demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I just beat the game for the first time and I need to organize my feelings. The end was rough. It was hard to get through.
Comments:
The final scene between Ellie & Joel hit me like a truck. The first time I put this game down was actually after Joel's death.
End fight. Just, should have been shorter, they were both near dead it seemed like.

Pros:
Storytelling (outside of pacing), acting, graphics, small little items of people reacting in certain ways, little movements in body/hand, the small stuff that REALLY sells scenes.
Despite the issues I have with the Abby storyline below I really liked her with Yara/Lev. At first I was actually really angry about playing as Abby as I discuss below for a few reasons, but the story they built up was well done, not perfect, and I can't say what it was missing but it was missing a little for me.
Issues:
-I didn't like that they took away the vagueness of the cure. It just seemed like they made it a 100% sure thing if they killed Ellie and that's not how science works. It retroactively hurts the first game because to me the first game was damn near perfect.
-Pacing seemed way off especially at the end when we're just time jumping and covering hundreds if not thousands of miles. I felt like they tried to do too much. Fuck Ellie, why didn't you stay, god dammit. I was yelling at my TV.
-I have two issues with Abby. First is playing through the game as Ellie and then from the perspective of Abby. First on that is having a fully leveled up Ellie going back to square one with Abby. They tried to fix this by overloading you with pills/scrap to try and catch up. I wonder if they tested playing 1 day each as they drew closer together and alternating. Or if that would have broken it up even more. The other thing with Abby is I appreciate her perspective but I'm not sure how I feel as a person controlling the character to play them after they brutally murdered one main character and then make the player almost kill the other one. I get that it's talking about the world in which they live but I'm not sure I like it as the actual player.
I guess a sub issue with Abby, on top of the shift, I didn't like her flashbacks, I get why they were there, I just thought it broke up gameplay unlike the Ellie ones, and I'm not sure why.

I'm not sure where I want a 3rd game to go. I'll likely come back but the first game to me is still near perfect whereas this game needs time for the feelings to settle but will be a bit behind. Right now though I'm leaning for a 3rd game to go somewhere else. Give me England, give me Germany, give me Japan. Really change it up. Need to digest more.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
I just beat the game for the first time and I need to organize my feelings. The end was rough. It was hard to get through.
Comments:
The final scene between Ellie & Joel hit me like a truck. The first time I put this game down was actually after Joel's death.
End fight. Just, should have been shorter, they were both near dead it seemed like.

Pros:
Storytelling (outside of pacing), acting, graphics, small little items of people reacting in certain ways, little movements in body/hand, the small stuff that REALLY sells scenes.
Despite the issues I have with the Abby storyline below I really liked her with Yara/Lev. At first I was actually really angry about playing as Abby as I discuss below for a few reasons, but the story they built up was well done, not perfect, and I can't say what it was missing but it was missing a little for me.
Issues:
-I didn't like that they took away the vagueness of the cure. It just seemed like they made it a 100% sure thing if they killed Ellie and that's not how science works. It retroactively hurts the first game because to me the first game was damn near perfect.
-Pacing seemed way off especially at the end when we're just time jumping and covering hundreds if not thousands of miles. I felt like they tried to do too much. Fuck Ellie, why didn't you stay, god dammit. I was yelling at my TV.
-I have two issues with Abby. First is playing through the game as Ellie and then from the perspective of Abby. First on that is having a fully leveled up Ellie going back to square one with Abby. They tried to fix this by overloading you with pills/scrap to try and catch up. I wonder if they tested playing 1 day each as they drew closer together and alternating. Or if that would have broken it up even more. The other thing with Abby is I appreciate her perspective but I'm not sure how I feel as a person controlling the character to play them after they brutally murdered one main character and then make the player almost kill the other one. I get that it's talking about the world in which they live but I'm not sure I like it as the actual player.
I guess a sub issue with Abby, on top of the shift, I didn't like her flashbacks, I get why they were there, I just thought it broke up gameplay unlike the Ellie ones, and I'm not sure why.

I'm not sure where I want a 3rd game to go. I'll likely come back but the first game to me is still near perfect whereas this game needs time for the feelings to settle but will be a bit behind. Right now though I'm leaning for a 3rd game to go somewhere else. Give me England, give me Germany, give me Japan. Really change it up. Need to digest more.

It's an utterly exhausting experience.

Some folks thought is was deep, emotional... Just a complete triumph of the medium.

I just found it to be too long, too bloated and too mean-spirited.
It's an excellent GAME. The story though was overwrought.

ScOULaris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I didn't realize that this thread was still occasionally active. I guess I'll share this video here since I just recently made it.

I haven't played TLOU2 again since its initial release, and making this video was a fun way to revisit it. Now that I have some distance from the game I think I can confidently say that it's one of the best games I've ever played.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How well does this run on a base PS4? Just dug out my PS4 after being abroad for some years and want to catch up on some stuff.

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
Oh I didn't realize that this thread was still occasionally active. I guess I'll share this video here since I just recently made it.

I haven't played TLOU2 again since its initial release, and making this video was a fun way to revisit it. Now that I have some distance from the game I think I can confidently say that it's one of the best games I've ever played.

Just noticed this with the recent bump. Good job! It's not easy editing one of these things together with this much music.

DreadfulOmen

Feb 6, 2018

Awesome!!

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
You know, after recently watching a lot of Let's Plays of this game (just love watching various people REACT to this game when playing for the first time), one big thing recently became apparent to me, which I never really thought about at all when I played this at launch:

I personally find it incredibly sad that Ellie and Abby part with Ellie still having absolutely no idea why Abby killed Joel.

As it is, they pretty much part with Ellie still thinking Abby is just some WLF rando pissed the cure wasn't developed or something, NO idea that Joel straight up murdered her father, who was the Firefly Doctor who wanted to develop a cure (something Ellie would have wanted if given a say in the matter), giving Abby a pretty compelling reason to do what she did. Not that it would have magically made things completely OK between Abby/Ellie but it certainly would have given a lot of context, and maybe a lot of people who died, maybe wouldn't have.

At very least maybe Ellie wouldn't have left the second time to go after Abby and cause the breakup of her family. But alas, if things didn't proceed as messily as they did, we wouldn't have gotten this game, so there's that, LOL

moonbeam

Nov 11, 2017
I'm just a few hours into the game - its great so far!

A question: when shooting I sometimes get a little red cross in my reticle. What does that signify?

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just a few hours into the game - its great so far!

A question: when shooting I sometimes get a little red cross in my reticle. What does that signify?

It means you got a headshot in which is an instant kill.

I don't know if it also happens when your final shot is the lethal one. It has been a long time ago since I played this.

moonbeam

Nov 11, 2017
It means you got a headshot in which is an instant kill.

I don't know if it also happens when your final shot is the lethal one. It has been a long time ago since I played this.
Thanks. I thought that's what it might be but I wasn't sure. Usually too much going on to make careful observations!

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I seem to remember seeing a video when this first came out where the player was able to mess with the accessibility options to highlight all the collectibles in the area clearly. I can't seem to find this option. I appreciate rooting around every corner, but this game is going to be so long, I'd like to know the way to speed up this particular part of the process. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
I seem to remember seeing a video when this first came out where the player was able to mess with the accessibility options to highlight all the collectibles in the area clearly. I can't seem to find this option. I appreciate rooting around every corner, but this game is going to be so long, I'd like to know the way to speed up this particular part of the process. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

iirc there is an Auto-Pickup option in the accessibility menus that allow you to just auto-pickup anything you walk around. I'm not sure on highlights but i'm sure that's in there somewhere too?

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Going through for the 13th time.

I absolutely love the small section before
ground zero

The walk and talk along with the music is such a great way to build up what's coming next.

Last edited:

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
just started grounded for the first time (PS5 backwards compat)

sneaking through every area possible, failing many times and then trying again many times has turned out to be quite enjoyable

Saladin

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 27, 2021
Playing this for the first time and so far I'm loving it. I enjoyed part 1 a lot. What made me wait all this time? My fault for reading the shit people were giving this game.

I felt disappointed and decided not to play it especially that the shit this game got was coming from fans of the first one.

This is the first and last time I let some words get into me and get me disappointed. Maybe I'll hate the game when I progress more who knows? But 2 hours in I'm absolutely loving it

Clean game and juicy 60fps is always a YES

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Playing this for the first time and so far I'm loving it. I enjoyed part 1 a lot. What made me wait all this time? My fault for reading the shit people were giving this game.

I felt disappointed and decided not to play it especially that the shit this game got was coming from fans of the first one.

This is the first and last time I let some words get into me and get me disappointed. Maybe I'll hate the game when I progress more who knows? But 2 hours in I'm absolutely loving it

Clean game and juicy 60fps is always a YES
Well it is a somewhat divisive game even among fans who don't belong to that crowd.
I loved it and would put it up there with my favorite games of all time, just like the first one. Hope you end up loving it in the end as well!

Trigger