• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Ugh... welcome to Fight Club?

Online, there are numerous groups and forums where people dealing with cancer can share their experiences.

(Stephany) Angelacos researched her disease and its treatments, and then, inspired by how knowledgeable everyone was, decided to found her own invite-only breast-cancer Facebook group that same year.

Today, this group has grown to 1,700 members.

The members comfort one another, organize fundraisers, and coordinate visits to those who are alone at the end of their lives. Angelacos, who has now completed active treatment, oversees many of these efforts.

Over the past year, one of the group's more active and popular members was Marissa Marchand. She quickly became close to many women in the group, and received an outpouring of sympathy, money, and gifts—including expensive wigs—to help defray the costs of medical care and raising her family.

Marchand's posts gradually became more extreme, the group's members say. She wrote that her son was being bullied over her diagnosis, and that her dog had been shot. Then, in December, according to Angelacos, Marchand announced that she was out of treatment options. Her cancer had spread to all of her major organs. She didn't have much time left to live. Soon, she stopped posting.

Around the time Marchand stopped posting in the Facebook group, she was arrested in Colorado for faking terminal cancer on the crowdfunding platform GoFundMe and accepting donations through multiple accounts. It seemed she had faked her illness to the Facebook group, too. At trial, she pleaded guilty and was sentenced to community service. "The entire group was devastated, angry, and in a state of disbelief,

As harrowing as the experience can be for those involved, people in online cancer support groups are routinely outed as healthy.

Among the internet's cancer communities, it's an often acknowledged problem, albeit still a shocking one. Among 10 people from three groups I spoke with recently, every person recalled someone being outed for faking in their communities at least once, if not more.

This condition of faking illness online has a name: "Munchausen by internet," or MBI. It's a form of factitious disorder, the mental disorder formerly known as Munchausen syndrome, in which people feign illness or actually make themselves sick for sympathy and attention. According to Marc Feldman, the psychiatrist at the University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa who coined the term MBI back in 2000, people with the condition are often motivated to lie by a need to control the reactions of others, particularly if they feel out of control in their own lives.

More at the link: https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2019/05/faking-cancer-online/588334/

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Makes sense. Hell, I could see myself doing this if I were in a state of depression and felt helpless and just wanted people to give me some sort of sympathetic attention.

Oct 25, 2017
So they do it for the attention and to join support groups? that sucks but it totally makes sense.

Last edited:

gnilres

Oct 28, 2017
Rl7WlVN.jpg

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The wife of one of my work friends is currently serving 10 years for accepting donations for a non-existent cancer.

Dec 24, 2017
This happens all the time. I've seen people pull the Ed Norton at the cancer group I attend. The worse person off the top of my head was a guy who claimed his kid had Hodgkin's, which has a great survival rate. But he tried to get us to donate for his treatment and electronics and all this shit. I remember knowing he was an asshole when he asked me for cannabis after a meeting. Like a half oz. For free. From behind the wheel of his A6.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
This happens all the time. I've seen people pull the Ed Norton at the cancer group I attend. The worse person off the top of my head was a guy who claimed his kid had Hodgkin's, which has a great survival rate. But he tried to get us to donate for his treatment and electronics and all this shit. I remember knowing he was an asshole when he asked me for cannabis after a meeting. Like a half oz. For free. From behind the wheel of his A6.
Sounds like the kind of shit that would make me stop going to support groups altogether (assuming I'd need it). Assholes ruining it for everyone

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
This pisses me the hell off. As someone who just got through the final stages of recovery, i have the scars, the missing hair, the pain of dealing with it all. And i still consider i got off lucky compared to others. And some people want to fake that shit for some online sympathy? I almost wish they get actual cancer if they're so desperate to see what it feels like.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Once again greed is robbing the needy, i'm seeing it happen all to much, think that someone out there who genuinely needed all this stuff could have benefited.

Dec 24, 2017
Sounds like the kind of shit that would make me stop going to support groups altogether (assuming I'd need it). Assholes ruining it for everyone

Honestly, I go to support groups now to hand out special cookies/butter to people/caretakers who can't afford or have access to it otherwise. And I give out hugs too. Only downside is having to bake an extra batch for the nurses/staff. I'm pretty sure they know what I'm up to. But in the kitchen anyway, might as well make everyone cookies. (I've since learned to bake the nurse cookies first and label that container "Nurses." I had an issue where I had to go back home because I forgot which tub was which and test the cookies out.)
This pisses me the hell off. As someone who just got through the final stages of recovery, i have the scars, the missing hair, the pain of dealing with it all. And i still consider i got off lucky compared to others. And some people want to fake that shit for some online sympathy? I almost wish they get actual cancer if they're so desperate to see what it feels like.

How are you doing, man? Holding up? Getting stronger?

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Remember the ex-moderator on the ex-forum that got like $10k from the community to pay for their mom's dialysis and most likely spent it on drugs and got arrested later for CP.

Oct 25, 2017
The wife of one of my work friends is currently serving 10 years for accepting donations for a non-existent cancer.
They're still married???

Remember the ex-moderator on the ex-forum that got like $10k from the community to pay for their mom's dialysis and most likely spent it on drugs and got arrested later for CP.

Damn, somehow I must have missed this. How did they get outed?

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Because being a cancer patient isn't hard enough already without adding the scenario of people not believing you.

I know that factitious disorders are illnesses in their own right, but it's one of those cases where I'm still angry at the people who do it because it's so harmful to others.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
In retrospect yea that fucker probably did bs the whole thing.

Anyway cancer runs in my family and has taken a few of my loved ones. Needless to say I got less then happy feelings towards people that would fake having it for attention.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I used to feign illness when I was a depressed teenager. Never anything as serious as cancer, but fevers and crazy dizziness yeah. This one is straight up scamming though.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I go to support groups now to hand out special cookies/butter to people/caretakers who can't afford or have access to it otherwise. And I give out hugs too. Only downside is having to bake an extra batch for the nurses/staff. I'm pretty sure they know what I'm up to. But in the kitchen anyway, might as well make everyone cookies. (I've since learned to bake the nurse cookies first and label that container "Nurses." I had an issue where I had to go back home because I forgot which tub was which and test the cookies out.)

How are you doing, man? Holding up? Getting stronger?

As of now, I am doing great. I was diagnosed with a medium grade Hodgkin's Lymphoma in the lymph node in my neck. Surgery was done to remove most of it, with 20 treatments of radiation to finish it off.

I still get some fatigue (which they told me could take up to 6 months to fully go away) and some things still taste funny, but the worst was during and immediately after the radiation. my entire throat/neck felt like it was on fire for 3 weeks straight while it was healing from the radiation burns. It was to the point where i almost decided the cancer was the better option. Also they had to cut through a nerve in my face to get to it, so i no longer have feeling on the left side of my face.

But thank you, and you are an awesome person for dedicating your time to help people like that. I started doing support groups, and started offering some basic PC classes and tech support to some of the older patients there. When i heard some people were on their 50th treatment or something nuts, I knew i could get past 20, and there are some who were off so much worse than I was.

Jul 18, 2018
This happens a lot at places like Alcohol Anonymous. I was forced to go to AA during college because we hosted an underage drinking party (we were too) that led to a non invited frat group coming and we all got in a major fight and they broke shit in the hallway. So the security was called but our RA vouched for us but in return our entire suite (4ppl) had to all go to AA.

@AA, there were some people we recognized that literally are 100% sober people. They don't even drink nor have ever touched a bottle, some we know well. They were surprised to see us. Learned later from them, they attended because they were depressed and lonely, and the group had avenues/solutions that have helped them in different ways. Support groups in a nutshell, you will find outliers. But i got to say that the experience of going was great, it really does open up ways for people to at least find some consultation without being judged.

But yea when it comes to getting $ or things in return for faking shit... yikes.

Dec 24, 2017
As of now, I am doing great. I was diagnosed with a medium grade Hodgkin's Lymphoma in the lymph node in my neck. Surgery was done to remove most of it, with 20 treatments of radiation to finish it off.

I still get some fatigue (which they told me could take up to 6 months to fully go away) and some things still taste funny, but the worst was during and immediately after the radiation. my entire throat/neck felt like it was on fire for 3 weeks straight while it was healing from the radiation burns. It was to the point where i almost decided the cancer was the better option. Also they had to cut through a nerve in my face to get to it, so i no longer have feeling on the left side of my face.

But thank you, and you are an awesome person for dedicating your time to help people like that. I started doing support groups, and started offering some basic PC classes and tech support to some of the older patients there. When i heard some people were on their 50th treatment or something nuts, I knew i could get past 20, and there are some who were off so much worse than I was.

Man, you're awesome too!

Its really difficult to see beyond yourself when you are going through chemo and radiation, because hands down, worst experience of my life. But then you see people who have it so much worse. The best thing I got out of cancer was wanting to be kinder and more compassionate.

Buddy1103

Jan 8, 2019
the internet also has a problem of using the word cancer way too liberally to describe anything unpleasant. specially in gaming i always hear people say something like ''that team is cancer'' or ''this map is cancer'' and i always just cringe.

Oct 29, 2017
I tend to assume that everyone on the internet is lying, or at least exaggerating. It is what it is. Strangers on the internet have no incentive to be truthful with you.

Scamming for money is a whole different thing though.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
why are some in here trying to make this seem like this isn't a big deal? THIS IS WRONG! and fuck people who do this. Get attention some where else.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Wow.. how fucking sad can you be? That's terrible. Acting like you have cancer............. just... fucking hell.
This. How can people fake it and not think of the actual victims.
Never wish cancer upon them though. We don't know the underlying reason for their actions. But i can understand.

Oh fuck, the same as what i had. Stage 2 Hodgkin. In my neck and between the lungs. First one removed in the neck, then lots of chemo and then radiation. It reduced me to a shadow of myself. But here i am, 16 years later, happy as a dog with seven dicks.

Good luck with your recovery!

Last edited:

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, that this would happen is fairly obvious but frankly i'd like to get some numbers on this because even i haven't heard anything beyond singular cases and repeats of "everyone knows at least one". It's definitely sad but i'm skeptical if it's somehow enough to mistrust fundraising by default.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that this would happen is fairly obvious but frankly i'd like to get some numbers on this because even i haven't heard anything beyond singular cases and repeats of "everyone knows at least one". It's definitely sad but i'm skeptical if it's somehow enough to mistrust fundraising by default.
Well it's probably in the 1 or fewer percent range. But it's still enough to destroy Goodwill. I agree with you though. It shouldn't stop people from helping others, but it can and will.

sgtnosboss

Nov 9, 2017
Someones wife at work did this. I was blown away because the husband is very nice. I still have so many questions, but it would be wrong of me to ask.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
This is just the logical conclusion of you as a kid faking a fever to avoid going to school.

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Jesus, I felt bad about accepting some money from a friend while I was undergoing treatment for testicular cancer a little over a year ago. And that was only $50!

Fuck anyone willing to grift false sympathy and/or thousands of dollars in cash and resources. That's just beyond the pale

BuckRogers

Apr 5, 2018
Weirdly, I had someone at work accuse me of lying about my sister's cancer diagnosis last year. I didn't even bring it up unless people asked, and while I was talking to other people about it, this random person started asking questions. When I didn't answer to his satisfaction he accused me of making it up.

When my sister died, he came by and tried to apologize. Turns out he had dealt with exactly this in a support group and was therefore sensitive about it.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

The fact that I had to pause to think about WHICH mod you were talking about, because there two of them involved in CP, says it all...

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Wow.. how fucking sad can you be? That's terrible. Acting like you have cancer............. just... fucking hell.

This. How can people fake it and not think of the actual victims.
Never wish cancer upon them though. We don't know the underlying reason for their actions. But i can understand.

Oh fuck, the same as what i had. Stage 2 Hodgkin. In my neck and between the lungs. First one removed in the neck, then lots of chemo and then radiation. It reduced me to a shadow of myself. But here i am, 16 years later, happy as a dog with seven dicks.

Good luck with your recovery!

It's really cool to see some other stories of recovery. I was fortunate. I can't imagine the stress chemo puts on a body.

Glad you pulled through too!