OP
OP
manustany

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
why the QLED preference? Had the (unfortunate) pleasure of having a Q8FN QLED and also a LG C8 for about a week side by side and PERSONALLY thought the OLED shined in almost every metric.

I played (and watched movies) on a 55E6V-Z several times and honestly, despite the perfect blacks, I still prefer a QLED panel. Maybe it's the brightness, maybe the better HDR, maybe it's just me!

Oct 30, 2017
do you happen to remember what the lowest you've seen on the C9 is? 55 inch
I bought mine for $1500. There's some open-box listings you can find for ~$1300 but C9s are still maintaining their price. I have mine on a Best Buy payment plan to help reduce the sticker shock. So far, I love it. Absolutely bonkers image quality although I'm still tinkering with the Game mode picture settings to hit the sweet spot.

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what you're even arguing now. The amount of TVs with HDMI 2.1 compliant VRR support without full HDMI 2.1 support is miniscule.

I'm not arguing anything.

Anyone considering a Samsung TV. BEWARE! The picture quality sinks dramatically during game mode.

yeah, i was looking into samsung TVs and it seems their lineup this year wasn't the best.

game modes are usually quite good in my experience, too. :(

Sep 21, 2019
C9 ALL THE WAY.

I've got 55 inch for gaming monitor for PC and a 77 inch for living room movies and PS4 and TV.

Worth. Every. Fucking. Cent.

Go to greentoe.com Just got my 77 inch at almost 1,000 off retail price.

OP
OP
manustany

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
I recently purchased a TV under 50".

After researching, TVs that are 50" or smaller are severely lacking. They are completely gimped compared to their 55" counterparts.

For example, the latest Samsung 49" inch models removed 120hz AND freesync compared to the 55"+ version.

I just ended up buying a sony 49" x900f that has 120hz (not for 4k though) panel and is 2 years old, but has amazing picture quality and HDR.

You can wait and hope for one to come out that can check all the boxes, but you'll be paying up (and then you'll be near the 48" OLED price levels) and waiting for sure.

Thanks for the clarification about the new 49 inches from Samsung. I knew both Q60T and Q80T doesn't have HDMI 2.1 but why no freesync? I don't have enough space for a 55' 😅

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't surprise me as it seems like a rare occurrence nowadays. Where is that information, though? I don't see anything to say whether or not there is or isn't new protections in place.

There is no new mode for burn in prevention since the Logo Luminance mode that was introduced with the C8. Also AFAIK the panels have been looked and there has not been an increasment of subpixels sizes since (again) the C8.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I bought mine for $1500. There's some open-box listings you can find for ~$1300 but C9s are still maintaining their price. I have mine on a Best Buy payment plan to help reduce the sticker shock. So far, I love it. Absolutely bonkers image quality although I'm still tinkering with the Game mode picture settings to hit the sweet spot.

thats around what I'm finding now. Good idea with the payment plan, I might do that. Most I've ever spent on a tv was like $500 and that was an open box Sony x800D. I know I'm going to be kicking myself if it sells out everywhere and I miss it

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
I have about $700 to spend on a new tv and will likely be in the market for it in late June/early July. I doubt I'll be able to get in on anything that has hdmi 2.1. What would I be missing out on, specifically regarding gaming?

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'm waiting until later in the year or early next year before buying a new TV, so I can get the best spec TV I can for next gen and my Panasonic UB820 4k Player. No point buying too early.

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm saving up for C9 this year. CX seems like more or less the same of C9 and costs a lot more, at least here in Russia.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It has Filmmaker mode, a better processor, and I'm sure a few other bells and whistles. I'd imagine even better protection against burn-in. I hemmed and hawed between it and the C9. I found for the price, the C9 would get me all the future-proofing I'd need for this generation. It's amazing. I'd feel great about a CX purchase after time with this model too. Just a really solid line from LG. From UI, to features, to the remote and it's intuitive design. Of course, the picture is astounding as well.
Filmmaker mode is just Technicolour with Warm2 instead of Warm1 white balance to be honest, which is why it replaced that mode on the X series TV's.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
I've got my eye open.

Looks like LG CX 55 is the way to go. Don't want burn in. Don't care for LG. But it's the best one available when you get a warranty that covers burn in.

I just need to hear from Sony/Microsoft that the 2.1 in these is absolutely sufficient for the next 4-5 years

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the clarification about the new 49 inches from Samsung. I knew both Q60T and Q80T doesn't have HDMI 2.1 but why no freesync? I don't have enough space for a 55' 😅

Yep, i lack the space for anything over 50" too since it was going in the bedroom.

Be very careful when buying a 49" TV to make sure it actually includes the features you want. It's very easy to see a lineup of TVs and read their features, and then later realize it doesn't apply to the 49" version.

Don't be this guy.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Filmmaker mode is just Technicolour with Warm2 instead of Warm1 white balance to be honest, which is why it replaced that mode on the X series TV's.
Before my purchase, I saw someone say something similar. It was never going to be a reason for me to choose the CX over the 9. The future-proofing with being update-able longer was the only thing making me consider it.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have about $700 to spend on a new tv and will likely be in the market for it in late June/early July. I doubt I'll be able to get in on anything that has hdmi 2.1. What would I be missing out on, specifically regarding gaming?
4K 120FPS, VRR.

Can you not save a bit longer? Since the new consoles won't be due until around October/November anyway.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017

Most of HDMi 2.1's features are of benefit to gamers.
  • Increased bandwidth to allow both 4k and 120hz simultaneously (alongside HDR)
Whilst these 2 things together are unlikely to happen at max values simultaneously very often, I'm sure there will be examples of games that do both (particularly those games that are already 4k 60fps on current gen machines)
It also means you don't have to be in and our of your SX/PS5 video menus constantly switching between resolution and framerate focused outputs.

• Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) - Disables and enables game mode depending on content. Useful if you use video apps or the UHD player
  • Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) -reduces stutter, tearing and input latency.
  • Quick Frame Transport (QFT) Reduces input latency for non VRR panels
  • Quick Media Switching (QMS)- resolution/refresh rate change without screen blanking

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
Well, my trusty Vizio P65 from three years ago will be relegated to secondary room duty while still doing 1080p120hz, localized dimming, Dolby Vision... can't complain.

The C9 looks NICE.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Most of HDMi 2.1's features are of benefit to gamers.
  • Increased bandwidth to allow both 4k and 120hz simultaneously (alongside HDR)
Whilst these 2 things together are unlikely to happen at max values simultaneously very often, I'm sure there will be examples of games that do both (particularly those games that are already 4k 60fps on current gen machines)
It also means you don't have to be in and our of your SX/PS5 video menus constantly switching between resolution and framerate focused outputs.

• Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM) - Disables and enables game mode depending on content. Useful if you use video apps or the UHD player
  • Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) -reduces stutter, tearing and input latency.
  • Quick Frame Transport (QFT) Reduces input latency for non VRR panels
  • Quick Media Switching (QMS)- resolution/refresh rate change without screen blanking
4K120 will be rare, but HDMI 2.1 is required for 10 bit 4K60 4:4:4 with HDR, which isn't an exotic scenario at all.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Any chances low to mid-budget 2020 TVs will have HDMI 2.1 or that is only for the highest tier?

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So is the recurring theme to go with the LG OLED TVs?

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I would recommend every wait for next year models and not get what's out or coming out soon. That way we can see what will work with what

Currently slumming with an imperfect C8, which was kind of a regrettable purchase (I could have grabbed one locally at Best Buy for $2000 last March, but was waiting for the C9 specs/price and missed my opportunity, so I ended up having to get it online for the same amount in April, which also made it a lot harder to return). I had to get a new TV in any event though since my previous had died after two and a half years.

Unless the next-gen consoles have some godly "must have" early titles, I'll likely be good until at least 2022 and by that point I could either get a CXI, CXII (or however they they name them), or maybe even better an mLED.

The C8 with my PC will run every game v-synced to 4K60 and also supports 1440p120 but haven't tried anything 1440p yet.

Does that actually work? I haven't had any reason to bother with that yet, but I read that you can only get 120fps at 1080p.

Last edited:

X-Frame

Oct 25, 2017
I can only fit 55" on my current living room stand, so between the C9 and the CX new it is a difference of $300 currently. It's tempting for either. I'm currently using the KS8000 Samsung.

Possum

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I'm waiting to see TCL's new lineup. They've already promised an update for their 6-Series TV's to support VRR. I'm expecting even better features when they finally show what they've got cooking for their new line. I currently game on a 55" KS8000 which is great, but I have a 55" TCL R615 in another room just for general TV watching ,and for the money, it's pretty amazing. It's also considered to be a really good gaming TV with super low input lag.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
LG C9
LG OLEDs are GOAT

My main reason for not upgrading from B7 to C9 is I'm worried there is a chance half step consoles will be 8k this time
Also there is no way in hell these consoles will run 4k120, so I figure I'll wait until the next console refresh for a new TV

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Burn-in being a possibility makes OLED a no buy for me.

The quality is insane on OLED but I keep my tv on almost all the time so I'm a little afraid of this.

Dabanton

Oct 27, 2017
Buying a TV these last few years is as hard and complex as considering what car to buy :D

I finally want to get a TV this year with the new consoles, but we'll see.

Evuk

Oct 28, 2017
So im very interested in getting the LG CX 48 for use as my PC monitor as well as next gen console gaming display.
I'm really worried about burn-in especially when it comes to windows taskbar always on all the time when not playing games.
Is there any kind of setting windows has built-in to maybe change where the pixels are and offset them by 1 or 2 pixels on the screen to keep it from burning in?
(not sure if that makes sense to anyone)...

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
So im very interested in getting the LG CX 48 for use as my PC monitor as well as next gen console gaming display.
I'm really worried about burn-in especially when it comes to windows taskbar always on all the time when not playing games.
Is there any kind of setting windows has built-in to maybe change where the pixels are and offset them by 1 or 2 pixels on the screen to keep it from burning in?
(not sure if that makes sense to anyone)...

The TV does that itself, it will also dim if it detects no movement. You could always set a screensaver to go to a black screen after 30 seconds

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Does the g-sync in the C9 work without any problems? I know they added it as an update rather than building the TV with it

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm currently looking up the prices of the LGs and I gotta say I'm tempted, I really am, but without knowing what next gen looks software wise...

It's a hard call. I think what we consider "launch window" might extend all the way to 2022 software wise due to COVID, so I'm thinking about holding off until then.

Are the current TV prices also due to COVID? Or is the current range what I would expect normally?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
LG C9
LG OLEDs are GOAT

My main reason for not upgrading from B7 to C9 is I'm worried there is a chance half step consoles will be 8k this time
Also there is no way in hell these consoles will run 4k120, so I figure I'll wait until the next console refresh for a new TV
I'll be shocked if half steps get to play one thing at 8k reliably in any way. 8k feels like such a waste.