Are you bothered by the lack of price cuts on consoles?

• Yes

Votes: 694 35.9%
  • No

Votes: 661 34.2%
  • Don't care

Votes: 576 29.8%

• Total voters
Jul 10, 2022
I think it was 2022 or 2023 when there were insane discounts on Xbox and PS. I think 350€ for a disc PS5 and 320€ for an Xbox Series X were the lowest I've seen.

Recently, the disc PS5 is at about 430€ standard price. Isn't that okay for the whole package?

Cali32

Oct 11, 2020
Best decision I've made this gen was to buy a PS5 at launch and being from Europe I got it a "reduced" price of only €500 instead of the €550 it's at now. I've been enjoying it for more than 3 years now so I'm very glad I didn't wait for sales/price reductions.

DeadMoonKing

Nov 6, 2017
Don't care here.
I care more about game selection and reliability than price.
I usually don't buy-in early in a console's life because I have a gnarly backlog and usually there's nothing I want to play on the new console.
Once the stuff I like starts coming out, I'm happy to pony up the dough, though I do try to get the console revisions or refreshes when I can.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well the series S did get a decent cut. Granted your pc can probably outclass it most likely and has access to the same games. I feel like if you have a PC you are better off anyways. The age of consoles being exclusive machines has been going away rapidly over the last decade. I would say put the money you would put towards a console towards a PC upgrade part instead.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
I'm not too bothered, I guess. I buy a new console with enough rarity and use them for enough years that I don't mind paying for it when I want it.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I think it was 2022 or 2023 when there were insane discounts on Xbox and PS. I think 350€ for a disc PS5 and 320€ for an Xbox Series X were the lowest I've seen.

Recently, the disc PS5 is at about 430€ standard price. Isn't that okay for the whole package?

Xbox needed a price drop and Sony was clearing stock of the non-slim bundles they had at retailers
for the rest of the gen I don't see PS5 getting that type of discount again

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not bothered specifically because I already own a PS5 but it seems like given that both MS and Sony are taking a loss on hardware currently, it's not just because they're trying to keep the price artificially high.

But I would imagine you're not the only one and if that's what works with you then let it be. If you can wait for the titles to appear and you're happy with your setup, why be upset?
Yeah, this is the price of components, especially how silicon costs are not coming down significantly like they used to.

This is why Sony and maybe even Xbox is going the way of blu-ray disc drives going to plug in add ons, to shave off that cost.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2017
I'll always buy at least one console at launch. I still don't have a Series console and unless it gets a crazy discount, I won't get it. I feel like I've gotten my $500 worth out of my PS5 and then some. It'd be nice if there were price cuts, but it doesn't bother me, personally.

SWOLED not causing a cut to the LCD Switch is just greed, though.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
I know consoles are expensive, but looking at PC video card prices has kept me a console gamer for the last four years.

Otheradam

Shinra Employee
Nov 1, 2017
The problem we've been seeing in the past 5-10 years that has been discussed here is the console market might have hit the cap on audience growth because they aren't getting younger/new people into them. Part of that has to do with these consoles never having price cuts anymore. They will never reach a tier of people who would want to buy one but not for $500. The only people buying them are 'gamers' and that pool of people are declining due to a bunch of factors.

If the price never goes down, you're only 'losing out' on the value of the system if you don't invest day one. Who is the person buying a full priced console 3-4+ years into its life span? Wouldn't everyone who wanted one at $500 gotten one by then?

This is also why I don't buy full priced games if its not day one. If I can wait to play it, I can wait for a sale since the conversation would have moved on after a month.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
If you factor in the inflation that we've experienced, as long as the price remained static in your region then it's effectively a price cut.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
probably an unpopular opinion, but consoles (specifically ps5 and series x) were a bargain back when they released and they still are now.

I still prefer PC gaming but good luck building a PC with similar specs and a controller for that type of money.

Jan 23, 2022
I put down don't care but only because I'm probably switching to PC full time. I already have a PC and I only stuck with consoles for physical games.

TheAggroCraig

This guy are sick of the One Winged Slayer
Nov 6, 2017
While there hasn't been a traditional price drop there have been discounts on all 3 consoles at some point in the US at least if you follow deal sites/posters, for new and/or refurbished.

Traditional price cuts are probably done though (except maybe when a successor is announced?), these systems are expensive to produce and prices on parts keep fluctuating among other things.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I have never bought anything but PCs and Nintendo consoles, so I don't care about PS/Xbox pricing. The Switch had some minor sales or bundles iirc, but I bought my OLED model used on here from an Era member and got a nice price for that, so yeah, the lack of major price drops didn't really hurt me there either.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Of the Sony cant get the price down for the base PS5 then I wonder what their price strategy is gonna be when the Pro hits the market.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Praise be the Series S price point. What great value it's ended up being for me.

GlorpShitto

Feb 6, 2024
I don't have the patience to wait for eventual ports. I wanna play stuff when people are talking about it. Sony and Nintendo is always day 1 for me.

Oct 25, 2017
A console at launch is always a better value than its PC equivalent. But that value quickly fades and yeah, the PS5 should have adjusted its base price by now.

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
It got a 7% cut in 2021, 6.5% in 2022, 3.4% in 2023 and is getting cut by 3.5% just by staying the same price.

(inflation)

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Nah bro its over if you're looking for price cuts. Like someone else (rightly) pointed out, Apple made this the new wave. "The price is the price" and you can choose to pay it or not. Even if there were shortages, once those clear up they're not going back to the old ways.

I feel like apple does lots of seasonal sales on their older hardware, even if they aren't technically price cuts, though.

NoobSauceG7

Feb 7, 2022
I think the consoles actually end up being pretty well priced, especially compared to how bloated PC prices are.

Siri

Nov 7, 2017
The price doesn't bother me as much as the apathy I have towards the selection of exclusive games on either platform. I'd rather pick up the multiplatform stuff on a computer I already own and pick up a Switch for good exclusive games that I know wouldn't show up on PC ever.

The Series S was a great little media and gamepass box for the money, mind.

OP
OP
SageShinigami

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
The problem we've been seeing in the past 5-10 years that has been discussed here is the console market might have hit the cap on audience growth because they aren't getting younger/new people into them. Part of that has to do with these consoles never having price cuts anymore. They will never reach a tier of people who would want to buy one but not for $500. The only people buying them are 'gamers' and that pool of people are declining due to a bunch of factors.

If the price never goes down, you're only 'losing out' on the value of the system if you don't invest day one. Who is the person buying a full priced console 3-4+ years into its life span? Wouldn't everyone who wanted one at $500 gotten one by then?

This is also why I don't buy full priced games if its not day one. If I can wait to play it, I can wait for a sale since the conversation would have moved on after a month.

I think most people would say you aren't getting anyone new if you do cut prices, and the few you would get isn't worth the loss in profit. I don't know that I'd agree, but still.

I also mostly agree with your full priced games take, though I give it 2-3 months. After that if I don't have it, might as well wait for a sale.

liquiddragon

Jun 20, 2020
You don't need to justify your preferred place to games with weird logic and bad math. I have all the current systems + PC. They are all good platforms to game I'd be happy to game on just one of them. I just don't get the constant "I'm done with consoles, PCs rule!" attitude. It's the most new PC gamer take. Consoles fit a lot of ppls lives. PCs are cool too. Stop trying to convince yourself or other ppl one is better than the other. Enjoy your games, that's all there is to it.

Servbot24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not too bothered. The console becomes less valuable over time by virtue of aging tech, but it becomes more valuable over time by virtue of growing games library. So it balances out.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's realistic or reasonable to expect price cuts in a world where every cost has increased tbh

Your point of view is skewed by that free PC tbh, which is a genuinely great thing for you but obfuscates the actual costs of gaming.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
but I was told gaming is not that expensive of a hobby
(it is and that's why console sales have stagnated or peaked)

I think there are a lot of other factors involved because gaming is a really cheap hobby. I got 150 hours out of FF7 Rebirth and I'm approaching 700 hours on SF6. What other hobby gets even close to that on $140?

Bowling is one of my other major hobbies and even though I bowl at a really cheap alley, I still pay $25-30 for 1-1.5 hours of games.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017
Market has spoken.

When you can sell a brand new top of the line graphics card for $1600, console makers know there is plenty of money being left on the table.

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Who would, in all honesty, say they don't care? Breath of the Wild is going on 8 years old and Nintendo still has it listed at $60.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of different brands and things they make. I've also put stuff up my ass. But I'm not going to say I like supporting Nintendo when they fuck my ass with their pricing strategies.

OP
OP
SageShinigami

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
You don't need to justify your preferred place to games with weird logic and bad math. I have all the current systems + PC. They are all good platforms to game. I just don't get the constant "I'm done with consoles, PCs rule!" attitude. It's the most new PC gamer take. Consoles fit a lot of ppls lives. PCs are cool too. Stop trying to convince yourself or other ppl one is better than the other. Enjoy your games, that's all there is to it.

This is an defensive reply that's pretending to be fair and balanced but actually isn't.

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
It bothers me a bit, but PS5 at least has the slim versions. Xbox are still full price as far as I can see, so slightly disappointing that they haven't knocked a few quid off. But XSS is still quite reasonable. Swich is in its own bubble, but at least there's the Lite.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Yes. If it wasn't for the pandemic stimulus checks and the Series S, I wouldn't be on the current hardware. $500 is something that I flat out can't afford.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
I also miss actual price cuts but there are enough people that just don't care to where it makes sense that they aren't a thing anymore. Before you could use one to get a sales boost or second wind but nowadays people will just get the second job that Sony mentioned since everything is so expensive anyways. I think there probably are a lot of people that would get a console but just won't pay what they are asking which leads to the market size staying where it is for some of them. Like, I totally believe that Nintendo for instance, this holiday season could halve the price of the Switch/Lite and dominate the season. Sure they don't need to but if previous price cuts are anything to go by there's a great chance they do well with having a lower priced entry device like the 2DS was.

But the market has changed a lot. The people that really didn't like the PS3s price is now older and has been working so they don't really care which is where things are overall. MS could have tried an actual price cut to get the system to sell, which would have been a thing in the 90s or even like the Wii U but they don't see a point either.

Last edited:

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
I also know some products that i don't buy because the asked price isn't worth it.
As an example i thought about buying a drone, but that short fun i would have with it wouldn't be worth the money asked.
I believe this is pretty normal behaviour, it is actually good to question if the product is worth the money spend.

EvaUnit787

Aug 6, 2023
I only care as far as adoption may affect what games get developed for each console, but no. My big worry is always finding a day 1 preorder.