• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1674085197158002689
FzuK4nKX0AE3HxO

NioA

Dec 16, 2019
I read €220 million and I'm not sure if this is correct lol
Funny either way, it's nice to have numbers for games when you want to consider the budget and how much the million copies sold are actually worth

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
These numbers make sense. Kind of hard to read, but if it is around the 200-220 million range, then it probably is correct. Amount of employees * amount of years * amount of outsourcing (not mentioned here) * physical location of most regular employees / main studio.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
I recommend putting what the redactions are in the OP. Some people might have trouble seeing / reading

JehutyRunner

Oct 26, 2017
For those who couldn't make it out (and even I struggled and tbh may still be wrong here):

Horizon Forbidden West - $212 million
The Last of Us: Part 2 - $220 million

Lt. Hannah Stone

Alt-Account
Banned
May 9, 2023
Pretty insane. I would be okay dubbing games at this budget scale "AAAA," despite sounding completely absurd. It's clearly a difference from other AAA games. Rockstar would be in this tier as well.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
People called me crazy when I said TLOU2 costed north of 200m to make.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
It's just a miracle that these things actually get made.

The increasing costs and demands on headcount just aren't sustainable in the long run.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Damn that's higher than I expected especially if this number doesn't include marketing costs.

Oct 25, 2017
Hot take but maybe we should have been more upset about paying $50 for games in the 90's than paying $70 for games now.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Looks like many of us were off the mark when it came to game budgets. They "prestige" titles have ballooned a lot it seems.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
As someone who played and enjoyed both games, I'm grateful that SIE are willing to pump that much time and money into their blockbuster titles. TLOU Part 2 is my GOAT.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
so does that mean neither game has made a profit yet? (im bad at math so forgive me) im more talking about tlou2 as hfw hasnt been out that long

Raigor

May 14, 2020
People shouldn't be surprised by these numbers.

It's only going up from now on and that's partially why Sony is pivoting to GAAS as well.

so does that mean neither game has made a profit yet? (im bad at math so forgive me) im more talking about tlou2 as hfw hasnt been out that long

They made profits but after selling a couple of millions to break even first.

Like, at least 3-4 million units at full price to break even and maybe even more if marketing costs are crazy.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
and this is why i stopped complaining about games having lower quality side character animation and stuff like that Because as impressive HFW is in this regard, its so expensive that its kinda unrealistic to expect it consistently from the industry

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
If it's true that this is before marketing, that both makes perfect sense and also WOW that'salottamoney.

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
To break even at $70, you need to sell 3 million copies.
Its probably closer to 3.5 million - 4 million to safely break even. There are CC fees Sony in particular would have to account for so take like 1-2% off that $70. And that is assuming that every copy of their game is sold digitally which is not true.

And yeah, as pointed above, marketing needs to be factored in too. So might be north of 4 million to safely do it.

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
That's just development costs, it doesn't include marketing, which is likely even higher. This isn't surprising personally but it explains a lot on why they're now releasing the games on PC and trying to pivot to GAAS in order to keep making these types of games.

GaussTek

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, that's in line with big budget movies, and considering the time it takes to develop them I honestly expected a lot more lmao

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
This is kinda the issue with constantly chasing the best graphical updates each time: shit balloons really fast.

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017

TLOU Part 2 sold over 4 million copies in its first 3 days. If we ignore special editions and only use a baseline of $60 USD per game, that's 240 million dollars in revenue in just that time.

We don't have a similar 3 day breakdown for Horizon FW, but we only the game was sitting at 8.4 million units sold after about a year. It's safe to say both games would've made a profit, even factoring in marketing costs.