Oct 25, 2017
Watch this folks, at worst, it's a beautifully shot and interesting story. At best, and this mainly classes if you have a brother, it's an absolute guy punch.

OP
OP
ContractHolder

ContractHolder

Jack of All Streams
Oct 25, 2017
Also I keep forgetting Zac Efron is in this. Dude keeps surprising me where he shows up.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
Loved the movie, I wonder how it goes for people
That don't know the story though? I felt some of it would be confusing to people, a lot of you have to read between the lines stuff and a lot of people are horrible about that lol. I had to explain the bike wreck to my wife because it went over her head what had happen. I do wish they would have included the other brother, I get there reasoning that it would have just become way to dark, but it was never going to not be a dark story. Hats off in real life to Kevin, dude seems happy and at peace in his life with his family. He is truly a strong human being to have to go through so much in life and not give up.

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it up and I'm a total blubbering mess as I type this.

It's really good. The last few scenes hit me like a truck. Career defining performance from Efron.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
That 'Dark Side of the Ring' episode on the family was enough for me. I'll probably never be able to watch this but it's good to hear they did a good job with it.

dphrygian

Oct 28, 2017
Texas
I saw this at the cinema, it's great. I had already seen the Dark Side of the Ring episode on the Von Erich family so I knew what was coming, but it still hit pretty hard. Easily Zac Efron's best performance, and Jeremy Allen White is fantastic as always. The script and direction are not subtle, but it works.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
Fun uplifting movie for the whole family.

And it's not even as bad as the real story! They took it easy on Fritz!

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I still am in the boat that it should've been a mini-series, so much was cut and compressed for of course creative reasons and just not having enough time.

That 'Dark Side of the Ring' episode on the family was enough for me. I'll probably never be able to watch this but it's good to hear they did a good job with it.
And that was easily the weakest, most sanitized documentary on the Von Erichs because they wanted Kevin's cooperation so they handled Fritz with kid gloves compared to what he deserved and like the movie, try to make Kevin out like he was a saint among his brothers.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I still am in the boat that it should've been a mini-series, so much was cut and compressed for of course creative reasons and just not having enough time
Yeah, cutting Chris out almost entirely and merging part of him into Mike was bullshit.

Also, I gotta be honest that a lot of the casting for the movie kinda sucked between a lot of people just looking wrong and the performances being off. Kerry has a great actor to be clear, but that performance wasn't great and it is even worse when he just looks completely wrong for the role.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I watched this in the cinema when it came out and I didn't expect too much but I was blown away by how good it is. I know someone from Texas and he was telling me how the story has some inaccuracies but is faithful enough .

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, cutting Chris out almost entirely and merging part of him into Mike was bullshit.

Also, I gotta be honest that a lot of the casting for the movie kinda sucked between a lot of people just looking wrong and the performances being off. Kerry has a great actor to be clear, but that performance wasn't great and it is even worse when he just looks completely wrong for the role.
Yeah I understand the reasoning but cutting Chris will never not be shitty. It was funny they included Kerry's IC title match with Perfect at Summerslam though they did what they could to clearly show him clearly, I don't think they were super concerned about accuracy in casting and I wouldn't be surprised if they were casting around Zac Efron's height, especially for the brothers, the guy they had for Flair had to be a rib. It wasn't Kerry's story but did they speed run through it without getting into why things that happened happened. Part of me thinks the director/writer saw the Dark Side of the Ring episode and that's pretty much it in terms of research. They didn't go nearly as hard on Fritz as they could though Kevin disagrees with the weird loyalty he still when it comes to his father, they white washed Kevin a good deal too by making him, like the DotR episode did, in making him look like he was the good son.

Last edited:

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Movie was good but I didn't like that Chris was omitted. I mean the movie is already depressing, but no sort of acknowledgement of the other brother didn't sit right.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
This story deserves a miniseries with Fritz as the black hole at its center, but I'm glad that more people have a window into the Greek tragedy of fake sports.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
It's well made, but it's more for people who don't know all the details of the real story. Fritz got off EXTREMELY easy in the film, and the omission of Chris honestly is pretty gross (and basically ruined the film for me}.