• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In a podcast interview with the Game Maker's Notebook, Druckmann talked about the recent Paris Games Week trailer.

Referring to the incredible cinematic experience presented in Paris, he said: "This and some other parts are like the most polished parts of the game because we knew we were going to show them, and now it's like there's a daunting task ahead of us."

"We've got this slither of five minutes, now how do you make that into tens of hours of experience to look and feel that visceral, that kind of intensity? People don't see that the rest of it – at different stages – is a broken mess."

So this game is probably a long time away from release. RIP my dreams of a 2018 launch :(

Of course, I trust Druckmann and co. to get this right, they can take as much time as they want.

SOURCE

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They had a hard time with the original didn't they? Something like they didn't feel like it was fun until the final crunch.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
They showed it too early. Sony loves doing that these days lol.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
doesn't really sound like anything too serious to me. just a colourful way of describing what i imagine most developers feel about their games when they're 60% or so done.

but then again, with the first last of us they forgot to put an actual game in there so who knows.

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't he also think the original would bomb or something? Seems like he always makes these kinds of comments deep in dev cycles

Sir Guts

Use of alt account
Oct 26, 2017
Not expecting it before 2019 anyways + No matter how much of a mess it is right now, we know how will the end product look like

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Was not expecting it to be a 2018 title at all....i honestly think all well see next year is god of war and Detroit sliding in towards the end of the year with Spider-Man in the middle

jacks81x

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
IIRC he said at PSX the game was around 50-60% complete. So that makes sense that it's a broken mess right now.

SillyGoose

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Christmas 2019 release target. Will delay and be 2020 cross platform with PS5. Over a month delay for the PS5 version so people will buy it twice.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
LOL. Sounds like they are still pretty early. Not surprising since they just got the full team on board after LL. I don't think it will release in 2018 at all, now.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
I remember him saying TLOU was a broken mess until the final week or two of development. I've heard the same thing about the original Metroid Prime. Game development is hard.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Having read the excellent 'Blood, Sweat, and Pixels', I fear for the levels of crunch that this team will go through

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I wasn't expecting this before Fall 2019 at the earliest really. They had admitted that they moved almost the entire team to Lost Legacy to finish that out, and expectations are always rising.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it was even later.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Hopefully it just means they're really early, it needs time and work and that they'll give it all the time it needs instead of rushing it out for the almighty dollar.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Game development happened.

Technically ambitious projects are always herculean tasks.

Nothing happened, still in early dev - that snippet is a very small section of the game, still plenty of work to go

Nothing? It's a game in development.

Yes, but this was announced in 2016, at this point I would have thought that they were getting close to finish the game.

Based on what they're saying here, I wouldn't expect this until late 2019 now.

MCD250

Oct 27, 2017
I assume he means "broken mess" in the "normal game development" sense of the term.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a game in development.

Thought it being as PS4/PS5 release was expected anyway.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
What the? What happened?
Ongoing development. Every game looks like this until they find their hook if the game-direction and creative direction is strong enough. We know creative direction is in the box from the trailers as the visuals, graphics and tone mostly is in the bag but the game-director Bruce Straley of Uncharted 2, Last of Us and Uncharted 4 has been replaced in this project because he burnt out, took a sabbatical and then quit the company to start something else. It remains to be seen whether the successing game-director(s) can live up to that man's work. Largely ND remains the same crew as always but every now and again in big companies like this people come and people go, so chances are Part II might feel a little different. The impression I get from the interview snippet is that it's a little behind schedule to put it mildly.

Ricky_R

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
He's probably describing how's any of their games during full production. In any case, TLOU2 won't be a similar case to Uncharted 4, although it might be more ambitious.

Anyway, I don't think that line was anything more than the usual for AAA game development.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
That is pretty standard for games in development. I feel the point of that quote is that ND set their target with the polished 5 minute slice and are now in to hit that target for the whole project. Inferring anything beyond that is naive at best.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I assume he means "broken mess" in the "normal game development" sense of the term.
Yeah, that's how I see it. If the game's development was going abnormally, he wouldn't be telling it candidly like this. That's not something marketing would want to put out there.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It got that Square Enix "announcement when literally the only thing we have is a name and a cutscene" reveal.

It was never going to be 2018. 2019 if you are extremely lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.