CCA.

As yet another example, there's also this scene from Zeta that a lot of people feel like CCA references;

giYVCH6r.png

Char is bitter because he's lost faith in broader humanity. It's come to a point where he feels like he has no other option but to force them to change. The end of the movie is then the hopeful counterpoint; enemies uniting to produce a miracle against all odds, showing that even if the institutions are rotten, there is still hope for humanity.

I feel like there are multiple reads on why Char seeks out Amuro out and goes as far as making sure he has a mobile suit as good as his own. Maybe he's been shouldering the burden of having to be the calculating leader setting this all up and just wants to go out fighting his rival one last time. Maybe he just wants Amuro to come kill him as penance for the evil he's committing.

Last edited:

sderttreds

Jan 6, 2023
finished with unicorn and now i feel empty

didn't expect me complaining about CCA to spark discussion but i skim read beltorchika manga and it gives some context, quess still suck tho and you can't change my mind on that

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Enjoyed SEED Freedom quite a bit. The final battle is a little long and it doesn't tread a ton of new ground storywise, but it was great to see the characters all again, especially Shinn who is awesome and hilarious in this. My audience was really into it, popped off a few times, especially in regards to Athrun:

-him showing up to save Kira (they popped off before they even showed him in the cockpit lol, everyone knew it was him)

-beating the shit out of Kira

-pretty much everything in the final battle but especially the naked Cagalli mind attack

Overall, it's a Gundam SEED movie, with all the soap opera melodrama included. If you're into that, it's more of that.

Fukura's interview before the movie started was also pretty emotional, with everything he's been through. Glad he made this.

Layla

Oct 25, 2017
finished Double Zeta. what a mess of a show, but I still enjoyed my time with it.
now on to 00, one of the characters being called Allelujah Haptism is cracking me up!

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
My usual full disclosure here that I am an active investor who holds a significant amount of NCBDY when it comes to talking business specifics, I am going to biased obviously.

But akatsuki is a fully new tooled kit, it reuses nothing and it is a plated kit. It was always going to be really expensive. The cost of raw pellets has also increased by almost 35% in the last two years, so prices are going to go up. Plus international distribution is more important than ever and the yen is very weak so prices need to trend up if these products are going to be profitable.

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Started G Reco finally! I know the show is infamous for being a bit messy (probably doesn't help that I'm watching the TV show and not the compilation movies), but 4 episodes in and so far so good! I hope they'll reprint Gunplas for the 10th year anniversary, the designs slap hard.
The series starts really strong. It gets a bit uneven later on; the last ~10 eps sort of feel like Tomino figuring out how to work through plot for more episodes than the anime was greenlit for, making them feel simultaneously like a whole lot but also not much is happening.

I still need to get around to the movies.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
My usual full disclosure here that I am an active investor who holds a significant amount of NCBDY when it comes to talking business specifics, I am going to biased obviously.

But akatsuki is a fully new tooled kit, it reuses nothing and it is a plated kit. It was always going to be really expensive. The cost of raw pellets has also increased by almost 35% in the last two years, so prices are going to go up. Plus international distribution is more important than ever and the yen is very weak so prices need to trend up if these products are going to be profitable.

Business wise and gunpla wise I get it. Gold of plated kits are always expensive. But in general they're trending up. Gwitch was just under 2,000. Seed Freedom is at 2,600 for HGs. The prices are quite high imo for the line. NT's MG was also 7,000 base.

Economics aside it sucks the hobby has essentially doubled in price per kit for the newer stuff. Granted I did see two immortal justices at the combini at half off and passed because I can't stand Shinn lol.

Last edited:

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017

👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼
Not to mention witnessing all of this is IMO a big part of what leads Hathaway on the path he takes in Flash. He's torn between idealism (some of the naive shit he believes like Amuro did) and pragmatism (shit needs to get done yo).

Strikerrr

Oct 25, 2017

Watching X-Men 97 lately made me realize that Magneto's arc in that show is very similar to what you describe here.
A former villain tries to lead a team of his former enemies, following the ideals of his old rival.
In the end, they are disillusioned with trying the peaceful approach, and resort to using cataclysmic levels of violence as a means to an end.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Business wise and gunpla wise I get it. Gold of plated kits are always expensive. But in general they're trending up. Gwitch was just under 2,000. Seed Freedom is at 2,600 for HGs. The prices are quite high imo for the line. NT's MG was also 7,000 base.

Economics aside it sucks the hobby has essentially doubled in price per kit for the newer stuff. Granted I did see two immortal justices at the combini at half off and passed because I can't stand Shinn lol.
And prices are going to keep climbing for as long as the yen remains weak unfortunately. The price of importing raw materials and exporting to international markets is incredibly costly right now. The volatility of shipping is also a huge cost at the moment. It's getting pricey to get through Panama, and the situations in the Taiwan Straits, Straits of Hormuz and Suez Canal are making simple transit expensive as hell.

Oct 27, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/180223/status/1788488243673223347

Started G Reco finally! I know the show is infamous for being a bit messy (probably doesn't help that I'm watching the TV show and not the compilation movies), but 4 episodes in and so far so good! I hope they'll reprint Gunplas for the 10th year anniversary, the designs slap hard.

You're early on is why

I'm not sure why I never thought to ask on here, but does anyone happen to know what the BGM is for Gundam Evolve episode 5? I've loved it ever since I heard it years ago, but could never find it as a standalone track anywhere

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZBtHLhzZGo&ab_channel=MechaCafe17

Last edited:

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the New Anime Century event is pretty widely documented but it's always cool as fuck to see.

It's one of my favorites to bring up when misogynist fake Gundam fans come up. This is an event spawned from first generation Fujos and Charma yaoi.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Started watching Gundam Wing after putting it off for years. It is certainly closer to the super robot scale of things but so far it is fairly entertaining. Only a few episodes in though so we'll see if we get hit with the classic "struggle to come up with enough story to fill a year's worth of episodes" issue.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Wing is kind of the opposite. It's kind of a 90sification of the classic Gundam arc from 0079-CCA so you have crazy whiplash in the back half of Wing from trying to cram so much in, it's fucking incomprehensible. Glory of the Losers fixed it a bit but it still was far from perfect.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I remember about Gundam Wing is the ending to the first episode. That and the amazing SNES fighting game.

BlueScrote

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to tell if the back half of Wing is incomprehensible because of bad storytelling or because of the director change.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to tell if the back half of Wing is incomprehensible because of bad storytelling or because of the director change.
Both. Show is trying to do the same sort of story of MSG, Z,ZZ, and CCA in 50 episodes. It was never going to work out well.

SEED which also had direction and bad storytelling a lot of the time worked better because it used 100 episodes to just do it's version of MSG and Zeta.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah for all my gripes with Unicorn(tl;dr version-I think it is a half measure between toning down the novels and being its own thing and ends up a mess as a result), it is gorgeous. It was real fun as it was releasing. Every episode release was a fucking event. It was fun going through all the Easter eggs and everything.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Unicorn for as much crap as I give it now, actually caused me to take notice of the series again after not watching anything for ~10 years. I do think it peaked at episode 3 though. I think I've watched that one over a dozen times and the rest only a couple at most. But it was hype in the moment.

Hathaway has same vibes coming off the first part. Hope the quality continues.

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I don't care much for Unicorn outside of its production values. Only so much juice you can squeeze from Yet Another Zeon Conflict. You can see my thoughts about it in this thread 3 years ago!

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
I really dislike Full Frontal. He's a complete nothing waste of a character.
Because everything that made him a character at all in the books was completely removed in the anime. And I don't think he's good in the books(tl;dr. - he's a cyber newtype experiment gone wrong who absorbed the soul of Char Aznable in his body when Char died which made FF actually kind of Char but also not Char), but at least Fukui made him an actual character. In the anime he's just nothing

Oct 8, 2019
I really dislike Full Frontal. He's a complete nothing waste of a character.

His a character aimed at people who really wish that Tomino had written a generic fantasy story about a returned Prince who must take over the Kingdom, and saves humanity against the evil rich people.

His supposed to represent Fukui's views on World War II, but Gundam F91, and Victory Gundam where already written to show that the Earth Federation survived while Zeon died out, so he couldnt have the colonies unite under Zeon and destroy the Earth Federation. So you just have this meandering idea where his both this schlub who thinks his Char's replacement when his actually just what some people imagined Char is, and since Fukui wanted him to still be Char, you have this idea that like his a fragment of Char's soul, except he lacks the things that made Char an astounding character like Char's various obsessions.

The problem with all of Fukui's writings are the same: His a moron who doesnt get Gundam at any level. He put it best here

F1mlSygWcAAwYhw

Honestly dislike the novel/manga idea with Frontal being a Cyber newtype cause its kinda like removing the mysticism and special of newtypeness.

I woould just prefer due to the Access Shock and such the part of Char that didn't see to terms with Amuro or wasn't able to move on stayed and kept going.

And then at the end when he sees his faults and is beaten meeting up with lalah and his soul again he just moves on.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Is the idea with Frontal that he was literally present or in close proximity at the end of CCA? Like literally souls transferring or just figuratively?

It wouldn't be too far fetched I guess with Kamille's mind wiping but it is still really silly.

The show may have gone into this more I just really don't remember.

Decarbia

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't present in the anime at all. This is solely a concept in the original novels.

In the novel it is literal. A piece of Char's soul literally entered FF.

JoeyJungle

Oct 27, 2017
I just bought most of UC on Bluray and I'm so fucking psyched to rewatch the show!! It's been such a long time since I've watched the original/
zeta, never saw zz, and haven't seen 0080 or 08th ms team since they sere on Toonami.

Cannot wait to rewatch the relationship or Amuro+Char evolve, that one scene in Zeta where
they reunite after Amuro crashes a plane and Amuro gets caught and gazes at Char
is so good!! I cannot wait to watch that shit in bluray!

This is just a "Gundam is so good" post but god, Gundam is so good! The Gouf Custom fight! I get to relive that in bluray!

0080's
Christmas battle with Alex Gundam
holy shit! God this series is so good. Newtypes fighting to free mankind's soul from the heavy chains of gravity and then the tern
turning into "really good fighter",
so good.

Assault on A Baou Qu, all the classic battles, geeze I'm so psyched!