• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should there be a new OT for From the Ashes Era

• Yes, and I will participate.

Votes: 18 56.3%
  • Yes, but I probably won't participate.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • No. Keep the conversation here.

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • No. I have no interest in From the Ashes.

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Let's just talk about it on the Comics Era OT.

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
www.marvel.com

Jean Grey Takes to the Stars as Phoenix in New Series

Set in the X-Men’s upcoming From the Ashes era, Jean Grey headlines a new 'Phoenix' ongoing series by Stephanie Phillips and Alessandro Miracolo this July.

phx2024001_cov.jpg

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
NYX cover was seemingly dropped prematurely, since Marvel deleted their tweet and the press release link was a dead link. Cast appears to be Ms. Marvel, Laura Kinney, Prodigy, Anole, and a blonde character who fans have speculated to be Kiden Nixon, a Cuckoo, or Soft Serve.

mu9u19we4wtc1.jpeg

EDIT: It's Sophie Cuckoo and the press release is now out:

www.marvel.com

'NYX' Brings a Dangerous Mutant Scene to the Mean Streets of NYC

Set in the X-Men's upcoming From the Ashes era, 'NYX' by Collin Kelly, Jackson Lanzing, and Francesco Mortarino reinvents what it means to be mutant this July.

Last edited:

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
The Arakki falling on Ewing's hands was a blessing, just gonna say it: Hickman could not

Hickman's imagination and ability to conceptualize whole timelines and universes is awesome. Nobody can shake up a whole line of comics like him.

But Ewing is as imaginative, has erudite grasp of continuity, and knows the characters so intimately. Just the consummate superhero writer.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of my feelings about the new era, that cover looks good. I wish Temper was more close up though there's plenty of time for that in future issues.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Unceremoniously dumping Krakoa, and everything the mutants built over the last five years, in the trash pisses me off.
That was always the plan though, Krakoa was never going to be a permanent status quo change and Hickman was going to blow it up much sooner.
I don't get all the NYX hate, I think it looks awesome, it's one of the books I'm interested in the most, The other two are Uncanny and Phoenix.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why Scott looks like a child. Everyone else looks like an adult, but they deleted Scott's jawline and turned him into a damned kid. Are they gonna call him Slim again?

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
Wow, despite the insane speed Fall of the House of X is moving, I really dug it. Always glad to see when Regent Storm and Apocalypse are back on the field

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The release timings of Fall, Rise, Dead, Forever and even Iron Man are all wildly out of sync with each other, and it's not improving. I don't envy whoever has to put together the Fall of X omni.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The release timings of Fall, Rise, Dead, Forever and even Iron Man are all wildly out of sync with each other, and it's not improving. I don't envy whoever has to put together the Fall of X omni.

Won't be for some time. Dawn of X Vol. 1 omni just placed #6 in the most wanted omni poll, so that'll be done within the next 1-2 years. If that sells well enough, it'll be years beyond that before anybody has to worry about mapping Fall.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I'm totally lost with how Fall and Rise coordinate.

Like, obviously Duggan and Ewing have coordinated to use Storm and Magneto. But Duggan and Gillen don't seem to be at the same event. I will wait to see what's Xavier doing, but...

About what Breevort said about wanting more solo titles: I'm pretty cynical that his idea is going to work. For me, the basis of the X-Men is soap opera and a sense of community, I don't have much interest in seeing them separately.

Feb 16, 2022
I was warned that the writing in FotHoX #4 was awful, and I thought "yeah, I've been telling y'all Duggan's writing is bad", but even I wasn't ready at how embarassing it is in this issue. Goddamn.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I thought more about yesterday's issue and I definitely liked the Apocalypse part a lot, but I don't understand the Xavier part.

Anyway, I much prefer that Krakoa (the island) is going to survive, probably on Mars. Apocalypse wants custody.

GeorgeR

Nov 19, 2019
Hey everyone, I think this is the best place to ask.

I wanted to purchase one of the collections with house of x/powers of x.

I can see that there are 2 editions, one from Panini and one from Marvel comics with the 2nd one having a few more pages.

Are there any substantial differences besides the cover art and is there a preferred one of the 2?

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hey everyone, I think this is the best place to ask.

I wanted to purchase one of the collections with house of x/powers of x.

I can see that there are 2 editions, one from Panini and one from Marvel comics with the 2nd one having a few more pages.

Are there any substantial differences besides the cover art and is there a preferred one of the 2?
I have the Marvel edition, but I haven't seen the Panini one. The main difference I could find online is that mine is hardback and the Panini is paperback, so that's a major factor. All previews I've found are just the first few pages of HoX #1, but I can't see there being substantial content differences.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
About what Breevort said about wanting more solo titles: I'm pretty cynical that his idea is going to work. For me, the basis of the X-Men is soap opera and a sense of community, I don't have much interest in seeing them separately.
Brevoort's not breaking new ground here, solos are something most of the editorial regimes have tried and they don't stick exactly for the reasons you cite. The core appeal of the books is really in the found family soap with ensemble casts that Claremont popularized in the 70s/80s and frankly there are enough X-Men to keep a half dozen or more of those organically going anyway.

I'll be honest, it will be a surprise if Phoenix or Storm last more than 2-3 arcs.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
A solo title doesn't mean there are no other recurring characters involved. A solo title doesn't necessarily mean there are no teammates around either.

If Wolverine can sustain as a perennial solo, so can Phoenix and Storm in the right hands.

I thought more about yesterday's issue and I definitely liked the Apocalypse part a lot, but I don't understand the Xavier part.

Anyway, I much prefer that Krakoa (the island) is going to survive, probably on Mars. Apocalypse wants custody.
Wild guess: Krakoa survives but becomes gated by a combination of Arakko culture and A's current beliefs.

Mutants can be resurrected (thanks to the astral plane waiting room, no cradles required) but there will be strings attached. Making sacrifices, passing Crucible challenges, etc.

Also, truly wild random guess: we seem to have lost track of the total number of backup cradles, particularly one that was supposed to be at a super secret location. I'm betting one data crystal from a cradle is going to float around out there with a save state of Krakoa and its population. It'll be left out there as a toy for writers to pick up in the service of shenanigans.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
A solo title doesn't mean there are no other recurring characters involved. A solo title doesn't necessarily mean there are no teammates around either.

If Wolverine can sustain as a perennial solo, so can Phoenix and Storm in the right hands.
Wolverine is a lot more popular that any other mutant out there.

I think that Phoenix and Storm are lucky if they reach the 8th issue, but I would be glad of being wrong.

GAMEPROFF

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I have House of X, Inferno, Swords, Sinister and Red Carpet Gala, what other OHCs do I need to habe the full mainline Krakoa Saga? Are there yet to be released ones?

JDazzle

Nov 6, 2017
Wild guess: Krakoa survives but becomes gated by a combination of Arakko culture and A's current beliefs.

Mutants can be resurrected (thanks to the astral plane waiting room, no cradles required) but there will be strings attached. Making sacrifices, passing Crucible challenges, etc.

Also, truly wild random guess: we seem to have lost track of the total number of backup cradles, particularly one that was supposed to be at a super secret location. I'm betting one data crystal from a cradle is going to float around out there with a save state of Krakoa and its population. It'll be left out there as a toy for writers to pick up in the service of shenanigans.
Well, we were just reminded in Dead X-Men that a piece of the MKraan crystal is the whole of the crystal, so maybe one of the hidden cradles is the MKraan crystal?

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
I think that Phoenix and Storm are lucky if they reach the 8th issue, but I would be glad of being wrong.
You also forget Wednesday Warriors being fickle motherfuckers.

They want Wolverine getting a solo and it not being on the road map is funny but also I sense that'll probably change.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Yes Wolverine is more popular, but it's silly to think he's the only X-Men character who can sustain a solo.
I'm not saying that but Logan's had solo stuff going since the 1980s as well, something Claremont also established early on leaning heavily into orientalist adventure genre stuff. It's sort of baked in.

Other X-characters with successful solos tend to have extensive or at least implied back stories outside the teams (Cable, Deadpool, Gambit, Magneto, Mystique, X-23, etc) that also lean into other established genre fiction (spy thriller, scifi, etc). This doesn't really apply in the same way to characters like Storm, Cyclops, Phoenix, Nightcrawler, Rogue, Iceman, Jubilee, etc, who really established themselves within the ensemble framework of the X-teams and tend to stumble outside that with trouble lasting more than a year. Frankly books in general at this point are lucky to last over a year the way Marvel operates with continual relaunches.

I do think the cosmic setup for Phoenix opens a lot of doors, and I think the rumored political setup for Storm could be interesting, but I'm still skeptical of lasting power. Most X-Solos are just a tougher sell to the audience, almost inversely to the Heroes Office approach Brevoort came up in, the franchise has always operated this way.

Oct 26, 2017

Isn't that the one in the White Hot Room?

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Other X-characters with successful solos tend to have extensive or at least implied back stories outside the teams (Cable, Deadpool, Gambit, Magneto, Mystique, X-23, etc) that also lean into other established genre fiction (spy thriller, scifi, etc). This doesn't really apply in the same way to characters like Storm, Cyclops, Phoenix, Nightcrawler, Rogue, Iceman, Jubilee, etc, who really established themselves within the ensemble framework of the X-teams and tend to stumble outside that with trouble lasting more than a year.

Saying Storm, Rogue, and Nightcrawler in particular don't have extensive backstories and can't lean into other genres is honestly wild.

Rogue was a whole terrorist. Storm was basically catwoman and a living orisha. Nightcrawler was raised with a traveling band of Romani circus mystics.

They, like Logan, were adults when they joined the X-Men.

And while Phoenix joined the X-Men young like Scott, Bobby, and Jubilee, Jean will be in outer space basically being Outlaw Captain Marvel. Her book could easily be a cosmic Western. Galactic empires will be trying to kill her. She'll be the Phoenix with No Name trying to help people.