• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eldy

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
These sound a lot like Wawas. It's a 24/7 convenience store that also sells sandwiches, soups, salads, coffee, etc. Recently they've been transitioning to a gas station model, but there are stand-alone Wawas too, that are basically the same as the Japanese konbini.

Basically, Wawa just needs to go national already.

Yeah, reading the OP I was like "this sounds a helluva lot like Wawa". For some reason I thought they were more widespread but looking at the store map on Wikipedia it seems like I've just gotten lucky with the places I've lived recently to have them so close by. Royal Farms is/was okay but not on the same level.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Here in sprawl USA we have nicer convenience stores/gas stations but if I have to be in my car anyway I'd rather go to Target, which at this point might as well be on every corner too.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's the deadness in their eyes that makes the sandwiches so delicious.
lol..not sure if serious.

There's a 7-Eleven thats 7 minutes from me. I don't even drop by unless its free slurpee on 7/11. Yeah. No idea how long the sandwiches have been on the shelves or the hot dogs on those rollers. Not taking a chance.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
I can hear the Family Mart entrance jingle now.

A little bit naive to think only Japan has this done right.

You can buy train tickets, pay your monthly rent and bills, and refill prepaid debit cards at these stores in other parts of Asia.

7-11 has cheap instant food if you don't know what to eat. Already cooked stuff is pretty good.

7-11 in America is an extension of a typical gas station stop: junk food.

Family Mart tried to run its operation in America without success. America's urban sprawl makes efficient city design impossible. No foot traffic. No business.
Also Famima in Los Angeles was better than what you could get in like 7-11, but it still wasn't very good. The chicken strips were always really dry and gross, and the sandwiches still had the stale tough bread that you would find in any prepared sandwich on a shelf in America.

I think that's the biggest thing there.

I usually liked conbini sandwiches in Japan. Sometimes the ingredients seemed a little different, but the bread at least was always soft and fresh and didn't immediately suck up all moisture in your mouth

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
As someone who's never been to Japan, I'm not sure what makes them different from the usual convenience store? Is it just the quantity of them? Most cities I've been in are full to the brim with corner stores (locally owned or chains) that fill the same role.

They're very similar, just smaller.

Never been to Japan but they have these in Shanghai. NY has something similar.

US doesn't really have them because only a few places are densely packed enough to need them.

Oct 25, 2017
I never felt like I might get stabbed or become an innocent bystander in an armed robbery in a konbini, so they are pretty much head and shoulders over every American convenience store I've ever been in.

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the closest thing you're going to find in the US to a konbini store is the boutique grocery stores: whole foods, market of choice and their ilk. Their regular food is so expensive you'd wonder why the hell people would ever go there, but it's usually pretty busy in there due to the pre-made / on-demand hot and cold food which are decent caliber and are immediately available. It's big enough that people can make an excuse out of stopping there (to get other crap they might need) while still having access to higher quality convenience food.

Raysoul

Fat4All Ruined My Rug
Oct 26, 2017
There so many convenience stores here in the Philippines, from 7-11 to Lawson to MiniStop.

The good thing about them is they are open 24/7, and as a night shift worker it's great.

derder

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Fun fact: Lawson's used to be a regional chain in Ohio. Japanese investors came to middle america to create the ultimate milktoast experience. The chain closed in america, but the chain was famous for their french onion chipdip -- which is still made today.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The convenience store concept is exploding here in Peru, especially in Lima. This chain called Tambo opened about 2 years I believe (3 at most) and I'm fairly positive they already have more than 160 locations. They struck gold.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All the replies to my post are basically "Japan just does it better." Meh. Ever been to a Sheetz or Wawa?
Gonna stick with "weeb fetishising" as the reason.

CMDBob

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield
These remind me of all the little Tesco Metro/Express, Sainsbury's Local, Asda Supermarkets and that in the UK. A smaller range than the larger shops, but they still carry basically everything you'd need (as well as cost mostly the same as the full sized supermarket and have the same offers and that), and do other little bits. Not open nowhere near as late, though, but you've got your smaller corner shops for that.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I've only seen and visited one Wawa in the US, in Orlando. Its basically a large gas station convenience store with the sandwich shop shoved inside. Its nice but everything is overpriced like typical US convenience stores. It doesn't sound as good as the konbinis you guys are discussing. (And that bums me out!)

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You guys don't have these in America? We've had these for ever in Québec. They are called "dépanneurs", as in, "someone/thing that helps you get out of a bind". Really helpful.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
All the replies to my post are basically "Japan just does it better." Meh. Ever been to a Sheetz or Wawa?

So what you're saying is you're whittling everyone's disagreement with you down to one stereotype that almost assuredly doesn't apply to everybody

I've been to all three. Sheetz is great. Wawa is ok. Lawson's stuff is best.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
Haven't been to a Wawa yet but it still seems a little different in that food is made to order. Trimana Grill is similar here, made to order sandwiches alongside the standard gas station candy bars and chips and bottled drinks.

In a conbini you can walk in, grab something off the shelf that has already been prepared, and it will be tasty and delicious instead of making you question your life choices if you were to do the same thing in America.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been to a Wawa yet but it still seems a little different in that food is made to order. Trimana Grill is similar here, made to order sandwiches alongside the standard gas station candy bars and chips and bottled drinks.

In a conbini you can walk in, grab something off the shelf that has already been prepared, and it will be tasty and delicious instead of making you question your life choices if you were to do the same thing in America.

gonna need to see some nutritional labels for this

GCX

Oct 27, 2017
While there are some distictive things about the Japanese konbinis, convinience stores are everywhere in Europe in all kinds of forms.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mexican convenience stores are pretty cool too. You can buy cheap smartphones, no contract rquired, lol. Plus real tacos, tortillas, tamales, burritos, fresh vegetables, dirt cheap coffee, etc. And you can pay many services there, you can actually buy games on Steam and then go pay to your nearest Oxxo.

I do love Japanese convenience stores now that I'm living here (I just had a Famima dinner, and a pizzaman, lol). The bentos are rather high quality, the bread is pretty good too.
Yup. Oxxos are everywhere in Mexico. I've bought Nintendo Points in Oxxos even!

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
You guys don't have these in America? We've had these for ever in Québec. They are called "dépanneurs", as in, "someone/thing that helps you get out of a bind". Really helpful.

The article even mentions 7-11 which are all over the US.

If the only difference is the quality of food, I am not seeing the culture shock here. Everything in that article sounds just like small markets everywhere. Maybe not luggage sending.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Is Couche-Tard a dépanneur? I used to see a few of those in Toronto when they still operated some stores here as Mac's, never been inside one though.
Yes. There is a word for "bigger dépanneurs" that sell a wider selection of items, though the word isn,t used in Québec: supérette. Basically, "super" from "supermarché", and the suffixe "-ette", which is a diminutive. The French localization of Yokai Watch taught me that. Some Couche-Tard are the smaller "dépanneurs", while some are the bigger "supérettes". I've worked in both of these types of stores when I was younger. Supérettes are real fuckin' nice.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
I feel like the reason Conbinis are so prevalent are the same reason why vending machines or Arcades are still able to survive for the most part in Japan. The city blocks are small and compact and way more people use public transit so you are way more likely to be walking past or close to these places. Even some restaurants are made in a way for you to quickly run in and out quickly to catch public transit by using vending machine type machines. I think larger grocery/super stores are also making it harder for convenience stores to exist in NA. A lot of the convenience stores around where I live have closed, shrunk or are in disrepair ever since they built a Walmart. People would rather drive 5 min to the big place then walk 5 minutes to the small place. Bigger cities tend to have bodegas at least to catch those people that do walk or use public transit though but larger city blocks make them further away.

AdrianG4

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Some of the otakus in here really need to branch out and try convenience stores outside of Japan. It's not some magical Japanese thing that can only be called by its Japanese name "konbini", lol.

What's next, a thread with a title "Hey guys what's your favorite hanbāgā "?

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
The UK has a lot of them, the likes of the Co-Op and small chains are still competing with Tesco and Sainsbury whose express stores are popping up like a rash. The problem is they're generally all terrible, a little bit of everything but yet never anything you need, unless that happens to be 2 day old rock solid bread, a jar of baked beans or an overpriced chocolate bar.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017
gonna need to see some nutritional labels for this
Here you go. I don't think this is particularly bad for you, but note I also said tasty and delicious, not healthy. Still better for you than taquitos and big bite hot dogs and a microwaved burrito.
maxresdefault.jpg

cwmartin

Oct 27, 2017
Someone is going to have to explain this better. I can get anything I need at 2am at a DuaneReade or Walgreens. 7/11 has all the same shit or a Cumberland Farms.

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
Is Couche-Tard a dépanneur? I used to see a few of those in Toronto when they still operated some stores here as Mac's, never been inside one though.

I think Couche-Tard is rebranding all their operations outside Quebec as Circle K.

Couche-Tard is also an International company.

They have 120K employees worldwide.

Elynn

Oct 28, 2017
Brittany, France
Is the "open 24/7" thing the defining character here ? otherwise I don't see how they're so different/better than all the small supermarkets littering Europe.

AdrianG4

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've never seen a Walgreens with fresh food.

Convenience Stores within their country generally cater to their local demographics taste. For example, when I am in a 7/11 in China/Japan/Thailand etc. -- while the food is tasty, my American palette does still craves some gas station styled hot dog or crawfish po boys with a shit load of tobasco sauce. Okay, so you want some onigiri, we get it, but reserve your expectations that not everyone in America only eats Honorable Japanese Convenience Store meals.

Reversed

Oct 25, 2017
The queues in Oxxos became slower the moment they accepted bank transactions and whatnot. They better have automated cashiers planned for those before my lame soda starts warming.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Convenience Stores within their country generally cater to their local demographics taste. For example, when I am in a 7/11 in China/Japan/Thailand etc. -- while the food is tasty, my American palette does still craves some gas station styled hot dog or crawfish po boys with a shit load of tobasco sauce. Okay, so you want some onigiri, we get it, but reserve your expectations that not everyone in America only eats Honorable Japanese Convenience Store meals.

They literally have hot dogs there

I think you might be assuming a bit too much of people yo

Oct 25, 2017
What amuses me here in Mexico is the quite array of payments and deposits you can make on these stores, basically like a lite bank, hell yesterday i actually had to wait like 10 minutes in line because some old man was buying a bus ticket.

TheBryanJZX90

Nov 29, 2017

But it's not just about different kinds of foods. The same type of foods are of a better quality in Japanese stores than American.

This is never a sandwich I would want to eat on purpose:
GasStationSandwich.png

This is great:
Konbini-Sandwich-Lara-670x503.jpg

I like eating these sometimes but only for about five seconds before I regret it, and it's probably been overcooked 6 hours ago by some teenager that was looking at their phone the entire time:
photo-12.jpg

These aren't any healthier but taste better and were probably made very recently:
Conbini00443.0.jpg

Formless61

Oct 27, 2017
Japanese konbinis can replenish stock more often than American ones due to more foot traffic. If an average 7-11/roadside gas station in the US were to serve up really quality stuff, it might not be worth it if customers want a quick bite. Not sure about urban areas though.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Monoblocks in the USA and western /anglo-countries are the direct results of zoning laws local or otherwise, that basically assumes everyone has a car or makes it easier for a car-only lifestyle.

These zoning laws were a direct result of lobbying by the auto industry. Also, white flight: most are also rooted in racist and classists red-lining policies. It's much easier to exclude people when you can isolate undesirable businesses and other types of businesses and people if you require them to have a certain thing (usually money) to do business our settle in one place.