• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
As an incredible 2021 reaches its conclusion, the Digital Foundry team present their favourite games of the year. Kicking off with an exhaustive list of modern, retro and retro-modern titles, it's none other than John Linneman!

Psychonauts 2
Metroid Dread
Guardians of the Galaxy
Returnal
It Takes Two
Forza Horizon 5
Cyber Shadow
Demons of Asteborg
RE Village
Halo Infinite

Last edited:

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
Man GotG would've been a much stronger contender for me if we weren't limited to Star-Lord's boring blaster gameplay.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad Psychonauts 2 is on there. Rest of the list is mostly meh, but I'm always happy to see Psychonauts 2 getting some love. What a game.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
While I'm curious what the rest of the DF crew are into, John's love for retro is the reason I'm here.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck yeah. I'm glad to see someone other than myself out there giving out props to Cyber Shadow. Fucking excellent game.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Cool to see Cyber Shadow and Demons of Asteborg in amongst the typical AAA stuff.

I really liked Cyber Shadow and I've had Asteborg on my wishlist since it came out! Happy to hear that it's so good

Roquentin

Oct 29, 2017
Great list. Its top 8 because of time constraints.
He mentions numbers 9 and 10 at the end of the video (RE: Village and Halo Infinite).

Great to see Psychonauts 2 there, but in my opinion this part was a bit spoliery, so beware. Actually, I think this warning might apply to other games as well.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
He says in the video that it's only top 8 because he didn't have time to capture the other two games.

They're…
9. RE Village
10. Halo Infinite

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Got Guardians of the Galaxy as a gift after seeing some surprisingly positive recommendations and it getting some award love. Pretty fun to play so far.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
It's hilarious to me how Ubisoft games no longer seem to make it to these lists. They've effectively turned into the McDonald's of the industry.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
That's a quality list of games. In general, I feel like I've been tuned into most published favorites lists I've come across for 2021.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Returnal, Dread and GotG are in my top 5 for this year too. Early in Psychonauts 2 and it's not doing much for me yet, but I haven't really jumped into the meat of the game yet I think.

wellpapp

Aug 21, 2018
Gothenburg
Y'all need to finish Psychonauts 2, hearing a lot of peeps falling out of it - something I also did, only for a couple of weeks though. There is a slow start, but when the ball gets rolling (!) the game really grows into something remarkable. Fantastic game and also probably my 1 or 2 best title of this year. So much creativity in design, storytelling and visuals.

slider

Nov 10, 2020
Haven't tried Psychonauts but have read overwhelmingly positive views.

It Takes Two hasn't completely grabbed me yet either. Sometimes it feels great and sometimes, being a cynical, miserable ass, I roll my eyes at the set up.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Cool to see demons of asteborg on here. I grabbed a cartridge and had some fun with it. I don't think I'd put it in my top 10, but I thought the novelty of it as not only a new Mega Drive game but a *good* Mega Drive game was enough to make it stand out. I also appreciate that you can buy the ROM. Would love to see more of that.

jesterkap2

Oct 28, 2017
Love seeing Psychonauts 2 getting a GOTY. John's list is always great. I don't normally play the retro styled new games that he does, but it's always really interesting. I gotta play Gaurdians. Mass Effect lite sounds great right now.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Fuck yeah. I'm glad to see someone other than myself out there giving out props to Cyber Shadow. Fucking excellent game.
Only game on his list I actually played. Awesome game! Hadn't heard of Demons and immediately went and bought the LE. John's GOTY lists always end up being expensive for me! Can't wait for Audi's picks though Alex's list was a little blah.

Hoggle

Mar 25, 2021
Great list. Psychonauts 2 takes it for me with RE8 and GotG taking 2'd and 3rd.

I still need to finish Returnal and Deathloop (or target start them)

EDIT:

Off topic slightly, but what the hell is up with YouTube ads nowadays? I got two ads before the video started and one literally right before John goes to mention the very first game (1:25 seconds in).
This sort of shit gets me to just turn videos off altogether. Do creators have any control now where the ads come in?

Last edited:

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Only game on his list I actually played. Awesome game! Hadn't heard of Demons and immediately went and bought the LE. John's GOTY lists always end up being expensive for me! Can't wait for Audi's picks though Alex's list was a little blah.
Yeah honestly that game looks pretty rad might have to try it.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Cool to see demons of asteborg on here. I grabbed a cartridge and had some fun with it. I don't think I'd put it in my top 10, but I thought the novelty of it as not only a new Mega Drive game but a *good* Mega Drive game was enough to make it stand out. I also appreciate that you can buy the ROM. Would love to see more of that.

Yeah and without cringe Kickstarters like a certain beat'em up when some people haven't even received the cartridge from the previous one...

NuncaBob

Dec 2, 2020
Eorzea
The whole video I'm just thinking, "Just slide your glasses up a bit on your nose. Just a bit. C'mon, give 'em a nudge."

Solid list, though.

Trunchisholm

Oct 31, 2017
That's a really boring (as in safe) list outside of Cyber Shadow and Demons of Asteborg. Coming from John, I expected more left-field choices. I'm looking forward to Audi's video.

Oct 25, 2017
John has great taste.

That's a really boring (as in safe) list outside of Cyber Shadow and Demons of Asteborg. Coming from John, I expected more left-field choices. I'm looking forward to Audi's video.

What does left-field have to do with it though? He just picked the games he enjoyed the most, as it should be for a GotY list.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Good list! Nice to see Returnal and GOTG on there.

I had to google Demons of Asteborg. Only game I haven't heard of.

Trunchisholm

Oct 31, 2017
John has great taste.

What does left-field have to do with it though? He just picked the games he enjoyed the most, as it should be for a GotY list.
He does have great taste. What I like about him is that his tastes extend well beyond the main mainstream titles. That's why I was expecting a tad more in the way of indie/retro-styled games. Don't get me wrong, all the games he listed are potential GOTY candidates. It's a very solid list. It's also boring because all of those games, save for the two I mentioned, have appeared in every GOTY list under the sun.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
John "Based" Linneman with the Psychonauts 2 pick. When he teased his video and whether the #1 may or may not be a surprise pick I guessed it would be P2

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Boring list tbh.
But everyone enjoys different things.

Mine would have way more indies and Japanese games this year. Every 2021 Top List without Inscryption is iffy anyway.

I think only RE Village will end up in my personal Top 10.

Halo might have as well, but Game Pass decided to not let me play it anymore, so fuck that game until it's in a Steam sale.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
He does have great taste. What I like about him is that his tastes extend well beyond the main mainstream titles. That's why I was expecting a tad more in the way of indie/retro-styled games. Don't get me wrong, all the games he listed are potential GOTY candidates. It's a very solid list. It's also boring because all of those games, save for the two I mentioned, have appeared in every GOTY list under the sun.
Well, I can chime in to say that I wish I had more time for games this year but it was the busiest year in DF history for me. There are so many titles on my "to play" list that I just haven't had time for which is a bummer. So it was a little more 'run of the mill' this year due to that limitation. :-(

Trunchisholm

Oct 31, 2017
What do people think these lists are for lol? To subvert peoples expectations?
Are we now going to pretend that John's previous best-of-year lists are typically as conventional as this one? Because in previous years his lists have been extremely varied and have highlighted a lot more games outside the AAA space and the usual GOTY picks.

This is John's 2020 list:

10. Doom Eternal
9. Mad Stalker
8. The Last of Us Part 2
7. Yakuza: Like a Dragon
6. Prodeus
5. Demon's Souls
4. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2
3. Ori and the Will of the Wisps
2. Half-Life: Alyx
1. Streets of Rage 4

And 2019's:
11. Xeno Crisis
10. Boneworks
9. Devil Engine
8. Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair
7. Control
6. Blazing Chrome
5. Death Stranding
4. Ion Fury
3. Resident Evil 2
2. Amid Evil
1. Ace Combat 7

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
John and I continue to have weirdly aligned tastes. Especially happy to see Ys IV make it in as his retro GOTY. I recently played it myself and was floored.

Returnal and Guardians of the Galaxy were not something I had any real interest in beforehand but I will check them out eventually now.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I can chime in to say that I wish I had more time for games this year but it was the busiest year in DF history for me. There are so many titles on my "to play" list that I just haven't had time for which is a bummer. So it was a little more 'run of the mill' this year due to that limitation. :-(
I feel bad for yall next year, what a packed year! Horizon one week away from elden ring is gonna be brutal for yall and reviewers.

Trunchisholm

Oct 31, 2017
It's a bummer to hear that. I hope things get more manageable for you in 2022 in terms of production schedule.

TGB86

Jan 27, 2021
Love when John discusses games he's passionate about beyond tech analysis. His comments are always interesting and insightful, and the enthusiasm is infectious. Really hope he becomes a more frequent guest on Retronauts, as he's a perfect fit there.

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
There is always one or two gamesI buy because of it being on his list lol. Usually because I never heard of them. Great list.