Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely some downgrades here and there but to be honest it still looks fantastic.

Also some puddles removed again. Will Sony never be done with this madness?

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I think what impressed me the most about the E3 presentation, and I thought no way it would be like that in the final game, were the animations. And indeed, this is what the video seems to point out to, the demo was scripted. It felt like a movie, the animations all transitioned into one another flawlessly, which made the whole thing feel somewhat dishonest to me. Which was utterly unnecessary, as TLoU2 is a powerhouse technically.

Deleted member 6122

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still looks amazing but I remember people who didn't quite buy the E3 2018 demo getting shouted down a lot online, and yeah those people were overall correct, that was just not possible on even a PS4 Pro.

EDIT: And yeah those animations were staged as hell. Some of that stuff was clearly scripted.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, a lot of downgrades to be sure, but its like the witcher 3 in a way. It still looks so good that despite the downgrades its hard to feel to let down. Maybe this will be possible with a ps5 remaster

Deleted member 10675

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid
I think this was clearly not running on a PS4 at the moment, lighting has been obviously downgraded, no contact shadows, dynamic lighting doesn't affect foliage, very few dynamic lights cast shadows and, in general, everything looks much flatter.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very very clear downgrade, yet the game is still drop dead gorgeous. Its crazy how there isn't a peep here when people went fucking nuts over a puddle in Spider-Man.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Still looks amazing but I remember people who didn't quite buy the E3 2018 demo getting shouted down a lot online, and yeah those people were overall correct, that was just not possible on even a PS4 Pro.

EDIT: And yeah those animations were staged as hell. Some of that stuff was clearly scripted.
Oh, shit, I remember that, yeah. Embarrassing behavior from some people here as well.

Enforcer

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That demo always looked too good to be true even for PS4 Pro. The animations and lighting were impressive.

Blizz

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah no way those animations were gonna be in the final product, hopefully one day we get there.

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm what a surprise, all the people who thought the final build looked different were right and all the "it's a different time of day you idiots!" people were wrong.

(The game still looks astoundingly good.)

Nov 11, 2017
Overall great game but yeah a lot of that stuff was scripted like the enemy encounters/animations in the demo. Enemy A.I is still good to decent but no where near the e3 demo lol

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Biggest downgrades:

Animations
Modelling
Volumetric light effects

The game still looks good but no way was it going to match the demo from 2018

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I remember people dunking on that one dev for saying the animation looked fake

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Another game, another downgrade. That enemy collision effect downgrade is quite jarring.

But overall, the game still looks impressive.

Tappin Brews

#TeamThierry
Oct 25, 2017
the 2018 demo lighting looks MUCH better - that seems to be the biggest differentiator to me

Deleted member 27315

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's almost the same. But the 2018 was scripted to serve the presentation. This is the bigger difference.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think what impressed me the most about the E3 presentation, and I thought no way it would be like that in the final game, were the animations. And indeed, this is what the video seems to point out to, the demo was scripted. It felt like a movie, the animations all transitioned into one another flawlessly, which made the whole thing feel somewhat dishonest to me. Which was utterly unnecessary, as TLoU2 is a powerhouse technically.
Because that's how development works, those are their target and they can't show anything yet since the animation might be WIP at that point.
Very very clear downgrade, yet the game is still drop dead gorgeous. Its crazy how there isn't a peep here when people went fucking nuts over a puddle in Spider-Man.
Apparently shouldergate is a thing lol

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's definitely different, but the game still looks really fucking good. Also didn't that Tomb Raider head end up having to delete his twitter, after a bunch of people went after him for calling the animations "faked." Kinda feel bad for him now, I thought the final game would look like that at the time with ND's animation director calling him out and everything. Animations still look insanely good though.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Was surprised when I got to that part of the demo in the actual game. I tried replicating it (i've watched it about a hundred times I knew the beats by heart) and it was pretty much similar to the demo from a gameplay perspective. Visually though there are downgrades here and there so fingers crossed for that PS5 upgrade.

I think what impressed me more about the demo were the NPCs working with each other and I think the game has nailed that part so far, the scars definitely feel smarter than other NPCs in the game.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For sure. But still kind of shitty to call out other devs. Wasn't a good look regardless.
I strongly disagree with your take. It's a great thing to have more context, and to be able to see if something is possible, or bullshit. There's nothing wrong with that. In fact, i wish we had more people like him sharing their thoughts on demos / trailers.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Optimization is a hell of a drug. I think the key takeaway is the animation. This game is ND's most responsive cinematic game yet with a clear step up in animation quality from UC4, but, nowhere near as smooth as that demo. And it's most likely impossible to get a game to look THAT smooth and contextual while still feeling as responsive as this game does. Wonder if they'll be able to get the model and lighting quality back up to that demo in the ps5 version. Because that brute guy was basically a cutscene tier model being shown in gameplay.
Apparently shouldergate is a thing lol
That's for entirely different, incel related reasons than downgrades though.

Yeah it's definitely different, but the game still looks really fucking good. Also didn't that Tomb Raider head end up having to delete his twitter, after a bunch of people went after him for calling the animations "faked." Kinda feel bad for him now, I thought the final game would look like that at the time with ND's animation director calling him out and everything. Animations still look insanely good though.
Like, even if they were enthusiastic about what they'd be able to achieve using this demo as a reference point they really shouldn't have called him out for stating the obvious. Pretty sure everyone involved in the creation of that demo knew which bits were scripted for the presentation.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Optimization is a hell of a drug. I think the key takeaway is the animation. This game is ND's most responsive cinematic game yet with a clear step up in animation quality from UC4, but, nowhere near as smooth as that demo. And it's most likely impossible to get a game to look THAT smooth and contextual while still feeling as responsive as this game does. Wonder if they'll be able to get the model and lighting quality back up to that demo in the ps5 version. Because that brute guy was basically a cutscene tier model being shown in gameplay.

That's for entirely different, incel related reasons than downgrades though.
I was just finding something as ridiculous as puddlegate although any alt-right related outrage are the worst there is.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
it does look worse but not that significant

i always thought it was silly that people thought this game was upgraded though lol

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's insane the loyalty people have to ND. If this was about Bioware or some other dev that's currently in the doghouse, people would have been on the Tomb Raider guy's side.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Because that's how development works, those are their target and they can't show anything yet since the animation might be WIP at that point.

My point is that there was no way in hell the game could look like that. Maybe they thought it was possible, and then it would be unfair to call the trailer dishonest, but I think they were full aware that would not be the case. It's not simply about one animation looking good, it's transitions between a multitude of different ones. The final build of The Last of Us 2 looks like a game, the one from the E3 did not.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
What's shouldergate?
This post ended up getting like a 1000+ upvotes on the sub dedicated to shitting on this game.
k4pkjmushi151.png

Essentially, incels genuinely thought that by giving him better anatomy, that ND was insulting their masculinity. You'll notice that Neil Druckmann has changed his twitter bio to include, "abuser of shoulders" lmao.

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
A lot of things were scripted and some were downgraded, but i don't understand when people say that they "faked" things, yes they made animations for that specific demo but in the final game you have contextual animations for so many combat encounters that it is just wildly impressive.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This post ended up getting like a 1000+ upvotes on the sub dedicated to shitting on this game.
k4pkjmushi151.png

Essentially, incels genuinely thought that by giving him better anatomy, that ND was insulting their masculinity.

I can't help but laugh out loud at just how insecure and fragile these people are. Like, how do you have to have lived and been brought up to become like this?

Tifa's boobs. Joel's shoulders. What next lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Very good video and well spotted on the details.

Surprised they couldn't do the charector shading on the pro. That seems the biggest downgrade that could be restored on ps5 as well as elimating the pop in.

The animations are still a real step up and very good. I don't see any downgrades there except the destruction in the store.