Kawngi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 30, 2017

AN UPDATE ON THE LAST OF US ONLINE

We realize many of you have been anticipating news around the project that we've been calling The Last of Us Online. There's no easy way to say this: We've made the incredibly difficult decision to stop development on that game.

We know this news will be tough for many, especially our dedicated The Last of Us Factions community, who have been following our multiplayer ambitions ardently. We're equally crushed at the studio as we were looking forward to putting it in your hands. We wanted to share with you some background of how we came to this decision.

The multiplayer team has been in pre-production with this game since we were working on The Last of Us Part II – crafting an experience we felt was unique and had tremendous potential. As the multiplayer team iterated on their concept for The Last of Us Online during this time, their vision crystalized, the gameplay got more refined and satisfying, and we were enthusiastic about the direction in which we were headed.

In ramping up to full production, the massive scope of our ambition became clear. To release and support The Last of Us Online we'd have to put all our studio resources behind supporting post launch content for years to come, severely impacting development on future single-player games. So, we had two paths in front of us: become a solely live service games studio or continue to focus on single-player narrative games that have defined Naughty Dog's heritage.
We are immensely proud of everyone at the studio that touched this project. The learnings and investments in technology from this game will carry into how we develop our projects and will be invaluable in the direction we are headed as a studio. We have more than one ambitious, brand new single player game that we're working on here at Naughty Dog, and we cannot wait to share more about what comes next when we're ready.

Until then, we're incredibly thankful to our community for your support throughout the years.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
Damn I was really looking forward to it!😞

Can they at least port an updated og factions to part 2!?!?

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
Expected but sucks, excited to see what they do next.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
rTpllv.gif

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Well shit. It looks like they got a lot done too. Hopefully they can put it to use somehow.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
In ramping up to full production, the massive scope of our ambition became clear. To release and support The Last of Us Online we'd have to put all our studio resources behind supporting post launch content for years to come, severely impacting development on future single-player games. So, we had two paths in front of us: become a solely live service games studio or continue to focus on single-player narrative games that have defined Naughty Dog's heritage.

This is the way. sony way better off having studios that do only live service and let single player cook as single player.

Negatorous

Jul 14, 2018
Well, there is always "The Day Before" if you picked it up before it was banned from the Steam store lol.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Picking SP over GaaS is the right choice for ND

A shame it took them years to realise this, but at least they're back on the right track now

Sony have other teams better placed to work on their GaaS titles

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022

They made the right decision.

Oct 27, 2017
Saw that coming unfortunately. Still waiting for my very simple wish of them implementing the factions mode we were all expecting on TLOUP2, why did you have to try to make it that huge.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
to good to be true ;_; but if it was an ultimatum of become GAAS or stick to single player, very easy decision.

Deleted member 128578

Dec 2, 2022
Had a feeling increasing the overall scale of it wasn't the best idea, feels like just making a better Factions mode would have been way better. I know a friend of mine is going to be furious at this, he's been waiting for the online for years.

Rippa

Feb 15, 2018
Good!

Fuck GAAS.

Keep lighting the world on fire with your god-tier single player story driven games ND!

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
No shit a live service game requires a team to keep it updated. How would they not have planned for that?

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Unfortunate but not surprising. They made the right choice of course but I was hoping they would have been able to release some online mode that didn't require it to be live service.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Once the reports on how development was going on behind the scenes started coming out, the writing felt like it was on the wall.

Best of luck to Sony's future GAAS projects.

Det

Jul 30, 2020
I kind of expected that to be the issue. Always had questions on "ND quality" post launch support with how resource and time intensive it would have been.

Embiid

Feb 20, 2021
Seems like a reasonable excuse. I think most fans would much rather have them focus on SP games.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
That's a good reason. I would never want them to be a GAAS studio. Hope next time they just do a MP mode like in the past without the GAAS ambition. Solo DLC like Ghost of Tsishima Legends culd work.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Damn, that sucks. With all the asymmetric MP-only survival games that have gotten funded and released in the past couple years I thought that the industry interest in that type of game would help get this project out the door.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Damn. It could have been something special. There's an untapped market still out there for something like a TLOU Online game. Sorry for any affected by this. Would love to see concepts or works shared, though I know it's not really what the industry does.

Hope everyone stays on board and is working on new things.

GTAce

Oct 27, 2017
Bonn, Germany
Should've just made a Factions successor, instead of some GaaS mammoth.
Now I just need Marathon to change into a proper single player shooter, with maybe traditional multiplayer on top.