• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021

- Better facial animations
- Cinematics being re-created shot for shot to stay true to the original
- Same character models as part 2
- 1440p/60fps standard like TLoU part 2
- Modern gameplay, improved controls, and expanded accessibility
- Effects, combat, and exploration enhancement

What was shown from the part 1 remake wasn't enough for DF to dive deeper. So we will have to wait for either more gameplay footage or launch

Last edited:

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Oliver Mackenzie is a massive fan of The Last of Us, putting him in prime position to analyse the big improvements made to the remastered edition, as seen on PS5. Big boosts to detail, lighting animation and character rendering set the PS5 version apart from its predecessors - but it's in the comparisons to The Last of Us Part 2 that we perhaps get a better idea of what this new version will deliver.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
I would like to see comparison between TLOU Part 2 PS5 BC vs TLOU Part 1 PS5. Cus it seems there is nothing except resolution and still, maybe the res is still 1440p to achieve 60 FPS. So part one is just injected in part two as if it was a whole same game.

Edit: so it seems it is still 1440p, just like I expected a PS4 Pro game disguised as a PS5 game.

Last edited:

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone had to dunk on it by comparing cutscenes from the original to this remake when it was clear the real changes would be in the actual playing the game parts.

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, maybe they should have cut a trailer showcasing those rather than just cutscenes.

I still haven't even see the original showing because I was on vacation, just tons of takes and screengrabs of side by side comparisons. You're right, they probably should have done that.

Either way I am not personally interested in this remake, it's quite the emotional rollercoaster to play those games once.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Oliver Mackenzie seems to be wrong or have missed this detail: while the cutscenes in TLOU Remaster were not real time and were pre recorded videos, the game still used the exact highest poly and res models form those cutscenes unlike the original game. So "not being possible to use those high grades models in real time" is not true, cus they were even ingame models: https://www.polygon.com/2014/5/9/56...4-cutscene-character-models-higher-resolution

gearnuke.com

The Last of Us Remastered Cutscene Models Are Used In-Game, Confirms Naughty Dog; Models Compared

The Last of Us Remastered has been released on the PlayStation 4 and as more players are getting their hands on the game, we are getting more details

Confirmed by Naughty Dog's Senior Cinematics Animator and even with pics.

Edit: He explaiend the situation to me. He meant the original PS3 game:

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Seeing nothing that TLOU2 PS4 hasn't already done from a rendering tech point of view. Disappointing for a PS5 title.

OP
OP
Saladin

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Taking the part 2 route is the perfect decision. Facial animations looks more alive now

Having the same character model as part 2 is also good while still staying true to the original

ozumas

Born to be Wise
Dec 15, 2020
finished the video, it seems it used same resolution and game engine that TLOU 2.

But I can't complain a bit, TLOU2 is one of the best looking game ever. Models has no competition whatsoever

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Everyone had to dunk on it by comparing cutscenes from the original to this remake when it was clear the real changes would be in the actual playing the game parts.
Those cutscenes are a very big upgrade too can't wait to see more gameplay.

finished the video, it seems it used same resolution and game engine that TLOU 2.

But I can't complain a bit, TLOU2 is one of the best looking game ever. Models has no competition whatsoever
Yep seeing Last of us Part II quality here is going to be amazing, it still one of the better looking games even today.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing nothing that LOU2 hasn't already done from a rendering tech point of view. Disappointing for a PS5 title.

Don't get surpised, this game seems to have 100% staretd as a PS4 only game then Sony realized that they have a console called PS5 they need to support so in the last moment they switched it to PS5 only by canning the PS4 version without exploiting the PS5 from the groudn up. OFc they may never tell you this but PS5 owners needs to feel that they have their console supported somehow. Same as current gen consoles in general which what Capcom is doing with RE4 in a similar way.

ND and Cpacom will need few more years to shwo what they really can do on current gen.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Not sure why ND is alergic to reconstruction tech, even if they want to stick to native res, can't they at least bump the resolution up to 1620p. There seems to be a lot of headroom for Tlou2 running on PS5BC.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Not sure why ND is alergic to reconstruction tech, even if they want to stick to native res, can't they at least bump the resolution up to 1620p. There seems to be a lot of headroom for Tlou2 running on PS5BC.

Dunno maybe their current engine does not support it. there must be a reason why they don't allow it. Maybe it will cause a lot of artifacts in its current state.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Dunno maybe their current engine does not support it. there must be a reason why they don't allow it. Maybe it will cause a lot of artifacts in its current state.
I mean they do have some of the best TAA solution out there, one of the point of doing this kind of project and uncharted LOT collection was to get the team up to speed with PS5 hardware, this would be the best time to do R&D and implement new tech and take a look at this sort of thing. Especially with FSR 2.0 being out, there is simply no reason not to adopt it. Even if they decide to stick to a conventional method, bumping up the base res from 1440p to 1620p would still be a noticeable upgrade.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully they can figure it out before the multiplayer game.

I think the MP is longer in development by the main team and could be a true current gen title with updated code so we will see.

Speculation aside, that would then mean it should be able to hit 4K even more easily? As it isn't pushing the hardware as a "fully native PS5 game" would.

Not certain but if this game was made with the PS4 code and not tailored to use the PS5 architecture from the ground up, or maybe the engine itself is still not completely updated for the current console, then they may still hit that wall somehow even if they are still brute forcing things.
I am sure their next game will be a true ND game worth of the PS5 and will surely hit higher res even.

Last edited:

RayCharlizard

Nov 2, 2017
I could be misremembering but I swear I read when Uncharted 4 got its PS4 Pro patch (same upgrade as TLOU 2, straight 1440p resolution bump from 1080p) that they had tested checkerboard rendering and felt the image quality was just better at native 1440p. Granted there's newer reconstruction methods these days and even checkerboarding can have good and bad implementations (Horizon Forbidden West performance mode before and after patch 1.16) so it could just be that their research on reconstruction in their engine won't lead to anything until their next, true PS5 title.

MoonCoffee8

Banned
Aug 30, 2020
The energy put into complaining about this game could power a small country. Looks amazing, and people should wait for gameplay changes before commenting further.

Oct 27, 2017
Good analysis and lots of great side by sides.

I'm trying to think of what scene in the original game will be the most demanding in a remake. Possibly the outbreak in the city at the start. It's a tightly scripted sequence but I remember a lot of characters on screen.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I kept saying in the other thread, I just played TLOU Remastered last year for the first time and the visuals did not hold up as well as people remember, especially after having played current gen titles. The art style and attention to detail buoyed the presentation, but its Gen 7 roots were still clear to me, notably in terms of textures and animation. I am really looking forward to TLOU Part I, I think it's going to be really impressive when it comes out.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope this is one of those situations where they under-promise and over-deliver. 1440p60 would be very disappointing considering how much the PS4 Pro got shit for being a 1440p console instead of a 4K console. Now even in the next generation we have to deal with this. Some upscaling tech would at least soften the blow, like FSR 2.0.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
The energy put into complaining about this game could power a small country. Looks amazing, and people should wait for gameplay changes before commenting further.

The problem is not the game, the problem is mostly its price for what it is: A freaking 80 euros for a remake for the base game using PS4 engine on a PS5 of a game already remeastered from PS3 era minus even the online part This is a new height never reached before for current gen. Too much is too much.

I'm sorry, but using the same character models, frame rate, and resolution from Part 2 despite being "built from the ground up for PS5" is disappointing.

Zero chance I'm paying $70 for this game, as much as I love The Last Of Us. I'm sure the game is going to be fantastic but I'm not paying $70 for a project like this.

It was always a marketing campaign but many could see the camouflage behind it. Also if you are getting the US version you are lucky. It's 80 euros in Europe for base version so it costs even more whether in its value point or even currency point.

Last edited:

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

- Better facial animations
- Cinematics being re-created shot for shot to stay true to the original
- Same character models as part 2
- 1440p/60fps standard like TLoU part 2
- Modern gameplay, improved controls, and expanded accessibility
- Effects, combat, and exploration enhancement

What was shown from the part 1 remake wasn't enough for DF to dive deeper. So we will have to wait for either more gameplay footage or launch

I'm sorry, but using the same character models, frame rate, and resolution from Part 2 despite being "built from the ground up for PS5" is disappointing.

Zero chance I'm paying $70 for this game, as much as I love The Last Of Us. I'm sure the game is going to be fantastic but I'm not paying $70 for a project like this.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I am prepared to be even more impressed when gameplay is shown.

The character models, I guess you wanted a different looking Ellie for all 3 game?

She now looks like a younger version of herself from Part 2.....

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
This game being PS5 only was likely made so the game can ship on time in 2022. There is likely a few benefits to that, like not having the limitations of a HDD, how they take advantage of that remains to be seen.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
1440p? Didn't Neil say it was 4K when talking to Geoff?

I tnink many including dev use general term of 4K when games have a res higher than 1080p. XD

Oh man, I'm still processing that we're getting this on PC. I can't wait to see what Naughty Dog does with PC hardware, it's a dream come true.

IMHO, I don't think they gonna do a complete new game with many additions. I expect just the exact same game with better res and FPS. ND seems to not be fond of creating multiple versions of their games even on much higher hardwares. Uncharted PS5 is the proof for that and we will see this with PC version soon.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
We came a long way from PS3 version [directfeed 720p PNGs, resized to 4K to better compare to new PS5 directfeed shots]

tlou11odjai.jpg

tlou12bnkb0.jpg

1440P@60FPS? Seriously now?
With TAA, but no upscale to higher res.

ND is stubborn, PC players will get a chance to enjoy maximum image quality.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder where Yorker14 is now? He was apparently an insider that knew this game was going to have upgrades over TLOU 2 and wasn't essentially a game that could have been run on the PS4, but it was instead supposedly being worked from the ground up specifically for the PS5 hardware, which the changes would show.

Not that the game doesn't look great or anything, but it absolutely doesn't look like a PS5 exclusive at all.

There is likely a few benefits to that, like not having the limitations of a HDD, how they take advantage of that remains to be seen.

Not having to sit through ninety second loading screens would be nice. Up until this gen (current-gen titles at least), that was the hardest thing for me to stomach when going from PC back to console for any game.

Last edited:

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
This is TLoU in the TLoU2 engine. It is obviously not built for the ground up for PS5 in the most meaningful ways - changing the lighting system to some more advanced form of GI, massively increasing the geometry budget, upgrading the character models. I am kind of baffled why this isn't also on PS4.

Don't mistake me, I still think the game looks great and will play it, but suggesting this is really being remade for PS5 is misleading. Technically true, but not in the sense that they are actually pushing tech that targets the systems specs. This is effectively a cross gen game from the trailer, that doesn't have a last gen version. I mean I hope to be proven wrong by footage, but certainly it doesn't actually look less cross gen than stuff like Horizon FW (well I feel that game is doing way more) and GoW Ragnarok.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
I would like to see comparison between TLOU Part 2 PS5 BC vs TLOU Part 1 PS5. Cus it seems there is nothing except resolution and still, maybe the res is still 1440p to achieve 60 FPS. So part one is just injected in part two as if it was a whole same game.

Edit: so it seems it is still 1440p, just like I expected a PS4 Pro game disguised as a PS5 game.
PS4 Pro game was not running at 60FPS, but I know what you mean. This looks a lot like UC4 PS5 remaster situation - it will be 1440P60 and 4K30, with the similar/same kind of rendering features that their PS4 games used.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
PS4 Pro game was not running at 60FPS, but I know what you mean. This looks a lot like UC4 PS5 remaster situation - it will be 1440P60 and 4K30, with the similar/same kind of rendering features that their PS4 games used.

Yeah I expect the same too. Hopefully all dualsense features will be harnessed to the bone. I wish TLOU2 had native PS5 support to allow trigger support for bows. That woudl be dope. Dunno if they gonna add bows to TLOU1 but I doubt. I forgot TLOU had bows. It's been near a decade to remember all details. XD

This is TLoU in the TLoU2 engine. It is obviously not built for the ground up for PS5 in the most meaningful ways - changing the lighting system to some more advanced form of GI, massively increasing the geometry budget, upgrading the character models. I am kind of baffled why this isn't also on PS4.

Don't mistake me, I still think the game looks great and will play it, but suggesting this is really being remade for PS5 is misleading. Technically true, but not in the sense that they are actually pushing tech that targets the systems specs. This is effectively a cross gen game from the trailer, that doesn't have a last gen version. I mean I hope to be proven wrong by footage, but certainly it doesn't actually look less cross gen than stuff like Horizon FW (well I feel that game is doing way more) and GoW Ragnarok.

Exactly. Horizon dedicated a damn good work for PS5 version with crossgen and even exceeding what the PC maxed version of the first game offered. GOWR looks to do the same (but I doubt like HFW) but Uncharted just did nothing on PS5 and I don't expect them to do more on PC. Same for this Remake. I am almost sure that ND is not fond at all of doing multiple versions of their games so they settled for this by just injecting the PS4 version into PS5. They will only achieve what PS5 can do when they really start doing their next game for PS5.

Last edited:

azfaru

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Damn, my takeaway from this is that it's crazy how some shots of Part II on PS4 looks better than Part I on PS5. They really squeezed all the juice out of last gen. Can't wait to see what comes after this from them

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, the user is clearly talking about the level of fidelity. For a game "build from the ground up for PS5", he wanted more than TLOU2 (PS4) models. digitalrelic Please correct me.

Yep! That's exactly it.

If this was a cross-gen remake for $40-$50 I'd be interested. But a supposed "built from the ground up for PS5" game for $70?

Hell no.