• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
It's pretty amazing how anyone can just jump on YouTube, spew fake news and bullshit and get thousands of followers

Amazing how the bullshit spreads and sticks, too. The number of times I've seen people calling TLJ a bomb that was going to kill Star Wars, or that it was widely hated by audiences is just nuts; I mean those are facts and figures you can just go and look up. The myth that Mark Hamill hated the movie persisted even after Mark Hamill himself personally refuted it multiple times. At a certain point you just can't tell people things if they don't want to believe them, especially when there are so many voices out there willing to say all the things they do want to hear.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
These aren't Star Wars fans. Hell, one of the channels they showcase in this video never posted a single Star Wars video before TLJ. They jumped on a hate bandwagon.

Unfortunately the people that follow them usually are fans. A couple of friends of mine that were HUGE lifelong SW fanatics eat this schlock up. One of them posted a Geeks + Gamers stream with a guest who claimed that Rian Johnson plagiarized TFA fanfics for the plot of TLJ. He said he would get the fanfic/script pages notarized and prove that Johnson was a hack.
When I pointed out all the ways that claim was ridiculous, my friend said "I hope so but I'll wait till he notarizes them"

OP
OP
ManaByte

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Unfortunately the people that follow them usually are fans. A couple of friends of mine that were HUGE lifelong SW fanatics eat this schlock up. One of them posted a Geeks + Gamers stream with a guest who claimed that Rian Johnson plagiarized TFA fanfics for the plot of TLJ. He said he would get the fanfic/script pages notarized and prove that Johnson was a hack.
When I pointed out all the ways that claim was ridiculous, my friend said "I hope so but I'll wait till he notarizes them"

That's the stupidest shit I've ever heard from these idiots. Notarizing doesn't prove anything. You want to prove he stole from fan fiction? Do it in court, but they can't so they're being epic dumbasses in front of a webcam.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I just hope episode IX can manage to undo the damage TLJ has done.

Those hate feeding assholes were there for TFA and had no traction whatsoever.

The reason they took off is because a huge portion of people hated TLJand with the way any person hating it was grouped up with these people by the defenders, it just turned every discussion into a shit hole.

Literally started being bearable being in a SW thread after the IX trailer that at least got people curious and hopeful.

I don't really think a large portion of people did hate TLJ though, just a large portion of the hardcore fanbase vocal on the Internet.

I also don't think that anyone that hated the movie was grouped up with the toxic shitheads. It was mainly the people who used the exact same talking points as those toxic shitheads and kept posting their YouTube videos as some kind of evidence of validity

OP
OP
ManaByte

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I don't really think a large portion of people did hate TLJ though, just a large portion of the hardcore fanbase vocal on the Internet.

I also don't think that anyone that hated the movie was grouped up with the toxic shitheads. It was mainly the people who used the exact same talking points as those toxic shitheads and kept posting their YouTube videos as some kind of evidence of validity

And then they claim "But I didn't know this channel saying Make Star Wars Great Again was alt-right!"

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
That's the stupidest shit I've ever heard from these idiots. Notarizing doesn't prove anything. You want to prove he stole from fan fiction? Do it in court, but they can't so they're being epic dumbasses in front of a webcam.
I mentioned that, lol. I checked out the guest's channel and it was full of things like that. One about how he heard from someone who'd seen Trevorrow's script and it was what fans wanted, had multiple videos about how bad Kathleen Kennedy is and how everyone hates her. Part of me wants to find that guy again but it's probably best if I don't.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OK, I've watched the whole thing now. It was a good watch.

I had no idea so many of the rumors started with the daily express. And all pretty much from one journalist lol

Anytime you see British tabloids quoting 'sources' that's the indicator that they've just made it up.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Man, I feel like this title is misleading. These people aren't Star Wars fans. In real life - not YouTube - everyone I know who is an actual SW fan (myself included) enjoyed the new movies, even if they had a few issues. We're all excited for IX.

OP
OP
ManaByte

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
It's incredible how childish and petulant and ignorant these people are. Hard to believe they are adults. They are everything wrong with today's internet culture.

They're adults living with their parents. One even had to apologize in a video for their "set" looking different because their mom cleaned their room.

Oct 25, 2017
Leaving all the gross sexism aside, the funniest all those guys are is when they talk about business and show that they have absolutely no fucking idea what they are talking about.

ultracal31

Oct 25, 2017
Deeply amused at that one part with grace top ten movies movies of 2019 so far being all corporate money makers

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who didn't totally love TLJ, I basically don't really talk about it that much just because I don't want to be seen like these hard core idiots.

Side note: Psyco-analysing movies consistently for political subtext is the worst. They have put into their heads that there is this huge AGENDA by social justice advocates, so naturally they see everything through that the lense. They are ruining the franchise for THEMSELVES.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
I like them pointing out a couple of sources the lies came from that everything else incestuously circled jerked with; every single time with this bullshit it's a couple of ringleaders pulling a crowd of idiots. Also liked the guy who seemed like one of those but accidentally developed self-awareness as their video went on.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
halfway through the video

i would really be embarrassed to be related to all these fucking bozos :s

that guy who rants while running LOL

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
These same people have dug themselves in a hole that no matter what they will say Star Wars is dead. When presented with actual facts to why Galaxy's Edge may not be packed 24/7 you always see responses with "Well" or "But." They don't care about facts. They care about views as was shown in one of the Geeks and Gamers clips.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
HOW THE FUCK IS KYLO BEING A SKYWALKER A COPOUT?!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT THE FUCK ARE THESE PEOPLE

Freeglader

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 13, 2017
Why do people in fandom feel so entitled over these things? How can we fix this problem?

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
"Rose and Paige are underrated as fuck"
That at the end of a 49 minute video made it all worth it. Because it's true.

It was a good video besides of course.

Wogan

Oct 28, 2017
Finally someone dragging the Express for their saturation of google searching with utter nonsense.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Folks like this really screwed up the SW's discourse. You can dislike TLJ without being an alt-right loser but actually critique the movie in good faith. Don't come into a discussion with conspiracy theories or intentional misreadings of the film.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Rocco's Modern Life special is a slam dunk in how it deals with toxic modern fan-criticism.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The dude sprinting through 90 degree heat in a hoody ranting about Kathleen Kennedy 100 percent has an active ERA account

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The dude sprinting through 90 degree heat in a hoody ranting about Kathleen Kennedy 100 percent has an active ERA account

It's easy to other the people in those videos as Trump supporters and alt-righters that is 'not one of us' but you are right, the way arguments are presented and rants are structured are not much different from what you see here on this forum.

We are delusional to think we aren't like these people. There are many posters here who act exactly like these people.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Damn strong start to the video, but boy it's tough watching all the alt-right grandstanding and CinemaSins plothole-ery all over again, even if the video is rebutting all of it. The TLJ furore took months to die down, and I'm not looking forward to the inevitable shitstorm around Episode IX.

In related news, thanks to the new 'Not Interested' option on Youtube I'm finally free of that "TLJ IS A COMPLETE CINEMATIC FAILURE" video that the algorithm has been trying to get me to watch for like a solid year :P
Oh hey I remember when YouTube was desperetly trying to get me to watch that video lol.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
I just hope episode IX can manage to undo the damage TLJ has done.

Those hate feeding assholes were there for TFA and had no traction whatsoever.

The reason they took off is because a huge portion of people hated TLj and with the way any person hating it was grouped up with these people by the defenders, it just turned every discussion into a shit hole.

Literally started being bearable being in a SW thread after the IX trailer that at least got people curious and hopeful.

This 100%. TLJ was a shit movie, and as a result people began to tear it apart and listen to any and all arguments as to what the reasons were. There were the same people complaining about a "black jedi" and "mary sue" with TFA, no one cared. If people actually enjoyed TLJ, they wouldn't be tuning into watch videos about "why it sucked" and exposed to all the sexist/racist/anti-sjw arguments. As it would turn out, it had the sharpest week to week decline of any SW movie and the lowest merch sales, and when Solo came out it was largely ignored.

The Solo situation is a whole other issue, but it's kind of crazy it did less than any Marvel movie outside of Phase 1 Cap, if I remember correctly. Even Justice League and Ant Man & The Wasp beat it at the box office domestically too. You don't get those numbers unless there is a lack of interest in your franchise anymore, and Solo is a far more interesting concept than A&W and a much higher quality movie than JL.

How does that explain the same crop of people shitting on captain marvel and suddenly "Woke" Phase 4 for the MCU.
Bigots going to bigot. End of the day, Captain Marvel made 1 billion and at worst the majority of people think it's average. She was a highlight of Endgame too, and Marvel's audience will turn out for whatever "woke" films they make. Because they make good films and have gotten people invested in the worlds and franchises.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
In related news, thanks to the new 'Not Interested' option on Youtube I'm finally free of that "TLJ IS A COMPLETE CINEMATIC FAILURE" video that the algorithm has been trying to get me to watch for like a solid year :P
What is the algorithm's obsession with that single shitty video anyway?

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Interesting how I've heard almost all these arguments word for word on this forum, but toned down so far as to not throw out terms like SJW.

I wonder where ERA got these talking points? Surely they weren't watching these videos!

I'm confident that they all just independently reached the same conclusions.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is a great video. Man TLJ has to be the most talked about movie of all time. Rian is a genius IMO

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting how I've heard almost all these arguments word for word, but toned down so far as to not throw out terms like SJW.

I wonder where ERA got these talking points? Surely they weren't watching these videos!

I'm confident that they all independently drew the same conclusions.
Ya it's obvious a lot of era members watch this crap

Oct 25, 2017
I do my best to try not watch Star Wars videos so I don't have absolute trash in my recommendations
Interesting how I've heard almost all these arguments word for word on this forum, but toned down so far as to not throw out terms like SJW.

I'm confident that they all independently drew the same conclusions.
Surely not popular YouTube film reviews from middle age white men from Wisconsin or a known plothole hunting zoophile aren't a pipeline to this.

No sir.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
The best thing about these videos is watching people with no cultural knowledge, no film studies education, no argumentative/debate skills, no business sense, and no real world life experience try to "take down" Kathleen Kennedy.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I'm taking frenzy damage from watching the clips of these bozos in the video. Holy shit