henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Episode 5/6 hype is real. Peak of the show right there. God that 24 minute one take must have been nerve racking to shoot for both the actors and cameramen/lighting operators. Wizards.

Gotta agree with the people who disliked the ending though. I hated and zoned out Steves voiceover. Perhaps it was done that way because they seemed interested in doing an anthology.

Last edited:

Plum

May 31, 2018
Just finished it and I couldn't help but feel that the game "Anatomy" did the whole:

"A 'sentient' house growing hungry and 'eating' its inhabitants thing a lot better. The only thing I could think of when Nell was talking about how the Red Room was the heart/stomach of Hill House was that game.

EDIT: Also, am I the only one dumb enough to not realise that the bearded guy working with Hugh in the 80s was Mr Dudley until the final episodes of the show? I thought he was just some guy working with Hugh and always wondered where "Mr Dudley" was.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so I'm rewatching this and it's somehow better the second time through

I got chills when I realized that the ghost who was spooning with young Theo in episode 3 was actually Nell and that Theo knew it was Nell because they were holding hands. didn't catch that the first time because the bent neck lady reveal was later in the season. it was actually kind of a sweet moment.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I dont know what to think about the ending. And the Ms. Poppins stuff didnt fit that well imo.

But wow, what a great tv series. Best one I have seen from Netflix yet tbh.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
This show was phenomenal. The ending didn't hold up as well of the rest sadly. Still, overall a knockout project

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
The first two eps were boring af. Tell me it gets better as I have to watch it since I am leading an undergrad research project on it.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The first two eps were boring af. Tell me it gets better as I have to watch it since I am leading an undergrad research project on it.

episode 5 and 6 are the peak of the series but if you're not feeling it by now they might not be enough

but you've gotta watch anyway so who knows, maybe you'll end up liking it

Deleted member 38227

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
episode 5 and 6 are the peak of the series but if you're not feeling it by now they might not be enough

but you've gotta watch anyway so who knows, maybe you'll end up liking it
The student stated that there was an episode that tied the cartography of the house together in an interesting way. So I have to get to that ep at least.

Culex

Oct 29, 2017
So episode 5 was simply fantastic. The way it finally ended...I was literally thinking "what the fuck?!" Some of you may laugh, but it's the greatest piece of TV viewing since the moment of "we have to go back!" in Lost.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
So episode 5 was simply fantastic. The way it finally ended...I was literally thinking "what the fuck?!" Some of you may laugh, but it's the greatest piece of TV viewing since the moment of "we have to go back!" in Lost.

Completely agree. I've never seen a situation portrayed quite like that before on tv.

Monkey D.

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Agree. Episode 5 was so great. I was thinking about that episode even 2 days later.

Finished the season yesterday. Didnt expect the show do be like that at the end when i started watching it.

But again episode 5 was so great. Literally a o my god moment. Goosebumps thinking about it again.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree the ending is meh but the season as a whole was great. The bent neck lady episode and the build up to it is some of the best tv I have ever seen.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty interesting rewatching the 1999 film "The Haunting" and seeing all the references also used in this version. There's even the same spiral staircase. The CGI is horrible though, and the house is absurdly huge and ridiculous, and Catherine Zeta-Jones as Theo is constantly breaking out of her American accent.

3bdelilah

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
do you read OPs

it's been two weeks

I have, but it's a silly rule. How does a Netflix show differ from a regular show that does have its separate OT and Spoiler Thread? Also, how can one expect an OT to last more than a few months with a fresh influx of new watchers if people here discuss critical plot spoilers so openly?

umbrella corp.

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Nov 2, 2018
I watched the whole series... in 24 hours. Ouch, first time I do this with a series since the first dexter seasons. It was incredible, it's up there with breaking bad and dexter seasons 1-4 for me. Top notch series. I was a bit disapointed with the ending but that's my only small negative with the show.

The moment in the series I actually felt sick (and angry) wasn't even a ghost or scary moment, it was:

:)

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How does a Netflix show differ from a regular show that does have its separate OT and Spoiler Thread? Also, how can one expect an OT to last more than a few months with a fresh influx of new watchers if people here discuss critical plot spoilers so openly?

Regular show threads have their episodes openly discussed as soon as the episode begins airing. No one makes separate spoiler threads for them.

Also I don't see how it's any better for the OT to use spoiler tags forever and forever. 2 weeks is a good enough leniency period to wait for people to binge it. It's been over a month anyways.

Oct 25, 2017
the spoiler rule really sucks for shows that aren't already established things -- like, this is a series people are rolling into over time as word of mouth spreads, and to have people just dunk major spoilers in the middle of it feels super lame to me -- like, half of the last few pages are people just finishing episode five or six. it isn't at all comparable to the standard TV show model, it's way more like a game.

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't, my mistake, sorry!

Finished it last night and while I get the amount of negativity the last episode gets, it didn't bother me that much. Really like the soundtrack in this too, great main theme!

It would have been better if it showed all them eventually dying in the house in one way or another. Maybe a quick montage or something. To show that once the house has its clutches in you, you can never escape it.

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I Started this show last week, watching one episode per night (with the lights out of course).
It is not scary though, the most "scary" part to me was the scene in episode 4 when kid Luke saw the tall guy.
That was very chilling.

I'm in episode 7 and overall the show is great.
You were right about episode 5 and 6 at being the best

Oct 28, 2017
I was so frustrated after

Nells funeral. Shit just got so annoying with all of the family bickering. Nothing interesting was going on. Now things are getting back on track with the house and its relationship with the Crains.

Though its hard to believe these people bought a house and never bothered to look inside the Red Room. Or people who buy a house and dont get it inspected.

Good grief.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was so frustrated after

Nells funeral. Shit just got so annoying with all of the family bickering. Nothing interesting was going on. Now things are getting back on track with the house and its relationship with the Crains.

Though its hard to believe these people bought a house and never bothered to look inside the Red Room. Or people who buy a house and dont get it inspected.

Good grief.
They bought it to flip it, it's a huge house, and we have no reason to think there wasn't an inspection fo some kind.

Oct 28, 2017
I just finished it but I don't understand

The red room is a room each of them lived a fantasy in. But none of them ever went into the room. How could Luke's treehouse be in that room? Shirley heard pounding on the door which was actually Nel and Theo trying the master key on the lock. Is there some timey wimey business going on too like how Nel described? I'm so confused by that bit of the story.

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017

The red room is a room each of them lived a fantasy in. But none of them ever went into the room. How could Luke's treehouse be in that room? Shirley heard pounding on the door which was actually Nel and Theo trying the master key on the lock. Is there some timey wimey business going on too like how Nel described? I'm so confused by that bit of the story.
But that's the thing, they really all did go into the room. The house just showed them what they wanted, as it wants them to feel comfortable there. The house wants nothing more than for everyone to stay forever.

Oct 28, 2017
But that's the thing, they really all did go into the room. The house just showed them what they wanted, as it wants them to feel comfortable there. The house wants nothing more than for everyone to stay forever.

But nobody had been in the room yet everyone had and nobody seemed to be in the room with another person. It just seems like they pulled that out of their ass at the last minute.

It was a fun show with a few episodes where I hated everyone and got bored with their drama. I hope they don't do another season as the Crane family story has been told. If they do then it ought to be a story with something to say and not just a cash grab.

Zackat

Oct 25, 2017
But nobody had been in the room yet everyone had and nobody seemed to be in the room with another person. It just seems like they pulled that out of their ass at the last minute.

It was a fun show with a few episodes where I hated everyone and got bored with their drama. I hope they don't do another season as the Crane family story has been told. If they do then it ought to be a story with something to say and not just a cash grab.
Steven visited Luke in his treehouse. There were some timeline inconsistencies with episode openings and such that I did find confusing, particularly since they involved the respective red door rooms for some of the kids. But I suspect that was them alluding to the theme of time not flowing in a straight line.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017

They most certainly had been in the room. They just didn't realize it. What they saw was them climbing into a treehouse, or walking into a reading room, etc..., but if you had a camera in that hallway, you'd probably see them zonked out and drifting into the room. We already know the house can make you hallucinate; that happened multiple times.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished it and I loved it from start to finish. I didn't have any problem with the ending like some people have. It felt thematically in line with all of the emotional beats throughout the series. It's a series about a family with deep issues and how they resolve them. The ending would always be able how they resolve their pain - not them coming back to defeat the house.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
I just finished and I loved loved loved the show. Like all horror shows and movies, it sort of falls apart near the end especially when the monsters are shown too much or explained but the whole back and forth with the present and past was very well done. The episodes in the middle, basically ep2-8 were done so fucking well. The one shot take which lasted almost half the episode in Two Storms had me in awe!

Carla Gugino is marvel and beautiful even at almost 50. The Bent Neck Lady episode left me really disturbed.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Very, I didnt see that one coming. Freaked out when we finally saw it on the ceiling.

I'm blanking here, what episode and scene are you referring to here?

k

As someone said, the house is basically tricking them into not knowing they were in the room. Steve and his dad even have a conversation about it as they're driving to the house at the end, because his father reveals there was no tree house at all. I think the time stuff is really a cool addition to the haunting aspect of the house and somewhat new and fresh to the haunted house genre.