• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
There are so many apps, with no advanced search - and the problem is so many are garbage.

I am trying to find a jigsaw puzzle game for my iPad where its a one time fee - maybe downloadable DLC packs I can live with. No ads, no 9.99 weekly subscription, no crystal gems. It's impossible. Every fucking app asks to track you. It eats my battery alive.

Last month, I tried to find a scrabble game. Everything has gems, ads, subscriptions, timers, crystals. Like for fucks sake.Its god damn scrabble. Why are there fucking crystals Its impossible. I can't be the only one who notices this across basically every app.

Not sure if its a problem on Android as I am an apple ecosystem guy, but this is killing me here.

Anyways, can anyone find a jigsaw puzzle app that isn't an ad-ridden subscription mess?

It genuinely makes me want to learn to code, and put out a free jigsaw puzzle game wth tons and tons of puzzles.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
There are so many apps, with no advanced search - and the problem is so many are garbage.

I am trying to find a jigsaw puzzle game for my iPad where its a one time fee - maybe downloadable DLC packs I can live with. No ads, no 9.99 weekly subscription, no crystal gems. It's impossible. Every fucking app asks to track you. It eats my battery alive.

Last month, I tried to find a scrabble game. Everything has gems, ads, subscriptions, timers, crystals. Like for fucks sake.Its god damn scrabble. Why are there fucking crystals Its impossible. I can't be the only one who notices this across basically every app.

Not sure if its a problem on Android as I am an apple ecosystem guy, but this is killing me here.

Anyways, can anyone find a jigsaw puzzle app that isn't an ad-ridden subscription mess?

It genuinely makes me want to learn to code, and put out a free jigsaw puzzle game wth tons and tons of puzzles.
Would you rather have it ask to track you, or just do it by default?

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Apple Arcade feels like a test balloon for a subscription-only App Store with curation and quality controls.

OP
OP
Stat

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Apple Arcade feels like a test balloon for a subscription-only App Store with curation and quality controls.
I hope so. It really feels like a mess. I feel like super early on it was actually kinda curated in terms of the App Store news/recos - or at least half decent. Now, its all advertorials about how great Mario Run is.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Yeah it's a case where making it "simple" kinda defeats being able to actually search for things outside "I'll just keep scrolling".

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
People still download apps? Outside of like 4, I never do

OP
OP
Stat

Stat

Oct 25, 2017

.....You're kidding right? You think the vast majority of people don't download apps at all, or even like 10+?

Yeah it's a case where making it "simple" kinda defeats being able to actually search for things outside "I'll just keep scrolling".

Yeah I get the simplicity but at some point, its insane. I think its just more every app used to be a race to the bottom of 99 cent, 1.99, and now its all about the subscription/data.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah it is a race to the bottom. Free apps with ads and data harvesting was the outcome.

Apple Arcade is a nice counter to that, but I don't know if there's a jigsaw game.

ultimately I think that there's gonna have to be a paid version of all this stuff like social media platforms etc, because free stuff online is never free and always parasitic.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I legitimately can't recall the last app I downloaded. Even like 5 years ago when the App Store was no longer new and novel I would go on there every few days and try new stuff out.

Now I have my core set of apps that I always use and never stray from that.

Maybe I'm just getting old?

Anyway I just opened it again and yeah the layout of it sucks. Discovery used to be better before its current design IMO.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I really love discovering new apps but I don't browse the App Store these days. Every single app I've started using in the past 5 years was recommended to me by other means. Word of mouth, "best of" roundups on gaming and tech sites, threads on Era, all useful for discovery.

Maybe this one? Doesn't seem to have ads or a subscription. I found it with Google so I can't vouch for the quality.
apps.apple.com

‎Jigsaw Puzzles Epic

‎Jigsaw Puzzles Epic is a jigsaw game with over 20,000 beautiful pictures in a wide variety of categories. You can also create puzzles from your own photos. This premium quality app is the perfect choice for lovers of jig saw puzzles. In Jigsaw Puzzle Epic you can travel all around the globe...

edit: here's the roundup I found with Google, if you want to try the others.
techwiser.com

10 Best Jigsaw Puzzle Apps for Android and iOS Smartphones - TechWiser

Here are some of the best jigsaw puzzle apps for Android and iOS platforms where you can also upload your own images & change number of pieces in play.

edit2:
I haven't played a Scrabble game for a while, but here's the one I used to play with friends.
apps.apple.com

‎Wordfeud

‎Play against 30 million opponents! Wordfeud is a multiplayer puzzle game where you can challenge friends and random opponents and play in up to 30 separate games simultaneously! Create and place words on the 15 by 15 tile board and earn points for creativity and placing letters on the high...
Ad supported with a one-off IAP to get rid of them. I notice that the official Scrabble app has fucking gems now. It's gross.

Last edited:

Garou

Oct 25, 2017
Apple Arcade has a nice category full of ad-free high quality puzzle games, there should be a free trial, give it a go.

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
I don't use the store to search for games, I use google to find a site that has a curated list of the type I'm looking for and then I go back to the app store and look for those specific games.

But yeah, I would love to be able to just remove all freemium or subscription games from my app search and only see one time cost games since those are what I would rather buy.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017

the app tracking thing is a privacy feature that's giving you the option to opt out of tracking. The apps are, were and will do it, it's just now iOS has given you the ability to try and limit it. All apps across any platform are going to try and do it.

I doubt the prompt is the thing eating your battery.

as far as the type of apps it sounds like you're searching for and all the ad and sub crap, unfortunately, those are decisions by the app developers and their app is likely the same no matter what app store you are using.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
There is no curation in the App Store. They accept pretty much everything. No matter how shitty, greedy or scammy the app is, Apple welcomes them with open arms. That's because they don't want quality, they want quantity. More apps means more money. Also, it enabled them to be able to brag about having a bazillion apps in their store in keynotes.
The same goes for subscriptions. More subscriptions, more money.

As for the tracking thingy, I hope y'all are aware that apps are still able to track you. All it does is prevent apps from accessing the device identifier (and allow Apple to present themselves as the defender of privacy against the evil 3rd party developers), but apps can still use any other method for tracking, e.g. fingerprinting.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. Play Store is miles ahead in terms of searching and even recommendations which the latter only recently became quite good.

iirc, you can use the web-based App Store (desktop version) for more control.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Yep. Play Store is miles ahead in terms of searching and even recommendations which the latter only recently became quite good.

iirc, you can use the web-based App Store (desktop version) for more control.
Having recently switched from Android to iOS, I'm surprised at how poor the iOS APP Store search is, but in terms of curation and recommendations I find the App Store to be way better than the Play Store.

If we're talking about the quantity of shovelware and freemium nonsense, they're both as bad as each other. It says a lot that the "top ten" apps in both stores are the same ones they've been for years.

Edit: Obviously the Play Store is far better in that it's cross-platform, so you can queue things up to install on your phone, from your laptop. I have no idea why Apple doesn't allow that - especially when they have it set up to ask if apps installed to, say, your Apple TV should also automatically install to your phone.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Having recently switched from Android to iOS, I'm surprised at how poor the iOS APP Store search is, but in terms of curation and recommendations I find the App Store to be way better than the Play Store.

I remember when Reeder dropped the version number from the name when version 5 was released (i.e. "Reeder 4" became "Reeder"). I searched for "Reeder" and it was literally not in the search results. I looked at the first ~50 results and it just wasn't there.
So I typed "Reeder" into Google, and the first result was a direct link to its App Store page.

How can you even screw up this badly? Maybe they should outsource the App Store search to Google.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I remember when Reeder dropped the version number from the name when version 5 was released (i.e. "Reeder 4" became "Reeder"). I searched for "Reeder" and it was literally not in the search results. I looked at the first ~50 results and it just wasn't there.
So I typed "Reeder" into Google, and the first result was a direct link to its App Store page.

How can you even screw up this badly? Maybe they should outsource the App Store search to Google.
The part that bothers me the most is that App Store search results are so keyword-oriented that the name of the app is often obscured.

Take LinkedIn for example. I got a new phone, so I wanted to download the LinkedIn app. I search for LinkedIn. My top result is "LinkedIn Job Search & News". That's actually the main app, but it sounds like some weird offshoot, sub-app that I don't want, so I scrolled past it. Surely there must be a way to separate the actual name of the app from the more subjective search terms?

Jul 1, 2020
From the Apple vs. Epic trial it seems devs aren't too pleased with it either.

Freemium games full of ad breaks and microtransactions seems to be what that audience wants in terms of a business model. Most people will scoff at a $2.99 app download price but will happily pay $1,100+ for the latest iPhone Pro Max or Samsung Ultra.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Yes, the App Store is terrible. It has horrible discoverability, and the way Apple runs it makes most app developers take very little risks.
For your issue: The main reason you can't find a simple paid jigsaw puzzle app - Premium apps mostly sell like shit on iOS regardless of quality, so barely anyone is making them.
Most games that are monetized with ads used to also allow you to buy a no-ads IAP, - But now it's sadly much rarer (not to get too much into the details - But the main reason is how Apple operates in China.)

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
Probably better to just ask for recommendations here. Apple Arcade is the way forward though don't think there's any jigsaw games yet.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
.....You're kidding right? You think the vast majority of people don't download apps at all, or even like 10+?
I mean, top rated apps have less and less total downloads more and more often lately, on both the play store and the app store.

I think generally people are moving away from specialized apps and using defaults as well as a growing movement to spend less time on phones.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Half of U.S. smartphone users download zero apps per month

Article is a bit dated now, and doesn't paint a full picture, but I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of people download the "essential" apps and leave it at that.

Im not surprised by that. I definitely still download apps on Android but Ill agree with others above in that I like to use "Best of" recommendations from tech sites and other places of discussion these days. I don't care to try a bunch of stuff to find the gems myself personally anymore when I can let someone else do the vetting for me instead lol.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
one of the worst things apple did on the App Store is allow subscriptions for like any app.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN

I think most adults download the same 5-6 apps they use as their core and not much else yes. Your social media, YouTube, etc. I haven't downloaded a new app in many years.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really does. I'll only play Apple Arcade games now. Every time I download something outside arcade it's a nightmare. If something isn't filled with IAP, it's filled with ads. I don't mind paying for a full game, but let me filter all that shit out

Oct 25, 2017
I don't use the App Store a ton but the thing that made me instantly mad was that I searched for something by its exact name and like 10 garbage apps (with different names) came up in the results before the thing I wanted. How do you fuck that up?

supermatt

Oct 25, 2017
I published my first app last year (some dumb, useless, throwaway thing just so I could learn the process) and it's a nightmare from that side as well. For example:
The part that bothers me the most is that App Store search results are so keyword-oriented that the name of the app is often obscured.

Take LinkedIn for example. I got a new phone, so I wanted to download the LinkedIn app. I search for LinkedIn. My top result is "LinkedIn Job Search & News". That's actually the main app, but it sounds like some weird offshoot, sub-app that I don't want, so I scrolled past it. Surely there must be a way to separate the actual name of the app from the more subjective search terms?

Developers have to do this because the way Apple and Google rank app store search results. It's the reason app descriptions are so useless these days. Everyone is just trying to cram as many keywords into the app name, subtitle, description, etc. because they'll calculate a rank based on how many times certain keywords appear. Step one: make it impossible for people to find apps and for newer or smaller developers to ever get any kind of decent visibility. Step two: start letting developers buy ads in the search results. Step three: profit.

At least in the App Store you could enter up to like ten keywords outside of the description/title/subtitle to help users find your app, but on the Play Store everything is driven off the title and description.

Subscriptions and gems and all that are only going to become even more popular because of various reasons:
1. Cloud infrastructure means app developers have to pay every time a user reads a record from a database or writes a new row or executes a cloud function or looks at the app funny. It's difficult to estimate costs because you don't know, at the beginning, what usage patterns will be. Cloud contracts are obtuse and nearly impossible to parse. You think you understand how much it costs for a user to load a certain screen and then it ends up costing ten times as much because the cloud provider randomly decided that particular query shouldn't hit the cache so you end up consuming a ton more resources than you expected. App subscriptions and limiting usage and forcing people to buy more of "something" to continue playing/using the app take some of that risk away by ensuring heavier users are still paying for what they're consuming.

2. App store users don't want to take a risk and buy an app up front that ends up being trash. So "lite" versions of the app with an IAP to unlock the full experience have become more popular. But if you just offer a one time unlock you still have the issue from point one above and run the risk of losing money if you end up with a heavy user. Compounding this is that actually implementing IAPs is ridiculously more difficult than it needs to be (for example, you can't test IAPs on the iPhone emulator. You need to have an actual iPhone device just to make sure you've implemented the IAP correctly) so it's tempting to just forgo the IAP and make it a flat subscription for everyone.

3. Apple's ad tracking policies are great for users but suck for developers, especially independent developers. Targeted ads pay better than non-targeted ads, but they still don't pay a lot. Apple was really smart to use this policy to position themselves as a champion for user privacy but let's not kid ourselves. By making it more difficult to make money through ads, of which Apple does not get a cut, developers now have to turn to other forms of monetization: paid apps, IAPs, or subscriptions, all of which Apple takes a cut. The end result is increasingly predatory apps that Apple is more inclined to let slide because they're making Apple money.

The whole experience sucks for everyone involved, now. It's increasingly difficult for independent developers to get a foot in the app store door, so the industry consolidates and all the top apps are from bigger companies or startups that have rounds of investor funding and can afford to not make money until some point in the future where they'll hopefully be bought by a bigger company and then it won't be their problem any longer. This then sets unrealistic expectations as to what an app should be for independent developers who can't afford to lose money and so they have to charge more or avoid implementing some features and then actual innovation dies out and you end up with a place full of shovel ware and a frustrating user experience from beginning to end.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
It's still baffling they removed the wishlist feature years ago and have done nothing to bring it back.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I published my first app last year (some dumb, useless, throwaway thing just so I could learn the process) and it's a nightmare from that side as well. For example:

Developers have to do this because the way Apple and Google rank app store search results. It's the reason app descriptions are so useless these days. Everyone is just trying to cram as many keywords into the app name, subtitle, description, etc. because they'll calculate a rank based on how many times certain keywords appear. Step one: make it impossible for people to find apps and for newer or smaller developers to ever get any kind of decent visibility. Step two: start letting developers buy ads in the search results. Step three: profit.

At least in the App Store you could enter up to like ten keywords outside of the description/title/subtitle to help users find your app, but on the Play Store everything is driven off the title and description.

Subscriptions and gems and all that are only going to become even more popular because of various reasons:
1. Cloud infrastructure means app developers have to pay every time a user reads a record from a database or writes a new row or executes a cloud function or looks at the app funny. It's difficult to estimate costs because you don't know, at the beginning, what usage patterns will be. Cloud contracts are obtuse and nearly impossible to parse. You think you understand how much it costs for a user to load a certain screen and then it ends up costing ten times as much because the cloud provider randomly decided that particular query shouldn't hit the cache so you end up consuming a ton more resources than you expected. App subscriptions and limiting usage and forcing people to buy more of "something" to continue playing/using the app take some of that risk away by ensuring heavier users are still paying for what they're consuming.

2. App store users don't want to take a risk and buy an app up front that ends up being trash. So "lite" versions of the app with an IAP to unlock the full experience have become more popular. But if you just offer a one time unlock you still have the issue from point one above and run the risk of losing money if you end up with a heavy user. Compounding this is that actually implementing IAPs is ridiculously more difficult than it needs to be (for example, you can't test IAPs on the iPhone emulator. You need to have an actual iPhone device just to make sure you've implemented the IAP correctly) so it's tempting to just forgo the IAP and make it a flat subscription for everyone.

3. Apple's ad tracking policies are great for users but suck for developers, especially independent developers. Targeted ads pay better than non-targeted ads, but they still don't pay a lot. Apple was really smart to use this policy to position themselves as a champion for user privacy but let's not kid ourselves. By making it more difficult to make money through ads, of which Apple does not get a cut, developers now have to turn to other forms of monetization: paid apps, IAPs, or subscriptions, all of which Apple takes a cut. The end result is increasingly predatory apps that Apple is more inclined to let slide because they're making Apple money.

The whole experience sucks for everyone involved, now. It's increasingly difficult for independent developers to get a foot in the app store door, so the industry consolidates and all the top apps are from bigger companies or startups that have rounds of investor funding and can afford to not make money until some point in the future where they'll hopefully be bought by a bigger company and then it won't be their problem any longer. This then sets unrealistic expectations as to what an app should be for independent developers who can't afford to lose money and so they have to charge more or avoid implementing some features and then actual innovation dies out and you end up with a place full of shovel ware and a frustrating user experience from beginning to end.
I don't have anything to add to this, but I wanted to let you know that it was a great post and I appreciated the insight.

OP
OP
Stat

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Appreciate all the posts. I did do searching for some of the roundups posted but again, so many are bad. And yes, the gem/crystal/energy system for puzzle games is awful

the app tracking thing is a privacy feature that's giving you the option to opt out of tracking. The apps are, were and will do it, it's just now iOS has given you the ability to try and limit it. All apps across any platform are going to try and do it.

I doubt the prompt is the thing eating your battery.

as far as the type of apps it sounds like you're searching for and all the ad and sub crap, unfortunately, those are decisions by the app developers and their app is likely the same no matter what app store you are using.
Its not the prompt. Its the ads being delivered constantly since it needs to connect with the server constant.

Why don't you just not allow the apps to track you?

They still serve you ads.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Breh

Please do, I agree I strongly prefer one time purchases devoid of ads. But I mean people have to be compensated for their work somehow. If you want to do that for free people would love it.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
Well, the search and the charts may suck, but at least they have human curation. If you look at the curated lists instead, you can be certain that there's only quality apps worth downloading in there. Oh, wait..

9to5mac.com

Apple mistakenly promotes scam apps in App Store feature - 9to5Mac

Apple was promoting scam apps on the App Store, according to some Australian users, with apps that don't do anything or cost too much.

Oops.