Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Despite several other Android phones matching and even beating the iPhone in terms of design and features at the same cost or even cheaper, EXACTLY why is it that only the iPhone is considered a social status symbol? almost every famous person/rich/semi rich has to have the newest iPhone every year, why?

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
because apple didnt start to blowup until they started marketing themselves as a fashionable tech product in the early 2000 and the fashion stuff has stuck

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A mix of marketing, being a generally solid product and eco-system lock-in. Once you and your friends have iMessage, FaceTime and whatnot, it's hard to go back.

Fudgepuppy

Oct 27, 2017
Same reason people froth over Louis Vuitton and Dolce Gabbana when you can probably find things equally good looking and well made for a tenth of the cost.

TBF, I'm a European and I rarely hear or see people talk about their preferences of phones. I've never heard anyone say "eww you've got an Android?"

Arjen

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't this depend on the social circle you're in? I don't know anyone who gives a fuck about this.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
It's easy to be nice about Android until you have to make things work on the platform.

If everyone could just buy iPhones from here on out that would make my life a lot easier, thanks.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
No idea. It costs exactly the same for me to get the latest iPhone or some of the high-end Android phones through a carrier on a contract, so...

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't a thing here in europe, many people have iPhones, many have others and nobody cares, they're just phones.

qssm

Oct 26, 2017
TBF, I'm a European and I rarely hear or see people talk about their preferences of phones. I've never heard anyone say "eww you've got an Android?"

Yeah I was gonna say as someone from Finland I have never seen anyone treat a phone as a status symbol. Maybe teenagers do? I really don't know.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't even feel like it's a thing anymore? Everyone has smartphones and I don't know a single person that gives a fuck what type it is.

Calabi

Oct 26, 2017
It is kind of weird to me how well it works. It works with completely different demographics, old, young, everyone, and none of them conflict or taint it, like you'd think lots of old uncool people having iPhones would put young people off but it doesn't. It's the same with jeans and coca cola, they've perfected advertising I guess.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because they are expensive and look pretty, therefore owning them means you are well off, therefore superior to the filthy Android plebes. This is literally all there is to it, same as with all the other expensive brands of literally anything.

OP
OP
Sid

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Because they are expensive and look pretty, therefore owning them means you are well off, therefore superior to the filthy Android plebes. This is literally all there is to it, same as with all the other expensive brands of literally anything.
Androids are expensive and pretty

It doesn't even feel like it's a thing anymore? Everyone has smartphones and I don't know a single person that gives a fuck what type it is.
This happens A LOT in so many places

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
Where are you from bro?

I'm from the UK and there's not a single person I know who sees an iPhone as a high class fashion product because its just a phone. Unless your a child/teenager I don't think anyone gives a fuck, and considering the trash teenagers see as a status symbol I'm not going to base what's considered such on their tastes.

Edit: hell my mum got a fold 3 last year and everyone she knows is way more impressed by that than any iPhone around, because its actually something most people haven't seen in terms of a phone with a huge folding screen while iphones are just iphones. I think the status symbol thing died a long time ago in a lot of places and the fact imessage isn't a huge deal here adds to the not giving a fuck factor as opposed to how iphones seem to be viewed in the USA.

Last edited:

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
What is so special about their ads? please elaborate

They've successfully roped people into believing that their product line isn't just a product line but a lifestyle. Apple products are just better because we say they are, and you should buy more of them and encourage your friends to buy them because they only work well with others in their own ecosystem

Toastie

Jun 17, 2018
I feel like this depends on geography or age or something, because I have no idea what any of you are talking about. Maybe at the start when they were novel, but we're up to version 13 or whatever. No one gives a shit what phone anyone has anymore.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
It's easy to be nice about Android until you have to make things work on the platform.

If everyone could just buy iPhones from here on out that would make my life a lot easier, thanks.
This lol. Android crashes and ANRs (App Not Responsing) and keeping your app under a certain threshold when there are so many trash Android phones out there is the bane of my life.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You have to be joking. You can buy new Android phones for literally 10% of the price of new iPhones. Yes, there are expensive Android models as well, such as the Samsung Galaxy (I have a Note 9 myself but I bought it like 2 years after it came out), but there are no cheap iPhones.

ButtButt

Oct 30, 2017
I'm in Asia and I've never even heard of this. My friends just use whatever they're comfortable with. I personally like switching back and forth depending on phone features or whenever I get bored. Or maybe I'm just too old…

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
You don't have an iPhone, OP???
tumblr_inline_pa4brj6azM1ts4zyt_250.gifv

/s

plain

Oct 27, 2017

You make it sound like there are no legit reasons to owning an iPhone. The fuck is this?

Oct 25, 2017
therefore owning them means you are well off, therefore superior to the filthy Android plebes
No adult thinks this. Maybe children? Teens? But no adult sees another adult pull out an android and go "ew you poor fuck", unless they're being facetious. There are budget iPhones that cost as little as some budget Androids and there are Androids that cost more than iPhones.

This happens A LOT in so many places
At recess in school maybe? Are you hanging around teens?

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
But they weren't when Apple made their mark on the phone industry with the first iPhone. Apple built themselves a rep back then that they're still cashing in on now.
They also do a lot to sustain that reputation by aligning themselves with creative professionals across a range of different industries and promoting their products accordingly. And in an age where everyone has access to the same creative tools, and everyone wants to be "a creator," a lot of them gravitate towards Apple products.

This is more the case in the computer market than the smartphone market, I guess, but it's part of the reason that the Apple brand is so venerated.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this depends on geography or age or something, because I have no idea what any of you are talking about. Maybe at the start when they were novel, but we're up to version 13 or whatever. No one gives a shit what phone anyone has anymore.
It mainly depends on geography. Americans decided that their messaging service of choice is the default messaging app on their phone, which on iPhones is iMessage. Because iMessage is exclusive to iPhones, it falls back to shitty SMS and MMS messages whenever you need to do cross-platform texting, so the only way to have proper group chats is to exclude any Android owners.

This is not an issue outside the US where everyone uses a third party messaging app, like WhatsApp in Europe.

Oct 25, 2017
isn't this only a thing in the USA because of the bubble thing?

this isn't a thing where I live, like at all. We all use Whatsapp and no one even knows of cares about what phone you use.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
What you describe is not really a thing in NZ either. There are lots of people with Android, and the de-facto messaging app is Messenger so there's no lock-in with Apple Messages.

That said, iPhones are just very nice overall.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Apple marketing, expensive in some regions , software used to sooooo much more optimized then Android, better picture quality in many social media apps.

Buuuut I always preferred Android until like IOS 15 because I felt like Iphones had no customization.
I use iPhones now though just cuz face time.

Edit: I feel like the ppl that still see iPhones as a higher class thing are stuck in like 2014. My last 4 android phones were more expensive than the last few high end iPhones, and Apple even has budget models now. Thinking some dumb phone is a status symbol in modem times is crazy

Last edited:

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You make it sound like there are no legit reasons to owning an iPhone. The fuck is this?
The discussion isn't about whether iPhones are good or not, it's about the reason behind the social status often associated with owning one, and that is what I was replying to. I never said the phones are bad and I have nothing against people who prefer them over Android phones.

No adult thinks this. Maybe children? Teens? But no adult sees another adult pull out an android and go "ew you poor fuck", unless they're being facetious. There are budget iPhones that cost as little as some budget Androids and there are Androids that cost more than iPhones.

At recess in school maybe? Are you hanging around teens?
You're right, people don't literally go 'eww filthy Android peasant', but rich people don't care if what they're buying is best suited to their needs, they just look at the price tag and get the most expensive shit in existence to show that they can. iPhones are the most expensive phones therefore they are the phone of choice for the 'elite', and people who want to be perceived as such will buy them as well. This is what I meant.

Sambo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I don't know anyone who bases someone's social status based on the phone they have, especially when iPhones are so ubiquitous.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
For a long, Apple didn't really care about building cheaper phones, they just cared about a very specific, lucrative part of the market. While these days, there is an absolutely huge difference in price between the most expensive iPhone to their more budget models, I think the fact that iPhones are only ever produced by one company allows them to control its public image in a way that Android never can. There's some amazing Android phones, there's also some real garbage ones, with terrible custom UIs, poor support and a bad user experience. Even an iPhone SE, runs some pretty amazing tech, has great production quality and Apple supports it for longer than most flagship Android phones, so no worries if you will get Android 15 or whatever.

And when it comes to tablets, this is even more extreme, with the Android space being a complete joke, while the iPad actually has a large selection of decent apps tailored to it.

jackie daytona

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 15, 2022
iPhones (and Apple in general) have some of the best designs in all of consumer products. I know they don't always work for everyone, but look at their catalogue for the past 20 years, and you'll see they are head and shoulders above the competition.

You're a rich, trendy person: you going with the glass/metal phone or that plastic piece of shit with bloatware?

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's a legacy thing; they were becoming "hip" in the late 90's and early aughts, and even though there are products that match or exceed its quality nowadays, its name still carries weight. I don't think Sony TV's have been the best for a while, but there's a part of me that still really likes the idea of having an expensive Sony TV in my living room as a status kind of thing.

Empty Your Head

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 1, 2022
Personally, Apple products just seem to work and I've never been in a position where I had some hardware or software issue that inconvenienced me ever.

I was very much an Android and Google services person up until my Samsung Galaxy S6.

After my experience with that phone I made the switch to iPhone and I've only transitioned to Android once more time with the LG G7.

Love iPhone and iOS. Love that my ancient backup iPhone is still getting updates unlike many Android phones. Currently have an iPhone 12 Mini as my everyday phone and I love it. Great form factor. Everything is snappy and happy.

I'm honestly just completely done with Google stuff. I have a Nest thermostat and I fucking hate it. Had the wireless earbuds and they sucked. Got AirPod Pros and I couldn't be happier. Don't even use gmail anymore; Switched to Outlook.

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
Anyone can get a iPhone with a plan and not splurge out so much cash, so I don't know anyone who sees it as a lifestyle thing, more of a preference.

We are at point with phones that we were once with laptops, they are all pretty much doing the same thing and I don't see anyone having any upper hand, the differences are minuscule nowadays.

Sure the Ax chips are superior to any other ARM but for most people that doesn't even matter.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean they aren't though. Right now a maxed out iPhone doesn't come close to the foldable Android market. If they want to flaunt wealth, the latest foldables start where iPhones max out.
They aren't right now, true, but they were for so long that the reputation has stuck. And the reputation is the only thing that matters in this context.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
Only vapid people with little to contribute to society actually care what type of phone someone has.