• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I haven't had the time to play Chinese Paladin yet, although I do own it. I do know that CP6 has a better translation than both Wuxia games. Both Wuxia games have less than stellar translations, but as games, they are really fun to play. I know of two topics on GAF that discuss each game. I will PM you the threads. The posts are long, but extremely well written. If you are interested, they would do the games more justice then I ever could.
Got the PM. Thanks, will take a look. Been reading bunch of Wuxia novels lately so this would fit just right :).

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to also plug Splasher. It's a delight to play and doesn't overstay its welcome. Has some real neat tricks.

It's made by a small team who worked on the recent Rayman platformers.

jackal27

Oct 25, 2017
Joplin, MO
Wow this thread is amazing! So many games that flew under my radar. What an incredible time to be playing video games.

Detention in particular looks very much My Kind Of Thing. Thanks OP!

Pvax

Dec 11, 2017
Some very very cool stuff in this thread that I may have not seen otherwise. So ... now the wishlist and possible backlog grows even longer :)

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
As someone who has been away from the gaming scene for the last two years I'm so grateful for this thread. I remember when they announced Rain World and I was excited for it, I'm just glad it came out and did fine.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but if so it definitely deserves being mentioned again:

dfc0f21b6ddc2ec172d4c754c9a6c5498e2dc682.gif

Bleed 2. The bundle with the first Bleed can be found on Steam here.

One of the best 2D action games ever made, maybe even Top 5. The perfection of Mega Man x Contra. You can even do pure sword runs and play it like Zero from X4. So. Good.

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
This thread reminded me to check out Observer. Love the cyberpunk aesthetic!

Little Nightmares too. I can only contribute Gravity Rush 2 to this thread. Seems like it was forgotten.

Swenhir

Oct 28, 2017
This thread is great. I'm having a tabsplosion with so many good recommendations, thank you people. This has been a great year outside of the AAA world.

For my recommendation, I'm not sureStarsectorcounts because it is still far from release and isn't even on sale on Steam. The thing is, the already playable alpha is grabbing my attention in ways I didn't think a top-down, 2D space game could. I was looking for a space game that could run on a low-spec laptop and I came across it by chance. The game is basically a fleet commander simulation with particularly deep and interesting battle mechanics with a very detailed world simulation. It has the kind of mechanics that just make logical sense and are deep enough to be very interesting with layers appearing as you progress. Highly promising and sorry I can't properly describe it.

For games released in 2017, I have to echo what many others have said. Pyre isn't exactly low-profile but the story hit me hard and I couldn't let go until I finished it. I didn't give a chance to the gameplay to shine as I played on an easy difficulty but the setting, story and atmosphere alone kept me awake and thinking. It really was about the journey but the destination was also worth reaching which is a rare things for games, all things considered. Many games botch their ending, don't focus on it or it just isn't a really satisfying conclusion. It wasn't the case here. The UI aesthetic and implementation alone are also a triumph. Highly recommended.

Also second Rime as a very good game. There's something about its atmosphere that got me through some dark times this year and it was my go-to game to recover. Brilliant game and stunning art direction/environments.