Choose!

• The Haunted Mansion

Votes: 191 60.1%
  • Pirates of the Caribbean

Votes: 113 35.5%
  • I've never ridden either. I'm a bad person.

Votes: 14 4.4%

• Total voters

lmog

Jun 17, 2019
Brazil
Just went once to Walt Disney World, and was kinda disappointed with Haunted Mansion, didn't feel scary at all.

Pirates of the Caribeean was cool, nothing spectacular.

Jungle Cruise was better than both.

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
Is Paris Disney worth seeking out? I don't see us going to Hong Kong or Shanghai any time soon but could see us going to Paris.

Is the Pirates of the Caribean one that goes really fast at the end and gets you soaked? Because I really liked that one.

I don't remember Haunted Mansion, is it the elevator one? I didn't ride it because I didn't had the guts.

Both are older rides so there isn't much that is considered "thrilling" by modern standards. Pirates is kind of a leisurely ride in a boat through scenes of pirates doing pirate things including firing cannons at one another. There is one pretty small drop (Two at another location) that can get you wet but not incredibly so. You might be thinking of Splash Mountain where the ending is a big drop into water and you can get soaked.

The ride you're thinking about with Haunted Mansion is probably Twilight Zone Tower of Terror where you sit and go up and drop a few times. It's been retheamed to Guardians of the Galaxy.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Pirates for me. Both are amazing rides, but pirate takes it for a few reasons:

-Haunted Mansion is the inferior Nightmare Before Christmas overlay (in CA and Tokyo) for 1/3rd of the year.
-Pirates never has a huge wait and feels like it has a better ride capacity.
- The minor drop is a slight thrill.
-the ambience and smell of the ship battle scene is peak Disney.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
My two favorite rides as a kid. Haunted Mansion slightly wins out for me. But man, the first moments of Pirates really sucks you in.

Also, shout out to the ONE time I went to Disneyland where we got to eat at the seafood restaurant in the middle of Pirates. Clam chowder wasn't half bad.

DitaParlo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
why are guys talking about the smell of pirates? is the same smell of any water ride of disney world

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone remember when Davy Jones used to be projected onto fog or whatever for a limited time? I always thought that version was cool. Was kind of disappointed they removed it when I went back last year.

anyway Haunted Mansion because the cart moves around

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've only ridden the Phantom Manor last year in Disneyland Paris, and while that elevator absolutely wins compared to both main attractions, overall I'll give it to Pirates. Part of the reason is the insane nostalgia I have for the Fata Morgana here in The Efteling and it's basically the same ride, but different theming.

But hot damn, that stretching room in the Phantom Manor is some engineering master trick. I'm pretty sure how it works other than, you move down, but it's so insanely executed!

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The ride you're thinking about with Haunted Mansion is probably Twilight Zone Tower of Terror where you sit and go up and drop a few times. It's been retheamed to Guardians of the Galaxy
WDW still has theirs. I'm pretty jealous. Tokyo disneysea has a good one too

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone remember when Davy Jones used to be projected onto fog or whatever for a limited time? I always thought that version was cool. Was kind of disappointed they removed it when I went back last year.

anyway Haunted Mansion because the cart moves around
Davy Jones and Blackbeard were there, then they removed Blackbeard and went back to just Davy Jones. The audio that's there now is the original audio that was there. I think WDW has mermaids in the water

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Is Paris Disney worth seeking out? I don't see us going to Hong Kong or Shanghai any time soon but could see us going to Paris.

Both are older rides so there isn't much that is considered "thrilling" by modern standards. Pirates is kind of a leisurely ride in a boat through scenes of pirates doing pirate things including firing cannons at one another. There is one pretty small drop (Two at another location) that can get you wet but not incredibly so. You might be thinking of Splash Mountain where the ending is a big drop into water and you can get soaked.

The ride you're thinking about with Haunted Mansion is probably Twilight Zone Tower of Terror where you sit and go up and drop a few times. It's been retheamed to Guardians of the Galaxy.
It definitely is.

Pirates and Mansion are fantastic in Paris, and potentially the best of both in some ways.

Also as a side note I find it sad that the days of Disney producing rides not attached to an existing IP a thing of the past. The last time Disney did so was with Mystic Manor and Grizzly Gulch which both showed they're still more than capable, but such rides likely wouldn't be approved nowadays according to insiders. I'm all for having some rides based on existing property, but having unique story experiences in the parks set Disney above everyone else.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
It's been a while since I been there but I just remember it spoiling the spooky atmosphere. That may have just been me wanting to get the Haunted Mansion from my childhood and not some remix.
I guess I can understand this. I'm sure it sucks for some that it lasts for a few months but they update so much in the ride (and have to close it down too for a while) that they probably need a few months to get "their money's worth" from it. But yeah planning a trip to Disney and only being allowed to go in a specific time of the year and not getting the version of HM you want, definitely understand.

Back to the thread at hand, both rides are peak Disney to me but I'll give the nod to HM. It really highlights how amazin Imagineering is.

I still don't really care for the Jack Sparrow updates in Pirates. While it does make more sense for an overall story purpose, I found it charming to just have generic pirates doing their stuff and you yourself create a story in your head. Of course the updates should stay in the lyrics and chasing women stuff, but the original is so timeless to me. Nostalgia is such a powerful tool.