• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 2, 2017
Come for the sarcasm, stay for the particularly spicy speech at the end. Either way, it's time to consume our favorite videogame products! The past few months have been rough both in and out of gaming, and I've come to understand that my weekly dose of pessimism is Literally The Actual Problem. The time has come to compartmentalize, make excuses, and ignore the game industry's rot. It's not like we want to think about Ubisoft's abuse when it has a bevy of hot new products to sell us! Ubisoft doesn't want us to think of it either.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
Based on the title alone and the recent thread with the poll about who is buying the "Ubi games Cyberpunk" this video is one that this god damned forum needs to hear and reflect upon.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
See you all in 20 minutes after we've had a chance to watch the full video before giving our opinions.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Based on the title alone and the recent thread with the poll about who is buying the "Ubi games Cyberpunk" this video is one that this god damned forum needs to hear and reflect upon.

I thought that thread about slaves being used on console production lines might cause people to think twice before buying a next gen console this fall. It got to about 12 pages before it fizzled out and the mods unpinned it.

People are happy to fight the good fight when they don't have to sacrifice anything. So sad that the bridge too far is video games.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I thought that thread about slaves being used on console production lines might cause people to think twice before buying a next gen console this fall. It got to about 12 pages before it fizzled out and the mods unpinned it.

People are happy to fight the good fight when they don't have to sacrifice anything. So sad that the bridge too far is video games.

Is it? Generally speaking, boycotting of consumer goods on a large scale never happens. And we know a lot of them are mass produced in ethically dubious conditions. I'm starting to wonder if there are alternate methods of taking action because expecting consumers to...well, not consume, is not realistic for the most part.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
That'll make for a good showing.
I'd want Jim Sterling to stop talking about industry issues when there's a reason to stop talking about companies literally shitting the bed and smearing the feces on all of our collective faces.

I can't believe (well I can but still) that the latest Ubisoft onslaught of trailers could drown the fact that the company heads are literally condonning sexual harrasment.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019

It's not just video games. Mass consumerism as a whole is like this. For good or for bad, the changes here don't seem to be motivated from the consumer side of things.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Love it Jim.
futurama_215_protest_640x360.jpg

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
This is easily his best video and the most spot on in social/economic/political terms.

Sterling is a much needed voice in the industry.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017

Yup. This thread proves that some people are willing to dish out justice as long as it does not affect them.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
It's all about context, and the context is, "I don't like calling video games art if that means I have to consider something." Art is about winning awards and your mum taking your hobby seriously. It's not about me having to think. For example, when there's discourse around a game I don't like, maybe involving politics that don't align with mine, or I'm asked to think about problematic implications, themes, or writing in the latest video game I decided to love a year before it was finished being made. I'm not going to think about anything that makes me feel uncomfortable, so instead I'm going to focus on how I don't like the word "problematic" and mock that whenever anyone says it. That will shield my favorite commercial product, and therefore me (somehow) from criticism.

this video is great

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017

I doubt change will ever come from consumers (until the atrocities and controversies actually starts affecting them and become too bad to ignore), and companies have money. Otherwise constant education and voting with your wallet is the best you can do at this time.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I lasted all of 10 mins trying to watch the show yesterday before giving up and just turning it off. I mean shitty industry doing shitty things is nothing new sadly but the sheer scale of the shit at Ubi makes it hard to have any positive thoughts while they try to put on a happy face and ignore everything. It just tainted the whole thing.

This is a sadly true for me as well. I can "boycott" Ubi games just like I do THQ games but truth be told I dont bother much with the stuff they put out anyway so its easy for me. If this was Fromsoft or Capcom idk if I'd be able to go on any type of boycott that doesn't end up with me eventually getting the game because I think I've punished them enough.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Is it? Generally speaking, boycotting of consumer goods on a large scale never happens. And we know a lot of them are mass produced in ethically dubious conditions. I'm starting to wonder if there are alternate methods of taking action because expecting consumers to...well, not consume, is not realistic for the most part.

Presuming that your default state is "consumer" is part of the problem. That's a label put on you by companies. It isn't what you are. You don't have to buy a PS5.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Good video. The industry is certainty giving him plenty of horrific material/practices to look at. I like that, in previous videos, Jim has referred to himself as a 'consumer rights show', but here also shines a light on what is effectively consumer entitlement, willingly putting on the blinkers that the industry wants you to have regarding the countdown to 'day 1'. It's easy to tear down the stuff you were never interested in anyway. But when something you like (or are hyped about) comes under fire? That's when a critical eye really starts to matter as suddenly you have to do what you've demanded of others and move past the reflexive response of 'but all the crap around the thing I like is fine'.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Top Shelf from Jim. Still my fave even if sometimes he is silly or flails when nothing's going on. No one else gives the industry the big Fuck You it deserves.

Cant wait until next week, the way the video ends and saying mondays coming I assume the next one will be a dissection of Ubisoft. If so shine that spotlight Jim, thank god for Sterling.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Presuming that your default state is "consumer" is part of the problem. That's a label put on you by companies. It isn't what you are. You don't have to buy a PS5.

I mean, you know what consumerism is right? You can say that about most consumer goods outside of food and clothes, and even the fashion industry has a long history of labour exploitation. Which is my point - this speaks to a wider issue than videogames that needs to be tackled. Expecting people to not buy a PS5 or whatever it is due to ethical issues attached to the company behind it is unrealistic. We know from countless other examples in other industries that also produce consumer goods that seldom works at scale.

Not sure what the answer is, but this is a societal problem top to bottom which needs to addressed.

Good video. The industry is certainty giving him plenty of horrific material/practices to look at. I like that, in previous videos, Jim has referred to himself as a 'consumer rights show', but here also shines a light on what is effectively consumer entitlement, willingly putting on the blinkers that the industry wants you to have regarding the countdown to 'day 1'. It's easy to tear down the stuff you were never interested in anyway. But when something you like (or are hyped about) comes under fire? That's when a critical eye really starts to matter as suddenly you have to do what you've demanded of others and move past the reflexive response of 'but all the crap around the thing I like is fine'.

This is a good post and your last point is critical as I'm of the belief that a lot of people throwing shade at others for still indulging in buying things despite the ethical issues attached, would find it difficult to do what they're asking of others depending on what it is they were being asked to give up. Collectively as a modern society, we're slaves to consumerism. No one should be getting on their moral high horse here because every one of us contributes to it and there's bigger issues on a macro scale which need to be actioned.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Consumer is nothing more than an economic term to categorize and separate customers and consumers. Individual people buying products and services are consumers. Companies that interact with other companies for products and services are customers. You have rights as a consumer. You have people who are advocates for consumer empowerment. This battle to relabel or reject the label of "consumer" isn't a worthwhile endeavor. We're consumers. It doesn't mean that we're giant, open mouths sucking everything into our mouths like Kirby. It's an economic term.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, you know what consumerism is right? You can say that about most consumer goods outside of food and clothes, and even the fashion industry has a long history of labour exploitation. Which is my point - this speaks to a wider issue than videogames that needs to be tackled. Expecting people to not buy a PS5 or whatever it is due to ethical issues attached to the company behind it is unrealistic. We know from countless other examples in other industries that also produce consumer goods that seldom works at scale.

Not sure what the answer is, but this is a societal problem top to bottom which needs to addressed.
Unionization would help, but implementation is tricky. Are there software based unions?

But I agree, the efficacy of boycotts for consumer goods Is dubious.

But it turns out that's not the way that boycotts usually work," he explained. "The typical boycott doesn't have much impact on sales revenue."

One reason is consumers' habitual nature. Even people who publically denounce a company might still purchase that company's products. Plus, the people boycotting a company might not be its target consumers.

"Think of PETA activists who are boycotting KFC," King explained. "That's a boycott that's not going to have much of an impact on sales revenue."

Nevertheless, boycotts can still be effective, according to King's research. He finds that while boycotts rarely hurt revenues, they can threaten a company's reputation, especially by generating negative media coverage.

"The no. 1 predictor of what makes a boycott effective is how much media attention it creates, not how many people sign onto a petition or how many consumers it mobilizes," he noted.

His research shows that the most successful boycotts are those that generate the most media coverage, typically to a single, high-profile company. These headline-grabbing boycotts lead to a greater fall in stock prices and are more likely to cause a company to change its behavior.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington

I'll say it again, I really believe people don't care because it's minorities. At least not enough to talk about the issue. I feel largely we're ignored.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
Top Shelf from Jim. Still my fave even if sometimes he is silly or flails when nothing's going on. No one else gives the industry the big Fuck You it deserves.

Because Sterling is independent and not like countless other "gaming journo" outlets, youtubers or streamers that don´t want to lose access to their preview/review copies and privilege invites to gaming events.

gaming websites/news outlets are more often than not just an advertising arm of the video game industry which is really sad.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
I thought that thread about slaves being used on console production lines might cause people to think twice before buying a next-gen console this fall. It got to about 12 pages before it fizzled out and the mods unpinned it.

Social media has proven is that outrage and activism are effortless on a keyboard. You don't have to actually do anything, as long as the homies in the thread see you flip off Trump/Crunch/Sexism/Racism/INSERT HERE, you're good. You've filled your SOCIAL JUSTICE quota for the day.

The more complex issues inextricably tied to the Games Industry require a more nuanced approach and while it is important that we consider all the implications and ramifications, we shou-HOLD ON, IS THAT ELDEN RING?!?!

It's all fun and games until I realize that in reality, to truly take a stand, I might not be able to buy an Xbox Series S/X or Playstation 5 console. That I might have to stop supporting publishers and developers who make games that succeed on the crushed spines and dreams of BIPOC, LGBTQ+, women, and other marginalized groups. To actually follow a path of social justice ... I might have to miss out.

And I can't do that.

Because how can I come on here when everyone is talking about the next SHINY GRAPHICS thing and I haven't experienced it. What will I do then? Will my moral and ethical stance give me 30+ hours of excellent, grounded, faithfully rendered gameplay that makes me feel emotions and consider the narrative implications for characters who don't exist?

There's so much at stake here, you have to understand.

Please understand.

I need my video games.

OT: This is the first time I've ever watched a Sterling video. He's right. All of it.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Hearing Jim say triple A in a (relatively) normal voice is one of the more uncomfortable things I've felt in a while.

Cracking video though, albeit a particularly sobering one.

Deleted member 2145

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
much needed video especially after the discussions that have been happening in his past threads regarding tlou 2

thank the gods for Jimith, blessed be his name

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Unionization would help, but implementation is tricky. Are there software based unions?

But it turns out that's not the way that boycotts usually work," he explained. "The typical boycott doesn't have much impact on sales revenue."

One reason is consumers' habitual nature. Even people who publically denounce a company might still purchase that company's products. Plus, the people boycotting a company might not be its target consumers.

"Think of PETA activists who are boycotting KFC," King explained. "That's a boycott that's not going to have much of an impact on sales revenue."

Nevertheless, boycotts can still be effective, according to King's research. He finds that while boycotts rarely hurt revenues, they can threaten a company's reputation, especially by generating negative media coverage.

"The no. 1 predictor of what makes a boycott effective is how much media attention it creates, not how many people sign onto a petition or how many consumers it mobilizes," he noted.

His research shows that the most successful boycotts are those that generate the most media coverage, typically to a single, high-profile company. These headline-grabbing boycotts lead to a greater fall in stock prices and are more likely to cause a company to change its behavior.

Yeah, this is a really interesting study and matches up with what we've seen. The key seems to be exposure and while it stipulates that boycotts can work if they generate exposure to the issue, you still have the problem of consumer habits to account for. So then the question is, how else can you generate that kind of exposure?

Like I say, simply pointing at people saying "you don't care" is meaningless. Every single person in this thread is complicit in corporations getting away with nonsense due to how we spend our capital. We need to be working out how to make change rather than pointing fingers, even if the solution may be difficult to come to.

Nov 3, 2017
This is a fantastic video - informative, entertaining and infuriating. Perfect Jim.

I hate this "it's not political" thing so much. Companies want us to accept their games as art and then they don`t have the balls to stand up and say that the games have a message? That`s not how that works!

Oh and fuck Ubisoft. Just reading about what happens is enough to make you sick.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

I feel this is more of a failure of people to give a shit. Boycotts could work (better) if more people made the decision to not buy (& stuck with it) and weren't all "oh well, it's not my problem, I must have this Nestle chocolate bar/Ubisoft game!"

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Great video. The praise Yves is getting for finally firing (allowing people to resign) is ridiculous. He either knows exactly what is/has beenhappening or he has incompetent fool for 30 years.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
Hearing Jim say triple A in a (relatively) normal voice is one of the more uncomfortable things I've felt in a while.

Cracking video though, albeit a particularly sobering one.
It really says something when him talking with those tiny sausages in his mouth and him spitting said tiny sausages out aren't nearly as disturbing as hearing "triple A" said normally...

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Really puts into perspective Yves Guillemot's colossal failure and/or being complicit in the abuse that went on for years.

Honestly, fuck Ubisoft.

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017
God, it's depressing how on point he is. The lengths people will go to in defending these gigantic corporations is downright embarrassing. The video also highlights how fucked up everything really is. This is something above gaming, how many products do you own that weren't produced under inhumane conditions? No one can escape the consumption of immorally made goods, at least in some capacity. The whole system is rotten to its core.

Boycotting products in of itself won't yield notable results, but it is a way of raising awareness to the disgusting practices and ruthless work environments that permeate the industry. I commend Jim and every other journalist who is actually doing something more than issuing glorified PR statements. Everything is still fucked, but there is a silver lining in the fact that these issues are actually being put into public light and victims of workplace harassment are starting to voice their traumatic experiences within the industry. The more people, and especially public figures talk about these issues, the more will these practices become public knowledge and something more people will voice their discontent around.

No matter how many corporate shills and "keep politics out of my video games" nerds there are, it's important to recognize that in the last couple of years, strides were made in regards to recognizing and condemning the toxic elements of the industry. It is paramount that we don't let this discourse die out.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really puts into perspective Yves Guillemot's colossal failure and/or being complicit in the abuse that went on for years.

Honestly, fuck Ubisoft.
Seriously. He is going to personally oversee the overhaul? Really? The guy that enabled this shit to go on for years upon years? Nah.

I'm sure lots of developers pushed out of the industry would have loved to just focus on games instead their own leadership.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I mean people happily wears clothes and phones made in dubious settings. I'm complicit as well. People will buy or use a PS5 or SeriesX despite being made by slaves, probably Jim Sterling as well. Voting with your wallet is not a thing that most people do.

But you can still put pressure on publishers and companies in an effort to make them be better in fear of bad press.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's hard to disagree with much of what's said here. Ubisoft has proven to be a truly disgusting company and nothing less than a ground up rebuild can salvage their image at this point. Guillemot should totally have resigned by now, no question.

much needed video especially after the discussions that have been happening in his past threads regarding tlou 2

Yeah. I could gladly go with never hearing Sterling talk about TLOU2 (Or anything ND related in general tbh) again. I lost a lot of respect for him since the leaks due to his handling of that.

Hopefully we're done with that shit now though.