• Grounded Mode
  • Permadeath
  • New unlockable gameplay modifiers
  • Accessibility improvements

Patch 1.08 (free) May 2021
  • 60 FPS on PS5
blog.playstation.com

The Last of Us Part II performance patch for PS5

Play The Last of Us Part II, targeting 60 FPS, on PS5 now.

Just say Xbox if you want it's ok.
Sony are very good one adding free stuff with patches and ND as the same..

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
It's a remaster, not a remake to a game that still looks better than most games today with extra modes/content added for $10 upgrade. Why are people so angry. What did they expect from it. Did the entire dev team at ND come to you house taking turns kicking your pet cat or something...

Didn't you hear? ND did something incredibly controversial in The Last of Us Part 2 that firmly put them in "bitch eating crackers" status in perpetuity... /s

But, seriously, some folks can make a shit sandwich out of filet minon.

I mean, I spent $10 on my dinner last night, and it's gone forever now. I spend $10 on this upgrade to a fantastic game, and it's not going anywhere, at least anytime soon (I mean, there's always a possibility with a digital game that it eventually gets delisted, or the PS6, 7, 8, etc, isn't backwards compatible, but you get the point lol), and I can play and replay it to my hearts content, and if the rogue mode is as cool as it sounds, I might end up investing more hours than I did playing through the campaign (which was something like 40-50 hours because I took my time with it and was so engrossed in the world.

Honestly a really incredible post; one of the best I've seen on this website, hidden under a spoiler note in a random thread. Thanks for expressing your energy and knowledge into the scene.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read it. My posts tend to go pretty long, and I don't mean to, but I've worked in the gaming industry for nearly 20 years now, and it's been such an eye opening and rewarding experience that I like to provide as much insight into the things I've learned and experienced about how games are made, and the decisions that go into the development process as best I can!

It is nice that they at least added a new mode because we already know from Ghost of Tsushima that Sony is perfectly okay with asking for 10$ for minimal graphical upgrades and dual sense features

Didn't Sucker Punch also release the rather impressive and way more in depth than it had any right to be Legends mode for free before they released the native PS5 version they charged $10 for?

Legends definitely required SP to invest time, resources, and budget into developing it, yet they released it as a free update. Then, when porting it to the PS5, that also required additional time, resources, and budget to implement PS5 features and whatever else they did to that version (I can't recall if they improved some of the textures and draw distances, but it was such a beautiful game already).

They may have charged $10 for the PS5 upgrade, but Legends was more than likely significantly more work since they had to create a lot of new assets, on top of engineering and network functionality for the co-op, and was released for free. I do know they did eventually release a stand alone version of Legends that was paid, but it's not like anyone that owned GoT already had to move over to that version if they didn't want to. It was just a nice option for those that really wanted to play the co-op mode without having to get the base game.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
They do this pretty much with all their games have a PS4 version. A remake is vastly different then a remaster.

This isnt some special one time thing I so I dont quite get where this narrative came from.
I am happy they are doing this but I am legitimately surprised. They have been charging $10 upgrade fees for simple graphical enhancements for the past year (GT 7 and GoW:R) so the same price for significantly more is surprising to me.

hydro94530

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
Fuck anything rogue or rogue-like, but damn this looks awesome and I'm all for any new content in the campaign!!

Edit: Damn! Didn't realize there were dumb asses actually complaining about this lol. But I should know better by now.

Oct 27, 2017
This sounds great, idk if I can stomach the story again but it will have been 3.5 years so maybe. My guess is they want to time this since show films next season in January, so that show comes out early 2025 and then in 2025 they reveal their next big game

$10 upgrade surprises me and makes me happy

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
vMaFjMu.jpg

Ripped some store page assets to make this, at least for those interested with a wallpaper.​
Looks spectacular. Thanks.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I should be upset at this, but I can't. At most it is disappointing that this is their third rerelease in a row.

Some people will fall over the fact that the game is only a few years old and that it doesn't need a remaster, but were fine with early gen upgrades like GoT and DS.

There's an upgrade cost, but there also is additional content and improvements, the price seems fair. The already impressive PS4 on PS5 isn't going away, thought I noted its current PSN sale price is higher than the game has been on sale for the last year.

Just don't fuck up the next project in the hopper.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
The elephant is that Neil Druckmann is Jewish and people are racist.

They've largely been reprimanded on this forum for trying to push narratives about him that aren't true, so now they hide behind serious sounding but vague insinuations.

Are you serious with that post??

Neil explicitly stated the game pulls from that conflict. From his own words. How is his religion relevant ffs??

I'm referring to the fact I won't feel comfortable playing a game that's based on a conflict that's currently turned into a genocide but somehow that's racist to you. Jesus fucking christ.

Sedated

Apr 13, 2018
If not multiplayer at least now there's a roguelike mode. Now bring it to pc.

lol, it's a bit early in the day for such hardcore corporate bootlicking. Very much naive if you honestly believe the developers wages matter to them at all or need this $10 desperately or they'll be out on the street.

I remember when the generation started and we all rightly pointed out that $10 upgrades were horseshit, but apparently people have such short memories, but maybe that explains why some also think a game merely 3.5 years old needs remastering.
Still better than paying 60$ for ports. Easy to guess which corpo boot you lick.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm more interested in the lost levels than anything else. Something about cut content from games is just so exciting, from Sonic, Chrono Trigger and the OG Demon's Souls and so many other games. It's going to be hard to not watch videos when it launches lol.

luca

Oct 25, 2017

It does as others have said. One of the trophies is actually related to fully upgrading all of your weapons, and you don't get enough resources to do that in one run.
I see. So can I change the difficulty on a New Game Plus run. Like, if I beat it on Normal on my first run, can I change it to a harder difficulty on my New Game+ run?

jayu26

Oct 25, 2017
Are you serious with that post??

Neil explicitly stated the game pulls from that conflict. From his own words. How is his religion relevant ffs??

I'm referring to the fact I won't feel comfortable playing a game that's based on a conflict that's currently turned into a genocide but somehow that's racist to you. Jesus fucking christ.
Yes, Neil said that. And what did he say? Keep going, so you are so close.

Maybe the game has something important to say about said conflict. Which would make it even more relevant to current situation.

TheSantry

Dec 25, 2017
Happy to upgrade my PS4 copy for $10 when there's new content, visual upgrades, 3D audio and DualSense features. TLOU2 was one of my favorite games from the PS4. I haven't played it since it launched in 2020 so I'm happy I waited now that the expanded remaster is finally confirmed.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
My understanding is that iron galaxy does the pc ports, not the remasters themselves, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Iron Galaxy was the main team behind the Uncharted port on PC, but they were a support studio for the PC version of Part I, which was mainly handled by Naughty Dog themselves.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Yes, Neil said that. And what did he say? Keep going, so you are so close.

Maybe the game has something important to say about said conflict. Which would make it even more relevant to current situation.

Again - I didn't mention Niels as a person. I think anyone playing the "both sides" argument is a coward but the fact that an Israeli born person chooses this stance makes it somewhat ok in my book.

My issue is the game is inspired by someone's view of an ongoing real life conflict. And that someone is affiliated to the oppressor in that conflict.

I wouldn't be comfortable playing a game directed by a Russian that draws inspiration from the Russia - Ukraine war.

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I've been hugely critical of Sony in the last few years when it comes to remasters and upgrades but in this case they seem to be offering a good package and with the 10 bucks upgrade path I see no problems at all. Well, except they should have announced the PC version too but, as always, we'll have to wait for that.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
For what it's worth I can recall not everyone loving the handling of that in TLOU2. I remember there being critics at the time who were, well, critical of that aspect of the game. Not because it was touching on or even largely based on that conflict but because of how that story telling was handled. That said, I can't really elaborate beyond that as that was over 3 years ago at the height of COVID lockdown, my memory is faulty/shakey on specifics and I never played through the game myself.

I will say, this game is going to be a big topic again when the remaster launches and again whenever season 2 of the show drops. I've followed the coverage of the TLOU series closely over the years and even though TLOU as a series doesn't hold a lot of appeal to me (I've tried TLOU1 multiple times and just never felt a pull to stick with it) being able to properly educate myself on this aspect of TLOU2's story in particular may be the thing that finally pushes me over the edge to properly play through both myself. I largely know the stories of both games (TLOU1 especially) but I would like to know TLOU2 more properly so that I can have a better understanding on what people are saying about it.

There was no chance of me playing through either TLOU game at the early height of COVID lockdown as I needed escapism from my games at that time. Now, I'm looking forward to this.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda freaking me out that it's apparently been over 3 years since this first released.

I've always intended to replay it but I knew this would come eventually so I figured I might as well wait. Also I wasn't ready to relive the trauma, but I think I am now.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
So question... Does anyone else think this is leading to a Factions 2 release, or is it dead? And if we do get one, will it be PS5 only?

TLOU Online is still in development, but all we know from ND is that they need more time for it. I wouldn't draw any conclusions on its release based on TLOU2 Remastered, they're separate projects.

LordFlash

Mar 24, 2023
I dont get people being mad. If you already own this, 10$ for an upgrade and some DLC is actually not a bad deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.