• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Was randomly looking around for copies of the game and google results showed the official website link. I clicked the link and to my surpriuse the site is still up (many other Capcom sites from that era are long gone now). For those who don't know what Haunting Ground is, it's a Survival Horror title released by Capcom in 2005 that has over the years garnered quite the cult status due to its unique Setting/Story and Stalker Gameplay along with its dog companion system. Due to it not being very successful and now highly coveted, complete copies in good condition go for $300+ for a complete copy (Disc only 200+). So to preserve the site in case someone at capcom realizes it's still up, here's everything it has.

*I did not backup the Screenshots as they're very small and from what I could gather are from the final build of the game. Thus there's numerous posts of them on other websites or in other forms in higher quality.
**I was unable to figure out a way to grab the AIM Icons & Footage directly from the website as it uses Flash. So I had to use Screen Capture for both.

==========================================

Site: https://www.capcom.com/hauntingground/gui.html

1mckfz.png

Press Release & Story Overview
CAPCOM SHOWCASES HAUNTING GROUND

FOR THE PLAYSTATION 2 COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM

logowxj80.jpg

-Survival Horror Meets Unique Gameplay Variation-

LAS VEGAS February 2, 2005 Capcom, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, today showcased Haunting Ground for the PlayStation�2 computer entertainment system. This spine-chilling survival horror game is set in a mysterious castle that has become a prison for two innocent characters- an orphaned young girl and a white shepherd dog. They must utilize each others strengths if they hope to escape from their horrifying surroundings. Haunting Ground combines a compelling ambiance of terror and solitude with challenging puzzles and a unique gameplay approach. Haunting Ground will carry an M rating for mature audiences by the ESRB (Entertainment Software Rating Board) and is scheduled for release across North America in May 2005.

In Haunting Ground, players take on the role of Fiona Belli, an 18 year old girl who is the sole survivor of a tragic car accident that has claimed both her parents. When she regains consciousness following the accident, she finds herself locked up in an unfamiliar old castle, with no clear way out. As she makes her way through unsettling surroundings, she encounters an array of strange inhabitants and learns that she has become the heiress of the mysterious castle upon her parents death. Fiona also comes across Debilitas, a deformed and disturbed man who chases her relentlessly. Luckily, she meets a white shepherd dog named Hewie who has also been trapped in the castle. By saving him from the shackles that imprison him, an instant bond is formed.

This is not your typical survival horror game, said Todd Thorson, director of marketing, Capcom Entertainment, Inc. Haunting Ground is a chilling new adventure with a unique twist. Players must utilize the strengths and bond of the character and dog in order to progress through this intense psychological thriller.

Though Fiona is a physically weak character, she must use her wit and cunning to unravel the castle�s puzzles and figure out what is happening and why. Hewie will be a vital resource in surviving this ordeal as he has strengths where Fiona does not. As players develop trust and foster their relationship with Hewie, he will be much more willing to help Fiona progress through the game. He can use his heightened sense of smell to locate items, utilize his smaller size to access hard to reach areas and attack or distract enemies so Fiona can escape their clutches. The success of this partnership will be crucial if they both hope to stay alive.

Haunting Ground includes the following features:

Unique partnership dynamic In order to succeed, players must foster the complex connection between Fiona and Hewie which evolves as the game progresses

Realistic canine model Hewie was created using motion capture and studying a real dog to convey true behavior and movements in the game

o Classic commands including attack, come, go, sit, stay and more

o Hewie displays a variety of reactions to each command

o The stronger the bond between Fiona and Hewie, the more likely he will be to obey her commands

Engrossing atmospheric effects - Extra touches heighten fearful situations:

o Control pad mimics Fiona's pounding heartbeat

o Fiona becomes more difficult to control the more time is spent near an enemy

o If Fiona is not able to escape a threatening scenario, the screen becomes grainy, changing to black and white and eventually sending her into panic mode

o Only by evading the perils can everything return to normal

o Music adapts to gameplay, changing relative to the enemies� proximity and threat level to Fiona

o Enemies can hear and will react to sounds in the game, so Fiona must be careful when treading near them

o Likewise, Hewie can hear noises and alert Fiona to impending danger

Fully interactive environment - Players must cleverly hide behind objects to escape from enemies and utilize objects in the vicinity to solve puzzles

Cinematics directed by Naoto Takenaka � In order to provide the right sense of fear and a haunting atmosphere, Takenaka, a Japanese film director and actor, has been enlisted to manage the in game cut scenes

Capcom is a leading worldwide developer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment. Founded in 1983, the company has created world renowned franchises including Resident Evil, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Breath of Fire, Devil May Cry and the Onimusha series. Headquartered in Osaka, Japan, the company maintains operations in the U.S., United Kingdom, Germany, Tokyo and Hong Kong. More information about Capcom and its products can be found at www.capcom.com.

Website Only Trailer & Gameplay

Character Profiles

Media/AIM Icons:

Wallpapers:

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That's pretty darn cool. Love seeing stuff like this fully preserved. I appreciate the Hewie solo wallpaper too!

Haunting Ground is still one of the all time great horror games.

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
Man, there are so many interesting games I missed out on the PS2 era. I almost bought this game, but passed on it for something else. (ive done this to Eternal Poison and Rule of Rose as well and hate myself for it lol)

Fukuro

Feb 24, 2020
Oh wow I looked a little for this a while back but didn't find it. So cool to see it's still up!

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Always wanted to play this back in the day, super regret not scooping it up back then.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I love the concepts, but hide-and-seek gameplay turned me down... : /

Albeit, I realized not everyone could be like Heather from Silent Hill 3 and use weapons.

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
I remember playing RE5 and saying ''oh, is that Fiona? no, it's Jill? wtf''

The website needs Adobe Flash, that's is old.

My Cow Phelps

Oct 25, 2017
The first chapter of this game was super impressive. The level design was just great: big, open, and there were no loading screen which made the whole hide & seek gameplay very seamless (unlike Clock Tower).

But the level design got worse and worse with each chapter. The latter levels are very linear. This kind of gameplay is just not good in linear levels.

Still very good game overall, but i think Rule of Rose is the better flawed PS2 horror game where you play with a blonde girl and her faithful dog in an european setting.

a4d136e06ad038b83ee93a11cf304d96.jpg