• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/Naughty_Dog/status/1668682177964556288

A patch for The Last of Us Part I is now live. This update primarily focuses on performance improvements, Steam Deck performance, various crashes, and more.

Alongside this patch, The Last of Us Part I is now Steam Deck Verified. You will find the latest patch notes for Steam Deck below.

Downloading this patch will trigger a full shader rebuild.

• Optimizations to improve global CPU and GPU performance throughout the game
  • Overall improvements to texture and environment loading
  • Improved shader compilations times
  • Fixed a crash that could occur after changing custom controller settings
  • Fixed a crash that could occur in Photo Mode when saving images in 4K
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when playing on Ultra graphics preset with DLSS enabled
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when using a mouse with a high DPI
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when entering Options > Graphics
  • Fixed multiple crashes affecting players with Intel GPUs
  • Fixed an issue where players could lose the ability to aim or shoot immediately after exiting menus
  • Fixed an issue where the Flashlight tutorial would not leave the screen if ignored
  • Fixed an issue where exiting Photo Mode could cause the player to throw an equipped item
  • Fixed issues where players could see outside the game world in some locations
  • Addressed issues where screen tearing could still occur with V-Sync enabled
  • Fixed an audio issue that could occur when using a USB audio device alongside Spatial Audio Plug-Ins
  • Added support for players using third-party audio drivers
  • Fixed an issue where changing graphics presets (Options > Graphics > Graphics Presets) in-game would not save
  • Fixed an issue where the Speedrun timer could roll back after a crash or when quitting to desktop
  • Fixed an issue where scrollable menu descriptions could not be navigated with a mouse scroll wheel
  • Updated the QTE button UI to correctly display when using Xbox controllers
  • Corrected several in-game, menu, and text-to-speech translation errors
  • GPU Performance HUD more accurately displays usage when launched, CPU Performance HUD now more accurate
  • Corrected an issue where the Aiming Mirror settings did not affect motion sensor aiming
  • Fixed an issue where settings would not Reset to Defaults if players had any of the menu drop downs still open
  • Fixed an issue so that scrolling in Photo Mode does not affect the in-game camera
  • Fixed an issue where the game could reset a user's Monitor setting when launching the game
  • Fixed an issue where the shader loading could be shown as complete before it actually was
  • Fixed an issue with Corsair and Logitech device LEDs turning off on start-up
  • Display settings are now saved per device and not shared through cloud saves
  • [The Suburbs] Fixed a crash that could occur in the sniper fight
  • [The Suburbs] Fixed an issue where Sam would appear wet during a cinematic in a dry area
  • Added a new Very Low graphics preset (Options > Graphics > Graphics Presets)
  • Added a new AI Quality setting in the graphics menu (Options > Graphics)
  • Added a new Dynamic Lights Quality setting in the graphics menu (Options > Graphics)
AMD

• Fixed an issue where the game could crash while shaders were building on AMD hardware
  • Fixed an issue where FPS could be impacted while enabling the GPU Usage monitor (Options > HUD > GPU Usage)
Epic Games Store

• Fixed a crash that could occur when quitting to the main menu
  • Fixed an issue where vibrations did not work for some players
Steam

• Fixed a crash affecting players missing a Steam user folder
Steam Deck

• Overall improvements to performance while playing on Steam Deck
  • Addressed a memory leak issue that could cause crashes
  • Fixed an issue where certain button prompts would be misaligned
  • Fixed an issue where changing (Options > Graphics > Graphics Preset) could trigger an intense lighting effect
  • Fixed an issue where in-game HUD did not match Steam Deck Performance Overlay FPS value
  • Fixed a crash that could occur during loading screens
  • Effects Density now defaults to Very Low instead of Low
  • [Lakeside Resort] Fixed a crash that could occur at the start of a cutscene
  • [Pittsburgh] Fixed a crash that could occur at certain checkpoints
  • [The Outskirts] Fixed an issue where locked FPS could make it difficult to move pushable objects
We at Naughty Dog and our partners at Iron Galaxy are closely watching player reports to support future improvements and patches. We are actively optimizing, working on game stability, and implementing additional fixes which will all be included in regularly released future updates.

That's a big one.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how well it runs on Deck now.

Oct 25, 2017
ND might have been forced to push this out the door for one reason or the other but I trust them to stick with it until it's fixed properly.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
I could already run the game at 1440p 120, but due to how CPU limited it was, it was never possible to have a stable frame rate, or go to a new area without having big frame rate spikes. Hopefully this fixes how CPU demanding the game is.

The patch looks to be 25gb on steam

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Will cpu usage no longer be above 90%+ standing in an alley way doing nothing
It shouldnt do that or it hasn't done that on my machine since a few update not long ago. Maybe you cam adjustment the texture streaming pool to cut down the number of assets being streaming as you play. Not of the pop in is not noticeable

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
26GB

DwKCpqI.png

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Well, I'm currently downloading it on Steam Deck, I'll let you know in 20 ish minutes.

Edit: Shaders being built, they are being built way faster than at launch though, at least. 58% and counting.

Last edited:

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Will keep an eye for impressions. If it's good, I might get it during the Summer Sale later this month.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
It runs better for me, but its still very CPU demanding, especially when going in to a new area. My frame rate fluctuates from 120-155, or as low as 105-110 when going to a new area.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
97% shader cache built in less than 10mins for main story. Still very long but much better. Hope it doesn't skip even more shaders like the most recent DF tech dive, that would be a step backward for me

update: Loaded up university chapter, perfect doesnt seems to improved at all, still 50fps on my 3080 as it was before from last patch.

Last edited:

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Welp, my Deck crashed when Sarah picks up the phone riiiight at the intro.

EDIT: I'm now at the car with Joel after a restart, 30FPS for now, will play until I'm clear of Robert's bit to see overall performance.

Last edited:

forrest

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to an updated performance review with steam deck info included.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
It shouldnt do that or it hasn't done that on my machine since a few update not long ago. Maybe you cam adjustment the texture streaming pool to cut down the number of assets being streaming as you play. Not of the pop in is not noticeable
I was going off previous DF reviews and not my own hardware.

Checked it and it's about the same as it was. The game runs better now but the choke points are still there and I'm still easily CPU limited on my 5900X/4090 when I use anything else but 4K+Ultra.
That's what I figured what would happen. The usage issues are obviously not quick fixes and I wonder if it will even be addressed. If they do, probably won't be released until the winter

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
So this port basically came in 3 months hot trying to capitalize on the show. Nice.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, the thirst for this game on Steam Deck is real lol
It's less thirst and more curiosity for me. I have no real desire to actually play the game on mine (I love it, but it's just not the sort of game I'd want to play on it). I just want to know if it runs decently now. It was atrocious on Deck when I tried it back at release, despite some neat things like Deck-specific button prompts and built-in gyro aim support.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I see they're not tired of flexing with the graphics settings available, they've added two new ones!

This game alongside Red Dead Redemption 2 and Gears 5 have some of the most comprehensive settings menus I've ever seen in a game.

• Added a new AI Quality setting in the graphics menu (Options > Graphics)
  • Added a new Dynamic Lights Quality setting in the graphics menu (Options > Graphics)

To be fair they had to, considering the game's state at launch and if they wanted people to trust them with the PC versions of Factions and Part II whenever those arrive.

Looking forward to impressions for sure.

Indeed, it was extremely disappointing to see a game ported by one of Sony's most technologically prestigious studios release in what was essentially an unplayable state. It has come a long way!

KrAzY

Sep 2, 2018
Good on them but shame they couldn't release it now, would have been more receptive

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
Hey EA, this is how you fix shitty releases. Pls pay attention.

Yeah no kidding. I completed the story for Jedi Survivor, but man if you don't have the patience for potential crashes I can imagine how frustrated others would be. My game crashed at least 20+ times with those 'Unreal Engine send crash report' pop-ups.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
So, I played the entire intro on my Deck and I faced the first humans you face on Robert's thing, and framerate is locked at 30. Having said that, it feels like there's something funky going on, most likely bad framepacing, cause it feels sluggish most of the time. Having said that, it's WAAAAAAAAY more playable than before, honestly I'm surprised.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022
I'm glad they're still updating this game. I luckily managed to finish the game and the DLC when it was first released with relatively minor issues and had a great time. This game didn't deserve the bad port it received.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
It's less thirst and more curiosity for me. I have no real desire to actually play the game on mine (I love it, but it's just not the sort of game I'd want to play on it). I just want to know if it runs decently now. It was atrocious on Deck when I tried it back at release, despite some neat things like Deck-specific button prompts and built-in gyro aim support.
I just want it to not run like ass on my 6700k cpu. If it can run on the deck it better run ok on that.
I hope I wasn't implying I was calling anyone out - I think a lot of the interest is not actually necessarily people who are going to play it on Deck, just what the performance can actually be like on a portable handheld with the Deck's specs (just like both of you are saying)

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
The lab encounter is still rough. It's an improvement, but there's no good reason why the game is running like this. Sorry Naughty Dog, but this still needs work.

JonnyTorso

Nov 2, 2017
MN
I hope I wasn't implying I was calling anyone out - I think a lot of the interest is not actually necessarily people who are going to play it on Deck, just what the performance can actually be like on a portable handheld with the Deck's specs (just like both of you are saying)
No worries lol. I just thought I'd clarify.