ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
This past week has been the first real cold week we've had since March. It's a bit earlier than normal and I wasn't totally prepared for it. The bartenders in my city sure were though.

Every cocktail special I've seen this week has been hot toddies. And why not? They're the perfect winter drink for sitting around and not doing much of anything. They're simple and easily adaptable- all you need is hot water, a dark liquor in the whiskey family, and some sort of citrus/spices/sugar. Many people just use tea and then add whiskey and some honey. I have one in hand- I picked up some basic herbal teas and put in a shot of a local apple cider moonshine which goes great, then added honey and a cinnamon stick. Warm, refreshing drink that isn't too sweet.

They also soothe throats during your inevitable winter cold. If you're not on some sort of cold remedy that conflicts with alcohol, a hot toddy is the best drink to help relax and put you to sleep. Try it out the next time you feel a sore throat coming on.

1920px-Hot_toddy_%281%29.jpg

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
Big fan. I usually do:

2oz Wild Turkey 101
3/4 oz lemon juice
3/4 oz 3:1 honey syrup

And i'll either use 4oz freshly brewed black tea or just 4oz hot water. A real treat when you're not feeling the best.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
The best hot toddy I ever made was rooibos/red tea, Asbach brandy, and honey.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
So is the side car. Actually a lot of cocktails are underrated. Still moreso enjoy cocktail bars with their own rotating drink menu.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Perfect for right after shoveling snow for 2 hours.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Cinnamon stick, star anise or cloves do a lot for this drink - in moderation.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Would enjoy them more if I didn't almost completely avoid hot drinks. Flavors are nice tho

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
There's a cocktail bar near me that I've had a few of these at. They also do a hot cinnamon and apple one, a hot caramel banana, and one that tastes like eating a plat of hot waffles (maple syrup and the like).

God I love cocktails. If only I could convince drunk me to recognise that they contain more than one standard drink and cost me $20 a pop.

Zippedpinhead

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
Thread inspired me to make my own today. Black long leaf tea, cinnamon, blue note whiskey and some honey.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I grew up drinking hot wassail during the holidays. This almost sounds like a "hard" version of that beverage. I need to try it