OP
OP
vestan

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017

BUNTING1243

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone find any good articles or interviews on this game? I really dug Waypoint's spoilercast but haven't seen much else.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
See this is probably why ND is happy with the outcome of the game. I can't think of the last game where we had 3 OT Spoiler Threads. It has been more than a month and we're still discussing this game 😅

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
Should have been called "The Last of Us Part II - Spoiler Thread Part III, baby girl"

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Anyone find any good articles or interviews on this game? I really dug Waypoint's spoilercast but haven't seen much else.
A few I have liked:
medium.com

Justice, Freedom, and The Self: What Ellie Sacrifices (and Salvages) in The Last of Us Part II

A thorough exploration of the game’s narrative implications

medium.com

Broken People, Broken Worlds: Thoughts on The Last of Us Part II

PLEASE NOTE: This piece is intended as post-game reading. It discusses plot events in detail, including the ending.

www.polygon.com

The personal experiences that Lev and Yara’s actors brought to The Last of Us Part 2

"I would take a hammer to the arm for any of my siblings, and I know they’d do the same for me."

www.fanbyte.com

The Last of Us Part II Shows a Gender Double Standard for Violence

Ellie's violence in The Last of Us Part II feels like it's judged more harshly than the equally brutal violence of her father figure.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
See this is probably why ND is happy with the outcome of the game. I can't think of the last game where we had 3 OT Spoiler Threads. It has been more than a month and we're still discussing this game 😅

And even when it dies down, you know people will still discuss it for years to come.

Personally, I wish we had a permanent discussion about TLOU2 here until Part III comes out (if it does, if not - then until 2030. or something).

TheBarrylad

Jul 13, 2020
Okay game, you should have been able to kill Abby at the end though, and then Dina is still at the farm and they get ice cream.

Zachary_Games

Jul 31, 2020
I had the privilege of being the last post in the previous thread... so forgive me for reposting lol

————————————————————————————————————————

That other review thread is something else. Are there any other games where the "ludonarrative" critique is applied to outside of TLoU and Uncharted?

I never thought gameplay should necessarily be considered canon for the story, but I do believe the gameplay should convey a sense of tension, horror, danger, excitement, wonder, fantastical, etc., that complements the themes presented by the story.

Of course, any game that blends the lines of gameplay and story in a meaningful and FUN (emphasis on FUN) way should be lauded. In my opinion, TLoU:II succeeds on this front.

IMO, TLoU:II is the absolute best at using gameplay as a means to create urgency, direness, danger, and tension that a world as fucked as it is in TLoU universe demands. These feelings carry over into the story presentation that allows for maximum narrative impact.

For example, the zombie chase after the subway sequence. My heart was fucking pounding and my stress levels were screaming flee, flee, flee. Finding safety and agreeing with Dina to take shelter inside of the theater game me real stress relief.

Literally, I took a deep breath of relief and my heart rate dropped. Then my heart rate rose again after that relief was shattered by the realization Dina is indeed pregnant. A real sense of overwhelming fuck took over and I felt exactly as Ellie felt.

This is one example of many over 25+ hours why TLoU:II is mastercraft. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. There are other examples of mastercraft stories in games from this generation. Games like God of War and TW3 belong in this category. But TLoU:II stands tall above even those two. It's an amazing achievement and hopefully this takes game storytelling to the next level next-gen.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy that we're already on thread 3.

I'm still disappointed in the game - that Ellie and Abby can't suplex enemies.

ArchLector

Apr 10, 2020
Such a mediocre game - I mean who cares if it does completely novel things with the medium, humans were telling stories in caves.

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
Its crazy how the game has been out for over a month now and the discussion about the game keeps going. I keep debating if TLoU2 or RDR2 is my GoTG lol

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I had the privilege of being the last post in the previous thread... so forgive me for reposting lol

————————————————————————————————————————

That other review thread is something else. Are there any other games where the "ludonarrative" critique is applied to outside of TLoU and Uncharted?

I never thought gameplay should necessarily be considered canon for the story, but I do believe the gameplay should convey a sense of tension, horror, danger, excitement, wonder, fantastical, etc., that complements the themes presented by the story.

Of course, any game that blends the lines of gameplay and story in a meaningful and FUN (emphasis on FUN) way should be lauded. In my opinion, TLoU:II succeeds on this front.

IMO, TLoU:II is the absolute best at using gameplay as a means to create urgency, direness, danger, and tension that a world as fucked as it is in TLoU universe demands. These feelings carry over into the story presentation that allows for maximum narrative impact.

For example, the zombie chase after the subway sequence. My heart was fucking pounding and my stress levels were screaming flee, flee, flee. Finding safety and agreeing with Dina to take shelter inside of the theater game me real stress relief.

Literally, I took a deep breath of relief and my heart rate dropped. Then my heart rate rose again after that relief was shattered by the realization Dina is indeed pregnant. A real sense of overwhelming fuck took over and I felt exactly as Ellie felt.

This is one example of many over 25+ hours why TLoU:II is mastercraft. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. There are other examples of mastercraft stories in games from this generation. Games like God of War and TW3 belong in this category. But TLoU:II stands tall above even those two. It's an amazing achievement and hopefully this takes game storytelling to the next level next-gen.
Completely agree with all of that. The gameplay works incredibly in tandem with everything in the story and they are symbiotic.

Sejanoz

Nov 10, 2017
Thread 3! Decided to put the game back on and try my hand at slow-mo (no audio because it glitches when sped up):

(I overdid it a bit lol)

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
The spoiler thread reaching Part III should be proof that we deserve a Part III.

Please Naughty Dog 😭

SkullHydra

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Feb 20, 2018
Finally grabbed that Platinum a few days ago. Even though I had just beaten the game, playing through it again was super emotional. Such an expertly made game. Sheesh.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
This is like top 3 of the generation for me. Enjoyed it even more than the first game.