Battle Born

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite band ever has just released the first single from their upcoming new album Imploding the Mirage. The song is called Caution which you can stream right now:

Pitchfork said:
The Killers have also shared the release date for Imploding the Mirage: It's out May 29 via Island. The band produced the new record with Shawn Everett and Foxygen's Jonathan Rado. The LP, which follows 2017's Wonderful Wonderful, includes contributions from Lindsey Buckingham (on "Caution"), Weyes Blood, the War on Drugs' Adam Granduciel, k.d. lang, Blake Mills, and Lucius.

The artwork of the album is Thomas Blackshear's painting called Dance of the Wind And Storm.
Imploding-The-Mirage-1584028408-640x640.jpg

Update 1:
The music video for Caution was released earlier today. According to one of their Instagram posts, Sing Lee directed this music video which will be included in a short film for the album.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Man, talk about an unfortunate title by a band with an unfortunate name at the wrong time.

Oct 25, 2017
Cant wait for this, I do worry their concerts in the UK will be cancelled in June though. Got tickets to it ages ago.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dave Keuning (guitarist) was barely involved with their last album, Wonderful Wonderful - and Mark Stoermer (bassist) only a little bit. At this point, Mark plays with them once in a while and (maybe?) writes with them a bit, but Dave has all but left the band.

Basically, the band that wrote everyone's favourite Killers songs isn't a band anymore - their last full-band effort was Battle Born, their fourth album (not counting Sawdust, the b-sides collection album). If you're listening to this album, or seeing them on tour - it's only half of that original lineup.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
Their last few albums have been pretty bad. Hopefully this one will be a return to form.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this isnt really The Killers anymore with half the band gone, and WW was by far their worst album. But having said that I'll still give this a shot, always willing to give them a spin.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
omg I didn't know this was coming! The Killers are the best - 5/5 so far for their discography so I am hype

Will save the listen of Caution for the album since it's so soon~

can't wait~

(incredible album art btw)

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
omg I didn't know this was coming! The Killers are the best - 5/5 so far for their discography so I am hype

Will save the listen of Caution for the album since it's so soon~

can't wait~

(incredible album art btw)

I dunno Ratsky. I actually love Battle Born, the first "bad" album, all the way through. But WW? Oh hell nah. That was the least inspired Killers output ever. Aside from Tyson vs Douglas, The Man (which samples another song) and Run For Cover (which is a Day and Age leftover/reject), that album is a big fat miss with no classics or particularly even memorable songs.

Also presumably Stoermer and Keuning are fully out now? They were on the WW album but didn't tour at all. I suspect neither will contribute any songwriting or even play their instruments on this one. It's basically all Flowers now.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I was at a show maybe 20 ft from the stage when they were on their Sam's Town tour, man what a show that was

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
I actually really like that song, then again the Springsteen influence is as obvious as ever and I'm a huge mark for The Boss so YMMV

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man, caution fucking slaps. Love it. Then again, Lindsay Buckingham is my favorite singer/songwriter/guitarist all time, so getting him on this track is a huge get.

Album is off to a good start!

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Battle Born, the first "bad" album

whaaaa

But WW? Oh hell nah. That was the least inspired Killers output ever. Aside from Tyson vs Douglas, The Man (which samples another song) and Run For Cover (which is a Day and Age leftover/reject), that album is a big fat miss with no classics or particularly even memorable songs.

Wonderful Wonderful is their first grower, for sure, but it's still a great album.

A tier:

Rut
Life to Come
Run for Cover
Tyson vs Douglas
The Calling
Money on Straight

B tier:

Wonderful Wonderful
The Man (the Bowie part is the worst part)
Out Of My Mind

C tier:

Some Kind of Love
Have All the Songs Been Written?

Also presumably Stoermer and Keuning are fully out now? They were on the WW album but didn't tour at all. I suspect neither will contribute any songwriting or even play their instruments on this one.

Stoermer is in the promo image that they released a few days ago:

teL6D9G.png

It's basically all Flowers now.

how dare you blaspheme Ronnie!

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's not my opinion but yeah, Battle Born gets a lot of hate. I listened to it today on my way to work, inspired by this thread, and loved it all over again.

Also, listen to Caution!

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
People are dumb then - Battle Born is phenomenal! 🤤

...maybe just once....

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Loving that Buckingham solo at the end :)

And yep, BB is great. Forgot how much I loved From Here On Out.

tomofthepops

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favourite bands ( my psn name is one of their songs) but the last two albums have been such a let down. Wonderful Wonderful was a big slap in the face after five years away ( almost as bad as Radiohead releasing king of limbs after so long). I don't know what happened but pretty much every late 90's/2000's bands I listen to made some pretty bad albums this last decade.

SilentMike03

Oct 27, 2017
I love the Killers, but this song is incredibly disappointing. It sounds exactly like something off of Wonderful Wonderful. Meaning that while this is the first time I've listened to this song, I could have sworn I've heard it before.

OP
OP
Battle Born

Battle Born

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People are dumb then - Battle Born is phenomenal! 🤤

...maybe just once....
I think I like you. I'm pretty biased but I love each of their albums. There's always a lot of great tracks in them.

Anyway, I just wanted to update the thread a little bit. Here's the official music video for Caution. Keuning, unfortunately, is still absent.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Dang, tons of artists I like putting out new albums this year. Silver lining of 2020 I guess.

I'll definitely check this out when I get a moment.

Wonderful Wonderful and Battle Born may not be my favorite albums by The Killers (that honor belongs to the oft ignored Day and Age), but each has enough good songs to stave off disappointment.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think I like you. I'm pretty biased but I love each of their albums. There's always a lot of great tracks in them.

Anyway, I just wanted to update the thread a little bit. Here's the official music video for Caution. Keuning, unfortunately, is still absent.

Keuning is 100% gone and as for Stoermer, I expect him only to play on the album again.

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
I dunno Ratsky. I actually love Battle Born, the first "bad" album, all the way through. But WW? Oh hell nah. That was the least inspired Killers output ever. Aside from Tyson vs Douglas, The Man (which samples another song) and Run For Cover (which is a Day and Age leftover/reject), that album is a big fat miss with no classics or particularly even memorable songs.

Also presumably Stoermer and Keuning are fully out now? They were on the WW album but didn't tour at all. I suspect neither will contribute any songwriting or even play their instruments on this one. It's basically all Flowers now.

I do have to say WW was their first misstep. Holy fuck I was soooo hyped after sooo long. And it's got good songs. You know it's not even like a bad album, just disjointed and a bit forgettable. Which for the Killers is below quality. But my God you don't get a band that jumps styles from Hot Fuss to Sams Towns to Day and Age to SawDust (SawDust is fucking classic as well) to BattleBorn and hits the mark on every single one. You just don't and I'll listen to anything these guys put out.

That being said hopefully it's not as "samey" I guess? Maybe that was the through line that kept at such high quality, mixing things up.Think I'm going to see them on this tour as well in Vegas.

OP
OP
Battle Born

Battle Born

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Keuning is 100% gone and as for Stoermer, I expect him only to play on the album again.
I know. Unfortunately, Imploding the Mirage will continue what Wonderful, Wonderful started with Keuning and Stoermer making some small contributions here and there. The live band will probably continue the Wonderful tour lineup of Brandon, Ronnie and the other ones whose names escape me. I would only expect the original Killers to reunite during some special events. Priorities change throughout time but this situation still sucks a little for all fans.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
I do have to say WW was their first misstep. Holy fuck I was soooo hyped after sooo long. And it's got good songs. You know it's not even like a bad album, just disjointed and a bit forgettable. Which for the Killers is below quality. But my God you don't get a band that jumps styles from Hot Fuss to Sams Towns to Day and Age to SawDust (SawDust is fucking classic as well) to BattleBorn and hits the mark on every single one. You just don't and I'll listen to anything these guys put out.

That being said hopefully it's not as "samey" I guess? Maybe that was the through line that kept at such high quality, mixing things up.Think I'm going to see them on this tour as well in Vegas.
Wait isn't Sawdust a collection of b-sides and scrapped material? That's what my buddy told me back when it came out and he said "it's ok, decent for what it is".

There was a single that I liked but I didn't give it as much time as their actual albums.

Maybe I should?

guiloahhhhh

Oct 29, 2017
Oh Sawdust is fantastic. For me personally it's maybe their 2nd or 3rd best album. If your a big music geek you may recognize or dislike versions they do of some songs.

But like I prefer their version of the Dire Straits "Romeo and Juliet. Ruby don't take your love to town is great. Leave the bourbon on the shelf and Who let you go? are fantastic Sams Town era songs as well.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
It's not my opinion but yeah, Battle Born gets a lot of hate. I listened to it today on my way to work, inspired by this thread, and loved it all over again.
Battle Born rivals Sam's Town for my favorite Killers album as well. I'm a huge Killers fan, and somehow quit on Wonderful Wonderful after one listen, man how wrong I was, I think it might fight Battle Born after a few more listens. Rut might be my favorite song of theirs.

Achtung

Oct 25, 2017
Really like the song... always enjoyed The Killers

Edit: Oh crap this is an older thread.. ok original song posted Caution is what I heard.

IsThatHP

Oct 31, 2017
Time has been kind to Battle Born. When it first came out people were quick on the draw to slam 'got your picture on my cell phone' lol.

I wish the whole band would reunite; Dave's been pretty vocal about not being happy about his place in the band for some time but over the years it seems they all get together for shows in Vegas every so often. I was pretty ticked when I saw the killers at panorama a few years ago with half the band and then a few days later saw Mark and Dave playing with The Smashing Pumpkins of all bands lol.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Really into these new songs, if the whole album is like this I think it could be a return to form. BB and especially WW weren't as good as the first three, imo, though I like all their albums. Each has a very different feel. When is the new release date for Imploding the Mirage?