Are you bothered by the lack of price cuts on consoles?

• Yes

Votes: 694 35.9%
  • No

Votes: 661 34.2%
  • Don't care

Votes: 576 29.8%

• Total voters

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
When the PS5 first announced as having a $499 price point, I was annoyed but I got it. I knew I'd eventually get one, but couldn't afford one when it launched. Then when I had the money the following year, you couldn't find one ANYWHERE. That was fine too, it was even a funny meme at first.

...But then I started gaming on PC. My friend gave me his "old" desktop which was powerful enough to run a ton of video games at decent settings. At first I thought it would just be a stopgap until I could get a PS5. But eventually I just got used to it, and around last year I realized two things:

1.) There weren't many games on PS5 that I couldn't get on PC. Even now, there's just four: Spider-Man 2, FF16, Rise of the Ronin, and FF7 Rebirth. I'd guarantee all four are on PC within the next 18 months.

More importantly though, was 2.) The PS5 was still $499, and everything I've seen tells me that they have zero interest in cutting the cost of their console, and that console price cuts are a thing of the past. Sure there might be a sale here or there, but I'm talking "The PS3 is now $299" price cuts, where that's the standard price going forward.

Frankly, that's a turn off for me. The major benefit of coming into a console generation later is a larger library and a cheaper cost of entry. If the second half is gone, I'd rather just stick with PC. I upgraded this desktop from its 1060 to a 3060 with the same $350 that I would've loved to spend on a PS5 at some point.

MAYBE with the coming of the PS6 my opinion might change, but I think they've lost me this generation and I've owned every other Sony console except the Vita. Is anyone else like this?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I buy pretty much every console at launch because I have zero patience, so I can't honestly say I'm too bothered

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
from a personal standpoint there's zero reason to dwell on a price cut vs a sale. like the XSX was as low at $350 last holiday. who cares if it hasn't received a $50 or more price cut officially. just buy it when it hits a sale price that works for you. It doesn't make your experience any better when it becomes the standard MSRP

noortsyk

Jul 11, 2023
I don't buy consoles anymore because I get stuff on PC way cheaper. One exception is Nintendo because of exclusivity.

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not bothered specifically because I already own a PS5 but it seems like given that both MS and Sony are taking a loss on hardware currently, it's not just because they're trying to keep the price artificially high.

But I would imagine you're not the only one and if that's what works with you then let it be. If you can wait for the titles to appear and you're happy with your setup, why be upset?

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
An equivalent PC is more expensive so what are you arguing exactly. It is cheaper to buy a console than build a PC

DeSolos

Nov 14, 2017
It sucks. I think Sony would price cut if they could. The component prices just aren't coming down. Microsoft, is stuck too.

I'm glad that, as you eluded, that the PC market exists, which yeah is still expensive, but with the community always buying/selling from each other it can be more cost effective. Makes up a lot for the terrible price to performance on new hardware.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I know of too few people that have bought a "next gen" system. More people are interested in the PS5 in general, and the entry price for the regular PS5 is still $500 after 3 1/2 years.

Dukie85

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I buy em all at launch, so I don't really care, one way or the other.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Nov 23, 2022
Well not a permanent cut, but the PS5 Slim was discounted for most of March (in the U.S. at least), that's what made me finally jump in. Included Spider-Man 2 and I bought Ratchet & Clank.

Also, wasn't the 5 sub $400 during Black Friday. I also feel like the Series is always on sale. Like regularly sub $250 for an S.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Price cuts are irrelevant to me, because if I really want something, I get it.

And when I really want something, that means I'm okay with the price.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
The only reason we got price cuts in the past has been competitive price pressure. We just don't see that as much these days.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I am in the fortunate and privileged position to not care and just buy game stuff when I want it. If you had asked me a couple years ago I would probably be bothered by it.

But will probably reduce my console purchases and simply stick with Nintendo/PC combo going into whatever comes next.

OP
OP
SageShinigami

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like it's the gift of a PC more than lack of price cuts.

Yeah but it'd still leave a bad taste in my mouth if I had to drop $500 for a PS5 and we're on Year 4. If I weren't as big of a gamer I'd probably just give up.

But also ultimately you're going to use laptops/PCs gaming or not. A good one's going to run you $400-500, why not spend $900 and you're good for a decade?

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
Hardware costs have been going up and Sony, MS and Nintendo don't wanna sell at loss anymore but make money with console sales. Simple as that.

So don't really care since it's just market reality.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Nintendo I buy day one. I don't care if its a virtual boy 2, I'm there for it.

Playstation I usually wait for at least a bundle for a game I want. For PS5 it was the 2 Spider-Mans bundle that got me.

Xbox is a weird one. These are usually on sale during the holidays. I get them a few years down the line for BC. Though I dunno if I will later.

Mar 28, 2024
yes at this point ps5 is 3 years old
i suspect they won't cut base ps5 price and keep it full price and release the pro at higher price at this point

TimPV3

Oct 30, 2017
A good one's going to run you $400-500, why not spend $900 and you're good for a decade?

My buddy foolishly spent $3500 on a PC last April, and I don't even think THAT will last a decade.

I will say I think the pandemic/Russian conflict and the resulting inflation have more to do with the price than anything. I know the phat PS5s were $350 at Target before Xmas, but that was just a sale and not a whole ass price drop.

OP
OP
SageShinigami

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
h5pKM9F.jpeg

So close to the "perfectly balanced" meme.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I wouldn't even bother wasting your time with consoles anymore tbh.

I think you're also on a forum with people who are relatively wealthy who don't need a price cut and have never been affected by anything like that so I wouldn't expect many to agree, which you'll see when adding No and Don't Care.

oakenhild

Oct 27, 2017
Would love to replace my launch switch with an oled switch, but the prices are still so high. Just not worth it at this point.

I'd buy more games for it too, as my switch now is just barely held together. I just opt to use the steam deck instead.

Edit: I can't believe the Switch OLED is still $350....

Otakunofuji

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda, yeah. Getting to a price I want to pay is going to be the difference between me ever getting a PS5 or not.

I don't see how anyone can argue "Uhm, akshually, price cuts are a bad thing ..." but I'm sure it's coming.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
I'm trying to help a buddy build a PC atm and parts from 4 years ago are close to their MSRP. Even used. So it's really not just a console thing atm.

MadJosh04

Nov 9, 2022
I think it's ridiculous that the Switch never received any kind of price cut. The OLED should have replaced the LCD price and pushed the LCD price down.

Oct 29, 2017
You can thank Apple for that. The price is the price. Buy it day 1 or buy it day 1001; you're going to pay $X.99

While you may occasionally find temporary price reductions, businesses would prefer to provide more perceived value at the originally price.

Chimpzy

Dec 5, 2018
Price cuts? The price actually went up for PS5 and XSX in many parts of the world, including mine.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I decided to build my first PC in 2020. Started getting parts a year before, swapped some out as I did more research.

I finally built it in early 2021. Before Covid I got a cheap gpu because I just wanted something to get me running and I said I'll get a better gpu later.

May 2024 and I'm still trying to get a better/decent gpu.....that doesnt cost more than a PS5, XSX. Granted as more gpu's launched my target also changed. So yeah technically I could get something that at least matches thats cheaper....but now I want better.

At this point, it is what it is. Now I'm kinda shocked the XSX didnt cost more than $499...seeing how the XBO and One X launched at that price.

The PS4 launched at $399 and had an official price cut. Still hoping n praying the PS5 Pro means the base PS5 gets a price cut. But tha margins, tha margins....yeah I know.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Not really, no. PC parts don't really come down in price either. When it comes to expensive items it seems kinda pointless to wait on a particular potential sale when you might as well get it now and enjoy it.

Jamesac68

Oct 27, 2017
That's a "No" from me. If I want a console I tend to buy it on release, or at least as close to release as possible. Switch 2 is a day-1 purchase, although I'm honestly not sure about PS6. Steam Deck 2 will be a must-have, though. The only drawback with that last one is that if I'd waited I'd have a 1TB drive and OLED screen for the same price, but I knew going in that there would most likely be upgrades down the road.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
You can thank Apple for that. The price is the price. Buy it day 1 or buy it day 1001; you're going to pay $X.99

While you may occasionally find temporary price reductions, businesses would prefer to provide more perceived value at the originally price.
I don't know about this. Buying a used 9th gen ipad is probably the cheapest way to get kids to the games they want to play. It's right there with the Switch Lite but way more functional. That's the biggest loss to me with no price cuts as a kid that was often late to console generations.

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
It's certainly disappointing. Obviously I don't have the analytical data that the platform holders have, but I would think that a much lower price that we used to see for consoles in the past would help get hardware into family homes. And that introduces important franchises, IPs, etc. to a younger generation and/or an extended audience well beyond the enthusiast consumers, growing the consumer base in the long-term when those new fans grow into more disposable income.

But maybe mobile devices and gaming have dispelled that idea for the most part.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Don't care tbh.

I buy consoles on day 1 so i'm not the target for a price cut.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but it'd still leave a bad taste in my mouth if I had to drop $500 for a PS5 and we're on Year 4. If I weren't as big of a gamer I'd probably just give up.

But also ultimately you're going to use laptops/PCs gaming or not. A good one's going to run you $400-500, why not spend $900 and you're good for a decade?

Where do I fine these $900 gaming PC's that last a decade?

You can apply the same logic to a console except it's cheaper. PS4 was supported by PlayStation since 2013 and was still getting ports up until 2023.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I think I fall under the price isn't an issue for me, I got a PS5 at launch and thought it was worth its $400 and $500 price point, honestly unbelievable value for what you got in 2020.

I don't think this holds up as much in 2024, but strangely enough the value still isn't as bad. If I was in the market for new console in 2024 I would hesitate at buying a console for the same price as it was in 2020. The price isn't the issue for me, it's the idea that I'm being sold 4 year old hardware as the same price point as 4 years ago, when this hasn't been the case ever for a PS console.

So I would wait for a price drop (who knows if one is even coming), or I'd look in to getting a PS5 pro even if that system ends up being more expensive. Granted most will want the original PS5 for a lower price.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
thinking back, buying the PS5 DE for $400 at launch feels like a steal at this point. it's like $400 dollars just to buy some eggs at the grocery store these days

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I get being annoyed by the lack of price drops but I don't get PC being a solution. Don't get me wrong I love my PC but that hobby is significantly more expensive than console gaming since the back to back rush of crypto then AI.

Oct 25, 2017
This the wrong forum to ask this question I feel like 😭. When $70 was announced most ppl collectively shrugged, when the gas shit was going on ppl said "just fill ya car up the beginning of the week".

Mofo made me feel like a brokey 😂