Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Should we tell the writer that Markiplier is a Pewdiepie defender? It needs to be said

Dec 25, 2018
Pretty much said what needed to be said in the wake of all this terrible shit that's come out the past few weeks (or heck the last few years even).

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'm okay with this. I'm going to take up knitting instead. This level of toxicity can't be rampant in the knitting community.

Apr 25, 2020
At the very least this will devastate competitive Smash. Parents aren't going to allow their children into such a dangerous environment whether they're talented at the game or not. And it casts a dark shadow over the industry, just like Gamergate before it.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Probably necessary at this point; too many shitty people using video games as a smokescreen. If you're a non-monstrous person who enjoys video games you can probably find something to identify as other than "gamer".

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I know people here like to act as if there's a distinction between "gamers" and just people who play games, but I don't think the public sees it that way.

If you play a few hours of games a week you're a gamer, and that includes everyone on this forum.

And I think we all know what it is about games that breeds social incompetence lol

Apr 25, 2020
Take up other hobbies/enjoyments like reading, exercising, movies and music alongside games. Gaming needs to cease being an identity and become what it really is, an indulgence.

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
I know people here like to act as if there's a distinction between "gamers" and just people who play games, but I don't think the public sees it that way.

If you play a few hours of games a week you're a gamer, and that includes everyone on this forum.
I feel like "gamer" nowadays has the connotation of being proud of having your identity tied to gaming. That's probably why so many of us refuse to call ourselves gamers, because we don't feel that pride. We know gaming is rotten to the core so I personally feel uncomfortable using that label. I guess it's less of a technicality and more of a statement.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Is being a board-gamer the same as a gamer?
I think it's not so much the content being enjoyed and more the attitude of the community, combined with the size as computer games have become a major tech industry over the last few decades. Gamers have made almost every social hobby space online, whether it's in-game, in discussion or at events, utterly toxic with gatekeeping going hand-in-hand with bigotry as they scream about any attempt to open it up to the wider world rather than it being hyper-focused on the white male nerd space they enjoyed as kids.

There's problems in any hobby, certainly the other geek spheres I'm interested in have their own too, but I think the social nature of tabletop games and perhaps them being less appealing to toxic nerds hiding behind the internet means they aren't quite the same problems to the extent that we've seen in the electronic games industry news this week.

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
We should rebrand era then to be a hygiene focused forum. Have those weird weekend era threads 24/7!

Farrac

Nov 3, 2017
Alcalá de Henares, Spain
I think it's not so much the content being enjoyed and more the attitude of the community, combined with the size as computer games have become a major tech industry over the last few decades. Gamers have made almost every social hobby space online, whether it's in-game, in discussion or at events, utterly toxic with gatekeeping going hand-in-hand with bigotry as they scream about any attempt to open it up to the wider world rather than nerd spaces.

There's problems in any hobby, certainly the other geek spheres I'm interested in have their own too, but I think the social nature of tabletop games and perhaps them being less appealing to toxic nerds hiding behind the internet means they aren't quite the same problems to the extent that we've seen in the electronic games industry news this week.
Oh, you're absolutely right. It was meant to be a bad joke about how I wanted to take up another hobby, my bad.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Eh... We are all gamers. There's no escaping it.

Perhaps we should work on bettering our community instead of just saying "Well I'm not like those assholes, I just play video games."

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
It would be nice is not only people are held accountable, but their faces/pictures are splattered across every discussion.

Because many are talking about Wiz and that, and not many know what do they even look like.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
God I love the hard times. Nailed it hard with the Ubisoft line. We are just straight overloaded right now with these scandals. When the dust settles form 2020 I think games and gamer platforms are gonna be a fast evolving landscape that changes to meet all this.

Who knew giving people a platform to become super rich celebrities and influential with zero vetting could turn around and backfire?

Yeah...I can see a lot of platforms looking at vetting issues and how the hell you manage to implement that in the environment that's been made for streamers and pro players to become celebrities with their streams. What a mess.