• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
found this pretty interesting and on point:

Except the cracking sound isn't Ganondorf's neck snapping back into place, since it just turns to look at Zelda, it sounds like it is breaking loose from all the petrification from however many years it's been down there. I still believe all this is just a call back to familiar scenes in past games for those of us enriched in the games and lore and nothing more. This would also be a big turn from Aunoma's comments about BotW being so far past all the other games they are just considered myths.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Clearly they're hiring for the game because the development is troubled and everything's falling apart behind the scenes

;)

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a theory. The "malice" isn't coming from Ganondorf's body, it's coming from the sacred realm/dark realm, using Ganondorf's body as a conduit. He was "used" by the Sheikah (or whomever) to be a seal to close off the sacred realm after it was turned into the dark realm (by him, presumably).

So the malice, all of the monsters from BotW, and Calamity Ganon itself are all just "echoes" of the evil that is waiting in the sacred realm trying to break through into Hyrule, and once the seal is opened and Ganondorf wakes up, Hyrule becomes completely engulfed in the sacred realm/dark realm/whatever they call the second world now.

That'll wind up changing the landscape and structures and all of that radically so that it will still seem like a familiar world but at the same time be very different.

Holy shit.

latest

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I want to go underground. All Aonuma said was "this is the same Hyrule". That doesn't mean we're actually going to explore this same Hyrule

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Here's a theory. The "malice" isn't coming from Ganondorf's body, it's coming from the sacred realm/dark realm, using Ganondorf's body as a conduit. He was "used" by the Sheikah (or whomever) to be a seal to close off the sacred realm after it was turned into the dark realm (by him, presumably).

So the malice, all of the monsters from BotW, and Calamity Ganon itself are all just "echoes" of the evil that is waiting in the sacred realm trying to break through into Hyrule, and once the seal is opened and Ganondorf wakes up, Hyrule becomes completely engulfed in the sacred realm/dark realm/whatever they call the second world now.

That'll wind up changing the landscape and structures and all of that radically so that it will still seem like a familiar world but at the same time be very different.
Yeah I was thinking something similar would happen, we know that the power is at least so great that it can terraform the land around hyrule castle at least. If its not the Dark Realm it could at least be the reincarnation of evil that terraforms everything, like Demise possesing ganon (as he always does, but this time its more obvious).

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
They're concept designs for the Guardians. I can't even imagine encountering those things in the wild.
If BotW2 takes place in large part underground (pure speculation), then seeing creatures like this in the depths would be amazing.

Tap into that Demon's Souls feeling where it feels as though you're delving into an ancient realm of the earth filled with old and forgotten evils.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I started thinking of the Mummy movie where the mummy had to full resurrect himself so he went after the group of Americans (sucking their soul?) one by one until he looked like a human again.

Neutra

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
this is tangential to the conversation but I noticed the job listing has salary info and other benefits listed...

5 yrs experience: 4.7mil yen (43k USD)
10 yrs experience: 5.5mil yen (51k USD)
15 yrs experience: 6.8mil yen (63k USD)

as an american living in a high COL area these numbers aren't too impressive BUT below the raw salary numbers they include a "housing allowance" which could be $612/mo for an employee with a family -- that's $7300 a year -- and the company fully compensates employees for their transportation expenses -- a monthly metrocard in NYC is $127 which would be another $1500 of compensation per year.

are these salaries commensurate with what similar employers in the industry would offer? are these benefits common/standard in Japan?

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
this is tangential to the conversation but I noticed the job listing has salary info and other benefits listed...

as an american living in a high COL area these numbers aren't too impressive BUT below the raw salary numbers they include a "housing allowance" which could be $612/mo for an employee with a family -- that's $7300 a year -- and the company fully compensates employees for their transportation expenses -- a monthly metrocard in NYC is $127 which would be another $1500 of compensation per year.

are these salaries commensurate with what similar employers in the industry would offer? are these benefits common/standard in Japan?

We may bever know 😥

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
When does everyone expect to see footage again? I'm going with a surprise reveal at the Game Awards with more footage in a January/February Direct, with E3 2020 having the Day 1 Treehouse dedicated to Zelda like 2016 was.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
When does everyone expect to see footage again? I'm going with a surprise reveal at the Game Awards with more footage in a January/February Direct, with E3 2020 having the Day 1 Treehouse dedicated to Zelda like 2016 was.
I think we maybe get something else this year, if not then early next. (I obviously do not know, it's just a guess)

Deleted member 54216

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 26, 2019

Aka stranger things

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If it's coming 2020 then I would assume tease in the first direct and full look at e3 2020 like you said. Though, I highly doubt it will come in 2020 anyways.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
I think we maybe get something else this year, if not then early next. (I obviously do not know, it's just a guess)
For the Game Awards? They could do both honestly, but if Nintendo wanted to show a new IP I think they would do so under their Direct. A sequel to another franchise (Bayonetta 3 footage maybe?), there are too many options for me to guess for a Game Awards reveal.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Game Awards then E3, but that is only IF its coming next year, they may delay it to 2021 to ensure the highest quality ever

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
If it's coming 2020 then I would assume tease in the first direct and full look at e3 2020 like you said. Though, I highly doubt it will come in 2020 anyways.
The only way I see it being 2021 is because of the launch of next-gen and to give the game breathing room, not to be cramped in a November slot with two $500 consoles launching. If that is the case, I could see a March 2021 release then.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't expect anything. I feel many people today have expectations set too high on these types of things and devs/artists/directors can never live up to the expectations. I'll just go about my day until I see something here that says BotW2 new footage. Until then I won't really care about it other than posting here and there in forums.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only way I see it being 2021 is because of the launch of next-gen and to give the game breathing room, not to be cramped in a November slot with two $500 consoles launching. If that is the case, I could see a March 2021 release then.

Nah, they'd be fine if it was releasing Holiday 2020 since Zelda is one of Nintendo's major franchises, along with Mario, Smash, and Pokemon that would be fine in a crowded release period.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

If the release date is 2020, then yeah, we'll see footage at TGA or E3.

But if the game is 2021 or beyond, then nope, they're gonna go on a media blackout. There's still other games they can show like Bayo 3 and Prime 4.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure this will be a 2020 game. It's a sequel to what everyone has basically agreed is the game of the generation, it's not going to get lost under the next-gen launches. There usually isn't anything truly amazing at launch (stuff like BotW and Halo are outliers) so it should be fine.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
In the reveal trailer there is a very brief clip where it looks like the floor falls out from underneath Zelda, which would in theory, separate her from Link.

I think it'd be cool if we got a Resident Evil 1-style option to choose to play as Link or Zelda, with slightly different explorable areas and story beats. It'd also be a call back to the NES games, with two different versions of the same game available to players.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I want to go underground. All Aonuma said was "this is the same Hyrule". That doesn't mean we're actually going to explore this same Hyrule

I'd love it if they took the world from BOTW and broke it up with some sort of earthquake or something. Certain areas, like Hyrule castle, could float up into the sky, and multiple massive caverns could open up. They could also add the iron boots and allow you to swim underwater to reach some new areas and content.

That way the main landmass could be traversed just as easily as it was in BOTW, but there would be areas underground, underwater, and in the sky that couldn't be accessed by brute forcing your stamina with food and simply climbing up. They would still have the "open air" gameplay of the first game, but with added areas that require an item, or completing a quest line, or figuring out a puzzle, etc . . . in order to access and progress. It would be an amazing way of adding some 3D depth to the game's world and balancing the open air gameplay with recent 3D Zelda games.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the reveal trailer there is a very brief clip where it looks like the floor falls out from underneath Zelda, which would in theory, separate her from Link.

I think it'd be cool if we got a Resident Evil 1-style option to choose to play as Link or Zelda, with slightly different explorable areas and story beats. It'd also be a call back to the NES games, with two different versions of the same game available to players.
What NES games would those be?

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
If it's 2020 title than we will see more at TGA.
Like last time they revealed Botw at E3 2014 and give us more footage at TGA later that same year.

Jan 15, 2019
My gf came up with what I think is a pretty good and surprisingly simple solution to the weapon durability complaints. While I don't have any issue with the durability, it's probably best to tweak a system so many players disliked.

Anyway, she suggested just letting Link use melee attacks (nothing fancy, basic punches) when he doesn't have weapons or has unequipped them. And it'd maybe do like 3-5 damage. Problem solved imo.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Who knows what the hell they will do with this sequel, but I am loving that it seems to be running on a more optimized BotW engine. I freaking love that engine so much.

I am feeling like this Ganoncorpse is a take on the post-Twilight Princess Ganondorf, but not a literal version, and possibly has a more heroic history than most might think. Would be interesting if Link's struggle in this game mirrored that potential fall from grace.

I am also hoping to find out where the Zonai went, and how they might factor into this. It's time, right? (Maybe not.)

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
My bet has been: TGA 2019.
Trailer Ends with "2020"
sometime next year it gets delayed to Q1 2021.
Releases in March 2021

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would love more variety in combat. Like more enemy types, weapon types and bigger combat move set.

If they do that then it would be fantastic.

Jan 15, 2019
I looked all over for those monkeys in the jungle.

In general, it needs more variety.
Absolutely. It would make exploring more rewarding, especially since I doubt they'll re-use a lot of things that acted as "rewards" for exploring in the first: shrines, korok seeds, probably towers.

Would love if BotW2 featured a wider and more fantastical series of things to stumble upon. Some of my favorite moments in the game were seeing the Rito divine beast in the distance for the first time and wondering, "What the fuck is that?!" or seeing a dragon for the first time and thinking "Do I have to fight that?!"

More moments that stoke your curiosity in the same way would be great.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
It would be cool if there was a near invincible roaming enemy in the overworld that you had to either hide or escape from if you came into contact with it. Add a little horror tension.